PDA

View Full Version : What was Smashnova thinking ???

GoDominique
May 29th, 2004, 12:41 AM
I only saw the 2nd set of her match against Elena D., but I have to say that tactically, it was a horrible performance from Anna. :o

First of all, the cramping. Anna's game is nice and everything, and if she can keep it up through three sets, she will probably win.
But she can't. How many times has she lost now because she ran out of gas? I have seen something like this at least once before, last year against Zvonareva indoors. Anna was leading 5-1 in the 3rd but lost, mainly because she almost collapsed as she couldn't even breathe anymore due to exhaustion. :o
So obviously this style of play is NOT successful, and she has to change something to shorten the points and reduce the work she has to do.

Which leads to the 2nd point. Anna must have realised in the 2nd set that she was getting tired. You could even see that she was breathing heavily again. The right moment to change your tactics a bit.
So WHY OH WHY did she still remain BEHIND the baseline when returning Elena's serve, even the 2nd ??? Those serves were slower than ever today, the first had the 'speed' the second usually has, and the second was below 60 km/h at times.
But Elena could afford putting these eggs over net because Anna was doing NOTHING with them. She didn't move forward, she let them drop low and then put the return directly towards Elena who didn't have to move at all to reach them. :rolleyes:
This was really stupid, in two ways:
- Anna wasted the chance to shorten the points. Instead she was guaranteed more long rallies.
- Anna didn't put any pressure on Elena and her serve. It's one of the oldest tricks in tennis: If your opponent is prone to double-faulting, move into the court when he's serving and make him even more nervous. Obviously Anna doesn't know this. :o
Had she done it, I'm sure Elena had taken a few more risks on her serve and double-faulted more often.

I'm sorry that Anna was in so much pain at the end of the match. But she deserved to lose though because she played a silly match.
And she has to reconsider her style when she can't play a whole match this way.

arn
May 29th, 2004, 12:44 AM
or just get a better endurance :)

V.Melb
May 29th, 2004, 12:47 AM
In general. Her style is a winning style. She runs around like a little mouse 2 metres behind the basline untill her opponent makes an error.
Even when Anna has won a match 6-2 6-3. - she has worked like a dog for it! Its understandable that she practiclly colapsed in this match.... her body really takes a beating with that style of tennis... a retreiver always retires before the power hitter because their body simply can't take it anymore! (ie. Coetzer, ASV).
Pistolesi probably should be more aggressuve SOMETIMES.... but remember - despite its downfalls... her game is overalll - a winning formula against most of the tour. Only its tough on her little body to maintain that sort of tenacity. :(

Also remember - its simply not in her nature to attack. it is foreign to her game... akward.
When Venus starts to lose... she keeps belting the ball! - because thats her game!

Eurotennisfan
May 29th, 2004, 12:49 AM
wow! makes you realize how in-shape Amanda is!

WorldWar24
May 29th, 2004, 01:07 AM
She lost lots of matches like this. Against Golovin for example. Golovin was very proud and she said she had worn Anna down. I thought it was weird, coz Anna supposedly is the one doing that to her opponents, physically. But it's true coz Anna is tasting a bit of her own venom, lately :sobbing: Maybe she's not well, physically. She plays lots of tournaments, too :sad:

pav
May 29th, 2004, 01:39 AM
I haven't seen Anna on the box for a while , but She always looked 'muscle-defined' or 'cut' and slim, super-fit would be another way of looking at it, but I always wondered if a bit more body fat helps in these situations, look at Capster's lasting power over Hingis at the Aus. open. Martina N. and Ivan Lendyl(sic) were once under a trainer who's soul purpose was to cut out all their body fat, they both looked bad and played like shit. I could send Her over a couple of good fat greasy sheep,(not pigs) roast them up and that will stick a layer on Her!

Eurotennisfan
May 29th, 2004, 01:40 AM
yup; could be a number of things...truth is that maybe she is doing too much counter-punching....A good counter-puncher also knows when to attack.

jrm
May 29th, 2004, 01:44 AM
What really bothered me was despite horrendous serving by Elena she was still standing way behind the baseline!

WorldWar24
May 29th, 2004, 01:46 AM
yup; could be a number of things...truth is that maybe she is doing too much counter-punching....A good counter-puncher also knows when to attack.

She had 10 winners to Dementieva's 29 or something, so she took her chances. at 4-5 15-40 she hit a crosscourt forehand winner that wrongfooted Dementieva. It was beautiful :dance: But I agree with pav, she needs body fat if she wants to endure longer. Fat is what keeps you alive in the long run, and that's why Hantuchova lost so many long matches last year

tommystar
May 29th, 2004, 03:46 PM
It was very interesting what the Hungarian commentator said about Anna.
She was not clever on her attitud during the gae, at a match like this in curcumstances like this a player has to drink a lot in the changover sould eat bananas, etc... to avoid the cramps, especially with a gamestyle like Smashnovas. But she didn't fo that, she drunk only little...

She should think about these things...

But she's playing mixed at the moment, so hopefully she's better.

bandabou
May 29th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Hmmmm.....yeah, I think the girl could have closed this match in straigths really..she gotta understand that with a player like Elena D you can only run down so much.