PDA

View Full Version : the media complain when serena gets booed..but not when hingis got booed?

jack duckworth
May 28th, 2004, 07:40 PM
why are certain sections of the media complaining about serena being boohooed? :rolleyes: ...yet when hingis was receiving the same treatment...there was silence :confused: :)

Black Mamba.
May 28th, 2004, 07:43 PM
There are one main difference which has nothing to do with the r word.

1. Serena is American at a time where Franco-American relations are at an all time low. Some media people such as Bill O'Reilly take incidents like this and use it to get Americans to continue to boycott French goods.

jack duckworth
May 28th, 2004, 07:48 PM
so if hingis were american they would complain?

Justineladivine
May 28th, 2004, 07:49 PM
why are certain sections of the media complaining about serena being boohooed? :rolleyes: ...yet when hingis was receiving the same treatment...there was silence :confused: :)

I think the treatment was worse. Some Serena fans claim Serena lost a semi because of the crowd last year. If a crowd is enough to make someone lose, then Martina's plight was worse cause she lost the only GS final she's never won. Plus they were even harsher on her on that day. What I find very weird is a poster here who claims his admiration for Graf (admiration shared here). Yet, he/she's one of those who keep going on about Justine not deserving her win while never thinking the same about Graf on that particular occasion. Twisted logic or a cult for paradoxes? Anyway, I have seen some players prevail in very hostile conditions, so?

Black Mamba.
May 28th, 2004, 07:53 PM
so if hingis were american they would complain?

If relations between France and America were like they are now, I would say yes. Just last year Bill O'Reilly used Serena's treatment from the crowd as another example of why Americans should boycott french goods, I can almost promise if Hingis were American and she played in this time of conflict between the two countries the media specfically Bill O'Reilly would be all over it.

7~LV3
May 28th, 2004, 07:55 PM
I think it was the incident during their matches...

jack duckworth
May 28th, 2004, 07:56 PM
i didnt hear the crowd booing all the american players:)

Kabezya
May 28th, 2004, 07:57 PM
What is the media supposed to do or say about Hingis and her situation exactly?

jack duckworth
May 28th, 2004, 07:58 PM
what is the media supposed to do or say about williams and her situation exactly?:)

Black Mamba.
May 28th, 2004, 07:59 PM
i didnt hear the crowd booing all the american players:)

J-Cap, Roddick, Serena, and Megan S

Martian Willow
May 28th, 2004, 07:59 PM
I think the treatment was worse. Some Serena fans claim Serena lost a semi because of the crowd last year. If a crowd is enough to make someone lose, then Martina's plight was worse cause she lost the only GS final she's never won. Plus they were even harsher on her on that day. What I find very weird is a poster here who claims his admiration for Graf (admiration shared here). Yet, he/she's one of those who keep going on about Justine not deserving her win while never thinking the same about Graf on that particular occasion. Twisted logic or a cult for paradoxes? Anyway, I have seen some players prevail in very hostile conditions, so?

...I can't imagine who you mean... :scratch:

:)

jack duckworth
May 28th, 2004, 08:00 PM
are you saying im deaf?

Kabezya
May 28th, 2004, 08:03 PM
why are certain sections of the media complaining about serena being boohooed? ...yet when hingis was receiving the same treatment...there was silence

&

what is the media supposed to do or say about williams and her situation exactly?:)

:confused:

So you are bothered by the fact that the media has something to say about Serena being booed and not Hingis but are confused if not questioning what they exactly are supposed to say about Serena and her situation? :confused:

jack duckworth
May 28th, 2004, 08:05 PM
im not bothered..nor confused....serena is not in a different postition:)

Martian Willow
May 28th, 2004, 08:06 PM
So you are bothered by the fact that the media has something to say about Serena being booed and not Hingis but are confused if not questioning what they exactly are supposed to say about Serena and her situation? :confused:

...he's asking why the media complains when Serena gets boohooed but not when Martina got boohooed...I hope that clarifies things for you... :)

jack duckworth
May 28th, 2004, 08:07 PM
lol willow

Justineladivine
May 28th, 2004, 08:09 PM
...he's asking why the media complains when Serena gets boohooed but not when Martina got boohooed...I hope that clarifies things for you... :)

Thanks Willow, I've been thinking for a long time a new job should be added into GM, next to Moderators: translators/interpreters. No kidding that would do a lot of good on many occasions.

DA FOREHAND
May 28th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Serena's a fighter, Hingis quit

jack duckworth
May 28th, 2004, 08:17 PM
go watch nickelodeon

thedarkone
May 28th, 2004, 08:19 PM
What's on Nickelodeon?

jack duckworth
May 28th, 2004, 08:22 PM
my my you were quick registering;)

Kabezya
May 28th, 2004, 08:27 PM

I got the gist of this when he first asked his question, however the second question he threw out was off - again I ask what is the media supposed to say about Hingis being booed?

hingis-seles
May 28th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Serena's a fighter, Hingis quit
:tape: :tape: :tape:

What I find very weird is a poster here who claims his admiration for Graf (admiration shared here). Yet, he/she's one of those who keep going on about Justine not deserving her win while never thinking the same about Graf on that particular occasion. Twisted logic or a cult for paradoxes?
:tape: :tape: :tape:

jenny161185
May 28th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Hingis took it in her stride as Serena did and played great matches after her incident - and please stop going on about how Hinigs quit as if she just gave up for no reason , if Serena had the same injurys Im sure she would be retired aswell as would any of the other girls out there.

Martian Willow
May 28th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Hingis took it in her stride as Serena did and played great matches after her incident - and please stop going on about how Hinigs quit as if she just gave up for no reason , if Serena had the same injurys Im sure she would be retired aswell as would any of the other girls out there.

...no, I can't see Serena (or Venus) gritting their teeth and playing through pain either...unfortunately the likes of DA FOREHAND are impervious to this kind of logic... :)

hingis-seles
May 28th, 2004, 08:33 PM
I got the gist of this when he first asked his question, however the second question he threw out was off - again I ask what is the media supposed to say about Hingis being booed?
This post:

was in response to this post:

What is the media supposed to do or say about Hingis and her situation exactly?
See, he said that there is all this talk about how Serena was booed but nothing was said about badly Hingis was treated. So, when you asked what the media was supposed to say or do about the Hingis situation, he replied with a question, that what is the media supposed to say or do about the Serena situation. Meaning, that they should treat them equally rather than complaining about Serena's mistreatment but keeping quiet when Hingis was given far worse treatment.

jack duckworth
May 28th, 2004, 08:35 PM
im not saying the media should have said anything when hingis was being booed....i am asking why are they moaning when serena is?:)

Justineladivine
May 28th, 2004, 08:35 PM
...I can't imagine who you mean... :scratch:

:)

He/she will recognise himself/herself. But I won't know he/she's on my i.l.

jack duckworth
May 28th, 2004, 08:42 PM
when i asked nikerulz....are you saying im deaf?...i ment it in a kind way:)

hingis-seles
May 28th, 2004, 08:44 PM
im not saying the media should have said anything when hingis was being booed....i am asking why are they moaning when serena is?:)
My bad. :o

Apologies.

jack duckworth
May 28th, 2004, 08:47 PM
hingis-seles....i think the media should have said something:)...thats what im trying to ask here....why do they think that serena is any different...or is it they think their being politically correct:)

Black Mamba.
May 28th, 2004, 08:49 PM
when i asked nikerulz....are you saying im deaf?...i ment it in a kind way:)

You were responding to me? I didn't know that, and no I wasn't saying you were deaf.

jack duckworth
May 28th, 2004, 08:51 PM
what?

SJW
May 28th, 2004, 08:53 PM
...no, I can't see Serena (or Venus) gritting their teeth and playing through pain either...unfortunately the likes of DA FOREHAND are impervious to this kind of logic... :)
isn't Wimbledon your home slam? oops.

Hingis being booed was one of the worst things i've seen. that's all i have to say. i'm all for stripping the french of a slam :)...

Black Mamba.
May 28th, 2004, 08:55 PM
what?

:lol:

jack duckworth
May 28th, 2004, 08:57 PM
hehe...i know...that was shameful joke....:)

Kabezya
May 28th, 2004, 09:14 PM
This post:

was in response to this post:

See, he said that there is all this talk about how Serena was booed but nothing was said about badly Hingis was treated. So, when you asked what the media was supposed to say or do about the Hingis situation, he replied with a question, that what is the media supposed to say or do about the Serena situation. Meaning, that they should treat them equally rather than complaining about Serena's mistreatment but keeping quiet when Hingis was given far worse treatment.

Ah thank you. The coffee is not working for me this morning.

I honestly cannot even begin to infer why there was not equal media attention to Serena and Martina's treatment by the hands of the French crowd. I feel fans make more of it sometimes then the media, but I also think that the personalities involved have something to do with it that attracts more attention to Serena's case - both are still current players and both added to the imagination of the day. I don't fully know, it would be interesting to know why this is the case :shrug:

However in them not complaining enough to the satisfaction that Serena's has been talked about doesn't go to say that Hingis' treatment was right and Serena's wrong. Some judgment calls are being made, but the treatment by both ladies was simply bad - we don't need to media to declare it to make it so.

jack duckworth
May 28th, 2004, 09:19 PM
the media should complain...their being paid to report...im sure they have an opinion on it...they have on everything else....thats the whole point here...they voiced it concerning williams...but not with hingis:)

Kabezya
May 28th, 2004, 09:25 PM
the media should complain...their being paid to report...im sure they have an opinion on it...they have on everything else....thats the whole point here...they voiced it concerning williams...but not with hingis:)

They should complain, today, about someone who isn't even a current player? I don't think the media patted the French crowd on the back for their reaction then, as some aren't doing now. I doubt there wasn't a section of the media that was appalled by Hingis' treatment as there probably was a section that rationalized it as some possibly have done in Serena's case. Either way whether the media covers it and a specific amount, what happened with both women cannot be changed.

ico4498
May 28th, 2004, 09:35 PM
"At this year's French Open, it was made apparent that even without playing against a member of the opposite sex, Serena often finds herself in a handicapped scenario on the tennis court. In addition to facing competition that is increasingly determined to dethrone her (which is certainly fair), she often has to deal with hostile crowds vehemently opposed to her success (which most certainly is not fair, in fact, it's deplorable). Excuses are routinely concocted for such boorish behavior as was demonstrated by fans in Roland Garros, but I for one am not buying them. It has been said that fans get on Venus' and Serena's case because of the antics of their opinionated and somewhat obnoxious father, but he has been keeping a lower profile for some time now, and their mother who now coaches them is clearly a class act. Yet still the boos come. There are those who claim it's natural for fans to grow bored with dominance by a single individual or team in a sport, and to clamor for change at the top of the heap. But I didn't hear much booing of the Lakers, or the Yankees, or Pete Sampras as they were victorious time and time again. For winning four consecutive Grand Slams, Serena Williams should be regularly greeted by ovations. Instead, she provoked the ire of the French Open crowd simply by protesting some calls, even after it was proven that her protests were valid and the bad calls were overruled. To compare the booing of Serena to the booing of Martina Hingis during her 1999 French Open final loss to Steffi Graf is preposterous, but nonetheless, people have called the situations identical. The truth is that Martina was booed for making an ass of herself, something she repeatedly did throughout her career, for her level of maturity never did catch up to the grace of her game. As for Serena, like her mother and older sister, she has been nothing but dignified on and off the court. I do acknowledge that recent political tensions between Frace and the United States may have played a minor part. I concede that it was reasonable for Justine Henin-Hardenne to be the crowd favorite because she is from the neighboring country of Belgium and speaks fluent French. But there is a big difference between actively rooting for a player on one side of the net, and mean-spiritedly rooting against the player on the other side."

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/6366/101366

Martian Willow
May 28th, 2004, 10:13 PM
isn't Wimbledon your home slam? oops.

...I think it's pretty obvious what I meant...oops... :)

DeDe4925
May 28th, 2004, 10:27 PM
hingis-seles....i think the media should have said something:)...thats what im trying to ask here....why do they think that serena is any different...or is it they think their being politically correct:)
I think you're asking the wrong people. You need to ask the media that question. They do have letters to the editor or websites where you can write to the commentators. But, I truly think you're trying to start a brawl up here. :lol:

(Sitting back with my fruit punch and popcorn and watching the show)

jack duckworth
May 29th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by Machu Picchu
They should complain, today, about someone who isn't even a current player? I don't think the media patted the French crowd on the back for their reaction then, as some aren't doing now.

no...thats not what i said:)....i meaning when it happened

Originally Posted by DeMond
I think you're asking the wrong people. You need to ask the media that question. They do have letters to the editor or websites where you can write to the commentators. But, I truly think you're trying to start a brawl up here.

the wrong people...around here?...sure most people around here know everything about tennis...their all experts :)
no no...im not trying to start a ...brawl:)....just asking a question....see im one of those non biased sensible level headed persons who give a humble honest opinion...when asked:)

SpikeyAidanm
May 29th, 2004, 09:25 AM
The media can make a bigger story out of "Serena being booed" than hingis ... just the way they work to attract greater interest/revenue from viewers.