PDA

View Full Version : Mary lost 3-6 1-6

sebbe
May 29th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Venus hit alot of winners and just a few errors so
it seams as she played a good match and puted Mary under
alot of pressure.
I'm not that happy with all the errors Mary did hit and she didn't
manage to get in to that many first serves either.

But some nice fresh points to her ranking. This was a great week though
and let us hope that she can play even better in Wimbeldon later next month.

morbidangle
May 29th, 2004, 03:06 PM
OK I am not mad at her for losing, but I am a little mad at Mary for making all those unforced errors! whats up with that! the match was far closer than the score suggests! And what about that easy forehand into the open court that she missed at 0-3,40-0 in the second set! MARY! And the first serve percentage was sooo low. Other than that, most games were closely contested, but at the big points, either Mary hit an error or Venus hit a winner. Venus played a good match and Mary would've had difficulty winning, but c'mon... she was playing better than 6-3,6-1! MARYYYYYYYYYYY :sad:

Now I have to wait another 2 weeks for Mary to play a match! :sad:

And she has to defend more than 200 points at Wimbledon! Oh well GOOO MARY! :bounce: I've rooted for you for 10 years now and I am gonna be rooting for you again no matter what!

ashwu
May 29th, 2004, 03:10 PM
well, i watched the match on tv. mary played a baaaaaaaaaaad match :(
she just can't find the rythm! at all! you can't say that she's nervous. she is not. but she's not that focus in the game. and she had some chances, but can't catch them. she definitely needs more matches like this to remind her how to concentrate in the game.
hope she do better in wimbeldon~:bounce:

ashwu
May 29th, 2004, 03:22 PM
her forehand is terrible today

ali
May 29th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Well I "watched" the match via the live scoreboard (damn you eurosport!) and most of the games were very close.

Mary's first serve % was way too low though and she just didn't take her chances on game/break points. She also made far too many unforced errors against a player like Venus, maybe she was going for too much?? :confused:

A bit disappointing, but I do think the scoreline is misleading. After watching Dementieva yesterday and Myskina today, I think it was just a case of a terrible draw.

ashwu
May 29th, 2004, 03:40 PM
i taped it. will see if i could share it. do you guys use BT (BitTorrent)?

MissTennisFan
May 29th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Hi Ali -- I saw the match, and let me tell you, you're absolutely right, the scoreline is misleading, the match was way closer than that, Mary gave Venus a run for her money, and I think that in a way 3 and 1 is an unfair score and definitely doesn't reflect the level of play in today's match.

Allez Mary! :wavey:

sebbe
May 29th, 2004, 04:06 PM
No, the scoreboard is very missleading, she had so many advantages
and gamepoints and it's ashame that Mary couldn't take any of those.
But I don't understand why she didn't play a little easier, I can imagine
that she wanted to finish the points as quick as possible but she of all players should know that, that isn't possible to play like for a whole match.

remyremy
May 29th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Hello!

I saw the whole match today and :sad: :sad: :sad: anything I could say is nothing more than what Mary said in a french interview after the match : She was very disappointed because she played a bad game. She said it wouldn't matter to loose if she'd play good but it was not the case. She was sad and furious for the bad 1st serve and the unforced faults. She knows that against that kind of player she have to do the less errors she can. But finally she said that her game and good shape come back and she can still be one of the best player in the world :cool: even if the girls today are better than 4 or 5 years ago.

What a pity that mary has put so much pressure on herself. Noone were asking her to win but to play her game (the same than in the 2nd round) to enjoy struggle against venus. She took too much risk.
Mary, I love you :kiss: , your backhand and forehands are still there but I have to say that the legs must be back to make wishes for the future. Sorry to say that 5 or 10 pounds less would be great. Love you, courage for Wimbledon. You'll have less pressure cause you already have some points from this 3rd round in RG so.... enjoy and make us dream :kiss:

Wizzy Maryfan
May 29th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Ok so ...
I don't think that the real problem is her legs : ok, that's sure, mary is not very fast, and she can't defend her ground against a hard-hitter player like Venus, but I don't believe the problem is here ...

If Mary has lost such a way, it's because of her mistakes, and her bad serve. She has very bad played. I do think that if she has played like she did thursday, she would have been more dangerous for Venus, and I think that the victory would have been possible ...
But today, it was a bad day. Why ? Probably beacause Mary knew that she had to play a great match, and she were probably thinking that she had to play the lines, to be sure to win the point against Venus ... In fact, the only thing she had to do was "playing her game".

And of course, the score didn't reflect the match : 6/3 6/1, ok, but 1h16, and a 13-minute game !
So, I think (I think a lot of things lol) that Mary is not as far ... She was able to beat venus, i'm sure about it ... but she didn't win ! But it's not the end, for sure, she only has to raealize that she has not to do the perfect match to beat those great players, she has not to touch the lines ...
Once again, she only has to play her game, like usual : first serves, and a big shot, even if her shot is not on the line ... :tape:

Go mary, we love you, today, you were bad, but tomorrow, you'll be good !

I hope that she will play well on grass, like last year, and I think that she is better on grass than she was in the past. So, at Wimbledon, and with a good draw, I think that she can go to quarters, or more, really ! And at S hertogenbosh, she can, why not, play the final lol :hearts:

Scotso
May 29th, 2004, 05:34 PM
They're showing the match on NBC.

I love her, even if she lost. You're great, Mary! She looks so hot today, too!

remyremy
May 29th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Hi wizzi maryfan!

I agree with you about the lines. That's what I mean when I talk about the pressure she put on herself.
I don't say that the 1rst problem of the match is about the legs but in the future it will be a big problem if Mary wants to come back in the top 10. If you watch again the today match, anytime venus (or any powerful player) play big shots, Mary's defense become awful. Few days ago, I watched Mary's final in RG 2000, and her defense was really better. She ran everywhere. Even she's maybe more powerful today, she has to retrieve her abilities to defend. We'll see.

remyremy
May 29th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Sorry, it's wizzy and not wizzi :worship:

ashwu
May 29th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Day 6 - Mary Pierce Interview

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2004-05-29/200405291085852766277.html

Q. Obviously, it wasn't your best day out there. Could you sort of assess how you thought Venus was moving and striking the ball and sort of where her game was.
MARY PIERCE: Well, I mean, I think it's pretty tough to assess that when there's really not much happening too much out there. You know, I mean, there was maybe, I think, maybe one rally that we had in the whole match or...

So, you know, like you said, it was definitely not my day out there. It's a disappointing loss for me because I really am starting to feel, you know, pretty good physically and also my game, I feel like I'm starting to play well again. You know, my first couple matches here - especially my second one - I thought things were starting to come together.

So just real disappointed about today, not just the fact about losing because that happens, but just the fact about not playing a better match and, you know, think I would have definitely enjoyed it a lot more if I would have played a lot better.

So it's really difficult. You know, Venus is one of the best players. I mean, just to play against her, you really have to come with your top game so I really just didn't give myself that chance today out there.

THE MODERATOR: Questions in French, please.

Q. This match started very rapidly for Venus, 4-0, then you go back 3-2, and we have the feeling that maybe it will balance out. Can you tell us how you felt that moment of the match and when she really got started.

MARY PIERCE: I had great difficulties getting into the match, in all the senses - first of all, the game, the tennis, the way I was hitting the ball, my mental frame of mind. I had great difficulties getting into the match.

I wanted this match badly, and I wanted to have a very good match, so it was a lot of pressure for me. I was not relaxed enough, I was not playing freely, I was not moving well on the court either. It's a great pity, because I had the feeling that my game was improving in the tournament.

Once again, it's proof that when I have certain pressure on me. When I'm thinking too hard that I should win, it's the worst tennis that comes out of me. So I have to be careful what I do and avoid that sort of pressure. But it's not easy because you want to win.

Venus played very solid tennis as well, very steady, so it was difficult, very deep shots. It was very difficult.

Q. First game in the second set we have the feeling that it was tight, that you could get back into the match at that point.

MARY PIERCE: Well, ups and downs. I was there at certain times and I wasn't there at other times. I think that I was quite lucky, because I made quite a lot of unforced errors on easy points. Maybe at 4-0, second set, I felt much more relaxed, strangely enough. Then 3-0, 3-2 I felt good again. Then, again, I put too much pressure on myself and it went bad again.

Q. A year ago you decided to go to live in Amsterdam and work with Sven again. Do you think that maybe you have to think about this again and change objectives and think about it and maybe reshuffle everything?

MARY PIERCE: I don't know. It's early. It's too early to think about all this.

Q. In the short run, what do you want to do, are you going to go straight to England?

MARY PIERCE: No, to England, no, straightaway. I might stay a few days in France and visit my family because during the tournament I have no time for that. So these are my plans for the days to come.

morbidangle
May 29th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Well no problem Mary! learn from this and move on.. I hope she plays better at Wimbledon. Somehow I feel that these days Mary has a better chance of beating top players on grass than on clay. She can end the points quicker and she can be a real threat even if she is only serving well. Hopefully this year Mary will get a better draw at Wimbledon with no Justine/Venus/Serena/Lindsay in the third round.
GOOD LUCK MARY! :bounce:

ali
May 29th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Eurosport showed the match from 3-0 in the second set. I wish I hadn't watched it now - I'm more depressed than when I was following it on the live scoreboard. Mary looked so upset with herself, she just couldn't hit the ball in (or over the net). The commentators said that she'd just had one of those days, a bad day at the office. :sad:

And now reading the interview :sad: again! Poor Mary, she sounds really down on herself. I just wonder why she put so much pressure on herself. Sure she wanted to do well, sure she might have thought she had a good chance to win, but she seems to have got herself nervous and worried before she even got out there.

Hopefully she'll regroup in time for Wimbledon. Grass has never been her favourite surface so hopefully she'll be able to relax, have no expectations and just go out and play well.

mamno_MARYFAN
May 29th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Oh...so sad that Mary lost....:sad:

But u know what's really disapointing, guys...more than anything...I just want Mary to just really enjoy herself in such an important, big match...but she felt the pressure then...I think Mary realised that this could be a decisive match in her comeback...she felt the pressure...that was the problem...hell...I'm also really anticipating this match...anybody in her position will feel the pressure...tough conditions...:sad:

I didn't manage to watch the match...but I'm really glad hearing u guys reporting that the match was much closer than the scoreline....if only Mary relaxed a little bit...things might have been better for her...:sad:

But looking at the bright side...she did better than last year..and its all about progressing...so...still very well done Mary...:bounce:

The very fact that Mary is still standing, still not giving up, still playing even after such horrendous years with injuries continues to inspire me....:angel:

Rest well Mary...I'm proud of yaa!!!:hearts:

saby
May 29th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Hi Ali -- I saw the match, and let me tell you, you're absolutely right, the scoreline is misleading, the match was way closer than that, Mary gave Venus a run for her money, and I think that in a way 3 and 1 is an unfair score and definitely doesn't reflect the level of play in today's match.

Allez Mary! :wavey:
You are right Miss tennis fan, the score should be more like 6.4 6.4, it's incredible I can't believe it, I'm so :mad: about the attitude of the crowd.

Why didn't they encourage Mary more than that, they did it but not enough !!! Mary needed them more than ever and we barely heard them

When I see what they can do with other players???
At least Mary doesn't have the same treatment as Serena, the crowd didn't forgive her yet

I'm up set, I watched Mary and aaaaarrgghhhhhhhhhh :fiery: she had better serve than Venus. Even if statistics are not good it's not what it was on court, Venus won the "goods points" GOD IT'S NOT FAIR :fiery:

:shout::crying2: :armed:

ali
May 29th, 2004, 09:31 PM
I'm so :mad: about the attitude of the crowd.

Why didn't they encourage Mary more than that, they did it but not enough !!! Mary needed them more than ever and we barely heard them

When I see what they can do with other players???
At least Mary doesn't have the same treatment as Serena, the crowd didn't forgive her yet

:shout::crying2: :armed:
I only saw the last part of the match and I thought I heard booing, but thankfully it was noise coming from elsewhere in the grounds and not for Mary.

Maybe if the match had been closer they would have cheered more :confused:

MissTennisFan
May 29th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Saby, I thought I heard the crowd encourage Mary quite a bit, I didn't realize she got less support than other players. I didn't particularly appreciate the team covering the event, however. Although I do like Laurent Luyat a lot, he's fun and dynamic, I wish he could have interviewed Mary, maybe she will agree to pay them a visit on the terrace in the next couple of days if she stays in France a little longer. The rest of the team was not supportive enough I thought, what did you think? Oh and what's up with Nelson's new hairstyle???

Somehow I don't picture anyone booing Mary at this point, it would be so ridiculously inappropriate. As many people have pointed out recently, as far as French tennis players are concerned, Mary just happens to have the most impressive record; 2 Grand Slam titles, 2 Grand Slam finals and 2 Fed Cup titles are the kind of achievements that most players can only dream of despite what Jon Wertheim (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/jon_wertheim/05/24/mailbag.0524/index.html) might think.
:bounce: :wavey: Allez Mary -- on est tous avec toi, t'es la meilleure!!! :wavey: :bounce:

Scotso
May 29th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Nice to see her French has continued to improve ;)

ali
May 29th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Nice to see her French has continued to improve ;)
Actually, I have a serious question for all you French speakers out there. What's her French like? Very thick accent? Good? Bad?

MissTennisFan
May 29th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Actually, I have a serious question for all you French speakers out there. What's her French like? Very thick accent? Good? Bad?
I actually really enjoy listening to Mary speak French, her accent is not by any means thick -- it's a rather pleasant accent... she speaks fluently and hardly ever makes mistakes.

What do you think, Saby?

I agree with Dr. Scotso, Mary somehow manages to constantly improve her French.

ali
May 30th, 2004, 12:24 AM
Thanks Miss Tennis Fan :)

I've often wondered what her French is like to natural speakers of the language. I love listening to her in French (she seems very quietly spoken) but can't understand a word :o (well, maybe the odd one ;) )

I remember reading when she first moved to France she was stuck with the other junior players and couldn't understand a word they were saying and didn't have anyone to talk to. Then early in her Fed Cup career she found it really hard to follow what everyone was saying.

Its hard to learn a new language, especially as you get older. Nice to hear that she's still trying to improve :angel:

ashwu
May 30th, 2004, 09:05 AM
i made something might cheer you up a little bit.
http://wu-shuang.51.net/mary/mary_vs_venus_highlight.rar (http://wu-shuang.51.net/mary/mary_vs_venus_highlight.rar)

saby
May 30th, 2004, 10:07 AM
The crowd did encourage her but "not enough" :mad: they can do better, do you remember how they cheered her in 2000. This was encouragements!!! :bounce:

Mary speaks french fluently, she has a lovely american accent, and i will say, she speaks better and better each year.:worship:

There is one thing I'm happy with, it's because Guy Forget said that Mary didn't have to be jalous of the williams sisters, Davenport or Capriati. She is as good as them. :worship:

:angel: :angel: :angel: