PDA

View Full Version : Zheng Def. Garbin 5-7, 7-6(7-1), 6-2

lizchris
May 28th, 2004, 05:02 PM
She faces Suarez next.

wongqks
May 28th, 2004, 05:03 PM
So happy for Jie, is that the furthest a chinese women has ever reach in a slam?

lizchris
May 28th, 2004, 05:04 PM
So happy for Jie, is that the furthest a chinese women has ever reach in a slam?
Yes.

Rafe306
May 28th, 2004, 05:05 PM
OMG Jie..You're sooo good..keep going!!! I'm pretty sure no other chinese women has made it this deep in a grand slam.

tyk101
May 28th, 2004, 05:06 PM
go zheng! thought u were blowing a few leads in the first two sets, but u held it together in the tie break and third set.. go zheng!

New
May 28th, 2004, 05:07 PM
She played very well today!!! I do not know if people would agree but her quick footwork reminds me of Coetzer!! She just does not give up, even when Garbin smashes!!!

Her overall strokes were better, but her nerves is a big problem. I do not think she'll find Suarez easy to play, but she'll fight anyway!!! :bounce: :banana:

All the best to Zheng!!! And Garbin...Good win against Justine yesterday, a bit off today for you!!! Come back strong next time!!! :yeah:

pierce0415
May 28th, 2004, 05:08 PM
OMG Jie ... this is definitely record for Chinese woman ... the furthest was 3rd round by Fang Li in 1992 ...

Good luck against Paola !!!

silverwhite
May 28th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Zheng Jie! :bounce:

wongqks
May 28th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Zheng Jie! :bounce:
I know just feel like calling her by her first name ;)

Libertango
May 28th, 2004, 05:11 PM
:bounce: So happy for her, and now a great chance for either her or Paola, two of my faves! :) Shame they have to play each other really :sad:

But still, big congrats to Jie! :woohoo:

Experimentee
May 28th, 2004, 05:12 PM
What an excellent result for Jie! She was blowing leads in 1st and 2nd sets, but then held her nerve in the 3rd! :D
Good luck against Suarez! :kiss:

lizchris
May 28th, 2004, 05:13 PM
:bounce: So happy for her, and now a great chance for either her or Paola, two of my faves! :) Shame they have to play each other really :sad:

But still, big congrats to Jie! :woohoo:
A great chance for anyone in that part of the draw.

Whoever comes out the victor on Tuesday will be in their first RG semifinal ever.

whorehand
Typical.

GoSandrine
disappointing Tathiana couldn't follow up her magnificent effort against Juju :sobbing:

Experimentee
May 28th, 2004, 05:22 PM
I believe Jie will be in the top 50 after this win :) (dont quote me on that though)

kyk710
May 28th, 2004, 05:46 PM
I believe Jie will be in the top 50 after this win :) (dont quote me on that though)
I'm pretty sure she will be. I didn't work out the exact points but after a quick look I think she should be in the top 50 :bounce: . If not she will be very very close.

Experimentee
May 28th, 2004, 05:52 PM
I'm pretty sure she will be. I didn't work out the exact points but after a quick look I think she should be in the top 50 :bounce: . If not she will be very very close.

Yeah I'm pretty sure too but i didnt calculate :)
Lasy year people didnt believe me when I said she could be top 50, I am so glad she showed them ;)

Chance
May 28th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Great job Jie!!

out of the 4 I can't predict who will make the semis- so damn wide open.

Justine :(

Task
May 28th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Tathiana :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

A letdown after her win against Justine, but Tax is #86 and Zheng is #58. To win this Tax would have to have made two upsets in a row.

Congratulations Zheng.

martinafan
May 28th, 2004, 06:16 PM
They showed the match here on foxsports in australia. Jie really likes whacking the ball for such a small girl!!! And she never gives up....she is soooo quick around the court, and does have great footwork! She's really feisty!

Garbin was really throwing Jie off with high loopy moonballs - Jie hit a LOT of errors off those shots, and that is why she lost the first set.

Half way through the second set, Garbin started to look very tired - she had done a LOT of running throughout the match with Jie making her run all over the place...but Garbin was able to fight with everything she had and really make a good contest of it...but once Jie was able to pull through the 2nd set tie-break i knew Garbin had no chance of winning.

In the 3rd set, Garbin tried everything she could to win because physically and mentally she just was not there. Garbin was practically moonballing a LOT of the time - and really got the crowd involved aswell. After hitting the ball she made really weird grunts during the rally as if it was of pain almost and the crowd was almost laughing in the middle of points sometimes because of it! LOL

But i was very impressed with Jie's concentration during the last set as she was able to ignore what Garbin was doing and just keep the ball in play until Garbin made an error. Jie didn't get rattled at all. I was very impressed!

I'm a real big fan of Jie' now, and really hope she can beat Suarez....i love her game, and her attitude on court!

GO JIE!

Mateo Mathieu
May 28th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Darn! I didn't see that match on Fox Sports as I was at bed! :o PFF! I guess I will watch it during highlight in the afternoon :rolleyes:

Libertango
May 28th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Thanks Martinafan, nice to hear off someone who watched the match :) I'm still yet to see Jie play, but now that she's gotten this far maybe I will here. Glad you were so impressed by her :D

Justineladivine
May 28th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Another non-seeded player who stages a major upset and next round just goes down the drain. Pity, I would have loved her to go farther. Oh well...

tennisIlove09
May 28th, 2004, 07:08 PM
I think this alone goes to show how far away JHH was from her game

pierce0415
May 28th, 2004, 07:22 PM
If someone had told me at the beginning of the tournament that Jie would advance from a section that included Justine and Loit I would have not have believed it ...

keep it going Jie

Martian KC
May 28th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Jie Zheng!:worship:

treiber04
May 28th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Jie! :eek: :D I believe this is the farthest a Chinese player has ever gone in a slam?

AKTW
May 28th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Jie! :eek: :D I believe this is the farthest a Chinese player has ever gone in a slam?
Yes.
Congratulations!

Greenout
May 29th, 2004, 01:54 AM
Jie was great. Don't use the Amanda comparison. Jie hits the ball really
hard. Very Asian hardcourt player style like what they do in Japan. Lot's of
clean striking of the ball anywhere from the court.

Jie's strategy was good, hit hard and deep. She tried to combat the loopy
crap/moonballs by give Garbin some of the same shots back; but sneaking
in with some real hard returns. She had Garbin pinned and to the back of
the baseline alot in from the tiebreaker on into the 3rd set. The Garbin
drop shots did not work like they did in her match against Justine.

Great match, and interesting to see Jie handle the big pressure well. Good
to see her not let Garbin's antics intrude in her own ball bashing.

John Barrett was so annoyed at Garbin. He sounded like an old school master/principal. He was trying to hold back saying that she's "cheating".

"You see that! Garbin is using gamesmenship, such a pity for Jie."

"That isn't a real cramp"

"Garbin is trying to get the crowd's sympathy"

:lol: John Barrett!

V.Melb
May 29th, 2004, 02:00 AM
Yes Greenout... he was quite irritated.

"...if infact she IS cramping"
He didn't like her tactics.

vettipooh
May 29th, 2004, 02:09 AM
Really wish that I had seen that match!!!Now that she is making history,hopefully they might televise her upcoming match.

GoSandrine
May 29th, 2004, 02:58 AM
Tax retired after one set of her doubles match immediately after with muscle cramps. :p

G-O-B
May 29th, 2004, 03:19 AM
so impressed with zheng, what a great tournament for her

she was choking terrible in this match but held on, a great job :)

KingA
May 29th, 2004, 03:24 AM
Impressive run so far by Zheng!!! :D

Who knows???? If she can beat Loit in two straight sets..... she will have a chance to beat Suarez too....

Keep it up, Zheng!!!

Rafe306
May 29th, 2004, 04:05 AM
Well Jie has received 136 points and 46 quality points by reaching the 4th round of the open which is awesome, which is prolly good enough to put her in the top 50. Still don't understand how quality points affect a person's ranking but good for her anyways. I think there will be a big spur of top 100 chinese tennis players to come like the russian wta players currently

Aerien
May 29th, 2004, 04:17 AM
I loved watching this match especially when it got funny in the third set. Some moments were Tathiana refusing to change sides to receive after a line call went against her for the second time in a row. I thought she was going to get penalized when she was handing her racquet to the chair umpire. :lol:

Congrats Zheng on making it to the fourth round in your DEBUT appearance at Roland Garros. :)

Sadka
May 29th, 2004, 04:23 AM
Jie :kiss: :worship:

Go Asian tennis!! :hearts:

ashwu
May 29th, 2004, 04:29 AM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
http://image2.sina.com.cn/ty/U339P6T12D910723F44DT20040529074616.jpghttp://image2.sina.com.cn/ty/s/p/2004-05-29/U397P6T12D910861F44DT20040529085914.jpghttp://image2.sina.com.cn/ty/o/p/2004-05-28/U329P6T12D910434F44DT20040529001129.jpg

BlinX
May 29th, 2004, 05:07 AM
way to go jie! make china proud!!!!! :bigclap:

Jakeev
May 29th, 2004, 06:18 AM
What can I say accept I am really glad Jie won that match. Tat played hard but really was in trouble the entire time it seemed like. Glad to see Jie kept her composure the entire match and will be interesting to see how she battles Paola.

Steveg
May 29th, 2004, 06:22 AM
At the end of the match, Tatiana congratulated warmly Jie for her match. And kissed her on the cheeks. It was so sweet of her as the match had been very tense. A way to say "no hard feelings".

Jie is not used to cheek kissing (not in Chinese culture) and was a bit surprised, but certainly appreciated the move.

Steveg
May 29th, 2004, 06:23 AM
I loved watching this match especially when it got funny in the third set. Some moments were Tathiana refusing to change sides to receive after a line call went against her for the second time in a row. I thought she was going to get penalized when she was handing her racquet to the chair umpire. :lol:

Congrats Zheng on making it to the fourth round in your DEBUT appearance at Roland Garros. :)
Another funny part was when Tatiana tried to mimic Jie's grunting during the points. Jie won all these exchanges ;) .

Dymension
May 29th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Sounds like fun match! :p :lol:

Congrats Jie ;)

xin_hui
May 29th, 2004, 07:43 AM
zheng jie played REALLY REALLY REALLy well! i was SO impressed by her!

way to go, zheng jie! jia you!:bounce:

Task
May 29th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Tathiana :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Still wish Tax had won, but it sounds like a fun match.

Wish Espn had shown it.