PDA

View Full Version : Elena into the quarterfinals - good or bad for her?

GoDominique
May 30th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Of course it's a nice result, and if she wins RG then this thread will be irrelevant.
But I'm wondering whether a first-round loss wouldn't have been better for her in the long term.
It's obvious that she won't be able to move into the top 5 with the serve she currently has. And without a change, her serve will ALWAYS be in her mind and influence her game and confidence.

But I don't see that she will change her serve without taking some time off the tour. As long as she has the success she's having right now, she will keep playing, and her serve won't change one bit. Okay, maybe she will work on it during practice, but that won't lead to a steady NEW serve, so in the match, she will always return to the old serve.
And seriously "changing the serve" in fact means changing the whole motion, which includes the first serve, as it's all the same problem. You can't do that during regular practice sessions while playing on the tour.

That's why I think that an early loss might have been better. She has to realize that she's going nowhere with this serve, and only then she will do what is necessary for future success.

foreva lindsay
May 30th, 2004, 12:30 PM
i hope she loses
shes playing momo (more than likely) gooooooooo MOMO :D

WorldWar24
May 30th, 2004, 12:40 PM
I see your point. Professionals say it's very tough for Elena to improve her serve while she is winning such a high % of her matches, getting deep into tournaments every week, etc, coz she doesn't have time to improve her serve. But I think it is definitely better for her to do well here, coz in Australia she fell early and her serve didn't improve much. And since serve is all a matter of confidence anyway, reaching the quarters or better can do wonders to her serve in the future :D

Whatzup
May 30th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Yes.. I see your point.. and you're right. Now she's winning her matches, but if her serve will improve she could be a top 5 player.. because the rest of her game is good. It's so strange that her serve is sooo bad.. because she has the right height for it. So yes I agree with your.. after Wimbledon she could take some weeks of to work for it.. and after the YEC or during the indoor season.

kodeRED
May 30th, 2004, 12:45 PM
listen here..... elena now knows after the nadaqqq final that her serve is in need of a revamp... however ... tarpishev (the russian fed.cup & olympic cpt.) is being and idiot and is threatening to take her olympic spot away. Elena loves the olympics more than anything and so she is just playing a lot to make sure she gets on the team.... after this yr we will see a new serve from dementieva!
ALLEEZZ ELENA!!!!

bandabou
May 30th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Ooh, in that regard....I was already thinking: how can be a QF at a major be bad?! Hmm....the question is CAN the serve be fixed?!

bubble
May 30th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Yes, if her serve can be improved, she can reach for even higher than top 5 ranking . :)

jimbo mack
May 30th, 2004, 01:16 PM
the only time a player can really work on their serves is after the YEC, they have 6-8 weeks off.

thelittlestelf
May 30th, 2004, 01:17 PM
She kinda got lucky to get to the quarters, but nontheless a great result for somebody who's in somewhat of a "slump." If she improved her serve she could be in the top 5, and if it was really good I think she could be #1.

tenn_ace
May 30th, 2004, 01:17 PM
the only time a player can really work on their serves is after the YEC, they have 6-8 weeks off.

why? can't a player spend time everyday practicing serve? (which what Lena does)

tenn_ace
May 30th, 2004, 01:19 PM
She kinda got lucky to get to the quarters, but nontheless a great result for somebody who's in somewhat of a "slump." If she improved her serve she could be in the top 5, and if it was really good I think she could be #1.

Kafelnikov said ( a long time ago) that to win a GS, you do need some luck, especially in week 1.. that guy definitely knew what he was talking about

jimbo mack
May 30th, 2004, 01:21 PM
why? can't a player spend time everyday practicing serve? (which what Lena does)

yes, of course she can, but it'll be a slow process

tenn_ace
May 30th, 2004, 01:24 PM
yes, of course she can, but it'll be a slow processoh... agreed here: fixing serve is slow. I saw Lena in Miami serving during her practice and they (serves) did look just fine. and then she goes and plays against Venus barely serving in that match. :confused: :rolleyes:

imagine now, if Lena fixes it (I'm still hoping), with her ground strokes she'll become a real threat in any draw. :angel:

tennnisfannn
May 30th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Actually as long as every other player also has weaknesses, and they all do, then she can get away with the serve. Jen won 3 slams without a decent serve, Venus 2nd serve is suspect but she cna get away with it. I guess like all other aspects in life, if you strengthen your strengths, then they can compensate for the weaknesses.

lizchris
May 30th, 2004, 04:02 PM
It is bad for her. She would have had a better chance beating Maleeva, but I think she has little chance of beating Mauresmo unless Amelie gets really nervous and starts spraying errors.

Vass22
May 30th, 2004, 04:45 PM
How can it be bad? I don't care if she loses to Momo in QF, because it is better than losing to Lindsay in 4th. One day, even two weeks don't change anthing in her serve. She can not just adopt new service motion because it will take one year of 6 hours a day to get it to the level of her current serve.

Cassius
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:05 AM
I read a match report from one of the posters who saw Elena's match against Davenport, and they said they could notice that Elena's service motion has changed slightly, like she is working on it and it's just starting to change.
By next year the new improved Elena will be ready for action.

darrinbaker00
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:12 AM
Reaching the quarterfinals is always, ALWAYS, better than losing in the first round. ALWAYS. ;)

GoDominique
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:41 PM
So I guess the question has been answered. ;)

And - her serve was decent today. :eek:

foreva lindsay
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:43 PM
its gotta be good for her hasnt it

DEETHELICK
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:15 PM
LOL at this thread. I too want her to work on her serve, but she didnt seem bad at all today. Its the next round where she has to be ready and not take anything for granted.

Udachi Elena, keep on winning girl! :)