PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova def. Zvonareva 6-3 7-6(3)

per4ever
May 28th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Well done Masha :bounce:

Heidi Capriati
May 28th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Well done, Maria! Nice win. :)

tennisvideos
May 28th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Yes, a good win for Sharapova and with Petrova losing and Henin out it really opens up the draw :)

SpikeyAidanm
May 28th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Surprising result.

Sharapova really started to play improved tennis since Berlin.

LucasArg
May 28th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Paola will reach the semis!!! :bounce: :)

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Nice win by Maria.....but man is Vera a head-case!! Just when you thought she was gonna keep the pressure up, she goes hit three df´s in a row! DAANNGG!!

Dava
May 28th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Nice win for Masha :bounce: I cant believe how well she played.

As for Vera :sad:...she fought well had the second set in her hands and let it go. And when she got to the tiebreaker she rolled over and died for Maria.

I hope Maria can make the semis.

pav
May 28th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Well done Masha, sad for Zvona but was outplayed, almost looked like it was heading for a 3rd at one stage

BK4ever
May 28th, 2004, 10:58 AM
I cant stand Sharapova...the hype machine is now going to be in overdrive...tupid tupid vera...if there is a tennis god, marly will keep up her brilliant play and beat her...

Chance
May 28th, 2004, 10:59 AM
3 df in a row? damn

well its marlene vs maria in round 4

Epigone
May 28th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Masha :yeah:

As I thought might happen, Vera's serve let her down at the worst possible time. Vera has matches like this from time to time, and it's just a shame that it had to happen at the French Open with the draw wide open.

ninedays
May 28th, 2004, 11:15 AM
:bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: go maria :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

VeraNuVirgosFan
May 28th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Masha, congratulations!!

Keep It Up, Mademoiselle Sharapova!!

I'm so proud of You!!

With Love

selesbooz
May 28th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Good job Maria, Now you can make it to the Semi's.:bounce:

t_fan
May 28th, 2004, 11:31 AM
uh, sweet Masha! :bounce:

bubble
May 28th, 2004, 11:35 AM
funny, Masha was so composed and calm during the last few games until when she screamed in delight after she won matchpoint that you can feel how badly she wanted to win.... :)

great job Maria!
Sorry for Vera

F-R-E-A-K
May 28th, 2004, 11:36 AM
I watched this match and Sharapova was playing a very high standard and well Vera, was just making too many errors, due to the fact that she knew that Sharapova was going to smack it for a winner.

It was a good and much needed win by Sharapova. It should give her plenty of confidence.

8-10 DF though, I think she was tryign to attack more with her DF, her second service speed was around 150-158km when she DF alot.

Welldone Masha!! :D

Shuji Shuriken
May 28th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Maria :bounce: :hearts: :kiss: :woohoo:....great win girlie :kiss:...let's keep going :bounce: :bounce:

VeraNuVirgosFan
May 28th, 2004, 11:47 AM
...but man is Vera a head-case!! Just when you thought she was gonna keep the pressure up, she goes hit three df´s in a row! DAANNGG!!
And Sharapova was just a bit better as far ar the DFs are concerned (see below from wtatour.com):

"Her game was hampered by a shaky serve, which delivered eight double faults and nearly cost the No18 seed the second set (she double faulted twice when serving for the match at 6-5, handing Zvonareva the break back)."

Daniel
May 28th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Vera :sad:
Now, Sharapova gets to the semis :)

cometz9
May 28th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Awesome Win Masha :hearts: this is your chance to shine at RG :yeah: Good Luck :banana: Poor Vera :sad: better luck next time.

Edward.
May 28th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Great job Maria! :D

tennisIlove09
May 28th, 2004, 11:57 AM
MARIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yea!

treiber04
May 28th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Maria! :banana:

Andrew.
May 28th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Vera let's the hype machine continue. Blah.

VeraNuVirgosFan
May 28th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Viva "the hype machine"!

Bероника
May 28th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Nice win,Maria!!! :D

Hope you keep going far in this tourney!!!

!<blocparty>!
May 28th, 2004, 12:18 PM
well done masha, wish i could have seen the match live!! I was stuck in a english Literature exam, oh well.

skanky~skanketta
May 28th, 2004, 12:18 PM
vera/ :banghead:

foreva lindsay
May 28th, 2004, 12:20 PM
suprise win
well done maria!!!

Calliope.
May 28th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Congrats Maria, nice win! :D Let's go to the semis now!
But I'm sorry for Vera :sad:

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Hmmm.....I think the Vera the Z era is slowly coming to a screaching halt.....just doesn´t a stand-out weapon..

Sharapova's_Boy
May 28th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Udachi Masha :D :yeah:

Vera's level seems to be dropping dramatically though, everytime I see her she's getting worse :sad: :crying2:

But today Masha was the better player, she had some amazing winners :hug:

Yonge
May 28th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Good job Masha, but I'm not surprised. :yeah:

charmedRic
May 28th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Great Job By Miss Sharapova, :).

Jakeev
May 28th, 2004, 01:24 PM
You know I think calling Maria so over-hyped is very unfair from some of the posters on here. First of all, the girl works very hard to be a good player. Her headlines as far as I can see does not dominate the tennis world.

For a girl who is still limited by how much she can play, she still continuing to rise high in the rankings.

Give her a break for crying out loud. She outplayed Vera and as far as I am concerned, was the better Russian on this day.

pualeez
May 28th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Way to go Maria. :bounce:

Mase
May 28th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Good win Masha!!! My predictions are all coming true.... :bounce:

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 01:49 PM
You know I think calling Maria so over-hyped is very unfair from some of the posters on here. First of all, the girl works very hard to be a good player. Her headlines as far as I can see does not dominate the tennis world.

For a girl who is still limited by how much she can play, she still continuing to rise high in the rankings.

Give her a break for crying out loud. She outplayed Vera and as far as I am concerned, was the better Russian on this day.

She IS the better Russian...doesn´t take much though!

Epigone
May 28th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Hmmm.....I think the Vera the Z era is slowly coming to a screaching halt.....just doesn´t a stand-out weapon..Her backhand is a standout weapon, but when her serve sucks so badly, she has to go defensive too often.

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Her backhand is a standout weapon, but when her serve sucks so badly, she has to go defensive too often.

the serve, the serve and a russian. Where have we heard that again?!....how are they teaching these girls play tennis?! Soooooo many girls with stand-out ground games but can´t serve at all..

Richie77
May 28th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Good job Maria!! :yeah:

the cat
May 28th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Well done Maria! :D But now the pressure is on her to beat Weingartner and advance to her first grand slam quarterfinal. I'm not sure how well Masha will handle the pressure of being the favorite against Weingartner.

tennisluver99
May 28th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Keep going Maria, get to the quarters.

Gowza
May 28th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Well done Maria! :D But now the pressure is on her to beat Weingartner and advance to her first grand slam quarterfinal. I'm not sure how well Masha will handle the pressure of being the favorite against Weingartner.
weingartner is actually playing ok but her 2nd serve is aweful, she will have to serve very very well to win imo otherwise masha will just trounce her 2nd serve. i saw a bit of the match today against petrova and nadia didnt seem to be hitting many winners which is unusual for her, most points ended by her hitting an error, however i only saw the last 2 or 3 games so the rest of the match could have been different but last year petrova was finishing those rallies with winners and not errors.

maria has a very nice chance here, she has been in a 4th round at a slam before and im sure she has taken a lot from that match. good luck maria!

Knizzle
May 28th, 2004, 02:28 PM
I knew she would beat Vera Z!! Congrats Masha!!

apoet29
May 28th, 2004, 02:35 PM

Thanks for this post. I totally agree. Maria has never dominated the headlines the way Kournikova did in her playing days. Heck, I watched ESPN2 for an hour this morning and they never even mentioned that Maria beat Zvonareva! That was a shock considering that Vera took out Venus this time last year.

Maria has worked very hard for her results and she has done well since joining the tour last year. Winning two titles and making the fourth round of two GS's within a year is not easy to do when you are limited in how much you can actually play.

I think Maria will do just fine against Marlene. This win was what she needed, I think, to start gaining some confidence on this surface and in GS's.

spec7er
May 28th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Vera just sprayed alot of balls and credit to Maria who dictated much of the play. I didn't think Vera could bring it to the third considering how she was playing really. But did anybody notice that Vera was a bit teary-eyed when she was leaving the court? I guess the pressure of defending those QF points really got to her.

-Em-
May 28th, 2004, 03:23 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

anyway, CONGRATS Maria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:devil: :devil: :devil:

Havok
May 28th, 2004, 03:27 PM
:retard: if Maria gets to the semis of Roland Garros 04 :bigcry::bigcry::haha:

LindsayRocks89
May 28th, 2004, 04:02 PM
well, well, well, I knew Maria would win, and everyone doubted her, she is a great player, and was the better player, Maria is Awesome, and good luck to her in the next round :bounce:

katrientje
May 28th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Congrats Maria! People who saw the match should realize the "hype" is justified. she played the tennis of the future!
Well done Maria :-)

the cat
May 28th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Well said Jakeev and apoet. Maria Sharapova isn't hyped nearly as much as Anna Kournikova was at age 17. And Maria is never in the headlines for her off court life the way Anna was at 17. Masha is all about tennis and it's about time everyone realized that. An occasional photo shoot for Masha is just fine because she needs to break up the monotony of tennis 24 hours a day 7 days a week and 365 days a year.

Jarrett
May 28th, 2004, 04:53 PM
I don't think they mentioned Maria's win on ESPN because they plan on showing it after their live coverage.

Roxers
May 28th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Vera :sad:

Well done Maria! Keep going :D

daniela86
May 28th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Vera :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:
Btw, congrats Masha :yeah: You must play a solid match here!!! :worship:
I'll cheer for you and Gisela now :D

daniela's necklace
May 28th, 2004, 05:56 PM
sweet! Go Masha! :bounce:

bozmanova
May 28th, 2004, 06:10 PM
I wish i could have watched this!! I was in a english literature gcse exam!!

jojoseph
May 28th, 2004, 06:27 PM
very nice play from Masha.
I especially liked seeing her going for aces on her second serves. Very gutsy.

GoSandrine
May 28th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Maria played brilliantly. If she can keep up that sort of form she'll be in the semis for sure.

Edward.
May 28th, 2004, 07:11 PM
I wish i could have watched this!! I was in a english literature gcse exam!!

I know the feeling mate- I missed it cause I was in an English Literature exam too!

hnwortman
May 28th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Maria Sharapova Is A Fox And I Admire Her Grace Moves

KingA
May 29th, 2004, 02:37 AM
Vera wasn't there at the match at all..... her whole body expression was just so negative.... I think the virus thing did affect her...... :o

Anyway... a good win by Maria!!! But she needs more consistency in her game.... she almost blew the 2nd set away by making too many unforced errors and poor serving at the crucial points..... She should have won the match more easily than what it was....

Keep it going, Maria!!!! :D I just hope you won't be having too much pressure though as I know the media and most people are now looking towards her to do something big here!!!!

VeraNuVirgosFan
May 29th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Anyway... a good win by Maria!!! But she needs more consistency in her game.... she almost blew the 2nd set away by making too many unforced errors and poor serving at the crucial points..... She should have won the match more easily than what it was....
I completely agree with you.

Masha played the 1st set well, but the 2nd set was a different story - I think Masha managed to close the 2nd set only because Vera played it just a bit better than she played the 1st one (at Memphis Vera did come-back to win the match).