PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever booed a player at a tennis match??

DelMonte
May 27th, 2004, 08:02 PM
If yes, under what circumstances was it? I am just curious.

V-MAC
May 27th, 2004, 08:05 PM
I haven't but if i was at a Vera Zvonerava match,i'd boo her if she was crying(very possible she would be) and tell her to grow up.:(

selesfan
May 27th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Nope, never!

DelMonte
May 27th, 2004, 08:07 PM
I'm sure someone who likes tennis enough to come to a tennis messageboard has never booed a player.

I'd like to think so but I just don't know. Do you think I am asking an inappropiate question?

Martian Willow
I'm sure someone who likes tennis enough to come to a tennis messageboard has never booed a player.

...you don't have to like tennis much to come to this tennis message board, apparently... :)

per4ever
yeah... patty in Antwerp :o She was soo pissed off by her loss in the semi's against Justine (two years ago)..and she raised her midfinger to the audience.

But Patty is one of my favourite players, but that was just something she didn't have to do ;)

Mase
I did, this yr at Charleston. I boo'ed Patty for her Conchi BS. And I stick by my boo'ing. :lol:

GermanBoy
May 27th, 2004, 08:09 PM
I booed at Mase when I beat him 6/0, 6/0 last time we met each other on the tennis court... :devil: And I would do it again and again... :kiss:

The Crow
yeah... patty in Antwerp :o She was soo pissed off by her loss in the semi's against Justine (two years ago)..and she raised her midfinger to the audience.

But Patty is one of my favourite players, but that was just something she didn't have to do ;)
lol, did she raise her middle finger? I don't remember lol :o I don't remember if I took part in the boo-ing either? :confused: :o

Dava
I have never booed a player, but then I dont think Ive ever been in a tournament where someone has done something which constituted booing (bar Samantha Stevenson stealing my chair, but shes not a player).

-Sonic-
May 27th, 2004, 08:11 PM
I have - and I love tennis. Doesn't mean I love it when players are complete twats.

I didn't boo, but was making loud disapproving noises along with many others at conchita at eastbourne last year when she was abusing one of the ball kids, completely embarassing the kid for no reason at all. Can't remember which round it was.

No different to if someone's harassing someone on the street.

Meesh
May 27th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Nope, never. I did get a dirty look from Aniko Kapro's dad for clapping at Molik's winner at a tourney. He was sitting next to me. After that I kept my hands to myself.

* I don't clap/cheer for double faults or errors! That's a pet peeve of mine.

~VaMoS~ArAnTxA~
May 27th, 2004, 11:04 PM
I never really did it, because it is very rude for the players... But I was very close to boo Maureen Drake at the Challenge Bell in Quebec City last year against Milagros Sequera. Her attitude was just making me angry :fiery: ... Even if she's Canadian, I was feeling like doing it but I just didn't...by respect.

selesfan87
May 27th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Yes. Sadly so. Dokic v Baltcha. A Dokic double.

volta
May 27th, 2004, 11:05 PM
i never did it. i think itīs a matter of respect but hey itīs my opinion.

hingis-seles
May 27th, 2004, 11:06 PM
I booed. It was so much fun. :bounce:

j_dementieva27
May 27th, 2004, 11:11 PM
lol.. i actually have booed, and surprisingly enough, it was at a vera zvonareva match at the 2003 us open vs. harkleroad... the entire crowd booed her loudly when she hit the ball in her skirt hard on the surface and almost hit a linesmen... also she revcieved more boos when she snatched a ball pretty wickedly and almost hit him too

Andrew.
May 27th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Yes. Many times.

Yonge
May 27th, 2004, 11:55 PM
I was *this* close to booing Hantuchova in Toronto last year because it was obvious she gave up too early and eventually lost the match. I decided to cheer for her opponent instead (Paola Suarez).

anabel
May 27th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Yes :o

Seles in Fed Cup'98 against Conchita.

In fact i think she though she was playing in hell cause she had all Madrid against her lol

Martian KC
May 27th, 2004, 11:59 PM
I was wondering if taunting is acceptable.:o

flyingmachine
May 28th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Nope

Rocketta
May 28th, 2004, 12:05 AM
No, I haven't I don't know if there would be anything that a player could do to get me to boo but maybe I would I guess. :scratch:

I didn't even boo at the Patty/Conchita match at Charleston this year.. I did however laugh so hard I almost fell out of my chair. :o It was just so funny! When she pulled her hand back the crowd's reaction, Patty walking off with her head held high, everyone booing, Patty's fans still cheering with all their hearts for her...It was interesting. :hehehe:

faste5683
May 28th, 2004, 12:40 AM
No, but I don't give bad rep points either. I used to boo Michael Jordon when he would come to Atlanta and kill the Hawks; then again, EVERYBODY who comes to Atlanta kills the Hawks. I guess I picked on M.J. 'cause I figured he could handle it...

:wavey:

Berlin_Calling
May 28th, 2004, 12:43 AM
nope. I thought it was hilarious when Patty had a temper tantrum against Daniela in New Haven in 2002 and smashed a ball into the crowd almost taking a screaming woman's head off. Patty was almost DQed from the match :o

Philbo
May 28th, 2004, 12:55 AM
I once did in the 2000 or 2001 Adidas International Final between Hingis and Davenport.. It was about 5-5 in the 3rd set, Hingis got a call she didnt like and came to the net and argued it.. That was fine..but about 30 seconds later she was still just standing a tthe net... Now I was still fuming about Hingis calling Mauresomo half a man a year or two earlier, so I started booing her to get her to go back and just keep playing... half the crowd took my queue and booed as well and Hings promptly went back and continued playing...FYI Hings ended up winning...

croat123
May 28th, 2004, 12:57 AM
yes, against norman in the finals of umag. it was 4-4 and tarango hit a serve about 2 feet long and norman knew it was out but played it anyways and then pointed to another mark when tarango complained. that was bp for norman btw and he served out the match then...

- L i n a -
May 28th, 2004, 12:59 AM
I booed Bovina at US Open, and in Toronto... even when she was winning.

Girl needs some tough love.

Plus, BOOOOOO BOOOVINA rolls off the tongue.

Venus Forever
May 28th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Never booed a player, but booed some linesmen.

It was the Clijsters vs. Dementieva match at the Chase Championships in 2000. It was the third set, and I belive, if I remember correctly, that Dementieva hit a ball that looked clearly long from my point of view, and many others point of view, yet it was called in. Mind you, we were sitting on the line, so we saw it clearly. I don't know if it was break point for Kim or something, but it was a very tight third set, and it was towards the middle of it, something like 3-3, and Dementieva went on to win 6-4 in the third.

beauty_is_pink
May 28th, 2004, 01:22 AM
not out loud realli.

Celeste
May 28th, 2004, 01:25 AM
I booed Petty Patty hard when she refused to shake Conchita's hand at Charleston. What a psycho-bitch. I stand by my actions, though I never thought I would be the type to boo a player. The match was over, though. 90% of the crowd was booing her in my recollection. Then when Petty Patty waves to the crowd like she won or something, I just booed her worse. My emotions really got the better of me, I probably would have hit Petty Patty had I been close to her, I never felt that way before. Luckily I was in the second tier so Petty Patty was nowhere near me. That girl has major mental problems. The way Conchita skunked her good and the whole Petty Patty acting out the whole match with hiding balls, the match went the full and complete distance despite a pretty routine score, in retrospect. Plus, I like Conchita and felt Petty Patty had really acted unsportsman like. I have new respect for Conchita, too, she really toyed with Petty Patty and fucked her good mentally, you have to respect a player for being able to do that. Conchita knew a fuck-job like that wouldn't work with Venus or Nadia Petrova, so her routine was far less exaggerated with them. Conchita knows what's she's doing (well, maybe not today against Dullo, lol).

The sad part is, I really liked Petty Patty before that, even howling at how she so easily beat Elena Dementieva, who has a total tude, the day before. But now, she will always be, to me, Petty Patty. I don't think I would have booed anyone when they were actually playing, though, at least I would like to think so. Petty Patty merited the boos by her own action.

GoDominique
May 28th, 2004, 01:32 AM
I booed Kiefer. Sadly not as loud as I should have. :(

Vincent
May 28th, 2004, 01:49 AM
I never booed a player before, , but I booed that umpire and lineswomen, they are blind, the ball was 6-7 cm out and they just sat there and wait..:retard:

Vincent
May 28th, 2004, 01:50 AM
Never booed a player, but booed some linesmen.

It was the Clijsters vs. Dementieva match at the Chase Championships in 2000. It was the third set, and I belive, if I remember correctly, that Dementieva hit a ball that looked clearly long from my point of view, and many others point of view, yet it was called in. Mind you, we were sitting on the line, so we saw it clearly. I don't know if it was break point for Kim or something, but it was a very tight third set, and it was towards the middle of it, something like 3-3, and Dementieva went on to win 6-4 in the third.My experience was about Dementieva too. :o

Crazy Canuck
May 28th, 2004, 02:05 AM
I really wanted to boo both Roddick and Lapentti in Toronto a couple of years ago for being such losers. But they were proving me with so much entertainment that I just couldn't do it.

sarza
May 28th, 2004, 10:02 AM
nope i have never booed a player im way too nice :lol:

SpikeyAidanm
May 28th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Me and my Dad have a passion of booing linesmen, we're cruel i know... :awww:

natacha1
May 28th, 2004, 10:47 AM
I booed one time against Sharapova in Ciney, but just a second and trust me, I regretted it immediantly!
She was playing against Justine and she losted !!! But they where playing the final, after Sharapova went off angry and never came back for the price.
The organisators, Justine, Momo and Dechy (they also got a price for being thirth and fourt where waithing the whole time.
And then someone came to tell that Sharapove was not comming, he joked by saying that she was allready washing her hair.
We thought it was really childish!!

Cersei
May 28th, 2004, 10:48 AM
nope never. not even Patty in Antwerp :lol:

Vass22
May 28th, 2004, 10:49 AM
I booed linesmen, along with the rest of the tennis studium ones. It was impossible not to boo when a ball was called out when it was such a nice winner, right in the corner

The Crow
May 28th, 2004, 11:01 AM
So, I guess booing isn't that extra-ordinary as you thought Delmonte ;)

turt
May 28th, 2004, 11:07 AM
I've booed Kim Clijsters this year at the Proximus Diamond Games after the final... ;)

Actually I wasn't exactly "booing" Kim, I was responding to applauses from the majority of the crowd when Kim made this "well, I had a cold but I played anyway" comment, which was seen as a direct attack to Justine's withdrawal...
Kim said afterwards that she didn't meant that, but anyway that's what the crowd understood ;)

DelMonte
May 28th, 2004, 11:09 AM

no, i didn't think it was extraordinary at all. apart from wimby, all the tournaments i have been to have had some booing. but some people have said that those who boo are individuals who don't know much about tennis and its etiquettes etc (ie rowdy fans etc) and i just wanted to see whether that was true or not. obviously not.

Scotso
May 28th, 2004, 11:12 AM
I booed that asshole Frederico Luzzi at a futures event. What an arrogant prick! He yelled at the poor cameraman taking photos of him for the paper. Whenever he made a mistake, it was the cameraman, the umpire, or the crowd's fault.

DelMonte
May 28th, 2004, 11:15 AM

i suppose more than anything i wanted to find out the reasons why people boo players; that's what i am really interested in.

Scotso
May 28th, 2004, 11:21 AM
I think people are right in saying that not booing players is a matter of respect. That's why I only boo people I have none for ;)

arn
May 28th, 2004, 11:22 AM
It seems like Patty is the most booed player :o I have to say it's the only player I booed, also in Antwerp, but she totally deserved it ;)

Come-on-kim
May 28th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Patty Schynder in Antwerp

The Crow
May 28th, 2004, 11:41 AM
i suppose more than anything i wanted to find out the reasons why people boo players; that's what i am really interested in.
IMO, it's more fun if you get involved in matches. This means cheering for good points and booing when a player does something that pisses you off (at the time) ;) If I would play, I'd rather have people booing me than shhowing no emotion whatsoever (I think ;))

DelMonte
May 28th, 2004, 11:45 AM
IMO, it's more fun if you get involved in matches. This means cheering for good points and booing when a player does something that pisses you off (at the time) ;) If I would play, I'd rather have people booing me than shhowing no emotion whatsoever (I think ;))

what about booing errors, double faults etc. do the same rules apply?

The Crow
May 28th, 2004, 11:50 AM
what about booing errors, double faults etc. do the same rules apply?
Well you have to realize it's a crowd. And crowds are per definition subjective, arrogant and stupid. So once I'd get over the initial shock I'd probably want to teach that crowd a lesson, i.e., win the match ;)

Now this is of course all purely speculation, cause I can't really imagine how it feels to play a game of tennis in front of thousands ;)

DelMonte
May 28th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Well you have to realize it's a crowd. And crowds are per definition subjective, arrogant and stupid. So once I'd get over the initial shock I'd probably want to teach that crowd a lesson, i.e., win the match ;)

Now this is of course all purely speculation, cause I can't really imagine how it feels to play a game of tennis in front of thousands ;)

winning is indeed the best reponse.

timray
Dec 13th, 2005, 05:31 PM
No

Allez Joosteen
Dec 13th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Yes I have. She was English and that's what you're supposed to do to English players. :angel:

A'DAM
Dec 13th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Yes Anastassia Rodionova in a match against Denisa Chladkova during J&S Quali 2005. My God she did behave like a crazy spolied B**** She recived two warnings, by the way, from Chair umpire... :rolleyes:

timafi
Dec 13th, 2005, 05:43 PM
this year's fed cup finale that goddamn umpire and those fucking calls against Mauresmo :fiery: :fiery: