PDA

View Full Version : Great job Jen

Chance
May 29th, 2004, 06:19 PM
No I'm not talking about her win against Bovina, though it was good to see Jen winning a tough 3 set battle. No, I'm talking about her interview- handled the bait questions excellently!!!!

http://www.rolandgarros.com/images/headers/fo4510h2_e.gif Q. As someone who has won here before, can you talk about the particular qualities you need to win in Paris as opposed to other tournaments?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Well, I think being on the red clay, you definitely have to be fitter. You have to be fit anywhere to play any Grand Slam. But I think it's just the whole mindset is different here because you just -- you know, it slows things down. You can't just, you know, blast anyone off the court, I think. You really have to kind of work the point, work the rally, you know, just be physically fit and have a lot of patience out there.

I think you have to be very focused, try to block out, you know, a lot of the things going on around, if there's any distractions. You know, so even like from the first match really, it was tough. That it can be, especially here. Every match can be tough.

Q. Do you consider yourself a hundred percent fit right now or you would like to be better?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: I think I can be better. I think that's a good thing, to know that I'm still playing well, and I'm still moving great, and I'm not even like a hundred percent yet. I think you get stronger as each match anyway. It makes you fitter and fitter, especially with the kind of matches I've had here so far.

Q. You have to play Francesca Schiavone next round. You played her in the US Open. Do you think it's more difficult to play her on clay or not?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Well, I've played her on clay before. I played her in Berlin on clay. She must be playing well if she's at this point. You know, I think probably it's her best surface, the clay.

Again, you know, it's just being ready for that kind of tennis, I mean, where it's just you can't just like make winners, the points are going to be faster, like on a hard court, let's say.

But, you know, we'll see what happens. But I expect her to play, you know, much better than the last times.

Q. You've won Roland Garros. That for sure is a good memory. Where would you like to play the match of your life, which surface? Where do you think you play the best?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: I mean, I've played good matches on every surface, yeah, and every tournament, I think. Really, I've had some pretty classic matches everywhere that I can remember.

Q. All the US women left in the draw, you, Lindsay, the Williamses, have had absences from the tour for a few months or longer. Can you talk about what's the hardest part of sort of getting back to the level you want to be at when you've had an extended time away from the tour?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: You know, it's just coming back and just knowing that maybe there's still things, you know, missing or you're not really a hundred percent there yet, like you were before. You know, no matter how hard you train, whatever, I think it's just always going to be tough.

It's just being match tough really, I think, you know, getting in tight situations, if you're really not used to closing it out when you need to, just kind of losing concentration, not used to, you know, staying focused, you know, the whole time you're out there. So, uhm, I think -- and the hardest thing is just, you know, to keep going even if you've had some bad losses, too.

You've just got to stay positive and know that you've got to give yourself time to get back.

Q. It sounds like the mental sharpness is harder to get back than the physical sharpness?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Yeah, I would say so. It depends on how you're training, basically. But I think that also makes it easier, too. They kind of both work together. If you're physically very sharp, I think mentally you're not -- you know, it's not going to use as much energy.

Q. The year that you won the French here, you were in amazing shape. How would you classify your shape now as compared to a couple of years ago, your endurance, strength, things like that?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: I think I'm pretty close, yeah. I mean, maybe I'm just a little bit stronger now, maybe got a little more power on my shots. But as far as the endurance, I mean, you know, we'll have to see. But so far, I think it's been pretty good. You know, I've had some tough matches here and I think I'm just getting better and better. I feel like I'm more flexible now.

Q. Are you training much differently than you did in those days? Are you still doing a lot of core strength work, mixing up your physical work a lot?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Yeah, I'm still doing that and some other things, too.

Q. Top secret?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Well (smiling). It's just kind of hard to explain everything. I'd be here for a while, to say every exercise, you know.

Q. My understanding was that you have a new regime in terms of training fairly intense. Could you describe a little bit of what's gone on?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: I don't think, you know, probably my trainer would want me to talk about it. He's more like it's top secret (laughter).

No, basically it's just all about simulating what's going on out there on the court. A lot of repetition of the same thing. You're not just going side to side a couple times in the match. You're basically doing that the whole time, I mean, of course, and then between sideways, front ways, lunges. So basically it's working those exercises for a long period of time.

Q. Is it the best conditioning program you've had in your career, would you say?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: One of the best. I mean, for right now it's really what I need because of, you know, the injuries that I've gotten. It's just a way to make sure that I can still train hard, but still, you know, stay healthy basically.

You know, a couple other things I can't do, you know, maybe that I did before. But, I mean, there's so many different ways of training basically.

Q. You've had a long, successful relationship with your father as far as coaching, but you've always tried different people, introduced different people along the way. I'm wondering if you think the Williams sisters would benefit from bringing in some other voices to their games?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: I think they're doing all right where they are right now, so...

I mean, if all of a sudden they just dropped out of the Top 10, then maybe. You know, but...

Q. Venus already did.

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: You know what I mean. But she's coming back, right?

You know, it's not always just one thing like, "Okay, it must be the coach, it must be this." It's always a combination of things. I think you just have to like look at the whole package and see if you want to change some things. Maybe if it is just the one thing, then, yeah, you should just look into it.

You know, I have no idea how the structure is there - what works for them, what doesn't, you know.

Q. If one of them came up to you and said, "Jennifer, I've been coached by my mom and dad forever. What do you think about trying a different coach?" What would you say to them?>

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: I would just say that, "Go for it. You're the one that's basically doing it all out there, and you're going to have to pay the price. You don't want to look back and have any regrets. At least you know you've tried everything. If your parents love you, they'll be very supportive."

Q. Considering how well you played in Rome, are you concerned or surprised at all that you've had some pretty tough tussals in the early going here?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: No. I mean, I would expect that in a Grand Slam. I mean, that's where everyone plays better and steps it up a notch. You know, I still enjoy these kind of matches. I like it where I have to work, and I have to work my way into it. I think it better prepares me for the tougher matches that are, you know, going to come ahead because I'll be so kind of used to it, you know, already.

So it's not like all of a sudden I have to just, you know, have a tough match.

Q. A bit off topic, but you played Lee here, didn't you, in the French Open? Didn't you lose to her early in the tournament.

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Who?

Q. The Chinese player Lee.

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Lee? No. Like way back in the past?

Q. Yes.

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Was it the same girl?

Q. No, different girl. I was just wondering how you felt about the Chinese players coming on. What do you feel like it would do for the game or tennis worldwide if they were to start doing well consistently?>

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: I think it's great to make it really worldwide. I think it is huge even over there in Asia. You know, have a sponsor in that part of the world. You know, I guess they just haven't been able to play that much.

I mean, anytime you can add more depth, I think it's great for the game. It just makes it better.

Q. There's some talk about potentially going to Shanghai maybe for The Championships next year. How would you feel about that, taking the event to a different place? It's not for sure, but there is discussion.

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Well, I think, you know, when the time comes, have to make a decision then and see. But, you know, it depends how bad you want to play it. If you want to play The Championships, you're going to have to go wherever.

I'm sure they would really do everything they could to make it really a great event over there. And I don't know, I mean, how the men's went over there. I'm sure it was successful.

Mase
May 29th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Definitley a good interview, keep it going Cappy!

*abby*
May 29th, 2004, 07:46 PM
well in jen good interview!!!

UDiTY
May 29th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Wow Jenn seemed well-spoken in that interview.

I was surprised Bovina took Jenn to 6-4 in the third. She moves badly, especially on the clay. And I thought she wanted to be like Venus.:confused:

6.45PM
May 29th, 2004, 09:04 PM
great interview jen :worship:

bello
May 30th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Nice Jen, good to see she isnt giving people the satisfaction of having too much to tralk about/criticize!

LOVE HER!!!!!!!!! xoxoxoxox

foreva lindsay
May 30th, 2004, 05:35 PM
go jen!!
good luck in your match :D

LindsayRocks89
May 30th, 2004, 05:49 PM
I just wanna give Jen a hug :hug: