PDA

View Full Version : Who is the smarter player Venus or Serena?

henree
May 30th, 2004, 07:24 AM
Watching Serena's past few matches, it has occured to me that Serena doesn't seem to have her head into the game. A big problem in the Talaja match was that Serena couldn't keep her concentration going for a whole match. I mean Serena had all the momentum going with her into the 2nd set. Then she goes and lets her mind wander off. This has made me conclude that between the sisters, Venus is the smarter player and better tactician. What makes Venus difficult to beat, even when her serve isn't working is her point construction and unpredictability. Venus has the ability to play tennis like chess. She can see where the opponent will move before they know. Venus has good court awareness, and can play defense with out moving. Serena seems to be more reactive she has more keen reflexes and athletic ability than Venus. The only reason why Venus hasn't beaten Serena in their last few meetings is because nothing focuses Serena more than winning. And being that these two usually meet in finals, Venus can't do much when Serena is determined and hungry for a title. Taking this all in, I predict that if Serena and Venus can meet in the French Open Semi-final, Venus will take little sister out in straight sets.

Any thoughts...

Nobody's Perfecc
May 30th, 2004, 07:30 AM
One thing: A mental lapse does not mean the other player is a "smarter" player. Just means that that player needs to stay focused in the game and not thinking about outside interests.

However, I do agree with you somewhat. Venus is a slightly better tactician. If that translates as being "smarter" on the court, then so be it. Serena can play some "dumb" points.

Also, if they meet in the semifinals, I'm favoring Venus to win.

CooCooCachoo
May 30th, 2004, 07:31 AM
I think Venus too.

servenrichie
May 30th, 2004, 07:33 AM
So who is the smarter player between Henin and Kim Einstein?

Stefwhit
May 30th, 2004, 07:54 AM
...Any thoughts...
Yeah, I have thoughts... wanna hear em?

"I disagree."

Dymension
May 30th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Venus :D :bounce:

She has better volleys and more variet of shots. At times I still think Serena relies too much on her power ;)

sartrista7
May 30th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Venus is the better tactician, no question. However, Serena is the technically sounder player, so her execution of her tactics will often be better.

So who is the smarter player between Henin and Kim Einstein?

Again, Justine... no question. Venus and Serena are both better tacticians than Kim... bless her blonde brain, but not too many thoughts seem to go through it when she plays, and I've never seen her adapt mid-match to her circumstances. Capriati may be the worst tactician in the top ten, though.

henree
May 30th, 2004, 08:17 AM
I love Capriati, but I don't think she has ever played with a strategy in mind.
During the interview after the Bovina match, she talked about the up and coming match with Schiavone, and she said that the person who wins is the person who hits the ball harder. :tape: She laughed when she said it, so I hope she was just joking.

henree
May 30th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Actually now that I think about it. Kim and Jen are very similar, in that they play without aim, and just hit a hard ball back and forth and wait for an error by the opponent. I must say that both practice impeccable defense though. The problem is that they don't hit enough winners. If Kim would balance out her game 60% offense with 40% defense. She could be unbeatable. Playing nothing but defense against the Williams sisters or Henin is a losing proposition. :p

gRaFiC
May 30th, 2004, 08:38 AM
It all balances out doesn't it? Jennifer makes up for her brain dead tennis with perfect technique coupled with power not to mention excellent defence and good foot speed. She was born to play.

bandabou
May 30th, 2004, 11:11 AM
I big to differ....we should remember that Serena´s just coming back as well. Yeah she had a win in her comeback, but is still adapting to the tour...plus look at their h2h´s against Martina H and we know who´s the better thinker.

Crazy_Fool
May 30th, 2004, 11:22 AM
I big to differ....we should remember that Serena´s just coming back as well. Yeah she had a win in her comeback, but is still adapting to the tour...plus look at their h2h´s against Martina H and we know who´s the better thinker.
The h2h is such a small difference its not really worth talking about. I think Venus is more of a thinker out there, but Serena has a better alround game.

bandabou
May 30th, 2004, 11:25 AM
The h2h is such a small difference its not really worth talking about. I think Venus is more of a thinker out there, but Serena has a better alround game.

O.k...but to me since that Serena seems to anticipate better, so that´s why I´d give the edge to Serena.

catkey94
May 30th, 2004, 12:44 PM
I was watching Venus' match against Mary Pierce yesterday, and I agree that she plays more with her head. I noticed how she sets up points strategically. Venus is a very smart player. I also agree that Serena's game is more techincally sound. Watching Serena play you see that she has more fluid movement, and her groundstrokes are cleaner.

Venus definately plays the smarter game, and Serena has the more athletic game.

tennisIlove09
May 30th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Considering they both graduated High School and went to post secondary...I'd say there both intelligent

Infiniti2001
May 30th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Venus, and not because she is my fav... Compared to Serena, she has the abliltiy to alter her strategy accordingly to her opponents --case in point Amelia Island 2002. Many will have us believe that her opponent choked, but take a good look at that match sometime.

Foot_Fault
May 30th, 2004, 02:15 PM
I see another Williams war Brewing...I hope that Forecast is Cloudy though.:rain:

WF4EVER
May 30th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Serena does have the better game all around and she employs a power game almost exclusively. Sometimes it actually annoys me because I know she doesn't have to hit the ball as hard as she can everytime. But considering that she's not the best volleyer I guess she thinks her shot is more assured if she hits the ball really hard.

In her match vs Talaja she came to net and hit a beautiful backhand volley which was just perfect. In her QF match vs Lindsay 2001USO she also made a beautiful pick-up volley (in the final game, I think). Serena can play a more varied game but she doesn't practise it because she assumes power will do it every time.

The reason why her h2hs were better vs Martina and Lindsay was because she could overpower them. Of course that requires strategy, but in terms of making those adjustments it hasn't been as easy for her.

The key to beating the Serena was not only hitting up the middle (which both sisters eventually counteracted) but also challenging her on your returns. Serena hates to rally so keeping the ball in play does hurt her. OTOH most of the players who rally well serve like shit so they always get screwed in the end. Capriati is the only player who can seriously challenge Serena (forget Venus) because she's got a running game and good strokes like her, but like the others she hasn't always been able to rely on her serve.

The bottomline is, IMO, Venus is undoubtedly the better strategist. They used to tout Martina for being so smart and never gave Venus any credit. THe thing is Serena benefitted a lot from having Venus' lead to follow. Venus had to go out there and take a pounding from Martina and LIndsay and she learned the really hard way how to beat them, while Serena who already had the skills simply had to employ them from watching her sister lose all the time.

Venus has come a long way from being an outright power-playing, error-making, beaded-hair braced-faced upstart thanks to the way she had to learn. Although she still makes a lot of errors (and she always will) UFE's are a very present part of her game because it shows she's not conservative but willing to take risks to get her points. Funny when I see a lot of errors from Serena I'm more worried because she's either not match-fit or playing badly. Serena IMO has not had to worry much about strategising because it's easier for her to overpower her opponents so she usually has tons of winners.

A note about UFEs: I noticed that Roger Federer has been making a lot of UFEs lately, well, not so much at the FO, but after playing a conservative game versus Nalbandian all his life and losing constantly, last at 2003 USO he went to the Masters and was making a ton of errors. I think he realized he had to be willing to take more risks in order to beat Nalby and it worked. His matches on grass were very clean at Wimby, but he's veered a little from that and I think it helps to not always go for the textbook shot all the time.

WorldWar24
May 30th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Venus Williams for sure :D

She knows how to play on clay, especially this year! She is choosing the right moment to attack, keeping the ball in when it matters most. Example - against Sprem, she played like a very good clay courter, cutting down on unforced errors and letting Sprem self-destruct. Sprem had way more than twice the winners Venus had, but clay is not all about winners ;)

Foot_Fault
May 30th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Venus Williams for sure :D

She knows how to play on clay, especially this year! She is choosing the right moment to attack, keeping the ball in when it matters most. Example - against Sprem, she played like a very good clay courter, cutting down on unforced errors and letting Sprem self-destruct. Sprem had way more than twice the winners Venus had, but clay is not all about winners ;)
Prolific!:eek:

prolific

adj 1: intellectually productive; "a prolific writer"; "a fecund imagination" [syn: fecund (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fecund), fertile (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fertile)]