PDA

View Full Version : Did Capriati Peak Too Early?

tennisIlove09
May 29th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Are here opponents just playing well?

6-2 4-6 6-4
7-5 6-3
6-2 3-6 6-4

Doesn't exactly look like the "normal" first three rounds of a major for Jen. I'm happy she's getting through...but maybe she peaked in Rome?

SerenaSlam
May 29th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Are here opponents just playing well?

6-2 4-6 6-4
7-5 6-3
6-2 3-6 6-4

Doesn't exactly look like the "normal" first three rounds of a major for Jen. I'm happy she's getting through...but maybe she peaked in Rome?
she did peak in rome, she needs to look back at it and remeber b/c she hasnt come close to playing like she did in rome. and when you think about Serena she only played 1 bad match. Serena hasnt played like she did in Rome. So good news for Serena and bad for Jennifer. Jennifer needs to take a look at Rome match, not just of Serena, but of all her matches so she can see how she came to getting within 1 point of victory.

GoDominique
May 29th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Nah. I think that's just how good she is right now.
This year, she has had one decent (Berlin) and one very good (Rome) tournament. Maybe that wasn't enough, and she still doesn't feel 100% comfortable on the court.
And her shape is still not as it should be.

Greenout
May 29th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Saw the entire match. Jenn has been playing it cool, and seemed to
have tried not to let the audience get involved. She was a tad too
laid back in set number 2 and let Bovina back in, mind you Elena
started to reduce her unforced errors. Set 3 was Jenn taking control
and pushing her level back up w/out much emotion. Heinz had her
do a Steffi type persona today. Real icy and just machine like today.

Hardly disputed any line calls, and usually erased them herself
with her foot. :lol:

HectorMagnus
May 29th, 2004, 02:24 PM
I don't think so. Still think that her best yet to come but she finds herself in a big pressure, suddenly one of favourites after her hot performance in Rome....
First round and Yulia-nobody from nowhere teached her like a schoolgirl, must be a bit shocked.
But she's winning, mostly by experience and fighting spirit so it's a big +, Jenn knows she can rely on herself even if she's not playing the best, still knows what she can, what she's able to do and that's great. ;)

WorldWar24
May 29th, 2004, 03:38 PM
In 2001 she also had tough matches, I think, and won. Every time she has easy first few rounds she loses in the quarters or semis, so maybe this time it's a good sign

Andrew.
May 29th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Bovina is a tough opponent and Jenn has always had problems with her, so no.

Mase
May 29th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Bovina is a tough opponent and Jenn has always had problems with her, so no.
Agreed.

Mase
May 29th, 2004, 03:50 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040529/capt.rog11105291139.france_tennis_french_open_rog1 11.jpg

http://cache.****************/comp/50908300.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=E2399169AC85D6DEECDF476013DF3D41ED32BA69FD85 EC39

I love these pics!!!!!! :hearts::hearts:

jenny161185
May 29th, 2004, 03:51 PM
I cant wait for the next match - I love these battles - whats all this about goos news for Serena? she hasnt played as bad as she did In Rome? I dont understand. She wasn t too impressive against Maria . I really hope we get to see therre QF

jenny161185
May 29th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Wow mase great pic - I know its just a strange angle - but she looks very slim :) thanks :)

Greenout
May 29th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Just read the article of the Capster struggling against Bovina from
the RG official site? :lol:

I watched this match live. Ahem...Bovina was always going to lose this
match. You could just sense it even when she won the 2nd set. She
did make some great shots; but Bovina lost her nerve so many times.
The Capster never looked bothered, worried nor uptight.

Very misleading article to say the least.

Mase
May 29th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Wow mase great pic - I know its just a strange angle - but she looks very slim :) thanks :)
She does. She has slimmed down a lot though... She's not in OZ 2001 shape by any means but you can tell she has been working on it, and you can tell in her movement! Good for her!!! :bounce::bounce::wavey:

tennnisfannn
May 29th, 2004, 04:02 PM
This is vintage Jen. She used to be the queen of three setters before she was derailed last year. Looks like she is getting her groove back in the three setters.
Jen and serena are so drawn to each other, they barely pass up an opportunity to meet and while venus and her even when in the same half of the draw seem to just not meet. So Jen vs Serena is almost a sure bet, Jen vs Venus not. Wonder who will make room for who.

Greenout
May 29th, 2004, 04:06 PM
I liked the way she kept a cool persona on court today, never let the
French Peanut Gallery get a word or opinion in the match at all. Did not
dispute or made a big deal out of alot of very, very close line calls.

capriatifan78
May 29th, 2004, 04:11 PM
I don't understand how anybody can look at that pic of Jenn and say she is not in shape??? She is almost completely back in top shape, and since she has the back problems now, she needs to maintain it so she can play for a few more years. Great win for Jenn....yes she went three sets but did you notice that she had more winners than errors....if she does this, she can win the whole thing.

Eurotennisfan
May 29th, 2004, 04:12 PM
I did not see it; but often in the French Open it is those who struggle that go on to do well; just look at Justine last year (vs.Serena and lost a set to patty) and another example is Iva Majoli who lost a set in every round she played in 1997.

Kart
May 29th, 2004, 04:34 PM
JenCap has been struggling with her form all year.

One good showing in Rome isn't enough to magically change that.

The main thing is that she's still in the tournament, despite dropping a couple of sets.

Also, Bovina is pretty tough opposition.

Eurotennisfan
May 29th, 2004, 04:42 PM
the thing with Capriati is that she plays a ball that makes others play well against her...it is a very clean ball.

Jennifer's wife
May 29th, 2004, 04:43 PM
jen's doin ok. she's winning matches and as she gets to the latter stages her game will improve. when she plays the top playes like Amelie and serena u often see a completely different player out there. Jen can rise to the occasion when it comes to it. i would also say that serena is still a little rusty as well at the mo so if they both get to the quaters and play each other i think it could go either way. naturally im hoping Jennys!! :D

JennyS
May 30th, 2004, 01:29 AM
I think it's interesting that some people think Jen peaked in Rome, when the exact opposite is happening here. Instead of peaking in the early rounds, she's doing enough to get through. She's a veteran and she knows how to turn it on in the later rounds, which is why I expect her to up her intensity level in the next match.

This sort of reminds me of skating, when they say you can't win the medal in the short program but you can lose it there. Michelle Kwan always seems to save her best performance for the long program, while countless other skaters give the performance of a lifetime in the short program and skate poorly in the long program.

Havok
May 30th, 2004, 01:31 AM
She's not playing well at all. She's not as aggressive as she normaly is, and she's missing way too much. If one of her oponents can keep their unforced errors even to their winners, or a little less, then can blast Capriati off the court.

*abby*
May 30th, 2004, 02:34 PM
NO-ONE can blast jen off the court her ground strokes and base line shots are crazy fast and she plays them at the right time.if someone tries to "blast her off the court" she can still make it to their shots and return them twice as hard!!!

Zhao
May 30th, 2004, 02:40 PM
why dun u guys give credit to Bovina??
She has given Jenn a good fight....
n Jenn is also happy to have to kinda matches tt will shape her up for the
quarter-final matchup against Serena...

Greenout
May 30th, 2004, 03:10 PM
This is more like people "WANT" the Capster to peak early because they
are afraid, very afraid. I'm a neutral here, and this is what it looks to me.
Watched the Bovina match, and it wasn't a struggle. Bovina is so
up and down you could just feel that she can't string enough good moments
to have taken a 3rd set out.

Good luck- hope you take out "you know who!"

Allez!

CooCooCachoo
May 30th, 2004, 03:26 PM
In my opinion, she has been playing very poorly last week.. I have seen parts of all her three matches and she never convinced me. She is by no means a title contender, if she doesn't improve her game.

bello
May 30th, 2004, 03:28 PM
She did have a great tourney in Rome but that doesnt mean anything, the fact that she hasnt played her best tennis yet at RG just shows that she hasnt peaked too early at this tourney, hopefully she has kept it for the latter rounds, so NO she hasnt peaked early at this tourney cos she hasnt peaked!