PDA

View Full Version : Dementieva def. Smashnova 0-6 7-6 retire

tennisIlove09
May 28th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Smashnova had terrible cramps in her legs and wrists after the second set. She started serving in the third set and dropped her racket after the serve because her wrist was cramping :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

BK4ever
May 28th, 2004, 06:44 PM
omg she looked like she was in so much pain...i've had mild cramps and they were awful :sad: hate to see it end that way...

it really sucks for her

Bezz
May 28th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Bad luck Anna, she had the match, if she didnt tire towards the end, elena is sooo lucky!!, but i dont think she will last long in this tournament with everyone playing really well,.

goldenlox
May 28th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Get well soon Anna.

TheBoiledEgg
May 28th, 2004, 06:46 PM
pity it ended this way, i'm sure Lena would have pulled it off but we'll never know

Anna was in real agony :sad: omg...... cramps are just really a bitch.

Lena has more than a good chance vs Lindsay serve or no serve.

Dava
May 28th, 2004, 06:49 PM
pity it ended this way, i'm sure Lena would have pulled it off but we'll never know

Anna was in real agony :sad: omg...... cramps are just really a bitch.

Lena has more than a good chance vs Lindsay serve or no serve.
You think...not the way she was serving today...m,y god Im sure I catched one second serve at 38MPH.

treiber04
May 28th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Anna :sad:...apparently she was up 1-0 in the third as well.

PointBlank
May 28th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Anna :sad: she had this match .. would have been her first R4 since '98

Anna has had great last 2 weeks and should be mad at nothing.

CoryAnnAvants#1
May 28th, 2004, 06:54 PM
The only reason she's even in the 4th round is because of lucky draws and circumstances like that. She gets Mervana-Jugic Salkic, out of the top 100 and playing in her first GS main draw, Nicole Pratt (on clay...might as well have been a qualifier), and then Smashnova, who would have won the match had it not been for cramping.

She'll be lucky to get 5 games off Lindsay. Save for the Nasdaq, this year has been a complete zero for Elena as far as good tennis.

Doc
May 28th, 2004, 07:02 PM
A little unfair on Elena by some people.

she served terribly in the 1st set. Only 16% 1st serves. Unusually bad even for her.

But in the 2nd set, she got her first serve rate up to 53% and scored 17 winners to Anna's 8.

1 game of the 3rd set is hardly enough to award it to Pistolesi.

In any event, cramping is due to conditioning problems, and over-exertion during play. Conditioning is a part of tennis, and until recently you weren't allowed a time-out for cramps. So, to be harsh, if Pistolesi was not well-enough conditioned, or did not pace herself well, that is a factor in the sport.

hingis-seles
May 28th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Anna :sad: :sad: :sad:

tenn_ace
May 28th, 2004, 07:05 PM
this is strange... Anna seems to be one of the fittest players on the tour, but it happened to her before (when she played Golovin in Paris).

PointBlank
May 28th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Anna is very fit .. she served in the army here and you have to be real fit to do it (and everyone has to do it ;))

she has had cramping problems alot but its unfortunate it happened here

again .. these are some on Annas beat 2 weeks .. winning Vienna(Tier 2) and then this

tennisIlove09
May 28th, 2004, 07:10 PM
this is strange... Anna seems to be one of the fittest players on the tour, but it happened to her before (when she played Golovin in Paris).
Carillo was saying it could be the tension her body is feeling. Not the fact that she's unfit...but the fact that her body was reacting to the tense match.

Eurotennisfan
May 28th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Carillo was saying it could be the tension her body is feeling. Not the fact that she's unfit...but the fact that her body was reacting to the tense match.
yup!

Bероника
May 28th, 2004, 07:16 PM
poor Anna!

sartrista7
May 28th, 2004, 07:18 PM
The final score was 0-6 7-6 1-1 ret... the thread title is wrong.

Very sad to see Anna in so much pain. Lena really needs to buck up her ideas about playing, though... she was a bit lucky.

PointBlank
May 28th, 2004, 07:21 PM
sorry your also wrong :wavey:

0-6,7-6,0-1

Thanks for trying though :)

WtaTour4Ever
May 28th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Wow, I've seen players have cramps before, but she really looked in a lot of pain, had me almost wanting to cry before. I've never gotten cramps like that, just a random charlie horse :-) Hope she feels better.

jean_genie
May 28th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Get well soon, Anna:sad:

Mattographer
May 29th, 2004, 01:11 AM
again .. these are some on Annas beat 2 weeks .. winning Vienna(Tier 2) and then this
It's Tier III (3)

esquímaux
May 29th, 2004, 01:18 AM
:crying2: Anna...:bigcry: I've never had cramps (or any physical disorders :scratch: ) so I can only imagine what it was like for her. :sad:

Veritas
May 29th, 2004, 03:03 AM
Sorry to hear about Anna's wrist injury :sad: Hope she gets better soon!

And I'm really disappointed in Elena D :( She made like, what? 32 double faults? I don't understand why she doesn't do something about that serve? Her coach is telling her to change it, her fans know very well the kind of player Elena can really be once her serve (and volleying) is up to scratch and nearly every tennis commentator always finds something about Elena's serve to criticise about: "The toss is not straight enough", "She hits the ball too late/early", "Her service motion isn't smooth enough", etc, etc.

Stephieva
May 29th, 2004, 03:29 AM
me read someone said that lena said...
lena now has a betta serve...
it's a mantal block preventing lena from using a new service...:(
lena doesn't have confidence now...
lena has had bad serve for many yrs...
maybe...it takes more time...

jan.
May 29th, 2004, 06:45 AM
sucks for anna :( she was leading in the third.

Jackson.
May 29th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Anna :sad:

Sucks to see a match end like this..

Good luck Elena :D :D

ashwu
May 29th, 2004, 07:58 AM
dementiava has the worst serve that i've ever seen.:p
but she is always very lucky:)

bad luck for smashnova:o

SpikeyAidanm
May 29th, 2004, 08:43 AM
I have never seen a player put so much weight and effort into one shot than Pistolesi, and thats just the shot, not to mention the movement...

Not a surprise...

Svennovitch
May 29th, 2004, 08:50 AM
I saw the last few games of this match live. And I must say, Lena's serve is really bad. Her second serve is :eek: , never imagined that was possible for a top-10 player. Her ground strokes on the other hand were very good.

It was really sad when Anna got the cramps. The crowd went ooh and aaah, and gave a nice standing ovation when she decided to retire the match. It was painful to watch and hear her having a lot of pain...

Sammm
May 29th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Poor Anna :sad: Paris is bad luck for her. I'm pretty sure she could have taken Dementieva as well.

DEETHELICK
May 29th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Elena changed her game plan in the 2nd set, which is why she won it. Basocally she stepped it up and took the intiative. the only reason Anna was even in the match was becuase Elena made 51 UEs in a 6-0 6-7 match. Many a time, Elena would lose a game because of her own UEs.

Anna led 1-0 in the third, but Elena had double BP to break straight back. She looked fitter, fresher and very eager to smack that ball....

IMO, Anna's chance was to win the TB, but Elena stormed through it gaining a 6-o advantage.

Elena's serve was up and down. Sometimes it was very pacy and good, sometimes just a tad too slow. It'll be interesting to see what she does against Lindsay. :)