PDA

View Full Version : Lets analyze Serena's performance...

henree
May 27th, 2004, 09:18 PM
I had a bad feeling that Serena would fall off in this round.
First of all Serena was making too many errors. She was not making smart choices in alot of the shots she was going for. Even though she is in great physical shape, mentally she hasn't matured yet. She made really bad decisions, and she became tentative at the worse times. Seeing Serena try to counterpunch was awful. I hope she takes this loss and refocuses her game.
As a matter of fact Serena should take Kirilinko out to dinner. Because nothing makes Serena more determined and ferocious than a bad loss or a bad performance. Serena never makes the same mistake twice. Mark my words Serena will be handing out some bagels in the next few matches. :fiery:

DA FOREHAND
May 27th, 2004, 09:20 PM
"Even though she is in great physical shape, mentally she hasn't matured yet. "

You don't win four striaght slams w/out being mentally mature.:rolleyes:

Eurotennisfan
May 27th, 2004, 09:22 PM
"Even though she is in great physical shape, mentally she hasn't matured yet. "

You don't win four striaght slams w/out being mentally mature.:rolleyes:
;) --Very true.

Volcana
May 27th, 2004, 09:22 PM
mentally she hasn't matured yet.Disagree. She DID win four straight GS titles. See above.

She made really bad decisions, and she became tentative at the worse times. Agree. The decision making was not up to her usual standards.

Nice thing. Saw LOTS of different uses of topspin on the forehand side, and good depth and accuracy on the emergency one-handed backhands. She's lucky she wasn't facing a more talented player. Someone who painted the lines would have had her out of there in straight sets.

Black Mamba.
May 27th, 2004, 09:23 PM
This match was good for her because she will be more focused and eager to win. IMO having easy matches in early rounds can be a bad situation because it allows players the opportunity to think they are playing better than they really are, and when they play the top players in the other rounds they lose because they tend not to improve.

SJW
May 27th, 2004, 09:24 PM
ugh, that crosscourt forehand, that shot breaks down like a cheap car at times.

the positive from this match is the fight and desire is still there. that, along with her A game, is a winning formula

bandabou
May 27th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Well....the great thing is that after she went down 2-4 in the third, she suddenly found the range again and was really consistent again....

Volcana
May 27th, 2004, 09:26 PM
ugh, that crosscourt forehand, that shot breaks down like a cheap car at times.

the positive from this match is the fight and desire is still there. that, along with her A game, is a winning formula
She won WITHOUT her 'A' game. That's a positive too, though one I hope she doesn't rely on.

bandabou
May 27th, 2004, 09:27 PM
But there was some pretty good anticipation by her part as well....shots just werenīt falling....plus it ainīt like she was losing serve as hell either...just three or four times?!

Cariaoke
May 27th, 2004, 09:31 PM
She didn't play well. It's as simple as that.

She couldn't find the court even if she was given a GPS locator. :tape:

A good 3 set match is what she needed to gain her focus. She better stay on that practice court all day tomorrow, like she promised she would.

tennisIlove09
May 27th, 2004, 09:32 PM
I didn't see the match...but she did have more winners than UFE

Nobody's Perfecc
May 27th, 2004, 09:37 PM
I'm really unhappy about the way Serena is playing right now. I'm happy that she fought her way back to win the match, but she was playing some really bad tennis at times. She was being wrong footed, her forehand let her down, and it looked that she didn't really have a strategy out there. I just have a feeling that she thought it will be a cakewalk to the third round. Obviously now, with the tough win her opponent she should be more focused in the next round.

Watching the match on TV, Mary Carillo planted some seeds in my mind. Thoughts of Serena going to Cannes, hanging out with big movie stars, the week before the French Open started to run through my head. And she was right; if Serena lost the match she would have had to answer to a lot of questions. About her priorities, was it a lack of preparation, did your opponent "bring it", and so forth. Speaking of which, I need to read the interviews. :D I need to cut this post short, otherwise I would have gone on and on about the match. In the end, I'm just happy she won.

Volcana
May 27th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Kirilenko didn't hit many winners, but she hit hard, and she really extended the rallies. About halfway through the 2nd set she began blocking more of Serena's shots than hammering them, and I think fatigue wonthe day at 2-4. She had some bad DFs. You could argue Serena didn't so much raise her level as Kirilenko lost it. Serena kept the pressure on, DGMW, but she wasn't at all sharp.

She was being wrong footed ... and it looked that she didn't really have a strategy out there.
Give credit to Kirilenko here. She was doing a good job of disguising where she'd hit. As for Serena not having a strategy, Serena gets aways with beating people by putting them under extreme pressure. Hit hits hard, really near the lines, and these days varies height well. It took a LONG time for Kirilenko to crack.