PDA

View Full Version : evening matches

mariok
May 28th, 2004, 06:24 PM
I was just wondering... there are evening matches at the USO, but as far as I know there are none on the other 3 Slams. Why is that? :scratch:
Do you like evening matches, anyway? I do, I find them interesting, kind of. Plus there are useful in a way, especially during summer and on big tournaments. What do you think?

TheBoiledEgg
May 28th, 2004, 06:27 PM
there are night matches at AUS Open as well

you cant have them at RG and WIM cos it gets dark around 10pm.

mariok
May 28th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Sure, but in New York it's dark, too. Meaning- I was talking about playing under "artificial" light... Hope you got it now.

Black Mamba.
May 28th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Just look at how the stadiums are built. If you notice with the stadiums at Rolland Garros and Wimbeldon they tend to be more open and out which makes it very difficult to put artifical lights out.

Cam'ron Giles
May 28th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Just look at how the stadiums are built. If you notice with the stadiums at Rolland Garros and Wimbeldon they tend to be more open and out which makes it very difficult to put artifical lights out.
:confused:

TheBoiledEgg
May 28th, 2004, 06:34 PM
it gets dark at US Open around 7pm so its fine to play night matches.

Melbourne is same.

u dont need night matches at RG
and playing under lights is impossible on grass
around 9pm...... the grass gets wet cos of dew and comes near impossible to play.

Spunky83
May 28th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Furthermore Wimbledon is a very traditional tourney. It´s a wonder to me that they decided to put a roof up the centre court.

Mase
May 28th, 2004, 06:36 PM
:confused:
:confused::confused:

Cam'ron Giles
May 28th, 2004, 06:58 PM
:confused::confused:
What does that mean baby????? :kiss:

Mase
May 28th, 2004, 06:59 PM
What does that mean baby????? :kiss:
If you can find the meaning of thatm, you educational level is way above mine.. :haha::haha:

Hope to see you tonight..:devil:

Cam'ron Giles
May 28th, 2004, 07:10 PM
If you can find the meaning of thatm, you educational level is way above mine.. :haha::haha:

Hope to see you tonight..:devil:
Greased and waiting...:hearts: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :hearts:

Kuti Kis&Monica
May 28th, 2004, 07:11 PM
I think that they should put some atificial lights because there always are some matches which are to be postponed because of the darkness. Two consequences :

1/ That changes the physionomy of the match
2/ The spectators can't see the end of the match in which they were thrilled :(

I can tell you one thing : in Roland Garros, only three things are important for the French Federation. Money, Money and Money. But respect for spectators ? Never. The only slam where the qualifying is not free for example ? Roland Garros (8 euros three years old for a qualifying's day, 14 euros this year, in 2010 it will be 20 for sure).
I have a thousand things more to say but that'd be too long.

Eurotennisfan
May 28th, 2004, 07:11 PM
I think with Clay it might be a huge advantage to some players to have night matches over day-matches (due to cooler conditions etc.) so it might cause problems with that.

Black Mamba.
May 28th, 2004, 07:12 PM
The courts at Roland Garros and Wimbeldon expand outward, while The courts at the US Open expand up. If you don't know what I mean compare Arthur Ashe Stadium with the stadiums and Roland Garros and Wimbledon

Kuti Kis&Monica
May 28th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Just take the example of Monte Carlo : there are not night sessions, but in the other hand, when because of the rain or other reasons, the schedule isn't over, they have artificial lights.

darrinbaker00
May 28th, 2004, 07:20 PM
There are no night matches at Roland Garros and Wimbledon because there are no lights at either venue. Next topic, please. ;)