PDA

View Full Version : Dont Hate, Congratulate: Williams POPS Pierce 6-3, 6-1

Foot_Fault
May 29th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Good Job, Vee!
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040529/capt.rog15605291512.france_tennis_rog156.jpg
Venus Williams of the U.S. returns the ball to Mary Pierce of France during their third round match of the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris, Saturday May 29, 2004.

Venus went back to her LUCKY Dress for this one!:D

Mase
May 29th, 2004, 03:54 PM
I :eek:'ed at how easily she won this match. Good job Venus, you had a nice run Mary!!!!!

Andrew.
May 29th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Mary had 16 winners and 32 unforced errors. :speakles:

catkey94
May 29th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Can anybody tell me how the crowd responded to Venus? I am sure they were behind Mary, but did they boo her?

Shuji Shuriken
:hearts:...very well played by venus. I love her numbers :hearts:

3 Aces :kiss:
4 Double Faults (acceptable)
27 winners :)
16 errors :)

well done Venus :worship:...she served at 59% but this could have been much better if she didn't have some trouble with her last service game :). Keep going Venus :bounce:.

Berlin_Calling
The crowd probably booed Mary :o

bobcat
May 29th, 2004, 03:57 PM
I suspected it would be pretty one sided. Mary is just too slow.

tennisIlove09
May 29th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Venus had about 30 winners, 16 UFE :eek:

Venus, who has had the toughest draw, has probably looked the best :worship:

silverwhite
May 29th, 2004, 03:58 PM
The crowd probably booed Mary :o

Nah, they didn't. They were cheering loudly for her in the first set by were more subdued in the second.

"Topaz"
May 29th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Congrats, Vee! You're showing some good form!

Enjoy your time in Paris, Mary.

Sharapova's_Boy
May 29th, 2004, 03:59 PM
The crowd Booed Venus early on in the first set, for questioning a ball that was out ;)

She then replied with a couple of errors and handed the game to Mary ;)

katrientje
May 29th, 2004, 04:00 PM
The crowd acted perfectly normal not even the slightest sign of booing, they cheerd venus quite a bit. I guess you could say they cheered for Mary's winnenr a little more, but that was it. They were very respectful towards venus. I presume if thing got really tight it might have changed...

azinna
May 29th, 2004, 04:00 PM
What I liked about this match was Venus' professionalism. She seized every little opportunity given. Played each pressure point very well. She wobbled slightly on the focus front in the 2nd set, but self-corrected almost immediately. It looks like the X factor is coming back. And that's all one can ask for from your fave.

Foot_Fault
May 29th, 2004, 04:01 PM
I :eek:'ed at how easily she won this match. Good job Venus, you had a nice run Mary!!!!!
Trust me, it was not easy, the score is mis-leading...but Venus played ALL the big points Very Well

bandabou
May 29th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Venuss been looking very very good out there at the tournament, heck shes even hitting those Pete Sampras-like smashes again!! Mary had some chances to make it closer, but waaayyyyy too many ufes....

Dont know about toughest draw, but shes looking good and her form is there.

Hulet
May 29th, 2004, 04:02 PM
:yeah: Venus. I was expecting more of a fight from Mary - a three set thriller. Glad it didn't turn out that way b/c this way the crowd wouldn't get involved in the match.

bandabou
May 29th, 2004, 04:02 PM
and the crowd was all right....just some minor booing when Venus complained about a call.

Foot_Fault
May 29th, 2004, 04:03 PM
The crowd acted perfectly normal not even the slightest sign of booing, they cheerd venus quite a bit. I guess you could say they cheered for Mary's winnenr a little more, but that was it. They were very respectful towards venus. I presume if thing got really tight it might have changed...
I agree...!

Cariaoke
May 29th, 2004, 04:04 PM
:hearts:

:worship: :bowdown:

Love ya, Vee!

Knizzle
I said this yesterday:

This is Venus SJW. She can fight off break points against anyone. Mary will be the one who will struggle to hold serve.
Of course I know how Mary plays. That will play into Venus' hands. She likes the pace. Mary doesn't move move well. Mary also has to serve to Venus. I'd put my money on Venus breaking her serve alot more than she will break Venus'.
I thought it would be this simple and it was. Most didn't seem to agree with me. I guess sometimes we forget how the game of tennis goes.

Hulet
and the crowd was all right....just some minor booing when Venus complained about a call.
That's probably Venus didn't let them. In blowouts, crowd doesn't feel like cheering/booing with conviction. Just speculating, though.

Foot_Fault
May 29th, 2004, 04:05 PM
TBH, they boo when anyone other than a Frenchman/woman question a call. Been that way for years and years and years.

OUT!
Congrats to Vee! An impressive victory :yeah:

Andrew.
Venuss been looking very very good out there at the tournament, heck shes even hitting those Pete Sampras-like smashes again!! Mary had some chances to make it closer, but waaayyyyy too many ufes....

Dont know about toughest draw, but shes looking good and her form is there.
Yes Mary played a very sloppy match.

The score is misleading. Mary had about 4 game points to go up 1-0 in the second set in her 13 minute service game.

tennisIlove09
you smart Knizzle :)

Mad-About-Venus
Life is good... life is good.... congrats Vee :bounce: :bounce:

Oh Happyy dayyyyy.... oh happyyy dayyy....:bounce:

It's so nice you read your posts guys, saying nice things about both players. Thank you for all your comments.

Happy Memorial everybody in the US..... happy bugers!!!

xr6turbo
:yippee: GOOOOO VENUS!!!! Great Match :D

Venus Forever
May 29th, 2004, 04:06 PM
The crowd Booed Venus early on in the first set, for questioning a ball that was out ;)

She then replied with a couple of errors and handed the game to Mary ;)
Awww, she's so nice.:D

Greenout
May 29th, 2004, 04:08 PM
DId you watch the match on TV? Mary was bad. There was no "GUGA" like
amazing sparkly deja vu RG queen magic on court. It was all Venus.
I think even Venus was surprised how bad Mary played.

Foot_Fault
May 29th, 2004, 04:08 PM
I said this yesterday:

I thought it would be this simple and it was. Most didn't seem to agree with me. I guess sometimes we forget how the game of tennis goes.
I did. Venus is at her best with pace and rhythm players. Davenport, Peirce, Clijsters, Capriati, Rubin....She love playing these players b/c they throw in the game that Venus love.

Once Vee is in rhythm, the match is pretty much in her hands, her movement and stings on her strokes give her the edge.

Another thing, VENUS WILLIAMS...one of the BEST Big Point players in WOmens Tennis.

The score don't give any indication on how TIGHTLY CONTESTED this match was in almost EVERY GAME.

sbmh
May 29th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Congrats Venus !
Great form:)
Better luck next time,Mary !

Eurotennisfan
May 29th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Wow! Mary really needs to start bringing it against the top 10! Great job V :worship: :worship: :worship:

morbidangle
May 29th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Congrats to Venus! she played a clean match

I have to say, Mary did not look slow today! but she was making wayyyy too many errors, the match was fun to watch, closer than the score suggests, but Venus was better at the big points. And I am still mad at Mary for missing that easy forehand at 0-3,40-0 in the second set! And she didn't get a lot of first serves in. I wouldn't say Mary was bad, she wasnt very good, but not bad! and Venus played a pretty clean match.

GermanBoy
May 29th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Queen Mary... :rolleyes: I watched only some rallies of the match because our German TV station put an end on it`s broadcasting from Paris but Mary seemed to be nervous and she wanted too much. Poor Mary, I feel sorry for you, I can understand how well you wanted to perform in front of your homecrowd... :sad:

pigam
May 29th, 2004, 04:17 PM
I think if Venus plays like this, she will win RG (not wanting to jinx her :o )
Oh, and da forehand, I followed the match on a dutch, a belgian nd a French channel
all 3 commentators complimented Venus on her 'tactical' insight, and her 'claycourtinstincts', plus of course, they said Vensu is abetter athlete than Mary (duh!)

You see, she gets credit for 'outsmarting' her opponent, and rightly so!

Allez V n u s!!

Nemesis
May 29th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Wow Venus almost played spotless :eek: She has got to win this tournament :D

Foot_Fault
May 29th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Congrats to Venus! she played a clean match

I have to say, Mary did not look slow today! but she was making wayyyy too many errors, the match was fun to watch, closer than the score suggests, but Venus was better at the big points. And I am still mad at Mary for missing that easy forehand at 0-3,40-0 in the second set! And she didn't get a lot of first serves in. I wouldn't say Mary was bad, she wasnt very good, but not bad! and Venus played a pretty clean match.
Yeah, it was a Closer match than the score suggest. they had a 13 minute game in the second set.

Knizzle
May 29th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Oh, and da forehand, I followed the match on a dutch, a belgian nd a French channel
all 3 commentators complimented Venus on her 'tactical' insight, and her 'claycourtinstincts', plus of course, they said Vensu is abetter athlete than Mary (duh!)

Allez V n u s!!
I think DaForehand was mostly referring to the American media and people here in the states. Overseas they will sometimes recognize the sisters smart play.

pigam
May 29th, 2004, 04:34 PM
I think DaForehand was mostly referring to the American media and people here in the states. Overseas they will sometimes recognize the sisters smart play.
yeah maybe.
Quite strange, seen that Venus (and serena) are both american?

But seeying this match!! :eek:
I first saw a part of the Capriati-Bovina match and the Venus-Mary
Now, Venus and Elena are both (really) tall girsls, but the different in movement is just :eek:. Venus is fast, stays low (even slides on the clay these days !! :eek: !! ;) ) and Elena ... :unsure: euhm, not really. There is (although her tactics are great) nothing wrong with saying, Venus is a superiour athlete in the first place, but that's just my opinion.

Foot_Fault
May 29th, 2004, 04:35 PM

Allez V n u s!!
I didn't post in that thread, b/c I thought the topic of it all was silly. I sometimes think Some of Us Williams Fans are overly-sensitive. However, these people are paid to give their OPINIONS, it don't make it LAW.

That being said...Venus' #'s today will indicate how well she played, and that you have to play the BALL, not your opponent. I knew that Peirce would strike the ball to the liking of Venus, and when you don't give Vee different looks, it may be a quick day at the office for her.

I am so so so happy, On to SHAKA ZULU!

Foot_Fault
May 29th, 2004, 04:39 PM
yeah maybe.
Quite strange, seen that Venus (and serena) are both american?

If you knew the history of race relationships in America, and how it was less than 45 years ago when all of this was going on, does not dispell the myths over nite.

I am now NUMB to the rudeness, disloyalty and disrepect shown to Venus and Serena by the American Tennis Public. They are more revered overseas.

The US Open, usually ticks me off...thats OUR tournament, yet we're cheering against our own:rolleyes:

It truely doesn't bother them anymore.

Kart
May 29th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Well done Venus :D

pigam
May 29th, 2004, 04:43 PM
If you knew the history of race relationships in America, and how it was less than 45 years ago when all of this was going on, does not dispell the myths over nite.

I am now NUMB to the rudeness, disloyalty and disrepect shown to Venus and Serena by the American Tennis Public. They are more revered overseas.

The US Open, usually ticks me off...thats OUR tournament, yet we're cheering against our own:rolleyes:

It truely doesn't bother them anymore.
well, I'm not that 'ignorant', mind you.
I know the history, of course, I don't live in America.
It's indeed (to me) still very strange, even considering the history. :shrug:

Foot_Fault
May 29th, 2004, 04:49 PM
well, I'm not that 'ignorant', mind you.
I know the history, of course, I don't live in America.
It's indeed (to me) still very strange, even considering the history. :shrug:Wasn't taking a swipe at you nor calling you Ignorant, if it was recieved that way, i apologize. I stated the history to say that it was all, BIGGER than Life, less than a LIFE SPAN away. Some of our Parents we're born right in the height of the racial chaos. It has not, and will not change when it's been going on over 400 years, now laws are in place to protect such (NOTICABLE)behavior.

Tennisfan-Mtl
May 29th, 2004, 04:49 PM
All I can say.....Mary :sad:

Infiniti2001
May 29th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Well done Miss Vee :bounce: :worship: :bounce: :bounce:

Knizzle
May 29th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Meanwhile Venus has won her 18th match in a row. Keep it going Vee.

Foot_Fault
May 29th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Meanwhile Venus has won her 18th match in a row. Keep it going Vee.
That's Worth Celebrating! 18 in a Row...

Continue to ROW ROW ROW your BOAT to the Title Vee!

VivalaSeles
May 29th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Congratulations Venus :)
:sad: Mary :sad:

esqumaux
May 29th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Ma'am! What happened :speakles:

cheesestix
May 29th, 2004, 05:03 PM

WHO disputes that Venus and Serena are "smart" players???????

It's more something that you guys hold on to from a few years ago (when Venus and Serena were mostly about power). Nobody disputes that their games have progressed! Where do you get this from? Who CURRENTLY has said anything like what you are claiming????

Da Forehand's post yesterday made the same statement. Yet, the ONLY thing he could come up with was some FOUR YEAR OLD comment by Chris Evert that is open to interpretation!

Damn people! Let it go!!!!!

Infiniti2001
May 29th, 2004, 05:05 PM

It's more something that you guys hold on to from a few years ago (when Venus and Serena were mostly about power). Nobody disputes that their games have progressed! Where do you get this from?

Da Forehand's post yesterday made the same statement. Yet, the ONLY thing he could come up with was some FOUR YEAR OLD comment by Chris Evert that is open to interpretation!

Take your own advice man. :tape:

Knizzle
May 29th, 2004, 05:06 PM

It's more something that you guys hold on to from a few years ago (when Venus and Serena were mostly about power). Nobody disputes that their games have progressed! Where do you get this from? Who CURRENTLY has said anything like what you are claiming????

We are on to bigger and better things than that discussion. Let it go. Move on!!

7~LV3
May 29th, 2004, 05:22 PM
her winning on the 2nd serve just increases by each match, 18% -> 39% -> 58% :eek:, she raised her level when she wanted to, and the df, atleast they were travelling fast...

Foot_Fault
May 29th, 2004, 05:31 PM

Seems you're the only one Holding On.:confused:

mariok
May 29th, 2004, 05:32 PM
As we assumed it yesterday, Venus had less trouble against Mary than Kostanic. This scoreline is no surprise to me.
Congratulations, Venus, you're hading towards the title!
I hope that Mary can get more consistent in the future and finaly start challenging top players!

Chance
May 29th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Good Job Vee :D

Sportfan
May 29th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Well done Venus :)

cheesestix
May 29th, 2004, 05:47 PM
We are on to bigger and better things than that discussion. Let it go. Move on!!

I didn't bring it up! You (and others) did. :rolleyes:

Foot_Fault
May 29th, 2004, 05:51 PM
I didn't bring it up! You (and others) did. :rolleyes:No, someone was just CONFIRMING that they finally heard a commentator said Venus was smart, tactical. Not re-opening the argument.

But Let's let it die...or re-hash that thread and you can talk about it all you want.

This is a CELEBRATION THREAD

GO VENUS!

cheesestix
May 29th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Seems you're the only one Holding On.:confused:

I didn't bring it up.

You guys keep saying that nobody respects their "thinking", yet you can't show any reason why, other than comments from 4 years ago.

Why do you guys even bring it up then?

Foot_Fault
May 29th, 2004, 05:56 PM
I didn't bring it up.

You guys keep saying that nobody respects their "thinking", yet you can't show any reason why, other than comments from 4 years ago.

Why do you guys even bring it up then?
OK, you win you WIN! You're the ALL and Powerful Oz!:rolleyes:

Now can you let it go?:rolleyes:

SHEESH!!!!!!

cheesestix
May 29th, 2004, 06:05 PM
OK, you win you WIN! You're the ALL and Powerful Oz!:rolleyes:

Now can you let it go?:rolleyes:

SHEESH!!!!!!

Hey dummy, maybe that post was being typed up while you were posting your "Let's move on" ( :rolleyes: ) thread????? Too ignorant to look at the timestamp?

DelMonte
May 29th, 2004, 06:05 PM
HURRAY VENUS! CONTINUE TO KEEP YOUR FOCUS IN THE NEXT ROUND!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Allez-H
May 29th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Congrats Venus :yeah:

Chance
May 29th, 2004, 06:13 PM
pic of venus and mary at the net

Foot_Fault
May 29th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Hey dummy, maybe that post was being typed up while you were posting your "Let's move on" ( :rolleyes: ) thread????? Too ignorant to look at the timestamp?Thus the Personal Insults....I got Armour, I can take it.

Close the Door Behind you:wavey:

ico4498
May 29th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Venus!

vettipooh
May 29th, 2004, 06:34 PM

It truely doesn't bother them anymore. So true.Keep in mind,though,that the USopen crowd is predominantly white,who still cannot accept the fact that you don't need a "membership" to play tennis.They would rather cheer for a foreigner,than Vee or Rena,in a subtle attempt to "keep them in their place"....if you know what I mean.The sisters respond with dignity,and let their rackets do the talking.Can't hold them down.They are household names,whether anyone likes it or not.Screw the US crowd....they can..................................

Foot_Fault
May 29th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Marat Safin is giving me a Heart Attack right now!:(

Go Venus!

V-MAC
May 29th, 2004, 06:45 PM
:) well done Vee, keep it coming!! I hope Eurosport eventually televises one of your matches soon :mad:

Tompier
May 29th, 2004, 06:54 PM
I am so sad :sad:
http://www.mary-pierce.org/RG_2004/sge.urc70.290504150613.photo00.default-384x279.jpg

WorldWar24
May 29th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Ouch!

Pierce :sobbing: don't push the self-destruct button!

Venus :eek: can anyone stop her?

Jakeev
May 29th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Yup typical French crowd.

gentenaire
May 29th, 2004, 07:11 PM
I saw the match, Venus looked very impressive, the commentator couldn't praise her enough. Mary was playing like a chicken without a head, sorry if I've offended anyone. The commentator remarked that Mary doesn't know her own force, and he's right. Mary hits a lot of her balls too hard so they land way behind the baseline. Mary tried to put Venus off her game by moonballing, but it didn't work. Venus clearly knows how to deal with those kind of balls. And at certain points, Venus was so very aggressive, that point would be hers and no one elses. Very impressive. Venus could definitely win this FO if she keeps playing like that.

Chance
May 29th, 2004, 07:26 PM
thanks for the interview, Bajangurl :)

But you've been in Linz.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yes. But it's not the same as going to the Alps. This is Heidi style. I'm ready.
LOL

I don't want her to play FC, but it will give Vee a chance to gain revenge ;)

Rocketta
May 29th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Yes, Venus is playing with much confidence and I likes...:yeah:

bandabou
May 29th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Nice interview....hahaha, really loves her babysister!! So cute....and yeah, right now..from the people Ive seen play Venus is playing the best by far at the tournament....

SJW
May 29th, 2004, 07:54 PM
great going V you've eliminated talented opposition in style so far, best of luck in the 4th :kiss:

"Sluggy"
May 29th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Sensitive choice of title of thread...howd you like it if williams got popped?

Sportfan
May 29th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Was Venus upset about something she completely ignored the people waiting for her autograph at the sideline and just went straight and signed the camera before she left without a glance back does she usually do this?? Besides that she didn't look as happy as she usually does when she wins was she still upset over the booing for checking the mark?

catkey94
May 29th, 2004, 08:09 PM
She probably had to keep going inside for her interview, so she didn't have time to sign all of those autographs.

Foot_Fault
May 29th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Sensitive choice of title of thread...howd you like it if williams got popped?
Sorry if you're offended. It was just a word play on The P's
Pop/Pierce.

On the French Open website they wrote.
VENUS CRUSHES Pierce...that's worst than being popped.
I don't want to be crushed.

So write to them as well papi.

Venus crushes PierceBy Matt Cronin
Saturday, May 29, 2004

Venus Williams regained the form that saw her win two titles in April and blew out former champion Mary Pierce 6-3 6-1 to gain a fourth round match up against Columbia’s Fabiola Zuluaga.

"I felt I had some really good form out there and that was good," said Venus, who has now won 18 straight matches on clay. "I understand this surface. It’s a matter of putting it together at this tournament."

In by her far her best performance of the week, Venus employed an airtight attack, overpowering Pierce in chest-to-chest rallies and winning the majority of their long rallies, too. The 2002 runner-up served extremely well and didn’t allow Pierce to get a toehold in her service games with her ambitious returns.

Pierce was disgusted with her play, saying that she thought she was peaking coming into the match.

"It was not my day out there," Pierce said. "I wanted this match badly, so it was a lot of pressure for me. It’s disappointing because I’m really starting to feel good physically and with my game.

“Venus is one of the best players and you have to come in with your top game. I didn’t really give myself a chance. When I’m thinking too hard that I should win, the worst tennis comes out of me."

Venus was ebullient after the victory, because it was the first time she felt she could run full bore since twisting her ankle in Berlin three weeks ago. At the begging it was tough for me because my footwork was just awful and I couldn’t move my feet, even if I wanted to" she said. "It’s a nice feeling to now know I can do what I want."

Sportfan
May 29th, 2004, 08:31 PM
She probably had to keep going inside for her interview, so she didn't have time to sign all of those autographs.

Thanks that explains everything it is just with the way she played I expected a wider smile from her she deserves to feel very good about her performance.

Venus Forever
May 29th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Was Venus upset about something she completely ignored the people waiting for her autograph at the sideline and just went straight and signed the camera before she left without a glance back does she usually do this?? Besides that she didn't look as happy as she usually does when she wins was she still upset over the booing for checking the mark?
Actually, I think she signed some more near the tunnel, because it looked like she was walking towards the people on the side who lean over.

I don't understand why she is "obligated" to sign autographs. She has probably signed millions of autographs by now. If she doesn't want to sign, she doesn't want to sign.

cheo23
May 29th, 2004, 10:04 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!! U Guys probably didn't really Pay attention..she Just signed 1 AutogRaph..and then the Camera...she probably was Late for Her DINNEr with My girl SERENa,her other sister and MOMMA..Get iT together People!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheo23
May 29th, 2004, 10:07 PM
by the way..My girl Mary Pierce played a horrible Match..she totally let Me down..I really thought she had a good chance but way too many unforced errors..especially the forehand side. and not movin Well..Whats Her Damn ProbleM??????????/ She still looked very slow out there..she's gotta REUNITE with HEr Brother! I wonder why she's not with him anymore?????????????????????????????/ if anybody Knows any Information Let Me KNoW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1jackson2001
May 29th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Very good Miss Vee. :D

VeEewilliams
May 29th, 2004, 11:39 PM
The french crowd booed venus when she questioned a line call

Foot_Fault
May 30th, 2004, 02:12 AM
The French crowd boo ANYONE, except French Players, that questions a call.

Berlin_Calling
May 30th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Damn, this match was so dissapointing for Mary :(. If she had kept up her play from the last round, this would have been a very close match, instead she let her nerves take advantage of her. One thing that I was glad to see is that even though Venus was playing the best she played in a few matches, and Mary was playing pretty horribly, the match was closer than the score indicated. Few times, Mary got Venus out of position but missed the easy one (0-3 40-o for Mary comes quickly to mind). I was still happy to see that Mary could still hit with Venus in a lot of rallies, even though she ended up losing the points. Mary's mobility was better than last year and 2002 also. She managed to return a lot of Venus' forehand smashes, but on some points, she kind of got lazy.

Venus Forever
May 30th, 2004, 02:26 AM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!! U Guys probably didn't really Pay attention..she Just signed 1 AutogRaph..and then the Camera...she probably was Late for Her DINNEr with My girl SERENa,her other sister and MOMMA..Get iT together People!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not quite.

The camera NEVER showed Venus go into the tunnel, God only knows what she did after she was out of the camera's view.

Jericho
May 30th, 2004, 02:41 AM
Not quite.

The camera NEVER showed Venus go into the tunnel, God only knows what she did after she was out of the camera's view.
she did sign one for a lady in a pink top and sunglasses, then she signed the camera lens

darrinbaker00
May 30th, 2004, 04:12 AM

Must stir up trouble.....must deflect from the topic of this thread.....must satisfy my massive ego..... :tape:

Venus played well, but Mary Pierce wouldn't have beaten Jelena Dokic today. I don't know if she was going for too much on her shots or what, but she was all over the place. Given her fickle realtionship with French fans, I'm surprised they didn't turn on her. ;)

harloo
May 30th, 2004, 06:04 AM
Hi all, congrats Venus but let's not fool ourselves into thinking that Mary is the player she used to be. IMO, Mary's level of play has went down many levels since she had numerous injuries and she was surely bound to get beaten sooner or later. JMO.

tennisIlove09
May 30th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Hi all, congrats Venus but let's not fool ourselves into thinking that Mary is the player she used to be. IMO, Mary's level of play has went down many levels since she had numerous injuries and she was surely bound to get beaten sooner or later. JMO.
Very true...but Venus' draw has still be tougher than any one else's.

Tanasugarn--although slumping, she should be top 30 (when playing well, she is)
Kostanic--a up start, clay courter (semis of a Tier 1 this year)
Pierce--former champ, and if she's hitting well, she can beat ANY ONE
Zuluaga--Aussie semi finalist, a great clay courter

No one else has had that tough of a draw--and all the other top players (except Lindsay) has struggled.

cheesestix
May 30th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Must stir up trouble.....must deflect from the topic of this thread.....must satisfy my massive ego..... :tape:

Must act ignorant......must ignore all other posts in thread except for cheesestix.......must single out much smarter cheesestix :tape:

Hey, why don't you look at the post that I was responding to?

I didn't start all of the talk about "the media" and Williams never being given credit for being "thinking" players IN THIS THREAD! I just responded to it. So if you want to talk about who FIRST got this thread OFF-TOPIC, look at the source. :rolleyes:

You're funny when you're jealous!

catkey94
May 30th, 2004, 01:52 PM
I watched the match yesterday, and they booed Mary Pierce when she questioned a call too. So they just don't like people to question calls over there I guess.