PDA

View Full Version : After Myskina, Sharapova is THE best Russian

tennisIlove09
May 29th, 2004, 06:54 AM
No doubt, Myskina is the best Russian, but after that, Maria is the best, IMO.

Dementieva--Maria has a MUCH better serve, and I think competitor
Petrova--Maria seems to have better focuse
Kuznetsova--Over hyped, IMO. Her wins over JHH and Vee this year were more what JHH and Vee did (or didn't) do in the match.
Vera--I think today showed that Maria is much more consistent, and has a better serve

esqumaux
May 29th, 2004, 06:56 AM
Masha hits the ball with more fluidity IMO, also Kuzzie isn't hyped ;)

7~LV3
May 29th, 2004, 07:03 AM
how dare you take that win away from Kuznetsova, she even took Myskina, yer best russian 6-4 in the 3rd set. And Sharapova is still young, she might end up like Daniela, or just like the Williams...

VeraNuVirgosFan
May 29th, 2004, 07:07 AM

Kuznetsova--Over hyped, IMO. Her wins over JHH and Vee this year were more what JHH and Vee did (or didn't) do in the match.
I think right now Kuznetsova is a much better player then Sharapova.

And I think Kuznetsova will become Russian #1 at some point.

As for Masha, she lost to Myskina twice, and to Kuznetsova once. So I think she still has a quite long way to catch up with them.

Chunchun
May 29th, 2004, 07:10 AM

Vera--I think today showed that Maria is much more consistent, and has a better serve

LenaD is the best Russian
not Nastya ot MaSha :mad:

VeraNuVirgosFan
May 29th, 2004, 07:12 AM
...And Sharapova is still young, she might end up like Daniela, or just like the Williams...
I still have a great deal of respect for Dani - after all Sharapova lost a match to her at Tokyo this year.

And I really wish both Dani and Jelena D. would come back strongly on the Tour ASAP.

Knizzle
May 29th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Right now Kuznetsova is better than Sharapova. Kuznetsova is playing like the #1 Russian lately.

7~LV3
May 29th, 2004, 07:19 AM
I still have a great deal of respect for Dani - after all Sharapova lost a match to her at Tokyo this year.

And I really wish both Dani and Jelena D. would come back strongly on the Tour ASAP.

I hope so too, they should jump on Martina's so called train before it leaves them behind.

jan.
May 29th, 2004, 07:35 AM
I think the fight between russias number 1 is, nastya and dementieva.

Jackson.
May 29th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Myskina is by far the best, followed by Kuznetsova

It's not Svetlana's fault Venus and Justine didn't play well... and it's not like Svetlana didn't have a say in it at all. They simply weren't good enough to beat her on those days

I like Maria, but IMO at the moment Svetlana is better

peanuts
May 29th, 2004, 08:48 AM
there's no way that sveta is overhyped...IMHO she's the most underrated russian because she's not as pretty as the other russian girls...

Spunky83
May 29th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Well, though I love to watch Myskinas game, I also think that Kuznetsova will be the best russian very soon. Well we gonna see when they match up in the 4th round again (that if Myskina and Kuznetsova both win their matches, which I am pretty sure of)...

pav
May 29th, 2004, 11:36 AM
I think We are a bit quick to judge which Russian is better than another, sometimes after one match We decide that one is more consistent, as in Mashsa /Vera yesterday, when really they have played twice,with one win each. Nastya/Vera, played once with easy win to Vera, but that dosen't mean much on one match,Sveta going like a train at the moment,but Nastya and elena D. are still highest on the rankings at present, I think We have to wait till the end of the season or even half way through the next to see how they are running

goldenlox
May 29th, 2004, 11:59 AM
In the race to L.A., Sveta is #5, and Maria is #28. They both have been healthy this year.
I don't see any reason for Maria to be mentioned with Sveta at this point of their careers.

Lady
May 29th, 2004, 12:11 PM
There's nothing to discuss, Sveta have been better then Masha all year long!
And even if Sveta's wins over Justine & Venus are not worthy (which I completely not agree with), Masha doesn't have even those!

I like Masha, but Sveta is way better at this point!

*JR*
May 29th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Sveta had the best teen coaching (living @ Sanchez-Casals in Barcelona). Sharky's was ~~~ with ova-hyped Bolletieri, though Lansdorp (guru for last couple of years) is certainly better. Incidentally, he also deserves alot of credit for the Contessa's rise to a high of #4, though her touring coach in '02, the RUS Fed's Sviotoslav Mirza does, too.

But is her serve really much better than Lena D's? Uh, no. Which is why either Sveta or Sharky has a much better chance win Slams (and Tier I's without injury-riddled fields). Isn't It funny how Sharky was "yesterday's news" here so recently, like a future "Queen of the Tier III's"? (Good thing this girl doesn't care how big her bandwagon is).

Meanwhile, the Real Russian Future Forces IMO are Alisa Kleybanova and Viktoriya Kutuzova (yeah I know, technically a UKR player though an ethnic Russian, @ least half anyway). In 5 years, they, along with Nicole and The Mouth (Sesil) should all Be "Big event" contenders every time one Is In a draw, along with Sharky (barring major injury).

Volcana
May 29th, 2004, 12:36 PM
You're entitled to your opinion. But in Posrche points she's not even onthe same planet.

05 KUZNETSOVA, SVETLANA
07 MYSKINA, ANASTASIA
08 ZVONAREVA, VERA
17 PETROVA, NADIA
21 DEMENTIEVA, ELENA
28 SHARAPOVA, MARIA

She's younger, so she has a higher upside. Certainly she's shown the potential to have better results than any of them except Myskina. But better NOW? Against the rest of the tour, I think she's about what the rankings say she is. The sixth best Russian.

Dava
May 29th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Elena is probably still the best Russian out there, when she plays her best tennis. I havent seen that for a while though, she isnt playing at what I know she can, and will probably fall out of the top 10 soon. Myskina and Sharapova are far more consistant.

Maria will be something very special indeed as long as she continues to improve, cos her game is pretty 1 dimensional atm.

Myskina doesnt have the self belief to do well at big events namly slams, she even thinkg she will never win a slam which is a shocking admission.

Also dont forget Bovina and Safina they are still around and Dinara especialy is still young.

Allez-H
May 29th, 2004, 12:43 PM
I don't agree with you on that.Sveta is the better player of the two at this point.She has had some very nice victories this year over Justine and Venus.She also has been very consistant.I've would dare to say that she's having a better year than Myskina but Myskina alread won a tourney so that's the difference.

bandabou
May 29th, 2004, 01:19 PM
:lol: Because Maria beat Vera the Z she suddenly became no.2 Russian?! Girl sure got some game, but where are the BIG results or the BIG wins?! Svetlana has a couple of those and until Maria does that..no discussion here.

tennisIlove09
May 29th, 2004, 01:19 PM
you all make good points about Svetlana. Obviously she's having the better year, but watching them both play...I think Maria is the better player.

And part of the reason Svetlana can have more points on the chase this year is because Maria is still restricted to the # of events she plays :)

bandabou
May 29th, 2004, 01:26 PM
you all make good points about Svetlana. Obviously she's having the better year, but watching them both play...I think Maria is the better player.

And part of the reason Svetlana can have more points on the chase this year is because Maria is still restricted to the # of events she plays :)

Results, results....

fried_beans
May 29th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Well Maria can't play nearly as much as everyone else but when she does play, she never seems to lose in the first round and she is mentally strong for her age so within a year or two she could be top 10. She definitley has the flashiest, biggest came and potential to be the best.

Andrew.
May 29th, 2004, 02:27 PM
I disagree. She is a hype-machine. Just because she defeated Vera doesn't make her a brilliant player. Vera is one of the most unpredictable players on tour, and defeating her doesn't show huge potential if your ranked that close to her. Here is my analysis of the other Russians vs. Maria.

Dementieva--Her serve sucks in comparison to anyone and unless she totally reworks it it will hold back the rest of her game.
Petrova--Another streaky player. When she's on, she can beat almost anyone outside the top 5. When she's off, oh when she's off.....
Kuznetsova--Over hyped, IMO. Her wins over JHH and Vee this year were more what JHH and Vee did (or didn't) do in the match. I totally agree with that one.
Vera--Vera's serve is awful. Her head is worse. Fix those and she will be solid top 10.

bandabou
May 29th, 2004, 02:36 PM
We will see....ALL Russians have plenty to prove before we can tell which ones are the better ones...

charmedRic
May 29th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Sveta had the best teen coaching (living @ Sanchez-Casals in Barcelona). Sharky's was ~~~ with ova-hyped Bolletieri, though Lansdorp (guru for last couple of years) is certainly better. Incidentally, he also deserves alot of credit for the Contessa's rise to a high of #4, though her touring coach in '02, the RUS Fed's Sviotoslav Mirza does, too.

But is her serve really much better than Lena D's? Uh, no. Which is why either Sveta or Sharky has a much better chance win Slams (and Tier I's without injury-riddled fields). Isn't It funny how Sharky was "yesterday's news" here so recently, like a future "Queen of the Tier III's"? (Good thing this girl doesn't care how big her bandwagon is).

Meanwhile, the Real Russian Future Forces IMO are Alisa Kleybanova and Viktoriya Kutuzova (yeah I know, technically a UKR player though an ethnic Russian, @ least half anyway). In 5 years, they, along with Nicole and The Mouth (Sesil) should all Be "Big event" contenders every time one Is In a draw, along with Sharky (barring major injury).
hey so I'm planning my long post on my opinion...and in comes JR (again) and says it just like I thought it.

JR...couldn't have said it better. :wavey:

treiber04
May 29th, 2004, 02:47 PM
how dare you take that win away from Kuznetsova, she even took Myskina, yer best russian 6-4 in the 3rd set. And Sharapova is still young, she might end up like Daniela, or just like the Williams...

I disagree with your last part about her turning into Daniela. The big difference between Maria and all the 'over-hyped' players who had one great result and lef tthe scene in the matter of years, is Maria has the focus and the drive. Yeah Maria is seen in some magazines but Maria has the focus that I've never seen in any player except for Venus. If Maria can continue to have that focus she can easily get into the Top 10. Watch her reach the SF's of RG 2004.

the cat
May 29th, 2004, 02:55 PM
While I think Sharapova ahs a bigger upside than Kuznetsova does, right now Kuznetsova is a better tennis player than Sharapova is. But there are so many good Russina's that there is a great competiton for the top spot of Russina tennis! :D

Vass22
May 29th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Sharapova is NOT the second best Russian. In my oppinion, Kuzzi constructs her points much better than Maria. And until Maria changes it Sveta will have the upper hand ( Sveta also has a greater over-powering ability). Sveta isn't over-hyped, Sharapova is. Her wins over JHH and others mean more than Sharapova's wins over whomever, level-wise.
Sharapova might get seriusly bent by Saurez and even Weingartner, but Kuznetsova (if she beats Myskina) can survive V. Williams.

Vass22
May 29th, 2004, 03:05 PM

I agree about this Sanchez Academy training. It sounds more serius than Bolletieri these days.

bandabou
May 29th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Sharapova is NOT the second best Russian. In my oppinion, Kuzzi constructs her points much better than Maria. And until Maria changes it Sveta will have the upper hand ( Sveta also has a greater over-powering ability). Sveta isn't over-hyped, Sharapova is. Her wins over JHH and others mean more than Sharapova's wins over whomever, level-wise.
Sharapova might get seriusly bent by Saurez and even Weingartner, but Kuznetsova (if she beats Myskina) can survive V. Williams.

The same way she did at Amelia or was it Charleston?! ;)

daniela86
May 29th, 2004, 03:25 PM
I don't agree with you on that.Sveta is the better player of the two at this point.She has had some very nice victories this year over Justine and Venus.She also has been very consistant.I've would dare to say that she's having a better year than Myskina but Myskina alread won a tourney so that's the difference.

I agree!:yeah:

Lady
May 29th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Vass said she can, not will! There's adifference, you know, bandabou!

- L i n a -
May 29th, 2004, 03:34 PM

Maria is more consistent than Vera? :haha:

Kuznetsova is the next Russian hope for #1. The girl has all the tools to get there. She just lacks confidence, and that leads to some ugly play at times.

Sharapova doesn't. She's not athletic enough. She's not quick enough. She is not a Williams. Even if she learns that there is more than 1 way to hit the ball... I still don't think that will be enough.

WtaTour4Ever
May 29th, 2004, 03:35 PM
***This is sorta off topic but I'm just curious where all the Russian Men are in this Russian Tennis invasion, so many talented women, but no men (up and coming)*** Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Greenout
May 29th, 2004, 03:37 PM
I have a problem with the way even TV commentators are hoisting
and hitching on the Maria bandwagon simply because she's cuter
than Vera, Myskina or Sveta. This was so apparent during my tv
coverage of Vera vs Maria. One of the tv commentators, an old Brit
named Gerry WIlliams jumped and started gushing about Maria only
because Annabelle Croft started going on about her being touted as
the "anna". They sort of ignored the fact that Vera beat Venus last
year, and kept on going about how much charisma Maria has, and she
will win the match because she knows she can or something. They
never gave Vera any credit, and said she's just merely competant
and is consistent. This was highly unfair- I think Vera has more shots
than Maria; but as we know she's an emotional yo-yo.

The rah-rah "cute cover girl" angle has made me not like Maria as much
as before. I still think Sveta has the most talent, in terms of variety of
shots. Myskina is great too; but they hardly mention what is to me what
her great strengths are such as good shot selection and chessboard
tennis ala Hingis.

Hope Maria doesn't make the semi's. She is the least deserving of
the Russian top 20.

bandabou
May 29th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Vass said she can, not will! There's adifference, you know, bandabou!

Uhum...because the way Venus is playing now, NO ONE will hang with her..and that includes serena.

Andrew.
May 29th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Uhum...because the way Venus is playing now, NO ONE will hang with her..and that includes serena.
You think no one can beat Venus now?

bandabou
May 29th, 2004, 03:40 PM
I have a problem with the way even TV commentators are hoisting
and hitching on the Maria bandwagon simply because she's cuter
than Vera, Myskina or Sveta. This was so apparent during my tv
coverage of Vera vs Maria. One of the tv commentators, an old Brit
named Gerry WIlliams jumped and started gushing about Maria only
because Annabelle Croft started going on about her being touted as
the "anna". They sort of ignored the fact that Vera beat Venus last
year, and kept on going about how much charisma Maria has, and she
will win the match because she knows she can or something. They
never gave Vera any credit, and said she's just merely competant
and is consistent. This was highly unfair- I think Vera has more shots
than Maria; but as we know she's an emotional yo-yo.

The rah-rah "cute cover girl" angle has made me not like Maria as much
as before. I still think Sveta has the most talent, in terms of variety of
shots. Myskina is great too; but they hardly mention what is to me what
her great strengths are such as good shot selection and chessboard
tennis ala Hingis.

Hope Maria doesn't make the semi's. She is the least deserving of
the Russian top 20.

Noticed that too...with the euro-girls, looks is all that matters to be hyped it seems..

Greenout
May 29th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Oh..Maria isn't up to the level of beating Venus. I seen the HK exhibition,
and Venus playing 65% and goofying off still made Maria look like a
wannabe with tons of EU's. And I'm not even joking. Let me say this
again...the HK exhibition was on TV, and Venus wasn't even playing
as well as she was against Lisa Raymond at AO, she hardly even
moved on court. She sort of walked a bit here and there- yet still
made Maria looks half-baked. Maria was going 200% and she
played an opponent that wasn't even moving- yet lost. There
you go.

Answer:SVETA is better than Maria, no contest.

Allez-H
May 29th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Kuznetsova--Over hyped, IMO. Her wins over JHH and Vee this year were more what JHH and Vee did (or didn't) do in the match. I totally agree with that one.

It's not just that one match against Justine but she had played good against her in Dubai too.And in IW (where Justine was playing great) she showed her talent too,making it Justine very hard.I'm extremely surprised at her consistency,I honeslty thought the Dubai-Doha,were more flukes but she proved me wrong especially in IW.Where I thought she would be exhausted.I certainly don't think she's overhyped.

LindsayRocks89
May 29th, 2004, 06:56 PM
for this year, svetlana has played better, and she has a great game, but Maria overall has the better game. She just has to learn how to construct points better, if she gets the first punch in the rally and gets in control then she wins alot of the points, but she seems to get off balance when she's playing defense, so she just has to add more variety to her game, and that is soemthing svetlana has right now, but overall if you look at serves, groundstrokes, i would say maria's are better, svetlana probably has better volleys, i'm just assuming that because she is like a very good doubles player.

Chance
May 29th, 2004, 07:14 PM
going by this year

1 Myskina
2 Svetlana
3 Nadia/Vera

Seriously how is Svetlana overhyped??

SerialKiller#69
May 29th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Sharapova is a Russian?:shrug:

lakeway11
May 29th, 2004, 07:51 PM
...they will all have more success than Anna :drink:

pav
May 29th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Those commentators at the Mash/Vera match were beyond belief with Their Masha hype alright, and of courseVera had to play along with the plot,quite sad seeing a string of players Vera has dispatched recently still going ,or getting as far, wonder how Her health was that day ,She sure didn't look that happy right from the start ,even before Masha started mincing Her, still I suppose the more Russians doing well, the more We have to debate!

GoldenSlam
Sep 1st, 2004, 08:22 AM
Just a little off performance, does not make her less of a threat for slam winner, go Maria:D.

deminator
Sep 1st, 2004, 10:21 AM
Well The currnet rankings will tell you, you dont get points given to you ,you get em by winning.
Lena D's year has not been a total disaster ,there have been early losses ,some to good players like Molik etc, but she has been in plenty of Semi Finals and a Tier 1 final and A GS final, Sharapova has wimbledon but many early exits as well to players she should be beating, Svetlana has Eastbourne but Early exits elsewhere and Abysmal fed cup, Vera has er well not to sure on that one.
So
Myskina 1
Dementieva 2
Sharapova 3
Kuzi 4
Zvonereva 5

The rankings have it correct at the mo of course this could change at any time and all the russian players have their chances but thats how it stands.

Lemonskin.
Sep 1st, 2004, 11:32 AM
1. Myskina
=2. Dementieva
=2. Sharapova
4. Zvonerava
5. Kusnetzova

*kaz*
Sep 1st, 2004, 02:30 PM
I'm not sure who's better between Svetlana and Maria. I do think they're better than Lena D. Maybe Nadia and Vera could become better in the future.

SerenaSlam
Sep 1st, 2004, 02:58 PM
Personally, i think Dementieva, Kuznet and Vera would've taken out Granville in straight sets, loosing possbily a total of six games. Maria is still young, and found a nice rounded game during wimbledon. Since wimbledon she has lost it, and she is young, it may be some time before she gets it back. I doubt she makes it out of the 3rd round if she even gets that far. It was very close yesturday as I expected. But she found somthing, and Laura lost somthing. So she got a bit lucky she will play on thurdsay. Same thing for Venus, she played a little sloppy, she will need to pick it up as well, but i don't give her chacnes of loosing extremly early like i do Sharapova.

bandabou
Sep 1st, 2004, 03:04 PM
Has a bright future, but dont see her lasting long enough to meet Juju in the QFs...shouldnt have been THIS close against granville.

deckham
Sep 1st, 2004, 03:15 PM
Myskina is obviously the best russian, then i think it's a toss up between kuznetsova, dementieva, and zvonareva. Sharapova is a great grass court player but that's all i know about her and she has a lot to prove. but being the 5th best russian is nothing to be ashamed of... she just doesn't have as many key wins as the other 4.

bandabou
Sep 1st, 2004, 03:22 PM
Good point, deckham.....I think Maria is waaaaaaayy too weak on the other surfaces to really be considered the 2nd best russian.

deckham
Sep 1st, 2004, 03:54 PM
i think now that sharapova squeaked out of that first round match she will be going pretty far, well i think at least...... pierce in the 3rd round is just nasty... she'll have to show she is great in that match.....

SWP
Sep 1st, 2004, 05:29 PM
Good point, deckham.....I think Maria is waaaaaaayy too weak on the other surfaces to really be considered the 2nd best russian.

We are talking about overall, cos Maria is also waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to strong on grass to be compared with any other russian. Anyway at the moment all we have to do is look at the rankings to see who is the best player.

bandabou
Sep 1st, 2004, 05:36 PM
We are talking about overall, cos Maria is also waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to strong on grass to be compared with any other russian. Anyway at the moment all we have to do is look at the rankings to see who is the best player.

grass is ONE surface....whereas on ALL the other three surfaces, the russians are better than her.

shap_half
Sep 1st, 2004, 05:38 PM
How is Maria the second best Russian? She's got Wimbledon. That's it and three (III) Tier III (3) titles. That's really not that impressive. And she doesn't have a very convincing record against other Russians either.

I say Dementieva is second with Vera and Sveta going together for 3rd.

UDiTY
Sep 1st, 2004, 05:39 PM
I bet if Sharapova playedthe other Russians she'd beat Dementieva and Bovina.

Myskina, Kuznetsova, and Zvonareva would beat her:p

shap_half
Sep 1st, 2004, 05:39 PM
Rankings lie. I wouldn't say Masha is better than Venus or Serena.

SWP
Sep 1st, 2004, 05:42 PM
grass is ONE surface....whereas on ALL the other three surfaces, the russians are better than her.

On grass she is best russian by far. On clay, she is 3rd best russian behind myskina and dementieva. On hardcourts we will have to see after the US Open finishes.

shap_half
Sep 1st, 2004, 05:48 PM
On clay she is behind Myskina, Dementieva, Zvonareva, and Petrova.

On hardcourt, she is 5th most definitely behind Myskina, Zvonareva, Dementieva, and Kuznetsova.

SWP
Sep 1st, 2004, 05:51 PM
On clay she is behind Myskina, Dementieva, Zvonareva, and Petrova.

On hardcourt, she is 5th most definitely behind Myskina, Zvonareva, Dementieva, and Kuznetsova.

where did zvonareva and petrova get in the French Open? Did they get to the QF?

We'll comment on hardcourts after the US Open.

bandabou
Sep 1st, 2004, 05:52 PM
On grass she is best russian by far. On clay, she is 3rd best russian behind myskina and dementieva. On hardcourts we will have to see after the US Open finishes.

well have to wait till the open ends to find out, huh?! well if yesterday was any indication, her u.s.open wont last long.

shap_half
Sep 1st, 2004, 05:53 PM
Petrova is a SF (beating Seles and Capriati) and VEra made the QF (beating Venus) and Vera has a clay title.

The USO is not the only hardcourt event being played on hardcourts. Sorry, but Maria is fifth Russian on both clay and hard.

SWP
Sep 1st, 2004, 06:01 PM
Petrova is a SF (beating Seles and Capriati) and VEra made the QF (beating Venus) and Vera has a clay title.

The USO is not the only hardcourt event being played on hardcourts. Sorry, but Maria is fifth Russian on both clay and hard.

Petrova WAS a good clay court player, but now she is NOT. I mean Navratilova WAS an amazing grass court singles player but now she isn't. You have no evidence on what you are bullshitting about.

franny
Sep 1st, 2004, 06:27 PM
How is Maria the second best Russian? She's got Wimbledon. That's it and three (III) Tier III (3) titles. That's really not that impressive. And she doesn't have a very convincing record against other Russians either.

I say Dementieva is second with Vera and Sveta going together for 3rd.
And how many grand slams do Very and Sveta have?

GoldenSlam
Sep 1st, 2004, 06:29 PM
And how many grand slams do Very and Sveta have?
lol......I was thinking about the same thing.
Unless Elena D wins a slam, Maria will always be the better Russian.

fammmmedspin
Sep 1st, 2004, 08:51 PM
Watching Masha and Sveta yesterday I am struck by the fact that Masha looked like a future number 1 for the last few games when she needed to and Sveta looked like a top 5 player for the whole match. I would back Myskina against both of them though.

now if Myskina could steal Masha's serve and Elena D's forehand she would be unplayable.......:) :) :) :)

Edward.
Sep 1st, 2004, 11:13 PM
Myskina is the best Russian right now by far.

I would like to see Sveta and Maria have a matchup soon. The last time they played, at Wimbledon 03, Sveta came out on top. But we all know that alot has happened since then, and a year later, Maria would win Wimbledon, with Sveta exiting in the first round. I would take Masha to win a close match.

Maria should not be judged based on her recent performances. She is only 17, and now under an enormous weight of expectation. She is still in an adjustment period, and should be given time to adapt to her current standing. She also seems emotionally drained, which is understandable, considering how much her life has changed in the space of a few months. She will need time to get herself together and pick up where she left off, at the end of Wimbledon.

shap_half
Sep 2nd, 2004, 12:03 AM
Petrova WAS a good clay court player, but now she is NOT. I mean Navratilova WAS an amazing grass court singles player but now she isn't. You have no evidence on what you are bullshitting about.

You're the one bullshitting. Maria 3rd Russian on clay? Someone's smoking something and it's not just nicotine. Vera defeated Venus on clay and has a title on it. What does Maria have on clay?

Atleast Petrova made the SF of RG. IF she isn't slumping right now, she would have done well again. She also defeated Serena on clay this year.

Again what has Maria done on clay?

Wimbledon is the biggest thing Maria has, but that doesn't make her better than the other Russians. Outside of Wimbledon (and that one tournament) what exactly has Maria done? And who else has she defeated that is worth noting.

And Dementieva has done more than Maria has in just the last two years. Dementieva may not have a GS champion, but she's made the F and SF of two different ones. As well as made notable wins over Top players (Venus, Lindsay, Henin, Clijsters, Mauresmo, and Rubin).

You're the one bullshiting.

DEETHELICK
Sep 2nd, 2004, 12:34 AM
Myskina

I would agree on Dementieva and Sharapova battling it out for No. 2. Give ElenaD a Slam and she's easily No.1 or No. 2 all time Russian IMO.

Udachi Elena :D

GoldenSlam
Sep 2nd, 2004, 08:45 AM
Myskina is the best Russian right now by far.

I would like to see Sveta and Maria have a matchup soon. The last time they played, at Wimbledon 03, Sveta came out on top. But we all know that alot has happened since then, and a year later, Maria would win Wimbledon, with Sveta exiting in the first round. I would take Masha to win a close match.

Maria should not be judged based on her recent performances. She is only 17, and now under an enormous weight of expectation. She is still in an adjustment period, and should be given time to adapt to her current standing. She also seems emotionally drained, which is understandable, considering how much her life has changed in the space of a few months. She will need time to get herself together and pick up where she left off, at the end of Wimbledon.
But if Maria is already far ahead of Sveta in achievement with the Wimbledon crown.
And she is already developing into having a champion attitude, Sveta doesnt have the confidence.
Even though Sveta has the ability to reach top 5, but really, it's hard to consider her as the better of the 2.

SWP
Sep 2nd, 2004, 10:43 AM
You're the one bullshitting. Maria 3rd Russian on clay? Someone's smoking something and it's not just nicotine. Vera defeated Venus on clay and has a title on it. What does Maria have on clay?

Atleast Petrova made the SF of RG. IF she isn't slumping right now, she would have done well again. She also defeated Serena on clay this year.

Again what has Maria done on clay?

Wimbledon is the biggest thing Maria has, but that doesn't make her better than the other Russians. Outside of Wimbledon (and that one tournament) what exactly has Maria done? And who else has she defeated that is worth noting.

And Dementieva has done more than Maria has in just the last two years. Dementieva may not have a GS champion, but she's made the F and SF of two different ones. As well as made notable wins over Top players (Venus, Lindsay, Henin, Clijsters, Mauresmo, and Rubin).

You're the one bullshiting.

Well Maria got to QF on clay this year defeating Vera easily. So wimbledon counts for nothing now? Wimbeldon is the biggest thing Maria has, well wimbledon is the biggest thing any player could possibly win.

LudwigDvorak
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I wish Myskina was still the best Russian. :sad:

1987518LPF
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Imo.DEMENTIEVA IS THE BEST ONE

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I wish Myskina was still the best Russian. :sad:

Same. :sad:

Mashafaaaaan
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:41 PM
What the tell, SHARAPOVA IS THE BEST RUSSIAN.

Slutati
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Imo.DEMENTIEVA IS THE BEST ONE
Right on:rocker2:

Chunchun
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:54 PM
wait.. do Russians have home in Indian Wells? :scared:

Warrior
Apr 19th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Maria won three different slams. Not many players can do that. She is certainly the best Russian.