PDA

View Full Version : Is Maria Kirilenko Good? Or was it a Fluke?

tennisIlove09
May 28th, 2004, 12:11 PM
No really. Is she really that good? or was it just she played the match of her life combined with Serena's low level?

How many times have we seen a lower player play a great match, but they do little or nothing else? (Think: Cap's first round; Kandarr vs. Mauresmo in 01; Weingartner vs. Cap AO 03--although Marlene is making a run here, her first since the AO; Krasnoroustkaya vs. Kim Canada--she hasn't done any thing since).

I guess time will tell (since Emelie Loit almost beat Serena, it's like she been another player...I hadn't heard of Loit before that AO match)

Dava
May 28th, 2004, 12:50 PM
I think she is good, she reached the third round of the US Open last year (where she was beaten 6-4 6-3 by Amelie which is no mean loss) and has had good wins on the tour (Kapros, Zheng, Callens, Barna). Ok maybe she might not have been as up for the match if it wasetnSernea, but shes only 17 and I think we shall see her for many years to come.

The loses you've shown were to do with the players shortcomings, Mauresmo was cleary nearvous and Jana had the experience to deal with it, Cappy was just playing BAD. But both Maria and Yulia both played there hearts out, and theres nothing that Serena and Jen could have dont much better to beat them more easily, even Jen herself admited that.

Maria was going for broke, ebing aggressive, using angles, attacking the net with confidense, and going for it on her second serve. You dont get that kinda of performance in ONE match, she was cleary thinking out a stragedy. She knew Serenas forehand was miss firing and in a lot of points, just played to the forehand until she forced a mistake. That kinda thinking is a talent, not just something she improvised while on court. She only lost the match, cos Serena was the better player, the better fighter.

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Hmmm....time will tell. But there´s an example for that: Karolina Sprem...

SJW
May 28th, 2004, 12:55 PM
she didn't impress me first time around but i'll watch the match again.

Mrs. Peel
May 28th, 2004, 01:54 PM
she didn't impress me first time around but i'll watch the match again.
I wasn't all that impressed either...she played pretty well and demonstrated good shotmaking but...:rolleyes: not jumping on that bandwagon. I'll wait and see how she plays over the coming months.

I have yet to see Sprem play..she's been bombing out of matches since she heartily challenged and lost to Venus :tape: Sprem's game sounds VERY promising but if she could just win when it counts...

Jakeev
May 28th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Again, cannot take anything away from Maria. She played a surprisingly agressive, smart clay-court match against Serena. Fearless play if you will.

But as I mentioned in another thread, I want to see how good this girl really is on a faster surface. Somehow, I suspect if Maria were to meet Serena in the third round of Wimbledon, it will be one entirely different match.

bubble
May 28th, 2004, 02:20 PM
well, Brad Gilbert is impressed with her and suggested that she could be the next Martina Hingis...

Let's hope in future Grandslams , Maria K has the chance to go deeper and so more tv exposure to us viewers in order to see her game.

Gowza
May 28th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Again, cannot take anything away from Maria. She played a surprisingly agressive, smart clay-court match against Serena. Fearless play if you will.

But as I mentioned in another thread, I want to see how good this girl really is on a faster surface. Somehow, I suspect if Maria were to meet Serena in the third round of Wimbledon, it will be one entirely different match.
grass is a totally diff story but thats not only for maria k but all the russians plus all other players. the williams sisters are almost unbeatable on grass. remember last year vera beat venus on clay at RG but got whipped on grass at wimby only a month later and petrova had just reached the semis of RG and venus thrashed her a month later on grass at wimby and petrova's game is very suited to grass. the only russian that could possibly challenge the williams sisters or at least not get thrashed by them is maybe sharapova but seeing as petrova gets killed even with that serve of hers im not sure sharapova (at least not atm) could challenge them.

kirilenko has a lot of talent but she is very inconsistent atm.

good luck for the grass season maria k!

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 02:30 PM
grass is a totally diff story but thats not only for maria k but all the russians plus all other players. the williams sisters are almost unbeatable on grass. remember last year vera beat venus on clay at RG but got whipped on grass at wimby only a month later and petrova had just reached the semis of RG and venus thrashed her a month later on grass at wimby and petrova's game is very suited to grass. the only russian that could possibly challenge the williams sisters or at least not get thrashed by them is maybe sharapova but seeing as petrova gets killed even with that serve of hers im not sure sharapova (at least not atm) could challenge them.

kirilenko has a lot of talent but she is very inconsistent atm.

good luck for the grass season maria k!

Glad you realise it...

sartrista7
May 28th, 2004, 02:58 PM

No reason that this should matter. Grass is not a superior surface, merely a different one... and speculation like that is pretty irrelevant. Masha's results suggest that she's best on hardcourts, anyway.

I have yet to see Sprem play..she's been bombing out of matches since she heartily challenged and lost to Venus Sprem's game sounds VERY promising but if she could just win when it counts...

She's only played ONE match since the Venus loss! It was a bad loss, but give her time.

I think what impressed me most about the Masha v Serena match was that Serena wasn't playing especially badly, at least not in the third set... and Masha stayed right with her, out-thinking and out-manoeuvring her, until she choked. Nonetheless... Masha's year to date has not been stellar. There's no denying she has talent, though.

Experimentee
May 28th, 2004, 03:07 PM
I think she is good, but not like some people are saying! I didnt see the match but everytime a player challenges the Williams sisters everyone instantly jumps on their bandwagon! I dont think shes top 10, but maybe she can be top 50.
Shes been in good form anyway, she recently won a 50K. She doesnt play like this all the time, shes been quite inconsistent this year.

Chance
May 28th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Sprem has played 3 matches since losing to Venus.

It will be interesting to see how the 2 Maria's and Sprem play in the next couple of years.

Experimentee, good point.

Mrs. Peel
May 28th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Sprem has played 3 matches since losing to Venus.

It will be interesting to see how the 2 Maria's and Sprem play in the next couple of years.

Experimentee, good point.
Thank you for clarifying that! I knew that she had played more than once since that loss to Venus! :wavey:

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 03:55 PM
No reason that this should matter. Grass is not a superior surface, merely a different one... and speculation like that is pretty irrelevant. Masha's results suggest that she's best on hardcourts, anyway.

She's only played ONE match since the Venus loss! It was a bad loss, but give her time.

I think what impressed me most about the Masha v Serena match was that Serena wasn't playing especially badly, at least not in the third set... and Masha stayed right with her, out-thinking and out-manoeuvring her, until she choked. Nonetheless... Masha's year to date has not been stellar. There's no denying she has talent, though.

:lol: Me thinks it was more Serena missing her shots than any outthinking?! What´s up with that anyway?! Don´t need much thinking when your opponent is missing....

TheBoiledEgg
May 28th, 2004, 03:58 PM
of course she would miss her shots if she was out-witted and in the wrong place to hit them.

or else she would be superwoman :rolleyes:

DA FOREHAND
May 28th, 2004, 04:00 PM
I agree Serena was misfiring on quite a few shots. I didn't see much thinking out there yesterday. Serena did what champions do..they win even when they aren't playing well.

- L i n a -
May 28th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Only time will tell if this match was a fluke for Makiri.

She has a lot of growing to do... both physically, and with her tennis game.

DA FOREHAND
May 28th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Only time will tell if this match was a fluke for Makiri.

She has a lot of growing to do... both physically, and with her tennis game.
YOu're right to compete effectively w/the next generation, she will need at least 3 more inches of height.

lakeway11
May 28th, 2004, 08:22 PM
well, Brad Gilbert is impressed with her and suggested that she could be the next Martina Hingis...

Let's hope in future Grandslams , Maria K has the chance to go deeper and so more tv exposure to us viewers in order to see her game.

amen for more tv exposure :D ...well i'm impressed too with Maria (was also impressed with seeing Annak as a 14yo player :rolleyes:) BUT there will always be only one Marti :hearts:

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 08:27 PM
of course she would miss her shots if she was out-witted and in the wrong place to hit them.

or else she would be superwoman :rolleyes:

In the end she won....all that matters. Maria can take her thinking back to Russia or Ukraine...

beauty_is_pink
May 28th, 2004, 08:34 PM
She's got talent. and it's not gonna be wasted.

Answer: Maria Kirilenko is good. :)

Eurotennisfan
May 28th, 2004, 08:50 PM
the girls is 17 people! What were we going at 17?

the cat
May 28th, 2004, 08:51 PM
While Maria Kirilenko lacks the size that most top players today have, she has a natural feel for the game of tennis that few women's tennis players have. And at only 17 she has an all court game that will only get better. But I think it will be hard for Masha to win big on the WTA Tour because she's so slight. It is possible that she can become a top 20 player and possibly do even better than that. It was refreshing for me to watch the slight of might Makiri and her intelligent and talented style of tennis pose a serious challenge to the overwhelming Serena. :D Women's tennis needs more thoughtful all court players like Maria Kirilenko. :)

Volcana
May 28th, 2004, 08:59 PM
She came into the tournament ranked #100. Obviously there's no great body of work to fall back on. And remember in the late nineties there were five Frenchwomen in the top ten, most of who didn't get there til they were over 25. It could be the better part of a decade til we see if what looks like potential becomes an actuality. And even if it does, think Barbara Schett, Patty Schnyder, Anna Kournikova. Top tenplayers all. At one point.

If she's plays the way she did that match she could be a top 20 player. But wins tell you more than loses.

Volcana
May 28th, 2004, 09:08 PM
And at only 17 she has an all court game that will only get better.If she retains it. Hantuchova HAD an all court game too. Which we haven't seen in two years.

It was refreshing for me to watch the slight of might Makiri and her intelligent and talented style of tennis pose a serious challenge to the overwhelming Serena. :D Women's tennis needs more thoughtful all court players like Maria Kirilenko. :)What exactly would you call an 'all court' game?

I would call Serena a baseliner, yet she went to net slightly more than Kirilenko, volleyed more efficiently, sliced off both wings, used a one-handed and two-handed backhanded, varied height VERY well, used topspin forehand and backhand, forced her way inside the baseline repeated and displayed really nice touch on her drop shot. And I'm calling her a baseliner.

Would I call Kirilenko an 'all court' player? or would you call Serena one?

I should add the my idea 'all court' players are Billie Jean king and Evonne Goolagong. Justine and Serena are the closest thing these days, but to me they're still baseliners.

Nobody's Perfecc
May 28th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Volcana: Venus is more of an all-court player than Serena.

dreamgoddess099
May 28th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Maria was good, but not as great as some are saying. Anybody who take a set off a top player in a grandslam will get a lot of sudden attention. She is very consistent and keeps a lot of balls in play, but she wasn't exactly hitting winners left and right against Serena. Serena was in position to hit a lot Maria's shots, but was just missing. Serena had more winners so it wasn't like she couldn't out hit Maria. Serena also made more UFEs and won the match because she stopped going for so much and played better defense. I guess people think Maria was out hitting Serena because Serena was allowing Maria to dictate the points and was not really trying to out hit her back in that third set. Maria was hitting some hard balls, but not like Sprem against Venus. Sprem played a better match against Venus than Maria did against Serena.

dreamgoddess099
May 28th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Volcana: Venus is more of an all-court player than Serena.Actually there's not a shot that I haven't seen both hit before. They just rely on their strengths more because they know for a fact that they can win with them. They have more confidence in certain shots and are more likely to go to them more often.

Martian KC
May 28th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Quelle surprise.:o It was serena having an off day blah blah blah................

Volcana
May 28th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Volcana: Venus is more of an all-court player than Serena.Well, she CAN be. At Charleston she was. At Warsaw, not so much. At Berlin she spent most of the tournament on the baseline. I just sometimes think we all use the term 'all court player' too loosely. to my mind, an all court player can play on the baseline, goes to net to PLAY the point there, not just to WIN the point there, and can actually pick up a half volley from three feet inside the service line.

Venus goes to net more than Serena, but she doesn't play the midcourt as well.

G-O-B
May 29th, 2004, 02:29 AM
she has a lot of talent and i think she'll do very well in the future.

she has quite a bit of variety and moves very well

Black Mamba.
May 29th, 2004, 02:32 AM
It was one match I can't base anything on one match.