PDA

View Full Version : Maria Kirilenko gave up a career as a ballerina to try to become a tennis player!

the cat
May 28th, 2004, 08:42 PM
And it's a move that is paying off big time for Maria. :D Because she just floats and glides around the tennis court I've wondered if Masha ever had any ballet training in the past. She is like a Bolshoi ballerina in tennis sneakers! :) :cool: ;) And an AP article about Makiri's match against Serena Williams also talks about her ballet background as well as the match. The article is located at http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040528/APS/405280628

P.S. - There is also a picture of Maria accompanying the article. But it's not Maria Kirilenko. I guess that's a mistake that's easy to make. ;)

jack duckworth
May 28th, 2004, 08:44 PM
i thought you had to be a certain height for that dancing?.....she looks quite dainty:)...although she seems to have grown from the us open last year

DOUCHEVINAS better:)

DelMonte
May 28th, 2004, 08:45 PM
link does not work.

beauty_is_pink
May 28th, 2004, 08:46 PM
hey cat! link doesnt work! :confused:

Didn't kno that about Makiri but man she rocks anywho! :p

Martian Willow
May 28th, 2004, 08:48 PM
...good decision... :yeah:

:)

the cat
May 28th, 2004, 08:51 PM
The link works now. I had to make a change. But they actually had a picture of Maria Sharapova next to the article thinking it was Maria Kirilenko. :rolleyes: But now there is a picture of Marat Safin pulling his tennis shorts back up after he briefly dropped them! :eek:

Jack, you do need a certain height to be a ballerina. And Maria is listed at 5'8" tall by the WTA Tour. Although most people think she is in the 5'7" range.

jack duckworth
May 28th, 2004, 08:52 PM
the cat...i seen maria playing amelie at the us open....she looked so tiny then...but quite talented..i am surprised that she has not been mentioned at all on the board:)...up to now

- L i n a -
May 28th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Makiri hasn't been mentioned, because the majority of her results have been pretty awful.

Tennis was the right choice.

Keep improving, and beat the less talented Maria.

jack duckworth
May 28th, 2004, 09:00 PM
i never understand that...why cheer for a player who is winning..whats the point:)

the cat
May 28th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Lina, you could have gone without getting in that dig at Maria Sharapova.

Jack, I think part of the fun of being a tennis fan is seeing players like Maria Kirilenko and Maria Sharapova from the beginning of their careers and watch them develope into good tennis players and good people. :D

lakeway11
May 28th, 2004, 09:11 PM
"She is like a Bolshoi ballerina in tennis sneakers!"

i knew there was a reason I adore her :)

jack duckworth
May 28th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by the cat
Jack, I think part of the fun of being a tennis fan is seeing players like Maria Kirilenko and Maria Sharapova from the beginning of their careers and watch them develope into good tennis players and good people.

i agree to an extent.....but the majority of fans dont do that

the cat
May 28th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Hi Lakeway! :wavey: I gather you like the ballet. :)

Jack, being a fan doesn't mean the same thing to everyone. And i think WTA World proves that.

LeonHart
May 28th, 2004, 09:57 PM
I was soooo impressed by Makiri yesterday! OMG, thx god I recorded that match! I'm so happy for her, even though she lost. She showed some Hingis-like guts out there on the court.

the cat
May 28th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Well said Leonhart. In addition to showing guts and fighting spirit, Maria showed a nice all court game and a natural feel for the game of tennis. :)

Lapin
May 29th, 2004, 12:08 AM
I think you might have to be below a certain height to be a ballerina... But yes, she made the right choice!! I really enjoyed watching her play! :)

Sonja
May 29th, 2004, 01:15 AM
Thans for the link cat! I didn't know she'd given up being a ballerina.

the cat
May 29th, 2004, 02:18 AM
You're welcome Sonja. I didn't know Maria had given up on becomeing a ballerina. But I did think because of the beautiful ways she moves on the tennis court that at some point Masha might have had a ballet or gymnasitcs background. It turns out she had a ballet background and it shows in the way way she just glides around the tennis court. :)

jack duckworth
May 29th, 2004, 09:31 AM
it also helps shes quite good looking....because very few people like cheering for ugly players:)

azza
May 29th, 2004, 09:49 AM
How cute!!!! :awww:

the cat
May 29th, 2004, 02:52 PM
It's all about the tennis, Jack. :) ;) Maria Kirilenko plays fine all court tennis with a penchant for charging the net. And that's what is most attractive about her game. Masha being attractive is secondary to her tennis.

SerialKiller#69
May 29th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Makiri hasn't been mentioned, because the majority of her results have been pretty awful.

Tennis was the right choice.

Keep improving, and beat the less talented Maria.
:haha:

that's a compliment though. calling Maria talented, regardless how much.:angel:

i didn't read the article. i'm too lazy. but is her nick really Makiri, or just made up in here?

jack duckworth
May 29th, 2004, 07:06 PM
lol yeah...its all about tennis:)...good one

the cat
May 29th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Jack, it really is about the tennis. :) ;) And I find Maria Kirilenko's tennis to be the most attractive tennis I've seen from a WTA player this year! :D

What's so funny, Serial? Lina getting a dig in at Big Masha saying Little Masha is more talented? And I annointed the nickname Makiri to Maria last year in Russian Roulette and others have picked up on it.

jack duckworth
May 29th, 2004, 09:18 PM
lol im joking:)

SerialKiller#69
May 29th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Jack, it really is about the tennis. :) ;) And I find Maria Kirilenko's tennis to be the most attractive tennis I've seen from a WTA player this year! :D

What's so funny, Serial? Lina getting a dig in at Big Masha saying Little Masha is more talented? And I annointed the nickname Makiri to Maria last year in Russian Roulette and others have picked up on it.
Nice nickname for Maria.

I don't like big Masha. And I'm laughing not really because of the dig at her, but because of the way Lina phrased it.;)

the cat
May 30th, 2004, 03:30 AM
I thought you were joking, Jack. ;)

Serial, Lina is as funny as Bugs Bunny! :p

Northstar2814
May 30th, 2004, 03:58 AM
This off the current discussion. Does anyone know how I can obtain a full copy of the picture of Mary Pierce taken by Helmut Newton? Musman_2814@yahoo.com

maheshind
May 30th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Jack, I think part of the fun of being a tennis fan is seeing players like Maria Kirilenko and Maria Sharapova from the beginning of their careers and watch them develope into good tennis players and good people. :D

Rightly said as always, the cat. I know quite a few people who change their alliances according to the success of the player. I also came across a few who say that they will wait until Maria K becomes a top player. I find it very funny :D . Well different people have diff meanings of a fan ;) . I myself have been a fan of Maria K for about 2 1/2 years now when i watched a bit of that US Open Semis when i was in NY. It's been pure luck that the only WTA event in India was started in my home city and Maria K played in it. There's talk of Tier III event being held in Bangalore this year in Sep/Oct and the Hyderabad one next year being upgraded to Tier III. So if everything materialises and if Maria decides to play , i could see her game in Sep or Oct :cool: .

the cat
May 30th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Thanks Mahesind. I hope there are more WTA tournaments played in your part of the world in the future. Maria really loves to play in Hyberbaad that's for sure. :)

Northstar, I don't don't know how you can get a full copy of the Mary Pierce picture taken by Helmut Newton. But good luck in finding one.