PDA

View Full Version : Zheng won't cash in on historic success (short article)

DelMonte
May 28th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNDU1cml1BF9TAzk1ODYyNTg0BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-frenchopen-notebook&prov=ap&type=lgns

No cashing in on historic success for China's Zheng

By JOCELYN GECKER, Associated Press Writer
May 28, 2004
PARIS (AP) -- Zheng Jie became the first Chinese woman to reach the fourth round of a Grand Slam event -- and her government will profit.

By winning Friday at the French Open, Zheng is guaranteed about $66,600. But most of it will be returned to the Chinese tennis machine.

``I can keep some percent,'' Zheng said through a translator after beating Tathiana Garbin 5-7, 7-6 (1), 6-2. Garbin's previous match was a victory over 2003 champion Justine Henin-Hardenne.

Zheng said successful Chinese players provide financial support for the system that helps them progress.

``The Chinese tennis association spends a lot of money on the players to let them travel abroad,'' Zheng said. ``All the expenses are covered.''

The previous best showing by a woman from China at a major tournament was Li Fang's run to the third round in the 1992 Australian Open.

Zheng faces Paola Suarez on Sunday. No Chinese woman ever has won a WTA Tour event.

Infiniti2001
May 28th, 2004, 09:50 PM
That sucks, but this is the communism system for ya :tape:

AjdeNate!
May 28th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Go Zheng, make that CHN Tennis fed a whole lot more money!!

bobcat
May 28th, 2004, 10:33 PM
This reminds me of when the Russian federation used to do the same thing and Zvereva complained about it. I think it was when she made the Finals of RG and the reporters asked her what she was going to do with all the money. She said something like, "Nothing! I don't get any of it!"

Eurotennisfan
May 28th, 2004, 11:06 PM
not shocking at all.

jan.
May 28th, 2004, 11:41 PM
'No Chinese woman ever has won a WTA Tour event.' wow.

Grachka
May 28th, 2004, 11:47 PM
sounds fine in principle, as long as its not abused.

Zheng Jie will be just fine.

Eurotennisfan
May 28th, 2004, 11:52 PM
She did say that everything is covered...so! ;) that is more than 99% of the tour can say! ;).

Eurotennisfan
May 28th, 2004, 11:52 PM
and remember: $66,000 is a lot in China

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
May 29th, 2004, 01:54 AM
This reminds me of when the Russian federation used to do the same thing and Zvereva complained about it. I think it was when she made the Finals of RG and the reporters asked her what she was going to do with all the money. She said something like, "Nothing! I don't get any of it!"
It was Family Circle Cup :)

PatM04
May 29th, 2004, 02:40 AM
I hate that for her:(

ashwu
May 29th, 2004, 03:22 AM
don't be silly and let the us press lead you to the wrong direction.
try think this way, she didn't pay for the plane, the hotel, the traning, the food, the trainer... all those costs that she has to paid. of course they will get them back.
they would have leave her nothing if it's 1980s. but now? they can't.

Jakeev
May 29th, 2004, 05:24 AM
don't be silly and let the us press lead you to the wrong direction.
try think this way, she didn't pay for the plane, the hotel, the traning, the food, the trainer... all those costs that she has to paid. of course they will get them back.
they would have leave her nothing if it's 1980s. but now? they can't.
That's dandy China covers all the expenses, but when you still get down to it, Jie is still the one doing all the work and she should be allowed to keep a large portion of the prize fund.

If she starts making tons of money in the future, I can't wait to see how long it takes her to keep giving her hard-earned money back to the government.

Steveg
May 29th, 2004, 05:30 AM
Jie started to play tennis at 7. She entered the national team at 17. Since then, all expenses have entirely been covered from A to Z. The Chinese team has been traveling at times with :
- 2 coaches
- one physio
- one fitness trainer

All this while the players were beyond the top 100. I don't believe many players at this ranking level could have afforded such a team.

The drawback is that Jie (like other players) has to give at the moment 65% of her earnings back to the Federation.

More important than the earnings, let's hope that the Chinese players will be allowed to participate at WTA events, even after the Olympic Games are over...

matthias
May 29th, 2004, 05:58 AM
yes, this is what i know too
Zvereva was the same. poor girls from russia at this time
and now poor chinese girls

she should come to Germany and play for us ;)
she could keep all the money, just have to pay tax

FionaZiYi
May 29th, 2004, 06:37 AM
I think there's no real professional tennis in China now,without the aim to participate in Olympic games,the national association won't afford the expenses to let Zheng Jie and the fellow players to travel abroad and play so many tournaments.I think they should give the prize money back to the national association of course,if that seems unfair,but under current sports system it's very fair.

ashwu
May 29th, 2004, 07:45 AM
i remember Li Fang used to play like a real pro. so i guess when a player made a better record and want to play by herself, the association might allow it happen too. not sure though :P
65% is too much i think. but the player also gets salary and will have pension(not so sure if she has though)... complicated...don't wanna think about it anymore~
Yao Ming has to pay a lot of money when he first got the nba contract. and people blamed the basketball association so hard~ (although it seems yao has no problem about it :| ) then they said he doesn't have to pay that much. so, things might change. who knows~

Spunky83
May 29th, 2004, 10:12 AM
yes, this is what i know too
Zvereva was the same. poor girls from russia at this time
and now poor chinese girls

she should come to Germany and play for us ;)
she could keep all the money, just have to pay tax

Yeah...the german tennisfederation spends so much on their players and try to support them whenever they can :rolleyes:

*JR*
May 29th, 2004, 11:43 AM
http://******************** had a wonderful line about this a couple of years ago: "Ain't Gonna Work on Gorby's Farm no More" (takeoff on an old Bob Dylan song title). :D BTW, the Kremlin did compromise with her.

Dava
May 29th, 2004, 11:45 AM
If you think about it, she doesnt have to pay to cover her expensis, so shes probably going to get about the same cut that a normal player ranked between 50-100 would get anyway. IT seems to be a good system, and also though it may seem shocking to people like us who have lived like this for a long time she probably doesnt mind.

Scotso
May 29th, 2004, 12:02 PM
or she could move to Monaco :p

Dava
May 29th, 2004, 12:05 PM
or she could move to Monaco :p
She hasent made THAT much yet ;)

Volcana
May 29th, 2004, 12:07 PM
That's dandy China covers all the expenses, but when you still get down to it, Jie is still the one doing all the work and she should be allowed to keep a large portion of the prize fund.
If you were in the USA, and you had a 6 year old kid who you thought MIGHT be a pro one day. You know that of all the kids who try, maybe one in 50,000 makes it. And it costs $100,000 a year to put the kid in Bolletieri's, plus travel, and trainers, and tutors for school. And you pay that $100,000 for ten years whether the kid makes it or not. That a million dollars.

Then someone comes along and say, we'll give you the million, but IF the kid makes it, we get 65% of her winnings. And we'll KEEP on paying ALL her expenses for as long as she plays. Every meal, plane flight, hotel, trainer, phone call, coach, every dime. Even if that comes to more money than she's earning.

Would you take the deal?

Sammm
May 29th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Russinas used to have to do that, and i read that Zvereva made a really huge fuss after getting to the Hilton Head Final or something which changed a lot?

Dava
May 29th, 2004, 12:12 PM
If you were in the USA, and you had a 6 year old kid who you thought MIGHT be a pro one day. You know that of all the kids who try, maybe one in 50,000 makes it. And it costs $100,000 a year to put the kid in Bolletieri's, plus travel, and trainers, and tutors for school. And you pay that $100,000 for ten years whether the kid makes it or not. That a million dollars.

Then someone comes along and say, we'll give you the million, but IF the kid makes it, we get 65% of her winnings. And we'll KEEP on paying ALL her expenses for as long as she plays. Every meal, plane flight, hotel, trainer, phone call, coach, every dime. Even if that comes to more money than she's earning.

Would you take the deal?
I know I would :D

Hulet
May 29th, 2004, 12:24 PM

Would you take the deal?
In a heart beat. It is pretty similar to a student loan system - which I soon have to spend a lot of my money paying it. :sad:

Rothes
May 29th, 2004, 12:57 PM
It seems to be a good deal, It's like this painter I used to know, He was appointed to painting Hotels etc, Motels. One Motel he was working on, he was making 20CHF an hour, His next job was at another Hotel, where he was only making 14CHF an Hour, but he was allowed Free Board, Free Meals (Breakfast, Lunch and Tea), Free Phoning and Transportation, Most likley he probably came out better in that job then in the first.

Jie Zhengs Winnings are atleast being put to good use, Going straight back into what it came out of, Tennis, The Percentage will go along way in China helping Children develop Tennis Skills and help out other Tennis Players Currently on the tour, When you look it at, it's probably one of Communisms Bennifits when it's used rescourcefully and not corruptly.

She gets Free Coaches, Accomodation, Meals, Physio, Transportation, Her Sponsers as well, I geuss it is the Governments way of Patronage, We scratch your back, now please scratch ours. She probably comes out alot better then most of the Top 100, With her earnings that are left and with the allpaid expences, The Amount of money she has left is probably just as much or even more as the top 100, who have to pay for most of their expences.

Geri
May 29th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Russinas used to have to do that, and i read that Zvereva made a really huge fuss after getting to the Hilton Head Final or something which changed a lot?
Natasha Z got to that final and point blank refused to part with her hard earned cash which she was supposed to under that regime. She was so stubborn about it and in the end the Federation buckled and a lot of players from Russia and The Eastern Bloc from then on were allowed to keep most of their winnings. She was brave to stand up to them and a lot of players from that area of the world have a lot to thank her for.

Tash always was a bit of a rebel though :cool:

Jakeev
May 29th, 2004, 03:00 PM

Would you take the deal?
Helllllllllllll Nooooo. Guess I was just brought up different but no I would not and even if I was struggling as a player I would still find another way.

I was taught that I have to earn my own way and not let anything be handed to me. And frankly I totally prefer the idea of being independent.

For Jie Zheng it might just be ok for her to live this way. But has some Chinese posters have already mentioned, what's going to happen after 2008? If Jie is still a good player after that, will the support still be coming in?

Caz
May 29th, 2004, 03:10 PM
In a heart beat. It is pretty similar to a student loan system - which I soon have to spend a lot of my money paying it. :sad:Yeah, I agree. My university education has pretty much all been paid for by student loans of one kind or another and when I start working full time this year a lot of my wages will go to paying back those loans. I have no problem with that; without the loans, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to go to university in the first place, so I would much rather have had that opportunity than not, even if it does mean a considerable amount of my wages will be spent on paying them back for a considerable amount of time.

This sounds a pretty similar system, except better, because the money being taken out of the players earnings actually goes back into the system to help fund other players, rather than just into a loan company's profits.

tennnisfannn
May 29th, 2004, 03:23 PM
The system works very well for a struggling up coming player, but once she hits it big time 65% will be alot of money. At the same time if that is 65% of prize money it ain't too bad if they don't touch her endorsements. Kim and Justine must be paying almost that same amount in taxes alone anyway. Belgium proabably has the 2nd if not highest taxation in the world. If by paying the 65% Zheng doesn't have to be taxed anymore then the system isn't unfair.

Volcana
May 29th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Helllllllllllll Nooooo. Guess I was just brought up different but no I would not and even if I was struggling as a player I would still find another way. I was taught that I have to earn my own way and not let anything be handed to me. And frankly I totally prefer the idea of being independent.
So, since nothing should be 'handed to you', youwouldn't let your parents buy you rackets or shoes or lesons as a kid. You'd go get a job at 6 or 7 years old, and earn the money to buy rackets and shoes and lessons? Your answer is completely ridiculous. Becoming a professional tennis player is EXPENSIVE. If your parents are wealthy, THEY would be 'handing you something'. Venus and Serena, had parents who weren't poor, if not wealthy, and then Nike. Zheng Jie had the Chinese government. You can't name ONE professional tennis player today who had to 'earn my own way and not let anything be handed to me'.

Not ONE.

We're just discussing WHO is going to be paying to give you the opportunity, AS A CHILD, to develop as a tennis player. SOMEBODY would be 'handing it to you'.

TennisOK
May 29th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNDU1cml1BF9TAzk1ODYyNTg0BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-frenchopen-notebook&prov=ap&type=lgns

By JOCELYN GECKER, Associated Press Writer
May 28, 2004

No Chinese woman ever has won a WTA Tour event.

Wang Shi-Ting won a couple in her career.

Jakeev
May 29th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Wang Shi-Ting won a couple in her career.
If you want to be technical sure. But Shi-Tang played for Taiwan not China.

Jakeev
May 29th, 2004, 05:55 PM
So, since nothing should be 'handed to you', youwouldn't let your parents buy you rackets or shoes or lesons as a kid. You'd go get a job at 6 or 7 years old, and earn the money to buy rackets and shoes and lessons? Your answer is completely ridiculous. Becoming a professional tennis player is EXPENSIVE. If your parents are wealthy, THEY would be 'handing you something'. Venus and Serena, had parents who weren't poor, if not wealthy, and then Nike. Zheng Jie had the Chinese government. You can't name ONE professional tennis player today who had to 'earn my own way and not let anything be handed to me'.

Not ONE.

We're just discussing WHO is going to be paying to give you the opportunity, AS A CHILD, to develop as a tennis player. SOMEBODY would be 'handing it to you'.
Talking about being an adult here, not a teenager still depending on his/her parents.

If I am working hard making the money, sure I would want to give back to those that helped. But it should be my decision how much I am going to give back.

If Jie is happy having all of her expenses paid for and is willing to give back 65% of her earning in doing so than more power to her. But I will reiterate, if she ever makes tons of money playing tennis, I am going to assume she will have a hard look at the whole picture.

Steveg
May 29th, 2004, 07:33 PM
I think the most important issues at the moment are :
- being able to play international tournaments after Olympic Games are over
- finding additional sponsors

miranda_lou
May 30th, 2004, 04:03 AM
I think this player is very lucky. Most people in China are poor and couldn't afford to let their children play tennis (or play a musical instrument or do gymnastics, etc.) The government pays for everything, if that child is good enough. SOOOO, in my opinion, payback is to be expected.:rolleyes: Evidently Zheng Jie doesn't mind, so why should we?

Sadka
May 30th, 2004, 04:25 AM
Yes, poor Jie :sad: :(

Volcana
May 30th, 2004, 04:46 AM
Talking about being an adult here, not a teenager still depending on his/her parents.
NOt many players take up tennis as adults and become pros.

If I am working hard making the money, sure I would want to give back to those that helped. But it should be my decision how much I am going to give back.
You're not the only one working hard. Facilities have to be paid for. Equipment. Coaches. It takes a LOT of money. How much of that do you think you're going to get by telling people, 'you invest your time and money in money, and I'll decide how much you get paid back'?

That's like me taking a student loan, and telling the bank, 'after graduation, I get to decide how I'll pay back.' I DON'T get to decide that. That decision is made the moment I take the loan.

If Jie is happy having all of her expenses paid for and is willing to give back 65% of her earning in doing so than more power to her. But I will reiterate, if she ever makes tons of money playing tennis, I am going to assume she will have a hard look at the whole picture.
If she ever makes a lot of money, one hopes she'll be properly grateful.

The Chinese government isn't Nike. They won't sell 200 million pairs of sneakers to make up for the money they invested in her.

You can't ignore the fact that someone's been paying for her training for ten or fifteen years. Kids start training for pro careers YOUNG. 4, 5, 6 and 7 years old. Someone has to pay for the next ten years of training, without knowing if they're paying for Venus Williams or Ashley Harkleroad. The Chinese government pays for thousands of kids to have a chance to try tennis, and hundreds to enough of a chance to be Zheng. Most of them don't make a dime. And remember, there are a lot of poor people in China. Even making only 35%, she's still way ahead of most mainland Chinese.

She's getting a chance she would not otherwise have.

sartrista7
May 30th, 2004, 08:07 AM

Trouble is, this hyper-individualistic way of looking at the world isn't entirely accurate. As Volcana pointed out... it's never just you working hard. Put it this way: if the Chinese government hadn't helped Jie out financially for the past decade or so, there is no guarantee that she would have even become a pro tennis player. It wasn't a just a little bit of help to get her career started... it was instrumental to her having this career at all. And if someone gives you that much help, you pay them back on their terms. It's exactly like student loans.

Even now, Zheng doesn't have to pay for her travel expenses, or her coach, or her trainer. Other players ranked where she is probably spend 65% of their earnings on those things alone.

CooCooCachoo
May 30th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Good points sartrista7. This might actually be a very good way of promoting the sport in China. A lot of players from other countries cannot travel abroad because they don't have the money, which results in a lot of talent being wasted. The Chinese system prevents that from happening.