PDA

View Full Version : Uzbek player attacks American policy on inmigrants: 'They don't want us here'

spiceboy
May 30th, 2004, 12:28 PM
HPTC Singles Finals: Clash of Cultures

Cory Ann Avants and Varvara Lepchenko will play for the championship of the Houston Pro Tennis Classic (HPTC) on Sunday. But the road they took to reach the finals at The Downtown Club at The Met couldn't have been more divergent, both on and off the court.

Avants cruised to an easy 6-0, 6-1 victory over Bruna Colosio of Brazil in less than an hour Saturday. It took Lepchenko more than three hours and two-tiebreaks to win her semifinal against Natallia Dziadmidzenka of Belarus 4-6, 7-6, 7-6.

Avants jokes that she's been groomed for the sport by her tennis-playing and -coaching parents since she was nine months old. Her family owns and operates a tennis club on their estate near Charlotte, North Carolina. Ambidextrous, she pounds forehands from both sides and plays with a confidence belying her 19 years of age.

On the other hand, and as part of an ongoing international drama half a world away, Lepchenko heart is set on seeing her mother again some day, if not her homeland.

The 18-year-old Lepchenko, her father and coach Pete, and sister, Jane, sought and received political asylum from their native Uzbekistan at the 2001 Orange Bowl International Tennis Championships in Miami. The three now call Miami home, but the family is not complete.

"Our mother is still in Tashkent," said Lepchenko after her win Saturday. "We've tried to get her a visa to join us here, but we are refused by the U.S. Consulate."

Just two months ago, 19 people were killed in a suicide bomb blast in Tashkent. While the country, which borders Afghanistan, is considered an ally in the U.S.'s war on terrorism, the country has been beset with political upheaval since breaking away from the old Soviet Union 15 years ago.

"Ninety percent of the people who live in Uzbekistan are Muslims," Lepchenko said. "My family is in the 10 percent that are Russian Orthodox."

Lepchenko says she grew up accepting fear as a normal part of life in her homeland. "Every day coming home from school, Uzbeki kids would throw rocks at the ethnic Russians like me. For many years, I had nightmares."

But, under the tutelage of her father, Pete, Lepchenko's tennis, if not her daily life, improved. In 2000, she finished third in the Girl's 16 division at the Orange Bowl. The next year, when she reached the tournament, she discovered that her entry had been rescinded by the Uzbekistan Tennis Federation.

"The Federation had been trying to force me to change coaches," said Lepchenko. "My father had always been my coach. I think he knew something was going on. He told the Federation that he would accept being replaced, but he wanted a little time before the change."

With Pete still her coach, Lepchenko found herself shut out of the 2001 Orange Bowl. But, something much bigger was brewing. Her father had decided that his two daughters and he would defect.

"He didn't tell us his plan," Lepchenko said. "He was afraid we might say something to someone and ruin the whole thing. But, when we got to Miami, we received political asylum.

"I don't ever want to go back there," Lepchenko said of her native country, "but, I think the U.S. wants us to go back."

Lepchenko's mother, Larissa remains in Tashkent. While daughter and mother speak frequently on the phone and via e-mail, Varvara hasn't seen her mother since her defection. Ironically, it's not the Uzbekistan government that's preventing a reunion.

"I don't think the U.S. wants immigrants in this country, particularly from a place like Uzbekistan," she said. "We've done everything we can think of to get my mother out of there, but we've not had any cooperation. I really think (U.S. officials) want her to stay so that we will have to go back. But, I will never go back there.

"I worry about my mother's safety living in that country."

For a while on Saturday, and again on Sunday during the HPTC finals, Lepchenko puts her worries to rest and focuses on tennis, a sport that has provided sanctuary for her in both a figurative and a very real sense.

But victory won't truly be won until her entire family is reunited.

tenn_ace
May 30th, 2004, 12:35 PM
they could move to Russia... most of people their are Russian Orthodox. and Russia is more flexible with granting asylum to Russians living in former Soviet Republics

treiber04
May 30th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Well she's obviously going to get her mother back now that an article is out. I'm sure tons of people will complain.

esquímaux
May 30th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Uzbekistan can keep Leppy, we'll take Iroda though :lick:

tenn_ace
May 30th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Iroda probably doesn't get stoned there (I bet). :D

Sharapova's_Boy
May 30th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Awww Varvara :sad:

Please take the title - then you can pay to have dear Mum smuggled in :p :devil:

esquímaux
May 30th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Awww Varvara :sad:

Please take the title - then you can pay to have dear Mum smuggled in :p :devil:
:haha:

But what happened to Angela? :smash:

K-Dog
May 30th, 2004, 01:46 PM
The USA is not an immigration port for people from oppressed families etc... I hate how these immigrants act like itr's the US's responcibility to take everyone in. No, we have own country, and it is a privilige to immigrate here. We don't need anymore problems as it is.

azza
May 30th, 2004, 01:49 PM
:sad:

the cat
I think tenn_ace had a good idea about Vavara's family moving to Russia. They would fit right in in Russia. But I hope Vavara's mother can join them in Miami and they get to live the American dream. :)

esquímaux
The USA is not an immigration port for people from oppressed families etc... I hate how these immigrants act like itr's the US's responcibility to take everyone in. No, we have own country, and it is a privilige to immigrate here. We don't need anymore problems as it is.
:haha::haha::haha: "Give us your tired, your weak, and your poor huddled masses" :nerner:

K-Dog
May 30th, 2004, 01:55 PM
:haha::haha::haha: "Give us your tired, your weak, and your poor huddled masses" :nerner:

What is that supposed to mean? The U.S. is not an immigration port. I said I hate of people feel that it's a right for them to come here and live here!!

esquímaux
May 30th, 2004, 02:03 PM
You've never heard that quote? :shrug: Obviously, foreigners are taking us up on that quote ;) So the best advice I have for you is, "move over!" :devil:

tenn_ace
May 30th, 2004, 02:10 PM

not that I care: are you a native in North America?

DelMonte
May 30th, 2004, 02:13 PM

Erm, actually the US (like many other countries in the world) does have international obligations under the 1951 Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol to provide asylum to those who can fulfil the criteria under said convention. I am not saying that the Convention is relevant to the present case, I am just pointing out that the US does have international obligations to provide asylum to people who are persecuted and have to flee their home country. The US is not alone in this; most countries have signed the convention and have the same international obligations.

K-Dog
May 30th, 2004, 02:16 PM

Yep, born in Wisconsin and still live here after the 16 years of my life.

CooCooCachoo
May 30th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Well you can laugh at it, but it's still a gripping story. The family is torn apart and it is quite a case of double standards if they let her and her father in..

K-Dog
May 30th, 2004, 02:18 PM
You've never heard that quote? :shrug: Obviously, foreigners are taking us up on that quote ;) So the best advice I have for you is, "move over!" :devil:

Esquimax, I have heard that quote. I am getting a A+ in U.S. History. I just feel that some foreigners expect the U.S to make a lot of accomidations for them when they arrive here.

tenn_ace
May 30th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Yep, born in Wisconsin and still live here after the 16 years of my life.
and so your folks, and folks of your folks and so on? born in North America?

K-Dog
May 30th, 2004, 02:19 PM
and so your folks, and folks of your folks and so on? born in North America?

no, my ancestors were born in Italy, Germany, and Poland. That was like it the 1800's though!

spiceboy
May 30th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Yeah, that's the question :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm sure most of the people who complain about inmigrants coming to 'their country' are sons or grandsons of inmigrants :fiery: :fiery:

Who do you think you are to say people where do they have to move? As much as I dislike America I honestly believe is a better place to raise your children than Russia. And I can see why Mr. Lepchenko wanted to give their daughters a better life and some opportunities instead of being stoned :tape:

Everyone has the right to look for a better life and we should be aware of how lucky we are living where we live and try to understand people who are not as lucky as we are :angel:

DelMonte
May 30th, 2004, 02:23 PM
no, my ancestors were born in Italy, Germany, and Poland. That was like it the 1800's though!

Well, if you are studying history you must know that at the time your ancestors came to America, the more established communities were saying the exact same things you are saying about potential newcomers today.

tenn_ace
May 30th, 2004, 02:24 PM

oh, so they came to the US too... see my point?

tenn_ace
May 30th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Yeah, that's the question :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm sure most of the people who complain about inmigrants coming to 'their country' are sons or grandsons of inmigrants :fiery: :fiery:

Who do you think you are to say people where do they have to move? As much as I dislike America I honestly believe is a better place to raise your children than Russia. And I can see why Mr. Lepchenko wanted to give their daughters a better life and some opportunities instead of being stoned :tape:

Everyone has the right to look for a better life and we should be aware of how lucky we are living where we live and try to understand people who are not as lucky as we are :angel:

you're not making any sense. try again.

esquímaux
May 30th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Deep breaths spicyboy, deep breaths ;) However once you get over here, there are "things" you see that aren't what was advertised ;)

esquímaux
May 30th, 2004, 02:27 PM

hook, line, and sinker!!! :haha: :smash: @ K-dog for taking the bait ;)

htm
May 30th, 2004, 02:36 PM
What is that supposed to mean? The U.S. is not an immigration port. I said I hate of people feel that it's a right for them to come here and live here!!

Typical white male, It is their right the world belongs to everyone not just white people. Tell me when did GOD say people from other countries can't live in the Good Ole US of A. I think the problem with people like you is that you only want anglo white people to live here and the rest of us Hispanics, Jews, Asians and Blacks can go to hell.

Fantastic
May 30th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Hee-hee... Busted!

K-Dog
May 30th, 2004, 02:54 PM

Everyone who lives in the U.S. is an immigrant. The British immigrants started it, so your point is irrevelent!!

K-Dog
May 30th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Typical white male, It is their right the world belongs to everyone not just white people. Tell me when did GOD say people from other countries can't live in the Good Ole US of A. I think the problem with people like you is that you only want anglo white people to live here and the rest of us Hispanics, Jews, Asians and Blacks can go to hell.

Not really, thanks for trying. I have friends with most of the types of ethnicities you just mentioned. I feel that every person is a human being and should be treated equally. This is about immigration, not racism.

esquímaux
May 30th, 2004, 02:59 PM
:yawn:

spiceboy
Oct 23rd, 2005, 11:10 AM
I've seen Varvara is finally playing some tournaments outside the US...anyone has news about her situation? Did she finally get to see her mum?

Irina123
Oct 23rd, 2005, 11:23 AM
they could move to Russia... most of people their are Russian Orthodox. and Russia is more flexible with granting asylum to Russians living in former Soviet Republics

Russia doesn't welcome immigrants from ex-Soviet republics (especially asian) even if they are ethnic russians.

Junex
Oct 23rd, 2005, 11:40 AM

Unless you are an Native American Indian............ :devil:

And besides for America to be acting like the Worlds Police, America should offer refuge to people affected by their wars!

hingis-seles
Oct 23rd, 2005, 01:53 PM
And besides for America to be acting like the Worlds Police, America should offer refuge to people affected by their wars!

You've nailed it with this statement. :worship:

Meesh
Oct 23rd, 2005, 02:02 PM
Well you can laugh at it, but it's still a gripping story. The family is torn apart and it is quite a case of double standards if they let her and her father in..

Agreed... Hopefully they will be reunited.

Infiniti2001
Oct 23rd, 2005, 02:12 PM
The family need to know that their situation is NOT unique. There are thousands in the US from way before 2001 who have applied for adjustment of status for years, and haven't gotten it. Trust me , I know of such people. Everytime they need to go out of the country say for a family emergency in their homeland, they have to apply for some type of parole. Personally, I think these people should be dealt with first, before bringing more people in :tape:

vogus
Oct 23rd, 2005, 02:20 PM
This is too much of a sob story for me. Lepchenko is very fortunate that she received asylum status and is allowed to stay here. The Russians in Uzbekistan may be a minority but they are also a relatively rich and privileged minority, like the whites in South Africa. There are definitely far greater instances of political repression around the globe than that of Russians in Uzbekistan.

rseto
Oct 23rd, 2005, 02:43 PM
geez, the story is more than 1.5 years old.

i read that the family just received a one year usa passport. that is why she is playing in europe. i think they're in the process of getting the mom over now.

matthieu_tennis
Oct 23rd, 2005, 02:45 PM
why she didnt come to canada :P:P:)

Rtael
Oct 23rd, 2005, 02:59 PM
Everyone who lives in the U.S. is an immigrant. The British immigrants started it, so your point is irrevelent!!

You just made a point against yourself. Good job.

vogus
Oct 23rd, 2005, 04:09 PM

yes, and all the white Europeans living today in France, Britain, Switzerland, and Germany were immigrants once too, they descended from tribes that originated in the Caucasus region. So it isn't only Americans whose country is built on immigration. You're right, his point IS irrelevant.

timafi
Oct 23rd, 2005, 04:28 PM
gd bless them