PDA

View Full Version : Booing at Serena's Second round match???

VS Fan
May 28th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Well, I just watched the ESPN late night replay of Serena's second round match.
They did cut the majority of the second set out, so maybe I missed something.

I did NOT hear the crowd actively booing in the first OR third sets that were shown. They seemed to be respecting the play of BOTH players, with a slight leaning toward Maria.

There seemed to be a very low pitched "mumbling" going on especially in the third set as Serena made her comeback, but no "booing".

This was a very good match, well played by both players, and I think the crowd enjoyed it. Some unbelieveable rallys were played, and relatively few errors.

Did I see a different match???

cheesestix
May 28th, 2004, 11:44 PM

Nope, a nice, even match, no matter what SOME people say.

As for the booing, I thought some people were saying that she was booed. I seem to recall bragging about how she won despite a hostile crowd. So they were just making it up?

DeDe4925
May 28th, 2004, 11:58 PM
Well, I just watched the ESPN late night replay of Serena's second round match.
They did cut the majority of the second set out, so maybe I missed something.

I did NOT hear the crowd actively booing in the first OR third sets that were shown. They seemed to be respecting the play of BOTH players, with a slight leaning toward Maria.

There seemed to be a very low pitched "mumbling" going on especially in the third set as Serena made her comeback, but no "booing".

This was a very good match, well played by both players, and I think the crowd enjoyed it. Some unbelieveable rallys were played, and relatively few errors.

I agree with you VS, I saw the same match you saw. I saw a good match, I saw Serena being tested by a very good up and coming player and I saw Serena coming through as the champion she is. Serena was not as sharp as she was in '02 and '03, but that is to be expected. She will only get better and begin to dominate like she usually does. I think a lot of fans have the same expectations of Serena and Venus as they do on themselves and we are hard on them. But, I think Serena did exceptionally well to fight her way out of that third set. I wish I could have seen the second set to have a gauge as to how much better she played in that set and set 1 and 3.

P.S.
I heard some booing, but what I mostly heard was that the crowd was cheering when Serena had a fault or committed an error. They didn't do that for Maria. Also, there was a spattering of boos after the match when Serena was giving her kisses to the crowd, but it was overcome with applause, so you could barely hear it. No one was making anything up. Some heard it, and some chose not to hear it.

Berlin_Calling
May 29th, 2004, 12:10 AM
The only real booing I heard was early in the third set, when Serena won a letcord winner and pumped her fist and shouted c'mon.

volta
May 29th, 2004, 12:15 AM
The only real booing I heard was early in the third set, when Serena won a letcord winner and pumped her fist and shouted c'mon.
you didnīt heard when she won the match and she was sending kisses to them they booed her like hell?

faboozadoo15
May 29th, 2004, 12:18 AM
there were some boos when she did the fist pump and when she won... but SOME-- the clapping and cheering more than outweighed the boos.

i think they're just booing for fun now... cheap thrills

VS Fan
May 29th, 2004, 12:19 AM
Sphenx:

No: While I admit the response was lukewarm, It was NOTHING like Indian Wells 2001 or RG semi 2003. Mumbling rather than outright booing. (Maybe ESPN filtered it???)

Berlin_Calling
May 29th, 2004, 12:20 AM
you didnīt heard when she won the match and she was sending kisses to them they booed her like hell?
I dont know. I didnt really pay attention in the end.

sartrista7
May 29th, 2004, 12:21 AM

Yes... there was a lot of booing after that. There was some booing after the match too, but I think the rest of the crowd reacted against it and cheered even harder.

WorldWar24
May 29th, 2004, 12:22 AM

yes they booed her then too

I think Serena needs to do something about this before she becomes a target like Hingis, if she wants to win the tournament. Keep a low profile... don't talk about not feeling affected by crowds at interviews etc. And specially DON'T shout come on when you have a letcord. It's just not the type of thing french people like. They are there to watch competitive matches, but they want a friendly attitude between the players

Berlin_Calling
May 29th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Speaking of Serena, she was just on MTV for some reason lol

volta
May 29th, 2004, 12:31 AM
yes they booed her then too

I think Serena needs to do something about this before she becomes a target like Hingis, if she wants to win the tournament. Keep a low profile... don't talk about not feeling affected by crowds at interviews etc. And specially DON'T shout come on when you have a letcord. It's just not the type of thing french people like. They are there to watch competitive matches, but they want a friendly attitude between the players
well they boo to every1 i still donīt know why they booed Jenn she just told them to shut the f*** up
( :worship: ) they are just a no respect crowd. they arenīt there to watch tennis just to booed at the first player who does something that they donīt like.

WorldWar24
May 29th, 2004, 12:41 AM
well they boo to every1 i still donīt know why they booed Jenn she just told them to shut the f*** up
( :worship: ) they are just a no respect crowd. they arenīt there to watch tennis just to booed at the first player who does something that they donīt like.

Exactly! I don't think they have prejudice against Serena, otherwise they'd have to have prejudice against Cappy and Hingis too. They cheer for Venus coz she's so much quieter than those 3 players. And they also cheer for these players, unless they do something the crowd doesn't like, and that's what happened with Serena and Jennifer this year

vettipooh
May 29th, 2004, 12:53 AM
( :worship: ) they are just a no respect crowd. they arenīt there to watch tennis just to booed at the first player who does something that they donīt like. You are so right,Sphenx.They boo everyone just for the hell of it.So far,they have booed one player or the other,in every match played.There were boos for Agassi,Roddick,Jen, Justine,Serena,Vee,and others,however small or magnified.It seems to be coming mostly from a group of young adults,and teenagers,having what they deem as fun.No biggie! Everyone gets their share from this crowd.Watch for them to boo Lindsay when she plays Momo.Bet you they boo Jcap again tomorrow,when she plays Bovina!!!;)

volta
May 29th, 2004, 12:57 AM
they booed Vee? iīm gonna hut some1. i think 2 that they will boo Jenn

DeDe4925
May 29th, 2004, 01:24 AM
:lol: What match was that??? :lol: Damn, I missed it. I wish I had seen that. Can you describe what happened?