PDA

View Full Version : why do most williamsfans no nothing about tennis before 1999?

jack duckworth
May 29th, 2004, 08:28 PM
most of them never discuss any other tennis before 1999:)....so odd

SJW
May 29th, 2004, 08:28 PM
why didn't you learn the difference between "no" and "know"? :)

jack duckworth
May 29th, 2004, 08:29 PM
see what i mean

SJW
May 29th, 2004, 08:31 PM
my faves went from Steffi, add Gaby, add Monica, add Martina H add the Williamses

i know a lil something about pre 99 :kiss:

jack duckworth
May 29th, 2004, 08:32 PM
thanks honey:)

thedarkone
May 29th, 2004, 08:32 PM
I know I've watched tennis well before they got on the scene, in fact my favorite players were Monica Seles and Andre Agassi.

frenchvee
May 29th, 2004, 08:33 PM
men that has to be one of the worst post of the day, but when you consider the messenger, what did you expect?

come on

do you think that that the justine, the kim fans know more than the williams fans, before 99.

jack duckworth
May 29th, 2004, 08:36 PM
all the talk about is williams career and nothing else :confused: well most do

unOriginally Posted by frenchvee
do you think that that the justine, the kim fans know more than the williams fans, before 99.
yes

TomTennis
May 29th, 2004, 08:38 PM
of course we do know things before 1999! well at least i do!!

TomTennis
May 29th, 2004, 08:38 PM
lol

Mad-About-Venus
May 29th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Tennis existed before Venus played Spirlea in 97 ???

Who would have thank it !!

jack duckworth
May 29th, 2004, 08:44 PM
if i were on a tennis quiz team...say 4 on the team...and 2 of them were williamsfans...i bet we would lose:)

bandabou
May 29th, 2004, 08:44 PM
whatīs up with people calling out williams-fans all day?! Does the thread-starter himself know anything about tennis before ī99?!

arn
May 29th, 2004, 08:52 PM
I guess it's normal, the williams sisters brought a whole new group of fans to the courts who were not fans before like every champion who has a totally different style and his own, different story does.

I'm sure also Kim and Justine brought many new (belgian) fans to the tour, but because the achievements of Dominique and Sabine already were a bit amazing for such a small country like Belgium (they were 2 of our main sports(wo)men), a lot of people here in Belgium followed the tennis already a bit.

Mrs. Peel
May 29th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Tennis existed before Venus played Spirlea in 97 ???

Who would have thank it !!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Duckworth :rolleyes: Get over yourself :tape:

Mrs. Peel
May 29th, 2004, 08:55 PM
whatīs up with people calling out williams-fans all day?! Does the thread-starter himself know anything about tennis before ī99?!
i don't think so...he barely knows how to spell!!!

Brαm
May 29th, 2004, 08:55 PM
:teached: :scared: :retard: :anzela:

sartrista7
May 29th, 2004, 08:57 PM
90% of the posters here know nothing about tennis before 2000... understandable, as the Belgians and the Williamses brought huge new groups of fans to tennis, and a lot of those fans are stupid.

It's only annoying when they claim that their player is the best ever, even if the stats say otherwise, because of nonsense like "there never used to be any competition"... otherwise, it's just quite funny to watch them show their ignorance.

It's certainly not just Williams fans, though a lot of Williams fans aren't very clever or knowledgeable.

Becool
May 29th, 2004, 08:58 PM
what a pathetic post... isnt it obvious? the williams started their domination really in 1999, so most of their fans got into tennis during 1999, and started following them since then... But a lot of people, including me, a lot of fans I meant, know a lot of stuffs about tennis before 1999..

If you meant that we (williams fans) are stupid because of that, think again, and guess whos really stupid?

hingis-seles
May 29th, 2004, 09:01 PM
90% of the posters here know nothing about tennis before 2000... understandable, as the Belgians and the Williamses brought huge new groups of fans to tennis, and a lot of those fans are stupid.

It's only annoying when they claim that their player is the best ever, even if the stats say otherwise, because of nonsense like "there never used to be any competition"... otherwise, it's just quite funny to watch them show their ignorance.

It's certainly not just Williams fans, though a lot of Williams fans aren't very clever or knowledgeable.
:worship:

jack duckworth
May 29th, 2004, 09:02 PM
most of them no nothing about tennis.....its just venus and serena they talk about...not the sport

thedarkone
May 29th, 2004, 09:03 PM
After Vee, Serena, Jen, and Lindsay I could care less about the rest of the players.

sartrista7
May 29th, 2004, 09:10 PM
After Vee, Serena, Jen, and Lindsay I could care less about the rest of the players.

See! Ignorance like this.

I've got no time for people who are only interested in a couple of players.

jack duckworth
May 29th, 2004, 09:10 PM
yes i think that also to...that when williams retire in the next 2 years...most wont post no more:)

GoDominique
May 29th, 2004, 09:13 PM
The problem is that many Williamsfans (and others) know nothing about tennis AFTER 1999 either. :awww:

jack duckworth
May 29th, 2004, 09:15 PM
why are some insulting me?...i never said a bad word to another

brickhousesupporter
May 29th, 2004, 09:18 PM
I could also ask the question why most of the belgian fans know nothing of tennis before Kim and Justine...Many have never even seen Dominique and Sabine play, except for exhibitions?

jack duckworth
May 29th, 2004, 09:25 PM
yes i aree...some of the belgian fans to...but they are young..like13-20 age old...and just new to tennis via justine and kim:)...but williamsfans are like well over 35-upwards age old

Mad-About-Venus
May 29th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Shut up everybody... I know all about Claudia Schieffer, or some german chick kicking everybody's ass for a long time. And Conchita Vicario, who had a brother too on the tour, and who else.. oh yeah... Cristina Everett who had a great rivalry with Monica Seles and stuff... also Sabatini won a bunch of Slams and Pam Shriver... geeze!! Give us a break!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Some of you just can't accept the fact that "us" Williams fans are happy people, with happy idols who bring us plenty of satisfaction. I understand that our idols beat the crap out of your idols and that brings frustration into your lifes, but guess what? It's always been like this, one has to win, one has to lose. Hating us is not the answer. I don't have the need to come up here and unleash the Dragon on players that beat Venus.. or their fans. You shouldn't either. Move on people.

cheo23
May 29th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Ya, this is a Very Stupid Post..I know My Tennis Even Before My girl SERENA won her 1st Grand Slam at the US OPEN. U can Ask Me Anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Cheo23!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!! LOL

SerialKiller#69
May 29th, 2004, 09:35 PM

a lot.

SerialKiller#69
May 29th, 2004, 09:35 PM
The problem is that many Williamsfans (and others) know nothing about tennis AFTER 1999 either. :awww:
:lol:

No offense willies. Just find this post funny.:)

jack duckworth
May 29th, 2004, 09:40 PM
when you read mad-about-venuss post...it explains everything

- L i n a -
May 29th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Everyone should be a tennis encyclopedia like me.

faste5683
May 29th, 2004, 10:17 PM
Shut up everybody... I know all about Claudia Schieffer, or some german chick kicking everybody's ass for a long time. And Conchita Vicario, who had a brother too on the tour, and who else.. oh yeah... Cristina Everett who had a great rivalry with Monica Seles and stuff... also Sabatini won a bunch of Slams and Pam Shriver... geeze!! Give us a break!

You're kidding here, right?

:wavey:

Foot_Fault
May 29th, 2004, 10:27 PM
why didn't you learn the difference between "no" and "know"? :)
I love it, Brilliant Post. :bounce: :lol:

cheesestix
May 29th, 2004, 10:30 PM

You remember when that reporter called Jim Everett (QB for the Rams) "Chris Evert"? Oddly enough, he didn't seem to find it funny.

Mad-About-Venus
May 29th, 2004, 10:31 PM

Yes faste5683, I'm totally kidding, and duckface or whatever his name is knows it too.

Foot_Fault
May 29th, 2004, 10:31 PM
See! Ignorance like this.

I've got no time for people who are only interested in a couple of players.
Well, Why even respond to them? :rolleyes: All these "Ignorant Ass" Unknowlegeable Williams Fans, and yet none of them are on You Guys Ignore List. Why?:confused: You can't be interested in what their "dumb asses" are saying? Ignore them all!:tape: :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fingon
May 29th, 2004, 10:34 PM
The problem is that many Williamsfans (and others) know nothing about tennis AFTER 1999 either. :awww::bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Lady
May 29th, 2004, 10:53 PM
And why should they know? Should I feel ashamed that I started watching tennis in 2002?

Like it makes a person better if he/she watched tennis longer? Why to create a thread trying to insult Williams fans?

Mad-About-Venus
May 29th, 2004, 10:56 PM
And why should they know? Should I feel ashamed that I started watching tennis in 2002?

Like it makes a person better if he/she watched tennis longer? Why to create a thread trying to insult Williams fans?

You are such a nice soul Lady !!:hearts: We need more like you... lot's more :lol: There is a tone of haters on this board!! :rolleyes:

Nicely said! ;)

Foot_Fault
May 29th, 2004, 10:58 PM

Nuff Said!:tape:

bandabou
May 29th, 2004, 11:05 PM

Youīre good!!

Cam'ron Giles
May 29th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Hi Jack...got a little suprise coming for you...stay tuned...:wavey:

faste5683
May 29th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Yes faste5683, I'm totally kidding, and duckface or whatever his name is knows it too.

Good. Btw, Conchita Vicario had *two* brothers who played tennis.

:kiss:

Cam'ron Giles
May 29th, 2004, 11:12 PM
Yeah there are so many posers on this board...The Williams Sisters braught out as much haters as fans and this board knows it...You see, many thaught that tennis would remain lilly white untill the sisters came on the scene and shook things up...that threat braught most of you guys out in droves...admitt it Jack...You never touched a tennis ball pre 2001 :lol:

cheesestix
May 29th, 2004, 11:15 PM

Nothing wrong with getting interested after Venus and Serena became popular.

But are you one of those fans that brags about how the ratings skyrocket when Venus or Serena is in a tournament, and decline when there's not a Williams in the tournament?

The explanation for that is simple. Many Williams fans won't watch tennis unless a Williams is playing. They're Williams fans first, tennis fans second (if at all).

Infiniti2001
May 29th, 2004, 11:18 PM
Nothing wrong with getting interested after Venus and Serena became popular.

But are you one of those fans that brags about how the ratings skyrocket when Venus or Serena is in a tournament, and decline when there's not a Williams in the tournament?

The explanation for that is simple. Many Williams fans won't watch tennis unless a Williams is playing. They're Williams fans first, tennis fans second (if at all).

Geez cheesetix , you're like a bloody rottweiler with a bone. Give it a rest already!! SHEESH :rolleyes: :tape:

Volcana
May 29th, 2004, 11:34 PM
most of them never discuss any other tennis before 1999:)....so oddI'll be perfectly happy to match pre-1999 tennis with you anytime you want.

What player was an unranked US Open finalist in 1997?:)

SHOULD there be asterisk next to 1973 Wimbledon champ? If so why?

Who was the accomplished Russian female player ever?

how many women have won six GS singles titles?

cheesestix
May 29th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Yeah there are so many posers on this board...The Williams Sisters braught out as much haters as fans and this board knows it...You see, many thaught that tennis would remain lilly white untill the sisters came on the scene and shook things up...that threat braught most of you guys out in droves...admitt it Jack...You never touched a tennis ball pre 2001 :lol:

Can't speak for Jack, but I played (and watched) tennis way before the Williams sisters were around.

Your statement though, is what pisses people off about Williams fans. What's up with all of this "lilly white" bullshit? What pisses people off is you guys calling non-fans "racist" (that's basically what you're saying with your "lilly white" comment....and it's been said outright before).

Disgustingly enough, it's you guys that want to make it about "black vs white" and some of you get some sort of satisfaction not from Williams or tennis but from "black beats white". You may deny, but you know it's true.

cheesestix
May 29th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Geez cheesetix , you're like a bloody rottweiler with a bone. Give it a rest already!! SHEESH :rolleyes: :tape:

Why is it that you guys start a topic, discuss it, but when I jump in, you come with all of this "Give it a rest!" bullshit????? I didn't start the damn thread, I'm just posting "on topic"!

Celeste
May 30th, 2004, 12:10 AM
A lot of Williams fans got into the game because they are Black, nothing wrong with that. A lot of Williams fans are player fans only, and not tennis fans. Nothing wrong with that. When they pretend to be something else and pull everything off the Internet and pretend to be great, well then....

Santorofan
May 30th, 2004, 12:19 AM
The Williams sisters brought a lot of people into the sport - so what - that's suppose to be a bad thing????! Let's get off our high horses and start to be a little more welcoming to the newbies, shall we??!

SJW
May 30th, 2004, 01:17 AM
well i'll be damned if being a Williams fan means i should be ashamed. :) they seem to be at the butt of everyone's jokes, but we're having the last laugh more often than not :)...maybe tennis before 1999 isn't discussed because we're in 2004 buddy :)...there's a blast from the past forum if you're feeling nostalgic about pre booty-whooping tennis :)

don't hate...being a Williams fan seems to mean we're supposed to be stupid...what's your excuse? :)

VeNuS#1LoVa
May 30th, 2004, 01:20 AM
For me, I started watching/following/playing tennis after I saw Venus vs. Martina in the U.S. Open Semis 1999. Before then I had never watched a whole match, or played in my life. Now I'm a 5.0 future pro, and Venus's #1 Fan.

"Topaz"
May 30th, 2004, 01:20 AM
I went by a tennis camp the other day and saw a whole bunch of children (40 t0 50 of them) hitting tennis balls. Some across the nets, others just on the field with no net. They must have been 9 or 10 years old, all amazingly claiming to be Williams fans. I'm talking here about Canada not even the States where the phenomenon might be more pronounced. Let me tell you, I didn't expect them to know about tennis prior to year 2000! People, young or old, are just what they are and know just what they know; granted everybody can learn and usually does.

Williams fans, hey, they come in all ages and all colors; all religions too, I suppose. One thing they have in common, I've noticed, is that they are all excited about their faves. I am. The excitement often clouds the vision of the non-discerning observer and he/she may conclude it's all about the sisters and not tennis. Wrong ... It's tennis first. If it were a question of ethnicity, some of these fans (herein being pigeon-holed) could have easily navigated towards other fields of endeavor or sports where there are more successful blacks.

VeNuS#1LoVa
May 30th, 2004, 01:21 AM
Plus I'm only 15 :angel:

SJW
May 30th, 2004, 01:21 AM
^you could've fooled me :kiss:

VeNuS#1LoVa
May 30th, 2004, 01:23 AM
^you could've fooled me :kiss:
:hearts: :kiss: :wavey:

volta
May 30th, 2004, 01:25 AM
WTF......why you say Williams Fans when we are not the same just because you read some1 or 1000 williams fans that donīt know tennis before 99 they donīt represent all of us. and whatīs the big deal with knowing nothing of tennis before 99? many people didnīt had an "Idol" on Tennis till the Sisters come on tour so f*** off and get over it.
this is another stupid topic. bah

fammmmedspin
May 30th, 2004, 01:31 AM
Same reason as someone starting in 1988 wouldn't know much about Evert or Goolagong. Plus there are new groups of fans who like the williams whilst some people prefer what ca,e before. but as fans is fickle and individual you also have fans who support players that only they can see anything in common between.

Stefwhit
May 30th, 2004, 01:35 AM
Shut up everybody... I know all about Claudia Schieffer, or some german chick kicking everybody's ass for a long time. And Conchita Vicario, who had a brother too on the tour, and who else.. oh yeah... Cristina Everett who had a great rivalry with Monica Seles and stuff... also Sabatini won a bunch of Slams and Pam Shriver... geeze!! Give us a break!...
:haha: :rolls:
why didn't you learn the difference between "no" and "know"?
:lol: :lol:
The problem is that many Williamsfans (and others) know nothing about tennis AFTER 1999 either.
Well one thing I know for sure, my favorite current player on tour will beat your favorite current player on tour more often than not...jealous much??

The truth of the matter is we all knew this thread starter was off the mark when he/she stated "most" Williams fans. The only thing that "most" Williams fans have in common with each other is their respect and admiration for one or both of the sisters, contrary to popular beleif we are a group of fans just as diverse as any other group (maybe even more so). So many people get really eager to lump all Williams fans into one small group, but that just shows their ignorance.

I've been watchin' tennis since the mid 80's but what's the relevance in that? Everyone started watchin' at one point and prior to that point most people don't go back in time to see what happened in the world of tennis 15 years prior. It's interesting that the thread starter singled out Williams fans cuz honestly 90% of the topics on the GM board have to do with what's happening in today's game- not what happened in the 80's. :wavey:

Black Mamba.
May 30th, 2004, 02:30 AM
I'm just a fan of tennis, but my question is what does it matter if a certain set of fans don't know something about tennis before their favorties came along? Before Michael Jordan started playing basketball I was interested in basketball, but I became a fan when he came into the league and I'm still a fan after he left but just because I didn't follow basketball closely before he came into the league doesn't mean I'm any less of a fan than those who follwed the sport before I did. To say that the Sisters' fans are stupid or unknowledgable just because some may not know about tennis before 1999 is unfair because to them tennis wasn't cool or worth watching until Venus and Serena came onto the scene, but they gave them a reason to watch so to them knowing about a tennis past that doesn't include their favorties is sometimes irrelevant. Someone also said that the sisters' fans think they are the greatest to ever play the game, I don't know if someone said that, but if they did it is just like when people say Kobe Bryant is better than Michael Jordan those who say that weren't probably fortunate enough to see Michael play in his prime, just like those who may claim Serena and Venus are the greatest to ever play probably never saw Martina Nav play in her prime. They make these comparisionsnot because they are trying to disrespect legends, but because they have such faith and confidence in their favorite players that they are the best because they never watched the greatest play.

fammmmedspin
May 30th, 2004, 03:38 AM
:haha: :rolls:

:lol: :lol:

Well one thing I know for sure, my favorite current player on tour will beat your favorite current player on tour more often than not...jealous much??

The truth of the matter is we all knew this thread starter was off the mark when he/she stated "most" Williams fans. The only thing that "most" Williams fans have in common with each other is their respect and admiration for one or both of the sisters, contrary to popular beleif we are a group of fans just as diverse as any other group (maybe even more so). So many people get really eager to lump all Williams fans into one small group, but that just shows their ignorance.

I've been watchin' tennis since the mid 80's but what's the relevance in that? Everyone started watchin' at one point and prior to that point most people don't go back in time to see what happened in the world of tennis 15 years prior. It's interesting that the thread starter singled out Williams fans cuz honestly 90% of the topics on the GM board have to do with what's happening in today's game- not what happened in the 80's. :wavey:
Well said. I think the problem comes when we get all those threads saying williams sister on 27 match winning run - where we think Navratilova isn't worrying yet then or the ones that came not from board members but the WTA itself about Justine breaking the points record oblivious of the fact that she had less points than Hingis, navratilova or Graf if you used the same rules to add up the points. Support is fine. Perspective needs perspective.

Sam L
May 30th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Very well asked. And it's pretty obvious why because they're only fans of them for one reason. :tape:

And lol @ GoDomique. :thumbsup:

Sam L
May 30th, 2004, 03:45 AM
A lot of Williams fans got into the game because they are Black, nothing wrong with that. A lot of Williams fans are player fans only, and not tennis fans. Nothing wrong with that. When they pretend to be something else and pull everything off the Internet and pretend to be great, well then....
You've got a lot of balls for saying that, and it's funny that no one acknowledged what you said. Preach! :kiss:

moon
May 30th, 2004, 04:29 AM
A better question would be: Why are some people on this board so obsessed with what Williams fans do in their spare time? GET A LIFE!