PDA

View Full Version : Does Maria Sharapova have what it takes to upset Amelie or Lindsay?

TennisOK
May 29th, 2004, 05:09 PM
She is quite talented and under-ranked. It took Jennifer 3 sets in Berlin to hold her down. This year, like Nadia in 03, Maria probably will make the semi, so do you think she can beat either one of them to reach the final?

!<blocparty>!
May 29th, 2004, 05:13 PM
No, she is too young and reletively inexperienced.

bandabou
May 29th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Hmm......don´t know about her beating Momo....Maria doesn´t seem to like spins and slice and that´s all she´s gonna get against Momo and Lindsay does everything better than Maria save moving.

sartrista7
May 29th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Masha won't 'probably' reach the semi... she will 'probably' lose to Suárez. And no, she can't beat either Amélie or Lindsay on clay.

Then again, I haven't seen her play yet, and I didn't think she'd beat Vera, so maybe she's grown a brain and learnt how to run without falling over her own legs in the past two weeks.

Mad-About-Venus
May 29th, 2004, 05:15 PM
I very much doubt it.

TennisOK
May 29th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Masha won't 'probably' reach the semi... she will 'probably' lose to Suárez. And no, she can't beat either Amélie or Lindsay on clay.

Then again, I haven't seen her play yet, and I didn't think she'd beat Vera, so maybe she's grown a brain and learnt how to run without falling over her own legs in the past two weeks.
Actually during the match, the commentator said the spins given to her from Magui last year would not be that much of a problem this year since Maria has been more consistent and experienced. Though relatively inexperienced comparing to Amelie.

sarza
May 29th, 2004, 05:28 PM
im going be different here, so yes i think that masha could cause an upset here and beat both momo and lindsey, i mean god the way the FO is going anything can happen

Warrior
May 29th, 2004, 05:29 PM
not yet

Eurotennisfan
May 29th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Well if any of you saw Amelie last year against SERENA or Amelie against Kandar (while I don't think that Masha will get that far) expect her to kill and nervous Amelie

charmedRic
May 29th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Actually during the match, the commentator said the spins given to her from Magui last year would not be that much of a problem this year since Maria has been more consistent and experienced. Though relatively inexperienced comparing to Amelie.
I believe so, I think Maria is a lot more experience now than last year. She wont take it in 2 easy sets, but watch out I think she's got the stamine to take away a fight.

Bitter Anyone? Seriously...you don't do the things Maria does without a brain...heck you can't play tennis without a brain...it's 90% mental pal.
Maria can definitely take any match he she plays her best...as far as her long legs go, she's only 17...she JUST stopped growing. So watch out cus her movement will only get more sleek.

Well if any of you saw Amelie last year against SERENA or Amelie against Kandar (while I don't think that Masha will get that far) expect her to kill and nervous Amelie
Exactly! If Maria shows up with her A game...and say Lindsay has a bad day...Maria can take it. If Amelie lets her nerves get to her...Maria can definitely run away with that match.

...let's see what happens! But regardless BEST OF LUCK TO ALL THESE LADIES!

GermanBoy
May 29th, 2004, 07:44 PM
No, not Lindsay... :cool:

thelittlestelf
May 29th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Never say never, but probably not.

LindsayRocks89
May 29th, 2004, 08:01 PM
I would doubt she would beat either, a slight chance of her beating an unstable MoMo, but Lindsay, i don't think so :angel:

Andrew.
May 29th, 2004, 08:17 PM
No. Her hype-ness will not defeat either.

Volcana
May 29th, 2004, 08:22 PM
She is quite talented and under-ranked. It took Jennifer 3 sets in Berlin to hold her down. This year, like Nadia in 03, Maria probably will make the semi, so do you think she can beat either one of them to reach the final?
a) I would disagree she under-ranked. She does have 17 tournaments, and is currently ranked #20. Since rankings are an across-all-surfaces measure, I'd say hse ranked correctly, given what she's shown so far, against what those ranked ahead of her have shown.

b) I'd make her maybe 50-50 to beat Paola Suarez.

So...

I can't see her beating Lindsay. She'll be facing a smarter, more experienced player who hits harder.

I don't see her beating Amelie, but I can see Amelie folding under the pressure of the French media and fans.

per4ever
May 29th, 2004, 08:29 PM
if Maria can bring her A-game she can definitly beat them. She beat Amelie in Ciney (end of december, exhibition tournament). I was stunned by her play then.

foreva lindsay
May 29th, 2004, 08:44 PM
if she gets through she better not upset lindsay lol

the cat
May 29th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Da, Maria has what it takes to upset Mauresmo or Davenport.

fried_beans
May 29th, 2004, 09:09 PM
She has to beat Weingartner and Suarez/Zheng first.

Jarrett
May 29th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Of course she has a chance to beat them but it would really be in their hands. Maria doesn't have the game to overpower a top 5 player (not now at least) when they are playing there best. If they have an off day though, expect an upset. IMO.

WorldWar24
May 29th, 2004, 09:18 PM
She has what it takes, but I don't think she will

hingis-seles
May 29th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Her serve is too off. She served way too many doublefaults against Vera. Vera played a poor match. I saw the whole thing. Maria was good, but Vera was off.

VS Fan
May 29th, 2004, 09:51 PM
No.

- L i n a -
May 29th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Underranked? :haha:

Wait until this Fall, when she plays real tournaments... and can't defend those awesome Tier III's.

ktwtennis
May 30th, 2004, 01:28 AM
Who's to say Momo won't crumble under the French pressure or Davenport have a negative attitude...It all depends on the day...

Berlin_Calling
May 30th, 2004, 01:42 AM
I think it would be AMAZING if Masha could make the final here. Who would have seen it coming? Especially on her worst surface. BUT With that being said, Masha has to win two more rounds even to get to the semis. I don't think anyone should underestimate Marlene because when she is having a good day (which is rare :o) she can play a top 15 player. Even though Masha is the favorite, she needs to watch out. In the quarterfinals, Masha will most likely play Suarez, who is also very tough. If Masha can keep her nerves, she can outhit Suarez, who is sometimes streaky.

Now if Masha manages to make it to the semis (I really hope Im not jinxing her), she will most likely play Lindsay or Amelie. Although Amelie should be a harder player to beat on clay, this is Roland Garros and anything can happen. I think that Masha will be mentally stronger in this match against Amelie, who has a history of choking on the big occasions in Paris. Lindsay will be the toughest opponent for Masha, but if Lindsay has an off day, Masha will be able to take advantage, and exploit Davenport's movement also.

the cat
May 30th, 2004, 02:47 AM
I'm only concerned with Maria being able to beat Marlene Weingartner in the round of 16. That's a tricky match because Weingartner could outmaneuver Masha the way she did Nadia. And Masha has trouble against players who change the pace.

~|Naomi|~
May 30th, 2004, 03:20 AM
If Maria makes the semi she won't have had to have beaten a top 10 player whover she plays is likely to be Lindsay or Amelie, so whoever wins that probable match up is going to be full of confidence, match tough mentally and playing well.

KoOlMaNsEaN
May 30th, 2004, 03:22 AM
I don't think she will. it would be just an achievement to reach the semis.

Gnaag
May 30th, 2004, 03:23 AM
I certainly think Sharapova could knock off Mauresmo. Mauresmo has been serving poorly and has already struggled against players no where near as talented as Sharapova. Not to mention that she has a history of self-destructing at Roland Garros. There is a real chance that Mauresmo would cave under the pressure and simply hand her the match. Sure Mauresmo is a good clay court player, but I don't put much stock in the court surface in the women's game.

Davenport would be much more dangerous. Unlike Mauresmo, there is almost zero chance of Davenport choking, especially on a big stage like a Grand Slam semi-final. But if Davenport starts to struggle and gets into one of her grumpy moods, Sharapova is one of those players who has the weapons to take advantage of the situation and give Davenport a big scare at the very least.

Sharapova's confidence will play a factor as well, and her confidence seems to be very high right now. That's one edge I certainly think she would hold over Mauresmo.

In any case, Sharapova would likely have to get past Suarez first, and Suarez is the type of player who would really give Sharapova some trouble.

Eurotennisfan
May 30th, 2004, 03:23 AM
Well considering that Davenport lost to some unknown 60+ ranked player and Amelie has lost to the likes of Jana Kandar...her chances are slightly higher against these two than... 250,000 to 1 ;).