PDA

View Full Version : In raw material terms, Bovina has the most upside potential of the Russians

Volcana
May 30th, 2004, 04:34 AM
She's a long way from using it.

But hse had a serve big enough to get free points. She doesn't hit totally flat, but uses just enough topspin for control. And her footwork allows her to exploit short balls to get to net.

Jenn abused her with low slices, which she'll have to learn to handle.

But I can see HOW this one could actually be a GS winner, something I don't see in the others. I'm not saying she WILL, by any matter of means. But a 6'3" player who can volley, and has a will to go to net, has weapons that can be trained to a GS winning level. She's not just a hard hitter, but she IS a hard hitter.

Of course, I'm biased cause she plays on stilts like Venus.:)

faboozadoo15
May 30th, 2004, 04:35 AM
plus, she packs a serious (at times) DOUBLE syllable grunt! that's a recipe for succes, surely, is it not?

LindsayRocks89
May 30th, 2004, 04:35 AM
i'm just impressed with her game style and of how hard she hits the ball

Volcana
May 30th, 2004, 04:38 AM
i'm just impressed with her game style and of how hard she hits the ball
Yeah but hitting hard is kind of 'a dime a dozen' these days. It's like the platfrom youhave to have to build you game on, but if you don't then build a game, you wind up a high ranked player with no titles.

tennisIlove09
May 30th, 2004, 04:39 AM
I thought so too when I saw her play Capriati at last year's New Haven. But she only seems to play good matches against Capriati.

Go figure.

I still like Sharapova the best of all the Russians.

joao
May 30th, 2004, 04:53 AM
Since Bovina entered the top20, she's gone backwards ... why exactly is she struggling so much lately? She has wins over Capriati and Davenport in the last year ...

Leo_DFP
May 30th, 2004, 05:23 AM
I wouldn't say she has more potential than a Kuznetsova or Petrova.

Anyway, Bovina is too streaky and erratic to ever become a top ten player.

- L i n a -
May 30th, 2004, 05:30 AM
She's a long way from using it.

But hse had a serve big enough to get free points. She doesn't hit totally flat, but uses just enough topspin for control. And her footwork allows her to exploit short balls to get to net.

Jenn abused her with low slices, which she'll have to learn to handle.

But I can see HOW this one could actually be a GS winner, something I don't see in the others. I'm not saying she WILL, by any matter of means. But a 6'3" player who can volley, and has a will to go to net, has weapons that can be trained to a GS winning level. She's not just a hard hitter, but she IS a hard hitter.

Of course, I'm biased cause she plays on stilts like Venus.:)
No... I love Bovina to death... but Lena does not have the most potential of the Russians...

Problem: She's slow as molasses. Maybe even slower than Lindsay. She has the power, and the shotmaking of Davenport... but it's rare that Lena ever hits as cleanly as Lindsay.

Get Bovina on a fast surface... when she's not injured, and playing well... she will control play against every player on tour with her aggressiveness, and put you away at net with her excellent volleying.

Since Bovina entered the top20, she's gone backwards ... why exactly is she struggling so much lately? She has wins over Capriati and Davenport in the last year ...
Lena got mono early in 2003... and that pretty much killed the entire year. Then, once Lena finally was playing well again in Moscow, Filderstadt, and Zurich... she had a nagging knee injury, and that affected her for much of this year also.

Apparently, she's finally back to full health now. Stay that way.

I thought so too when I saw her play Capriati at last year's New Haven. But she only seems to play good matches against Capriati.
Not true... those are just the only matches you, and probably everyone else here, have seen of Bovina.

Lena's match against Venus at Collins Cup '02 was awesome. I know it was just an exho, but Lena played so, so well there. Being able to dictate play against Venus... you don't see that too often.

The best match I've seen from Lena was her Round of 16 match in Toronto against Coetzer. That was a flat-out ass kicking from start to finish. Mandy tried her best to be a wall... but Lena just kept taking everything early, and hitting crazy winner after crazy winner.

tennisIlove09
May 30th, 2004, 05:32 AM
Lina, if what you say is true, Bovina has to be able to move. You can't dicate against Venus and or Jennifer and not be able to move. Venus and Jennifer are two of the best players at hitting offense from defense.

Volcana
May 30th, 2004, 05:48 AM
She didn't look slow against Capriati today.

Epigone
May 30th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Vera Zvonareva defeated Lena 6-3 6-0 in Rome, yet people have written Vera off because of her poor performance against Sharapova. Vera, Lena, and Nadia Petrova are all very steaky players, and they have work to do before they become consistent challengers. Lena appears to be looking better than when I saw her in Sydney, and I hope that her play continues to improve :yeah:

bandabou
May 30th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Gotta work on her movement...but she got game for sure and seems like a competitor.

SpikeyAidanm
May 30th, 2004, 07:28 AM
raw materials :p :yeah:

tyk101
May 30th, 2004, 07:32 AM
i watched her play against shinobu in birmingham last year, I was impressed with her power, but she had no control wt soever, she needs to learn to hold back more

F-R-E-A-K
May 30th, 2004, 08:47 AM
UDACHI LENA BOVINA!

:bounce: Personally, I think Patrova is another player to watch out for, I saw her play and eventhough she lost, I thought that she might be one to win a GS fairly soon. I think if Patrova gets match fit again, she will do demage very soon :D .

:devil: BUT YES!!!! Bovina has really got talent and can hit that ball very hard :D I think if she stays healthy and plays a regular amount of tournaments, she will be a player to watch. :D

sartrista7
May 30th, 2004, 09:17 AM
No... I love Bovina to death... but Lena does not have the most potential of the Russians...

Problem: She's slow as molasses. Maybe even slower than Lindsay. She has the power, and the shotmaking of Davenport... but it's rare that Lena ever hits as cleanly as Lindsay.

She is slow, but I don't think it's Lena's major hindrance... she's not that much slower than Nadia, and she doesn't trip over her own legs like Sharapova.

Unfortunately, I think it's Lena's mental flakiness which will stop her from getting to the top 5... she doesn't play the big points all that well on a consistent basis, and makes some awful tactical decisions on court. :sad:

Aerien
May 30th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Not true... those are just the only matches you, and probably everyone else here, have seen of Bovina.

Lena's match against Venus at Collins Cup '02 was awesome. I know it was just an exho, but Lena played so, so well there. Being able to dictate play against Venus... you don't see that too often.
I taped that match. I think I'll go look for it again.