PDA

View Full Version : Maria Kirilenko Is Good!

VeNuS#1LoVa
May 28th, 2004, 10:52 AM
I saw her for the first time vs. Serena last night and she is now one of my favorite players, is anyone else impressed? I love her groundstrokes, they're just lovely. She's also a very gorgeous young girl, but I'm talking tennis ability...Does anyone else think she's a future Top 10ner?

tennnisfannn
May 28th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Didn't see it. But on RG website that was the match that was tauted to be the match of the day and it sure lived upto expectations results wise. Don't know how good the tennis was though as i didn't see it.
At the same time this could have been another sprem, fights like hell against venus and wimpers out of the FO.

Vass22
May 28th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Only God knows if she's a future top tenner. There are so many other people, who have that potential and someone would not fit into the top-10. But, yeah. Maybe she is a future top ten player.

Gowza
May 28th, 2004, 11:14 AM
future top 10ner or not she is one awesome player

sartrista7
May 28th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Masha played amazingly against Serena... she uses her brain on court, which is good to see, and was placing the ball where she wanted pretty much at will until 4-2 in the decider. She's had some awful losses, though, so clearly she's not always like this... we shall see.

Rollo
May 28th, 2004, 12:36 PM
What impressed me the most was her willingness to go to the net. And unlike Sharapova, who just bashes the ball, she didn't overplay a lot of balls.

This chick is the complete package if she holds it all together.

mandy7
May 28th, 2004, 12:41 PM
i saw her play and it took me about 3 minutes to became a fan
she's awesome, i love her (on court that is :p)

Venus Forever
May 28th, 2004, 12:44 PM
She's good, but I don't know about the top 10, it's pretty crowded up there.

Top 20 definitely, top 10 maybe.

Foot_Fault
May 28th, 2004, 12:59 PM
she reminds me of a more PRECISE Sharapova. More COmposed.

WF4EVER
May 28th, 2004, 01:14 PM
she reminds me of a more PRECISE Sharapova. More COmposed.
I thought the same thing, but I fear that age/maturity will rob her of that confidence she exudes from not having the pressures the other players do, no points to defend, absolutely nothing to lose.

I was very impressed.

Yes, it is crowded in the top ten, they'll be like crabs trying to scamper over each other trying to get to the top, but the best and strongest will survive.

Sharapova's_Boy
May 28th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Udachi Makiri :yeah:

Still mad they didn't show the match here... instead showing Ferrero's loss 3 times. :rolleyes:

SJW
May 28th, 2004, 01:54 PM
:shrug: i think there are a few Russians better than her...

Dava
May 28th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Yes I think right now there are better Russians then her (Kuznetsova, Safina, Sharapova especially) but shes the youngest of the lot, and I think given time her game will mature and develope (or at least hopefully it will, I dont want her to do a Vera Z and just stick to the same game that she was playing when 16).

SJW
May 28th, 2004, 01:59 PM
her serve looks pretty fragile...maybe she should take lessons from Svetlana

Dava
May 28th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Yes it was her serve which broke down in the end...she reminds me of Dementieva actually, in more ways then one ;)

foreva lindsay
May 28th, 2004, 02:19 PM
i thought she was really good and should have beaten serena. hope this isnt a fluke

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 02:24 PM
We will see....Ive seen numerous cases of players touted as the next best thing, only not to hear from them again...and they almost always seem to come from the same region.

Jakeev
May 28th, 2004, 02:31 PM
This was probably not a fluke performance by Maria. She definitely seems to have game.

But I would love to see how a player like Kirilenko handles Serena on faster surfaces such as grass.

Somehow, I think the results will be different.

Experimentee
May 28th, 2004, 02:31 PM
I think she is good, but it seems like every time someone challenges a Williams sister there are people all over saying they will be the next big thing, future top 10, etc.
Obviously not everyone Venus or Serena loses a set to will be future top 10.

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 02:37 PM
This was probably not a fluke performance by Maria. She definitely seems to have game.

But I would love to see how a player like Kirilenko handles Serena on faster surfaces such as grass.

Somehow, I think the results will be different.

Exactly....easy to challenge Serena on clay, on grass and hardcourts?! whole different story!

Habsudovafan
May 28th, 2004, 02:38 PM
I was very impressed.

the cat
May 28th, 2004, 03:20 PM
tennnisfannn, I also noticed that the Roland Garros website wrote how Maria Kirilenko could give Serena Williams a tough match and she did. That was a ggod call by the Roland Garros website.

dava, to me Kirilenko is nothing like Dementieva. And Masha has a nice service motion while Elena has a poor service motion. And Masha constructs points while Elena is a baseline basher.

SJW, there are only a couple of the Russina's who are really good at constructing points. Anastasia Myskina is one of them. And so is Maria Kirilenko.

Barrie_Dude
May 28th, 2004, 04:18 PM
I saw her for the first time vs. Serena last night and she is now one of my favorite players, is anyone else impressed? I love her groundstrokes, they're just lovely. She's also a very gorgeous young girl, but I'm talking tennis ability...Does anyone else think she's a future Top 10ner?I saw the match and agree that this sexy Russian tart is quite impressive. She gave Serena a run for her money!

Artie746
May 29th, 2004, 06:17 PM
http://tennisrulz.com/players/kirilenko/Kirilenko.jpg