PDA

View Full Version : The French Crowd and French Players

tennisIlove09
May 29th, 2004, 03:01 PM
They don't always support them. remember 2001 4th RD? Hingis def. Testud something like 6-2 2-6 6-1. The crowd threw EGGS at Testud after the match :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

PointBlank
May 29th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Why?

tennisIlove09
May 29th, 2004, 03:06 PM
cuz she lost, I guess

swiss
May 29th, 2004, 03:08 PM
quite a stupid thread :eek: that's not true of course

Veritas
May 29th, 2004, 03:17 PM

Why not? Parts of the French crowd don't always support their players (unless they win, of course).

pigam
May 29th, 2004, 03:18 PM
They don't always support them. remember 2001 4th RD? Hingis def. Testud something like 6-2 2-6 6-1. The crowd threw EGGS at Testud after the match :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
:confused:

Tryphon
May 29th, 2004, 03:19 PM
It's not the crowd threw eggs it's one individual threw one egg. :rolleyes:

Bezz
May 29th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Yeah but if yu are gettin boos from more than one person and then someone throws an egg at yu, yu are gonna feel like shit. The french suck!

decemberlove
May 29th, 2004, 03:22 PM
who gives a fuck?

Veritas
May 29th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Why can't some sort of "discipline" rule be enforced? Yeah, it's only "parts" of the RG crowd that act like prehistoric barbarians, but whenever I watch an RG match, even the umpire gives up telling the minority idiots to shut up.

Maybe the RG officials should do what the AO officials did back in '99 during one of Petr Korda's matches - kick out the drunken bastard who kept yelling out "druggie" and "go home druggie" at Korda and fine him. You pay the tickets, but some sort of rules should be enforced to make sure players aren't treated like shit.

morbidangle
May 29th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Well Mary Pierce is a perfect example!
1995 FO. got booed in the 4th round against Iva for taking an injury timeout. Iva started playing with a ball boy. When Mary came back, the crowd was cheering for Iva and booed Mary a few times. Mary lost the match and left the court with the crowd booing her.

1996 Open Gaz de France . Mary got booed for losing in the second round.

1996 FO. The crowd started booing her after she went down a break early in the first set (R3) against Barbara Rittner. Mary lost the first set 6-2, played better in the second, but the crowd booed her again when she made two straight double faults. Mary lost 6-2,6-4.

1997 FO. The crowd booed her in her first round match against Tatiana Panova, for losing the second set. They kept booing her for the most part of the third set, but somehow Mary pulled this one out 6-4 in the third.

1998 FO. R2 against Serna. Dont even wanna talk about this match.

1999. R2 against Conchita. booed her for taking an injury timeout in the second set after taking the first 6-4. Then booed Mary loudly in the final set

2001 Open Gaz de France. Got booed after losing to Anne Kramer.

pigam
May 29th, 2004, 03:31 PM
You gotta admit the french don't really see Mary (Marie ;) ) as 'one of their own'
Not since she only learnt (decent) French a few years ago ...
It's different with Mauresmo, imho.

Stiil! This 'egg throwing story' is it true? :confused:
I'm sorry but I like the French crowd :o I think there's always a lot of 'ambiance'

Fantastic
May 29th, 2004, 03:33 PM
They're French. They're rude. I guess it's not just a stereotype after all. ;)

ali
May 29th, 2004, 03:37 PM
I think Mary is a saint to put up with the French "fans". I remember reading before her first Roland Garros final in 1994, she was so nervous and worked up about having to address the crowd in French during her speech that she couldn't sleep the night before.

Its not her fault she wasn't born in France or didn't speak the language. She's done great to turn things around - and not ever say a bad word against the public.

They respect her now but could you imagine the Wimbledon crowd doing the same thing to Greg? It would never happen.

azza
May 29th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Where did they get the eggs from :scared: :confused: :o

jlamire
May 29th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Yeah but if yu are gettin boos from more than one person and then someone throws an egg at yu, yu are gonna feel like shit. The french suck!
I think someone should be elected in this board to create a thread each day so posters can do some french bashing. If they can feel better after I think it will be good.

pfff.. :fiery:

tennisIlove09
May 29th, 2004, 10:51 PM
I'm not trying to bash the French in creating the thread. But many posters are eager to jump on the gun for crowd booing against the sisters, Hingis among others.

I just wanted to point out, that they do turn on their own :)

minboy
May 29th, 2004, 11:38 PM
An egg was indeed thrown during that match. It landed in Sandrine's part of the court ( she was playing Hingis ) , but it didn't seem as it was directed to her. Just someone who wanted to make a "joke" ( funny...mmh mmh ). That was in 2001

Doc
May 29th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Wasn't Amelie booed in 2001, when she lost to Jana Kandarr.

Jakeev
May 30th, 2004, 07:00 AM
French players have not been immune to the crowd turning on them and usually it's because of there performance in a given match.

Yeah Mary has had the biggest brunt of it, but Testud, egg throwing or not, has been booed and I remember reading articles from retired Frenchwomen Catharine Tanvier and Isabelle Demengoet admitting that they often hated playing before their own country, just because of how harsh they can be.

SpikeyAidanm
May 30th, 2004, 08:05 AM
They egg was thrown at 5-0 in set 1, if my memory is correct.