PDA

View Full Version : Marlene's Memory of Serena

RobM88
May 29th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Here's a little news article with a rather amusing recollection Marlene Weingartner had when she played (and yes, beat) Serena Williams at age 12. I don't believe they have played since!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/sfl-bricker29may29,0,15326.column?coll=sfla-sports-col

By the way, keep going Marlene - you are playing out of your mind!! :bounce:

DelMonte
May 29th, 2004, 08:46 AM
OMG, that is bloody hilarious!! What a brat Serena was!!! :haha: :haha: :haha:

7~ŒLêV3ñ½
May 29th, 2004, 08:52 AM
twas a cutie...

ashwu
May 29th, 2004, 09:02 AM
hehe, i could imagine that

hingis-seles
May 29th, 2004, 09:11 AM
:lol:

bandabou
May 29th, 2004, 10:35 AM
:lol: Aaha..Serena!! So cute...

WorldWar24
May 29th, 2004, 12:04 PM
I like Serena and I respect her a lot, but how can I become a fan of someone who tries to intimidate opponents. She is still the same :o I hate this kind of attitude

Knizzle
May 29th, 2004, 12:14 PM
I like Serena and I respect her a lot, but how can I become a fan of someone who tries to intimidate opponents. She is still the same :o I hate this kind of attitude
:lol: :lol: :lol: @ Serena

Dude, she was like, 12, cut her a break.

Shuji Shuriken
May 29th, 2004, 12:21 PM
well cry me a fucking river wouldn't ya :sobbing: :rolleyes:

:lol:@ Serena using her little gansta techniques :p

azza
May 29th, 2004, 12:23 PM
More reasons to hate Serena :D :bounce: :bounce:

jenny161185
May 29th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Lol great article!

Paneru
May 29th, 2004, 12:31 PM

She was a baby! :lol:
Get over it! ;) :p

treufreund
May 29th, 2004, 03:52 PM
she still is a baby in her actions!!!!!

Infiniti2001
May 29th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Reason why you have to be careful predicting future champions :lol:

tennnisfannn
May 29th, 2004, 04:18 PM
I like Serena and I respect her a lot, but how can I become a fan of someone who tries to intimidate opponents. She is still the same :o I hate this kind of attitudeHoney that is the attitude that has earned Serena six slams. If she proabably thought 'oh well, I lost' she would probably have had the same kind of career Marlene has had whidh is average. there are tonnes of talented players on the tour but it is those with attitude and drive that take home the silverware.

Kabezya
May 29th, 2004, 04:22 PM

Only if that was ones inclination to do so in the first place.

Bezz
May 29th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Thats was funny, i can jsut imagien a little stocky serena with beads in her hair trying to intimadate Marlene, then goin to play tag with venus ;)

Eurotennisfan
May 29th, 2004, 04:37 PM
I think Gagliardi played Serena at 12 and beat her too. what did Serena do between 12 and 17? :lol:

esquímaux
May 29th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Oh my! :spit: :lol:

WorldWar24
May 29th, 2004, 06:13 PM
I think Gagliardi played Serena at 12 and beat her too. what did Serena do between 12 and 17? :lol:

she grew up :angel:

LindsayRocks89
May 29th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Serena :lol:

servenrichie
May 29th, 2004, 06:42 PM
she still is a baby in her actions!!!!!..and you will always remain obnoxious!!!

frenchvee
May 29th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Once a bitch, always a bitch. :tape:
cool were you talking about jennifer?

Eurotennisfan
May 29th, 2004, 06:59 PM
No, but it could also apply to her.

Go bitches go :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
:lol: :lol: what a comeback

SerialKiller#69
May 29th, 2004, 07:13 PM
lol

i guess that story told by justine's coach isn't too far fetched anymore.:tape:

MarkyMark
May 29th, 2004, 07:32 PM
lol

i guess that story told by justine's coach isn't too far fetched anymore.:tape:

what did justine's coach say??? Serena was a brat back then and she acted like one up until about 2001 when she used to lose and claim injury after injury during matches that would not go her way.

charmedRic
May 29th, 2004, 07:34 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: @ Serena

Dude, she was like, 12, cut her a break.
yeah, seriously. :cool:

Rocketta
May 29th, 2004, 07:49 PM
If Marlene is 24 does that mean she was 14 when Serena was 12? So this happened ten years ago and who's the one who hasn't grown up? Oh yeah that right the player who doesn't go around talking about other players and the things they did when they were teens. :lol:

and for all of y'all trying to claim what someone did as a 12 year is any indication of what they are like as adult I think you should take some of your own advice and grow up. If it's true people don't mature I feel for ya cause y'all are an imature bunch of babies if I ever seen one.

I actually feel it's sad that Marlene would have a good tournament run and then spend time giving an interview about another player when they were teenagers/pre-teens? That's sad. Seems to me she maybe should've thought better of speaking of other players and kept her interview about herself and her current good form because the media is only going to report on the sensational stuff and now 3/4 of her article is about Serena and not her. :shrug:

Rocketta
May 29th, 2004, 07:52 PM
what did justine's coach say??? Serena was a brat back then and she acted like one up until about 2001 when she used to lose and claim injury after injury during matches that would not go her way.
When everyone was getting on Justine for the hand incident and her coach thought he was doing her a favor by defending her he gave an interview with the New York Times. He said Justine would've given any other player two serves she didn't cause it was Serena. She didn't because back in 2000 he said Venus and Serena bumped Justine with their tennis bag and laughed at her.

SJW
May 29th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Serena you were suck a frickin brat! :lol:

Rocketta
May 29th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Serena you were suck a frickin brat! :lol:
:baby:

;)

SJW
May 29th, 2004, 07:56 PM
:baby:

;)
such*

you can tell what i've got in my mind :o

;)

WorldWar24
May 29th, 2004, 07:58 PM
When everyone was getting on Justine for the hand incident and her coach thought he was doing her a favor by defending her he gave an interview with the New York Times. He said Justine would've given any other player two serves she didn't cause it was Serena. She didn't because back in 2000 he said Venus and Serena bumped Justine with their tennis bag and laughed at her.

According to Rodriguez, it was during US open 2000, at a time when Justine was going to face Serena in the tournament, for the first time in her career. In the locker room, Serena put her tennis bag on the floor at a strategic point, so Henin would trip on it and fall. Henin did fall, and Serena and Venus had a good laugh :o

treufreund
May 29th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Serena's actions are in no way excusable or defensible. her fans are on the attack mode because they know deep down that she is a classless biatch!

SJW
May 29th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Serena's actions are in no way excusable or defensible. her fans are on the attack mode because they know deep down that she is a classless biatch!
that post? well people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones :)

Rocketta
May 29th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Serena's actions are in no way excusable or defensible. her fans are on the attack mode because they know deep down that she is a classless biatch!Who's defending her actions? She was twelve. Who gives a rat's ass what a 12 year old said that wasn't against the law ten years later except a bunch of people who are acting like 12 year olds and won't grow up?

lolas
May 29th, 2004, 08:29 PM
I actually feel it's sad that Marlene would have a good tournament run and then spend time giving an interview about another player when they were teenagers/pre-teens? That's sad. Seems to me she maybe should've thought better of speaking of other players and kept her interview about herself and her current good form because the media is only going to report on the sensational stuff and now 3/4 of her article is about Serena and not her. :shrug:
She didn't say it at RG 04. I already knew this story. A friend told me that Marlene was guest at a German talkshow and she was asked about the Williams sisters. But I really can't guarantee if this is really true. She already gave some nice interviews yesterday. She's got a new trainer(also her new boyfriend) and she feels that she's on her way back. There's a nice video on eurosport.de where she talks a little bit about her current form. Although it's in german you won't regrett watching it.

Rocketta
May 29th, 2004, 08:41 PM
She didn't say it at RG 04. I already knew this story. A friend told me that Marlene was guest at a German talkshow and she was asked about the Williams sisters. But I really can't guarantee if this is really true. She already gave some nice interviews yesterday. She's got a new trainer(also her new boyfriend) and she feels that she's on her way back. There's a nice video on eurosport.de where she talks a little bit about her current form. Although it's in german you won't regrett watching it.
Oh I don't doubt that she has exposure in Germany.. It makes it seem like this was said at RG but that could be pieced together but I don't think it was said years ago. Also, I hope she was misquoted when they quote her as saying, "I just destroyed her game, yeah," in regards to Petrova. Not that she didn't but it's not very diplomatic.

GoDominique
May 29th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Oh I don't doubt that she has exposure in Germany.. It makes it seem like this was said at RG but that could be pieced together but I don't think it was said years ago. Also, I hope she was misquoted when they quote her as saying, "I just destroyed her game, yeah," in regards to Petrova. Not that she didn't but it's not very diplomatic.
She DID destroy her game, so quit whining.

Rocketta
May 29th, 2004, 08:49 PM
She DID destroy her game, so quit whining.
Maybe your glasses were foggy when you read my post so here it is again for you.

hingis-seles
May 29th, 2004, 09:11 PM
God! She was fucking twelve when she did that. Next, some of you will be all over her for cheating when she played Monopoly with her sisters as a child. News of Venus allowing her to steal from the bank would probably cause a riot of epic proportions. :rolleyes:

Personally, I thought it was cute. :lol:

GoDominique
May 29th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Maybe your glasses were foggy when you read my post so here it is again for you.
I know what you wrote. Still - what is your problem? Why can't she say that? BTW, it's more than unlikely that she said it that way. And isn't this Bricker guy an idiot who writes nonsense most of the time?

And why can't Marlene tell about their "match" ten years ago? What's the big deal?
You, of course, smell jealousy and bitterness.

cheo23
May 29th, 2004, 09:23 PM
SERENA!!!!!!!!!! LOL...THAT WAS so 10yrs ago...Like Pre-Teen..Look at SEsil at Indian Wells when she told the Media she was goin to Quote "Kick Maria Sharapova's Butt or something like that- Preteenagers always think they are goin to win. Get it Together People!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Knizzle
May 29th, 2004, 09:29 PM
According to Rodriguez, it was during US open 2000, at a time when Justine was going to face Serena in the tournament, for the first time in her career. In the locker room, Serena put her tennis bag on the floor at a strategic point, so Henin would trip on it and fall. Henin did fall, and Serena and Venus had a good laugh :o
It was 2001 and he said that they bumped her with a tennis bad and didn't apologize, but rather laughed. Unless he said this in a different interview and couldn't remember his own previous lies and told the made up story differently.

DelMonte
May 29th, 2004, 09:29 PM
And why can't Marlene tell about their "match" ten years ago? What's the big deal?

I am with GoDominique on this one. I found the whole story amusing and I don't think there is anything wrong with Marlene sharing it. It seems she was asked a specific question and she seems to have told it in good humour-- I don't detect any malice in her comments at all. I for one wouldn't mind hearing more funny anectodes about players when they were juniors-- I think it's quite cute--I don't think it says anything about the individuals they are today; it's just an amusing little anectode, that's all!!

Rocketta
May 29th, 2004, 10:47 PM
I know what you wrote. Still - what is your problem? Why can't she say that? BTW, it's more than unlikely that she said it that way. And isn't this Bricker guy an idiot who writes nonsense most of the time?

Please point in my post where I called Marlene Jealous or bitter? I said it was sad that she wasted an opportunity to talk about her good run at RG by talking about something from ten years ago. Then someone said she didn't think she said it at RG and I said you may be right the author may have pieced it together. You are defensive. I haven't said anything negative about Marlene except her " destroy " comment was not diplomatic. My negative comments were for the immature on this board who then project a ten year old comment to mean something today.

when I wrote this

If Marlene is 24 does that mean she was 14 when Serena was 12? So this happened ten years ago and who's the one who hasn't grown up? Oh yeah that's right the player who doesn't go around talking about other players and the things they did when they were teens. :lol:
That's just saying I find it funny that someone can talk about an incident ten years ago and the person who she talks about gets the label of immature not that I think Marlene is immature. I don't know Marlene. When I asked was she 14..I wanted to point out that she wasn't talking about a situation where she was at a disadvantage not because of what Marlene said but because of what the immature on this board were saying.

Look When I want to put a player down I do and I don't mince words about it. If I wanted to call Marlene immature I would've just said, "I think Marlene is the immature one." I don't. I'm just questioning the illogic of some on this board that's all.

Rocketta
May 29th, 2004, 10:52 PM

oh and I don't know who Bricker is he might be an idiot. He is if his job was to write an article about Marlene and all he did was take quotes from another interview from some other time about another tennis player and pass it off as an article about Marlene.