PDA

View Full Version : First 2004 US Open Wildcard Awarded To...

Tennisace
May 29th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Amber Liu of Stanford, she wins the NCAA singles title for a second straight year defeating Jelena Pandzic of Fresno State 6-4, 0-6, 6-3.

WhatTheDeuce
May 29th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Viva Amber. I liked her ever since I saw her on TV in her US Open loss to Kim.

Eurotennisfan
May 29th, 2004, 07:48 PM
she lost a set 0-6 to another college player? :scared:

Jarrett
May 29th, 2004, 08:11 PM
I saw her play on tv and wasn't really impressed at all, but congrats to her.

Kuti Kis&Monica
May 29th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Hope she'll get a better draw this year

Tennisace
May 29th, 2004, 08:32 PM
I saw her play on tv and wasn't really impressed at all, but congrats to her.
She's really not that good. Her game is to hit the ball deep and be consistent. She doesn't blow you away with winners, she just keeps the ball in play with a little bit of angle and a little bit of power. Her consistency is what wins her matches...hence why she really isn't the best player in collegiate tennis.

Volcana
May 29th, 2004, 10:48 PM
She's really not that good. Her game is to hit the ball deep and be consistent. She doesn't blow you away with winners, she just keeps the ball in play with a little bit of angle and a little bit of power. Her consistency is what wins her matches...hence why she really isn't the best player in collegiate tennis.
Actually, who's better in college tennis?

There are probably 30 players her age or younger who are better, but they're already on the tour.

New
May 30th, 2004, 01:03 AM
Why don't she start by playing qualifiers? At least she'll get some points if she reaches the final round of qualifying rather than meet some seeded player and get knocked out in the first round getting only 2 miserable points...

of course she may upset the seeded players... but it'll be good to have some match practises before a first round match too....

Eurotennisfan
May 30th, 2004, 02:02 AM
Why don't she start by playing qualifiers? At least she'll get some points if she reaches the final round of qualifying rather than meet some seeded player and get knocked out in the first round getting only 2 miserable points...

of course she may upset the seeded players... but it'll be good to have some match practises before a first round match too....
:scared: :scared: :scared: She will have to start at 10Ks and might not even win a match there :scared:

SM
May 30th, 2004, 05:36 AM
jelena pandzic is apprently very talented and slams the crap out of the ball, she showed alot of promise when younger but never fulfilled it...still she must be improving to have nearly won NCAA :)

esquímaux
May 30th, 2004, 05:44 AM
What's the deal with this Kops-"a feel"-Jones girl? :p They had her photo up on Yahoo tennis during the FO and I was like, who the hell is that? :confused: :lol:

Tennisace
May 30th, 2004, 07:40 AM
jelena pandzic is apprently very talented and slams the crap out of the ball, she showed alot of promise when younger but never fulfilled it...still she must be improving to have nearly won NCAA :)
Jelena is very amazing, I saw her play in person two weeks ago. I'm really suprised that she lost to Amber because she crushed Liu in their previous meeting like 6-1, 6-1. Jelena has only lost twice this year, the loss in the finals being her second.

Jelena hits the ball very flat and does whack the cover off the ball, although not as powefully as Jewel Peterson, but she hits with more power consistently. Her serve could use a little more juice but she has excellent placement.

Tennisace
May 30th, 2004, 07:44 AM
What's the deal with this Kops-"a feel"-Jones girl? :p They had her photo up on Yahoo tennis during the FO and I was like, who the hell is that? :confused: :lol:
Raquel won the first Grand Slam event in the NCAA (Riviera-All American) this year and was ranked No. 1 for most of the season. When she's playing well she's amazing because unlike most of the baseline bashers that are being brought up she is very comfortable serve and volleying (and quite good at it). Her major problem this year was suffering from lower back injuries...that and she can be rather incosistent. In the first meeting of the season between Liu and Kops-Jones she cruised 6-1, 6-2...but then got crushed 1-6, 1-6 the next time. That though was her first match back after being out with an injury for about a month.

And although she failed to win the NCAA singles event, she won the doubles event last year with former teammate Chrisitna Fusano.

esquímaux
May 30th, 2004, 11:25 AM
K.

esquímaux
May 30th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Wow, she's got those Clijsters/rugby thighs ;)

Lee-Waters' Boy
May 30th, 2004, 02:22 PM
amber liu is pretty much a joke :tape: