PDA

View Full Version : The French crowd is very respectful of Venus

Eurotennisfan
May 27th, 2004, 08:12 PM
I have noticed in Venus' last couple matches that the French seem to have a real respect for her attitude and game. :worship: :worship:

Helen Lawson
May 27th, 2004, 08:15 PM
I hope it lasts, but somehow I see that ending in about 36 hours. They might blame Mary is she loses though and turn on her. Who knows. If Venus makes it past Mary, she might be fine.

Eurotennisfan
May 27th, 2004, 08:23 PM
I hope it lasts, but somehow I see that ending in about 36 hours. They might blame Mary is she loses though and turn on her. Who knows. If Venus makes it past Mary, she might be fine.

Yes, we will see what happens against Mary. You are right!

tennisIlove09
May 27th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Again, I think the boos related to Serena are from last year.

They'll be for Pierce, but they won't boo Venus.

Helen Lawson
May 27th, 2004, 08:31 PM
For all of the complaints, they turn just as quickly on their own. They have been pretty cruel to Mary over the years. If Venus wipes her out, they might blame Mary for being out of shape and too old, etc. If Venus and Mary play it close but Venus wins, then Mary choked, is a head case, and they blame Mary for letting them down. If Mary wins, then it does not really anymore for Venus anyway. Actually, now that I think about it, Venus has good chances to get through this match with no booing (or am I kidding myself)?

7~ŒLêV3ñ½
May 27th, 2004, 08:33 PM
everyone have respect for ms Venus actually,:hearts: especially the number 1 in the world. :p ...

"Topaz"
May 27th, 2004, 08:40 PM
The French like "haute couture". With a dress like what Venus had on today, which French would dare boo her? ;)
She commands reverence. Yet, somehow, I don't think the player across the net gives a hoot. It's all business, baby.

WF4EVER
May 28th, 2004, 02:06 AM
Venus seems to carry an air of 'je ne sais quoi' about her. I was watching her after the match. After shaking Kostanic's hand today she went today the chair umpire like she was walking onto a stage; not off, and when she does her wave-and-twirl routine you'd swear she'd just won an Oscar.

Venus has an air of (ok i got it) grace and class that is unmatched by any other player on the tour. She treats every crowd like they're the royal family and some of them actually appreciate her and treat her like she's the Queen. Venus just carries herself with such authority that they can't help but respect her. The arrogance that once defined Venus is gone, replaced by a young woman most parents could be proud of.

1jackson2001
May 28th, 2004, 03:12 AM
Venus is just Venus. :)

Volcana
May 28th, 2004, 03:17 AM
This may seem a little odd, but Venus' losses to Serena, and her troubles coming back from injury this winter, may have HELPED her with the crowds. Venus and Serena both seemed super-human to people. Serena still does. Venus struggled coming back from injury. Serena win Miami.

I think Venus has become more accessible to some people. They empathize with her struggles. Serena doesn't struggle. She loses sometimes, but she still the winningest active player, and the one with seemingly the most outside interests.

Or, and I'm sure there will be wide agreement on this, I'm just full of hot air.:)

1jackson2001
May 28th, 2004, 03:37 AM
No, I agree with you Volcana. :)

Eurotennisfan
May 28th, 2004, 03:45 AM
I agree with Volcana (just not about the "most winningest player part" ;).

Chance
May 28th, 2004, 06:33 AM
don't be surprised when they boo Venus when she plays against Mary.

servenrichie
May 28th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Venus seems to carry an air of 'je ne sais quoi' about her. I was watching her after the match. After shaking Kostanic's hand today she went today the chair umpire like she was walking onto a stage; not off, and when she does her wave-and-twirl routine you'd swear she'd just won an Oscar.

Venus has an air of (ok i got it) grace and class that is unmatched by any other player on the tour. She treats every crowd like they're the royal family and some of them actually appreciate her and treat her like she's the Queen. Venus just carries herself with such authority that they can't help but respect her. The arrogance that once defined Venus is gone, replaced by a young woman most parents could be proud of.:worship: :worship:

tfannis
May 28th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Again...Serena made the "Look I'm French, I just wanna make clothes" comment last year and it was then already an issue whether the French crowd would boo her or not, before RG started. It might still be in the back of their head.

Venus on the other hand is a classy lady, with classy comments at the press conferences...

~ The Leopard ~
May 28th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Volcana makes sense here.

"Sluggy"
May 28th, 2004, 08:31 AM
She and her sister attract huge crowds during their practice sessions. perhaps only Coria and Safin attract as many people at RG.

Rollo
May 28th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Volcana said it for the most part. Venus is no longer seen as #1, so she gets treated differently be the crowd. That's happened to every former #1 I can think of. And remember she still hasn't won the French.

Venus has a touch of class about her too. Serena comes across as flashy-tacky-trashy, both in how she acts and dresses. But the main reason she gets booed is people are sick of seeing her win slams. She could be Little Miss Serena Sunshine in long sleeves out there and the crowd would still be against her.

So Serena fans should be happy she is still cheered against. It means she's on top baby.

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Hmmm...crowds are really funny. When you lose it ain´t good, when you win it ain´t good either...what is one supposed to do then?!

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Plus talking about trashy....Serena isn´t trashy....have seen Venus wear more revealing outfits than Serena. It´s just that Serena is soooooo boombastic that everything gets ultra-huge..

esta
May 28th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Plus talking about trashy....Serena isn´t trashy....have seen Venus wear more revealing outfits than Serena. It´s just that Serena is soooooo boombastic that everything gets ultra-huge..

Bandabou, why is it that you always have to compare Serena to Venus? Is Venus the only other player on the tour? I am sure there are other players' (e.g Bethanie Mattek?) outfits you could have compared hers to.

I have noticed that you ALWAYS try to put Venus down just to make Serena look good. It's always .......Serena's forehand is better, Serena's return is better, Serena's serve is better, Serena would have killed this opponent, yet Venus is struggling against her, Serena this, Serena that etc etc.

I know you love Serena dearly, and you can praise and admire her as much as you want, BUT please leave Venus alone.

Nicoleke
May 28th, 2004, 12:33 PM
don't be surprised when they boo Venus when she plays against Mary.
I don' t think that Vénus Williams will be boo against Mary Pierce. I think that french people really like Vénus Williams. And, that' s right, Tennis Power, we love " haute couture " and with a dress like that, we can' t boo her lol ;) !!!!!

The Crow
May 28th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Hmmm...crowds are really funny. When you lose it ain´t good, when you win it ain´t good either...what is one supposed to do then?! Why do you always try to rationalize a crowd's behavior. There is nothing rational about a crowd. They'll boo a player for the same reason they cheer another. That's just the way it is.

turt
Hmmm...crowds are really funny. When you lose it ain´t good, when you win it ain´t good either...what is one supposed to do then?!
Well you made a point here!

Cheering for a player is NOT a matter of that player winning or losing. Maybe it's hard to understand for you but there are other stuff that matter most than that :tape:

bandabou
Bandabou, why is it that you always have to compare Serena to Venus? Is Venus the only other player on the tour? I am sure there are other players' (e.g Bethanie Mattek?) outfits you could have compared hers to.

I have noticed that you ALWAYS try to put Venus down just to make Serena look good. It's always .......Serena's forehand is better, Serena's return is better, Serena's serve is better, Serena would have killed this opponent, yet Venus is struggling against her, Serena this, Serena that etc etc.

I know you love Serena dearly, and you can praise and admire her as much as you want, BUT please leave Venus alone.

Not at all...someone said Venus is all class and Serena is trashy....just had to point it out. I love both btw..

volta
May 28th, 2004, 12:38 PM
I have noticed in Venus' last couple matches that the French seem to have a real respect for her attitude and game. :worship: :worship:
yeah i think that besides French players Venus is the one with more respect. but that will change next match against Mary IMO

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Well you made a point here!

Cheering for a player is NOT a matter of that player winning or losing. Maybe it's hard to understand for you but there are other stuff that matter most than that :tape:

Then point it out to me then?!

DA FOREHAND
May 28th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Not at all...someone said Venus is all class and Serena is trashy....just had to point it out. I love both btw..
Venus is all class...and Serena is ...Serena

Even in the DVD they have out 6/7 yr old Serena is caught by the camera shaking her ass...it was funny as hell..and a lil insite into her blossoming errr. personality.

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Why do you always try to rationalize a crowd's behavior. There is nothing rational about a crowd. They'll boo a player for the same reason they cheer another. That's just the way it is.

It´s just annoying...

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Venus is all class...and Serena is ...Serena

Even in the DVD they have out 6/7 yr old Serena is caught by the camera shaking her ass...it was funny as hell..and a lil insite into her blossoming errr. personality.

:lol:

Nicoleke
May 28th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Again...Serena made the "Look I'm French, I just wanna make clothes" comment last year and it was then already an issue whether the French crowd would boo her or not, before RG started. It might still be in the back of their head.

Venus on the other hand is a classy lady, with classy comments at the press conferences...
I totally agree with you, Vénus Williams is a way more classy than her sister. Maybe that french crowd don' t like the " I'm a killer, I'm the best " attitude of Séréna Williams.

Infiniti2001
May 28th, 2004, 12:41 PM

Let it go my dear
:tape:

turt
May 28th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Then point it out to me then?!Well, there are reasons such as: preference for a player's gamestyle, or personality, or if the player is physically attractive (maybe not the more relevant), or if you like how the player acts on court, and such things...

Now, everyone has its own perception. I like sparkling water because it sparkles. A friend of mine HATES sparkling water because it... sparkles!

You can't please everyone...

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 12:47 PM
I totally agree with you, Vénus Williams is a way more classy than her sister. Maybe that french crowd don' t like the " I'm a killer, I'm the best " attitude of Séréna Williams.

All excuses, all excuses...she may have the attitude, but she sure plays like it no?! No...they wanna chear for OVERHYPED white players who will NEVER achieve as much as Serena has.. you gotta respect somebody who walks the talk.

She may talk a lot, but she backs it all up! Remember her saying back in ´01: Playing time is over...next year the real Serena is gonna show up.

SJW
May 28th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Venus is more like the other players

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Well, there are reasons such as: preference for a player's gamestyle, or personality, or if the player is physically attractive (maybe not the more relevant), or if you like how the player acts on court, and such things...

Now, everyone has its own perception. I like sparkling water because it sparkles. A friend of mine HATES sparkling water because it... sparkles!

You can't please everyone...

O.k..so the majority of the crowd yesterday saw NOTHING good in Serena nor her game?! Wow....

turt
May 28th, 2004, 12:54 PM
O.k..so the majority of the crowd yesterday saw NOTHING good in Serena nor her game?! Wow....
hey, how can you jump to this conclusion based on what I said? :confused:

All I said is that you can't be loved by everyone. Some people will hate you for the same reasons other people consider you as a god(dess).

You may not like it, but that's the way it is

arn
May 28th, 2004, 12:55 PM
if a player is saying a thousand times; I'm the best, I'm the best, I will win, nobody can stop me, etc... there are lots of people who would be more than happy to see that person fall, even if that player backs up her results. In that sense the french crowd does everything to help the player who plays against Serena.

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 12:56 PM
hey, how can you jump to this conclusion based on what I said? :confused:

All I said is that you can't be loved by everyone. Some people will hate you for the same reasons other people consider you as a god(dess).

You may not like it, but that's the way it is

Of course, but the majority of the crowd booed her....you don´t boo someone you like, so I guess the crowd didn´t like her yesterday....but alas...

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 12:57 PM
if a player is saying a thousand times; I'm the best, I'm the best, I will win, nobody can stop me, etc... there are lots of people who would be more than happy to see that person fall, even if that player backs up her results. In that sense the french crowd does everything to help the player who plays against Serena.

Uhmmm...and then what about la Steffi?!

turt
May 28th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Of course, but the majority of the crowd booed her....you don´t boo someone you like, so I guess the crowd didn´t like her yesterday....but alas...
Sometimes I say to my brother how stupid and dumb he is, doesn't mean I don't like him ;)

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Sometimes I say to my brother how stupid and dumb he is, doesn't mean I don't like him ;)

O.k....so you say deep down there maayyyy be some love for Serena buried in the crowd?!

SJW
May 28th, 2004, 01:00 PM
and what do you mean by that;) she's not loud and brash- i catch your drift;) I don't know, rena is rena but this morning my man was watching highlights of serena's game and he said Serena is so ghetto..look at those earings, blah...i just shrugged off the comment and laughed and told him about the debates on this board about her *shrugs*
k.

minboy
May 28th, 2004, 01:02 PM
All excuses, all excuses...she may have the attitude, but she sure plays like it no?! No...they wanna chear for OVERHYPED white players who will NEVER achieve as much as Serena has.. you gotta respect somebody who walks the talk.

She may talk a lot, but she backs it all up! Remember her saying back in ´01: Playing time is over...next year the real Serena is gonna show up.

Tha's no excuses, just the way it is.
Doesn't matter if she backs up her attitude with results, they just don't like her attitude in the first place.

turt
May 28th, 2004, 01:04 PM
O.k....so you say deep down there maayyyy be some love for Serena buried in the crowd?!why not...

Even if there isn't, I personnally think it's better to stick to being yourself instead of doing anything to please everyone.
Because this may not make people like her, but at least they would have respect for that.
For instance I don't like Serena but I think she's a great player and even though I don't like her attitude, I still respect her.

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Tha's no excuses, just the way it is.
Doesn't matter if she backs up her attitude with results, they just don't like her attitude in the first place.

O.k...but to me that´s an excuse....if they don´t like players with attitude they have to boo all them. Period....

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 01:08 PM
why not...

Even if there isn't, I personnally think it's better to stick to being yourself instead of doing anything to please everyone.
Because this may not make people like her, but at least they would have respect for that.
For instance I don't like Serena but I think she's a great player and even though I don't like her attitude, I still respect her.

O.k...

turt
May 28th, 2004, 01:08 PM
O.k...but to me that´s an excuse....if they don´t like players with attitude they have to boo all them. Period....There's a part of irrationality in there... What's your favourite colour? why? Does it mean you like everything that has that same colour?

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 01:12 PM
There's a part of irrationality in there... What's your favourite colour? why? Does it mean you like everything that has that same colour?

In my case: yeah I do...I love everything that´s blue or black. black cars, black jeans or denims, etc..

turt
May 28th, 2004, 01:13 PM
In my case: yeah I do...I love everything that´s blue or black. black cars, black jeans or denims, etc..
What about blue cheese? :p

The Crow
May 28th, 2004, 01:13 PM
O.k...but to me that´s an excuse....if they don´t like players with attitude they have to boo all them. Period....
No they don't. As I've said, they boo one player for the same reason they cheer another one. Graf was liked by the French crowd, although she too has that winner mentality. Justine was cheered. On the other hand, Hingis was boo-ed for her cocky behavior. Same with Serena...

That doesn't mean I like it but it's just the way it is.

Plus, a crowd is only strong because it is a crowd. Put one of those people that boo-ed against Serena on court and he shit his pants. ;)

Cam'ron Giles
May 28th, 2004, 01:16 PM
My mother is an occasional tennis watcher and she caught a glimps of Serena's match on ESPN last night and she called me this morning and said what the heck is wrong with that girl...she has yet to forgive her for the catsuite...:lol: I think Serena is a bit over the top...I dont like that in your face with my sexiness attitude but that's just me...I believe that less is more...I like Venus's simple elegance...I love Rena but those shorts last night was a bit much...:lol:

SJW
May 28th, 2004, 01:18 PM
sexiness is over rated.

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 01:19 PM
No they don't. As I've said, they boo one player for the same reason they cheer another one. Graf was liked by the French crowd, although she too has that winner mentality. Justine was cheered. On the other hand, Hingis was boo-ed for her cocky behavior. Same with Serena...

That doesn't mean I like it but it's just the way it is.

Plus, a crowd is only strong because it is a crowd. Put one of those people that boo-ed against Serena on court and he shit his pants. ;)

Just doesn´t make sense.....

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 01:20 PM
My mother is an occasional tennis watcher and she caught a glimps of Serena's match on ESPN last night and she called me this morning and said what the heck is wrong with that girl...she has yet to forgive her for the catsuite...:lol: I think Serena is a bit over the top...I dont like that in your face with my sexiness attitude but that's just me...I believe that less is more...I like Venus's simple elegance...I love Rena but those shorts last night was a bit much...:lol:

And that´s the thing...maybe she doesn´t do it consciously. It´s just that her body betrays her...she´s too bootylicious for her own good.

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 01:20 PM
What about blue cheese? :p

Haven´t tried that one yet...

Paneru
May 28th, 2004, 01:21 PM

My sis had the same reaction yesterday! :lol:

SJW
May 28th, 2004, 01:22 PM
kabuke are you male or female? locked in a discussion :)

The Crow
May 28th, 2004, 01:22 PM
My mother is an occasional tennis watcher and she caught a glimps of Serena's match on ESPN last night and she called me this morning and said what the heck is wrong with that girl...she has yet to forgive her for the catsuite...:lol:
:lol:

The Crow
May 28th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Just doesn´t make sense.....
Since when does human behavior make sense? :confused:

Paneru
May 28th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Male :cool:

SJW
May 28th, 2004, 01:25 PM
ty

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Since when does human behavior make sense? :confused:

That doesn´t make sense either....:lol: I get your point. Easy to talk when your fav is always the cheared one though.

Crazy_Fool
May 28th, 2004, 01:27 PM
As a fan of tennis but neutral as far as Serena and Venus are concerned, I would have to say I can understand why the French crowd would take to Venus more than Serena. I do as well. Serena has evil in her eyes all the time on court, sure she just wants to win, but to me her actions aren't directed in the right way. Yesterday, she hit a shot which hit the top of the net and bounced over, most(if not all) players would have apologised. She just screamed come on. I have no problem with someone doing this on big points when they make a big shot(believe me, as Lletyon fan i'm used to it), but to do it on that point which was 0-0 in one game was just disrespectful.

I know people won't like it, but i've always believed Venus is much more classy to herself and opponents, and thats why I have no problem with her, and would like to see her win RG. Serena needs to be a little bit more respectful to others.

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 01:33 PM
As a fan of tennis but neutral as far as Serena and Venus are concerned, I would have to say I can understand why the French crowd would take to Venus more than Serena. I do as well. Serena has evil in her eyes all the time on court, sure she just wants to win, but to me her actions aren't directed in the right way. Yesterday, she hit a shot which hit the top of the net and bounced over, most(if not all) players would have apologised. She just screamed come on. I have no problem with someone doing this on big points when they make a big shot(believe me, as Lletyon fan i'm used to it), but to do it on that point which was 0-0 in one game was just disrespectful.

I know people won't like it, but i've always believed Venus is much more classy to herself and opponents, and thats why I have no problem with her, and would like to see her win RG. Serena needs to be a little bit more respectful to others.

:lol: loved the part of being a Lleyton-fan! The same Lleyton who was chearing and screaming come on when his opponent who just vomited hits a df?! Wow, class all the way!

and who´s that in your sign?! Respect is admiting that you raised your hand when you do so.

For the rest all Serena´s actions are directed towards herself..

The Crow
May 28th, 2004, 01:50 PM
That doesn´t make sense either....:lol: I get your point. Easy to talk when your fav is always the cheared one though.
Oh I know. But she's not always the cheared one. E.g., semi US open last year against JenCap. Or semifinal the year before in Antwerp against Kim.

But I know whta you mean. In that respect, it's more fun to be a fan of Justine than to be a fan of Serena ;)

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Oh I know. But she's not always the cheared one. E.g., semi US open last year against JenCap. Or semifinal the year before in Antwerp against Kim.

But I know whta you mean. In that respect, it's more fun to be a fan of Justine than to be a fan of Serena ;)

Life is hard..... :lol:

oddkayla
May 28th, 2004, 02:20 PM
I'm a Venus fan. I just like Serena because she is Venus' sister. I truly believe that Venus epitomises elegance on the court and her behaviour is always exemplary. She is so cool and collected even when things go against her. She has learnt to control her emotions and channel her energy. I remember watching a match, and she asked the umpire if he was sure the ball was out. She was so nice and respectful about it. The commentators laughed and said for Venus that was a temper tantrum. I think the crowd really dont have reasons too boo her on. She is just a class act that it would be almost stupid to boo her.

On the other hand, lets start with Serena's outfit. I wont even refer to be bodysuit, just this latest. It fits her badly because she has a large caboose. It is ill fitting, that is why it rides up. That is just one reason to boo. Never mind her intensity, which seems malicious at times.

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 02:27 PM
I'm a Venus fan. I just like Serena because she is Venus' sister. I truly believe that Venus epitomises elegance on the court and her behaviour is always exemplary. She is so cool and collected even when things go against her. She has learnt to control her emotions and channel her energy. I remember watching a match, and she asked the umpire if he was sure the ball was out. She was so nice and respectful about it. The commentators laughed and said for Venus that was a temper tantrum. I think the crowd really dont have reasons too boo her on. She is just a class act that it would be almost stupid to boo her.

On the other hand, lets start with Serena's outfit. I wont even refer to be bodysuit, just this latest. It fits her badly because she has a large caboose. It is ill fitting, that is why it rides up. That is just one reason to boo. Never mind her intensity, which seems malicious at times.

well.....I wonder if it this Venus is really the real Venus. I mean wasn´t it Venus who cried and stuff during a match at Wimbledon?! Venus used to have her share of tantrums too... and Serena doesn´t have tantrums. You´re gonna hate her for screaming come on?! :lol: Please!!

Agree about the outfit, could be much better....how I long to the 2001 and earlier days!

tennisIlove09
May 28th, 2004, 02:31 PM

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

And Bandabou please tell me ONE outfit that Venus looked "trashy" in. She always looks very put together, and very rarely (if ever) shows a lot of skin (unlike Serena)

tennisIlove09
May 28th, 2004, 02:33 PM
well.....I wonder if it this Venus is really the real Venus. I mean wasn´t it Venus who cried and stuff during a match at Wimbledon?! Venus used to have her share of tantrums too... and Serena doesn´t have tantrums. You´re gonna hate her for screaming come on?! :lol: Please!!

Agree about the outfit, could be much better....how I long to the 2001 and earlier days!
Venus has matured. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Crazy_Fool
May 28th, 2004, 02:33 PM
:lol: loved the part of being a Lleyton-fan! The same Lleyton who was chearing and screaming come on when his opponent who just vomited hits a df?! Wow, class all the way!

and who´s that in your sign?! Respect is admiting that you raised your hand when you do so.

For the rest all Serena´s actions are directed towards herself..
As I said on a big point, maybe its ok. If you have bothered to watch Lleyton he always apologises for most things. If someone does something once, I don't mind, as long as they don't continue to do it, then its fine. Serena does it alot. I'm not saying all the booing was right, but I do understand it.

I wonder if it this Venus is really the real Venus. I mean wasn´t it Venus who cried and stuff during a match at Wimbledon?!
Crying is not disrespecting the opposition is it :confused:

DA FOREHAND
May 28th, 2004, 02:34 PM

And Bandabou please tell me ONE outfit that Venus looked "trashy" in. She always looks very put together, and very rarely (if ever) shows a lot of skin (unlike Serena)
lol

YOU praise someone for taking him to task for comparing the two and then you turn around and compare them....I've enjoyed all of Venus' outfits, especially this century,yes even the slash top 01 A.O.

SJW
May 28th, 2004, 02:34 PM
just to point out...bandabou didn't bring Serena into this thread :)

tennisIlove09
May 28th, 2004, 02:37 PM
lol

YOU praise someone for taking him to task for comparing the two and then you turn around and compare them....I've enjoyed all of Venus' outfits, especially this century,yes even the slash top 01 A.O.Good point :p but I feel like I have to defend Venus to him.

catkey94
May 28th, 2004, 02:43 PM
I just think that more people can relate to Venus than they can Serena. Venus is so down to earth and respectful. She lets you see that she is a human being with real feelings. She's friendly and polite, and people respond to that.

Serena on the other hand has the larger than life persona thing going on. She is more in your face. She thinks she's the best, and has no problem telling people that. Everything she does shouts look at me from her wearing tight clothes on the court to her off court activities. Many people get turned off by the "In your face" persona.

I think its all up to personal preference. Some people love Serena because she is so ghetto fabulous. While others love Venus' quiet, refined demeanor.

But in France, I don't think the ghetto fabulous thing is very popular. They probably just relate better to Venus.

DA FOREHAND
May 28th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Good point :p but I feel like I have to defend Venus to him.
It's a personality thing...I like Venus because she's in your face w/out being in your space. :angel:

DA FOREHAND
May 28th, 2004, 02:45 PM
I just think that more people can relate to Venus than they can Serena. Venus is so down to earth and respectful. She lets you see that she is a human being with real feelings. She's friendly and polite, and people respond to that.

Serena on the other hand has the larger than life persona thing going on. She is more in your face. She thinks she's the best, and has no problem telling people that. Everything she does shouts look at me from her wearing tight clothes on the court to her off court activities. Many people get turned off by the "In your face" persona.

I think its all up to personal preference. Some people love Serena because she is so ghetto fabulous. While others love Venus' quiet, refined demeanor.

But in France, I don't think the ghetto fabulous thing is very popular. They probably just relate better to Venus.
Venus will tell you she's the best too.....if you ask.

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 03:15 PM
As I said on a big point, maybe its ok. If you have bothered to watch Lleyton he always apologises for most things. If someone does something once, I don't mind, as long as they don't continue to do it, then its fine. Serena does it alot. I'm not saying all the booing was right, but I do understand it.

Crying is not disrespecting the opposition is it :confused:

Lleyton is the KING of come on´s after df´s and you wanna take offense to Serena?! Get a grip on yourself will ya?! And you wisely chosed not anwer the Juju-part..

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 03:17 PM

Uhmm....Oz open´01, more skin than Serena´s ever shown...in fact Serena dresses tight clothing, while Venus SHOWS skin....Wimbledon´00 and U.S. open ´00,etc...those weren´t exactly clothes that one wears when one is in a convention.

WF4EVER
May 28th, 2004, 03:20 PM

Bandabou, this is what's called maturity. Venus has matured as a person and as a player. When a person realizes the error of her ways and makes a concerted effort to change or (to use Serena's word) ameliorate that, then she has matured.

Now I'm not saying that Serena is not mature but that certainly explains why Venus 'used to be' that way.

As far as Serena's outfits are concerned, we all know that Serena is a very flamboyant, extravagant, extroverted person, but in the name of common decency I think she could tone it down a bit. The catsuit while it suited her beautifully toned and shaped body was not suitable for the tennis court, and while I like her current two-piece I think her mid-riff should be less exposed in the name of common decency on the court. There's no doubt that Serena is a very beautifully endowed woman but she doesn't have to keep ramming it down the public's throat. Whatever happened to leaving more to the imagination.

A few years ago Venus was wearing that halter dress which was daring but which fit her in a classy way because her body is not as in-your-face as Serena's is. With an ass that size you needn't wear the shortest and tightest shorts with your navel ring showing. You know what I mean?

I loved Venus' peekabo at the AO in 2001 but I preferred it after she adjusted the 'peek' because it was a gorgeous outfit and the colour suited her well.

I just think that taking some of your respectability on the court in your manner and your presentation earns you a certain amount of respect. After all respect is earned not demanded.

tennisIlove09
May 28th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Uhmm....Oz open´01, more skin than Serena´s ever shown...in fact Serena dresses tight clothing, while Venus SHOWS skin....Wimbledon´00 and U.S. open ´00,etc...those weren´t exactly clothes that one wears when one is in a convention.
It's one thing to reveal your back (because that's the part that was cut out of Vee's dress). It's another thing to wear a catsuit and the current shots Serena wears.

I think we should just end this now.

WF4EVER
May 28th, 2004, 03:27 PM
On another note, some of us like, Venus some like Serena, some like both evenly and others one more than the other.

I don't care so much for solidarity among Williams fans as I do for respect between Williams fans. Because Venus and Serena are sisters it's hard for me to not have a certain soft spot for her sister. I really wish tho that people would stop putting down one sister to lift the other up; it's just distasteful. They are both unique indivisuals in their own right and I think should be treated as such.

I tell you Venus and Serena will not be separated by slam titles nor over-eager fans so unless we're not seriously bored human beings this kind of behaviour is just totally pointless.

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 03:31 PM
It's one thing to reveal your back (because that's the part that was cut out of Vee's dress). It's another thing to wear a catsuit and the current shots Serena wears.

I think we should just end this now.

the same thing, the same thing.....if Serena wouldn´t be so stacked, no one would be talking about nada...

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Bandabou, this is what's called maturity. Venus has matured as a person and as a player. When a person realizes the error of her ways and makes a concerted effort to change or (to use Serena's word) ameliorate that, then she has matured.

Now I'm not saying that Serena is not mature but that certainly explains why Venus 'used to be' that way.

As far as Serena's outfits are concerned, we all know that Serena is a very flamboyant, extravagant, extroverted person, but in the name of common decency I think she could tone it down a bit. The catsuit while it suited her beautifully toned and shaped body was not suitable for the tennis court, and while I like her current two-piece I think her mid-riff should be less exposed in the name of common decency on the court. There's no doubt that Serena is a very beautifully endowed woman but she doesn't have to keep ramming it down the public's throat. Whatever happened to leaving more to the imagination.

A few years ago Venus was wearing that halter dress which was daring but which fit her in a classy way because her body is not as in-your-face as Serena's is. With an ass that size you needn't wear the shortest and tightest shorts with your navel ring showing. You know what I mean?

I loved Venus' peekabo at the AO in 2001 but I preferred it after she adjusted the 'peek' because it was a gorgeous outfit and the colour suited her well.

I just think that taking some of your respectability on the court in your manner and your presentation earns you a certain amount of respect. After all respect is earned not demanded.

No, showing your boobs does belong on the court...I got it. Sorry Vee, but some of your fans are forcing me to do this....Serena´s tight and all, but she DID not show as much skin as Venus has done over her career. Now it´s you who has to choice your poison: form-fitting or showing skin?1

Crazy_Fool
May 28th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Lleyton is the KING of come on´s after df´s and you wanna take offense to Serena?! Get a grip on yourself will ya?! And you wisely chosed not anwer the Juju-part..
Not when the game is 0-0, how many times do I have to explain!!!!!! Yes Lleyton does say Come on on BIG POINT. Federer does it, Ferrero does it, Roddick does it, they don't do it when they mishit a shot, or hit the net and it bounces over!!!!!

I'm not mentioning Justine, as there is no need to go over old ground. She made a mistake, Serena just keep doing it all the time.

tennisIlove09
May 28th, 2004, 03:38 PM
no one is forcing you to do anything. You choose to reply.

minboy
May 28th, 2004, 03:45 PM

It's not like Lleyton is the parisian crowd's darling neither. He got booed last year when he smashed on-court flowers with his racket, and he was very severly booed at the Paris master series in 2002 when facing Schrichapan.

Knizzle
May 28th, 2004, 03:48 PM
I can't believe there is an argument about how much skin Venus and Serena show.

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Not when the game is 0-0, how many times do I have to explain!!!!!! Yes Lleyton does say Come on on BIG POINT. Federer does it, Ferrero does it, Roddick does it, they don't do it when they mishit a shot, or hit the net and it bounces over!!!!!

I'm not mentioning Justine, as there is no need to go over old ground. She made a mistake, Serena just keep doing it all the time.

Excuse me....but when you´re down 2-4 in the third-set EVERY point is big... otherwise there wouldn´t have been the "hand"-question, no?!

SJW
May 28th, 2004, 03:50 PM
they don't do it when they mishit a shot, or hit the net and it bounces over!!!!!
OMG do we watch the same Lleyton :eek:

he's one of the major offenders for saying "CMON" on an error :tape:

The Crow
May 28th, 2004, 03:51 PM
I can't believe there is an argument about how much skin Venus and Serena show.
It is indeed becoming a bit of a ridiculous thread.

Chance
May 28th, 2004, 03:53 PM
how did this thread turn into a Venus vs Serena thread?

you guys are fooling yourself if you don't think Venus isn't going to be booed. The French crowd has booed numerous players over the years including their own- Venus won't be exempted from it.

I hate them, but the playersare professionals and need to find a way to block the morons out.

SJW
May 28th, 2004, 03:55 PM
gawd, this is getting fucking insane.

there should be a ban for any member who mentions Serena in a Venus thread or vice versa. it's silly. thx

ico4498
May 28th, 2004, 04:03 PM
lol ... this is just too rich!

some Venus fans have actually bought into the silly notion that the French boo Serena for her fashion sense (or lack of it) ...

harloo
May 30th, 2004, 06:41 AM
Serena is a pit bull in a skirt like Eve and she is bold, brash, and has the best personality on the WTA regardless of if you hate her or love her. Of course Serena's personality is too strong for simple minded people who feel a certain type of decorum is a necessity in tennis. Some hate Serena, but constantly talk about her which is hilarious.

Let's not fool ourselves, if the Queen meets up with Mauresmo in the finals you will hear some boos. Venus will not yell, and say cmon every point, but she will give you a mean look. She is regal, but from the many matches I have taped she has been booed even in her home country, and not to mention belgium against Kim. She knows how to deal with it better than Serena. But Serena needs to learn how to deal with it because her personality offends some people who IMO are kind of stuffy.