PDA

View Full Version : why this booing again?!

bandabou
May 27th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Why, why, why?! Serena plays an entertaining match, full of fighting spirit....and then she qets booed?!

cometz9
May 27th, 2004, 07:20 PM
I guess they want to get rid of all the Americans out of the tourney :shrug:

skanky~skanketta
pathetic, unappreciating, classless.

many words to describe the crowd really.

Paneru

:worship:

jrm
May 27th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Serena clinched her fist after the net cord and not 'apologized' to the oponnent as most do

Knizzle
Same reason the haters on this boards are booing in front of their PC screens.

SJW
ick, i thought the French had taste

this Roland Garros has been the most disgusting behaviour i've ever seen. they're booing ALL the Americans.

they should boycott.

K-Dog
May 27th, 2004, 07:22 PM
The French are idiots. I don't know why more Americans don't boo foreign players at the U.S. Open.

LindsayRocks89
at what part of the match did they boo? those snobby french people are so trashy, go USA!!!! :bounce:

SJW
Serena clinched her fist after the net cord and not 'apologized' to the oponnent as most do
and for all the booing before that? :rolleyes: and for Jennifer? Meghann? Andy?

the Roland Garros crowd need to wake up.

hollywood7172
May 27th, 2004, 07:23 PM
if the crowds' behavior are any indication of the french, then the french SUCK.

there, i said it. they seem to not like americans, so why should i like them?

~{X}~
Cause us American's have manners! :D lol.
Thats why we don't boo foreigner's when they play!

Dava
The booing started cos Serena cheered when her let cord went over, and she pumped her fist. It was wrong though, I but it was only a fraction of the audience it wasent like it was everyone.

Josh
Maybe because she was quite aggressive, like when she hit a ball that touches the net and falls dead on Maria's half, she shouted "Yes" quite loudly.

Or because she influenced some line calls? Like at 5-4 third set advantage Kirilenko, Maria hit a deep backhand that just touches the line (you can see it turn white in the slow motion) but Serena immediately raises her finger to influence the line judge who calls it out.

Anyway the booing was out of line but I guess it will never be a lovestory between Serena and Paris....

veera
May 27th, 2004, 07:24 PM
And she lifted her finger to say that one of Marias backhand was out, and was working as a judge.
What a horrible bitch. :rolleyes:

edit. Apparently some people don't get the fact, that I was beeing sarcastic saying Serena is a horrible bitch. That's the point of :rolleyes:

croat123
May 27th, 2004, 07:24 PM
listen, in the u.s. the crowd carries the american players. in france it carries the european players. the same people that defended the us crowd are now accusing the french crowd of being unfair

hollywood7172
May 27th, 2004, 07:25 PM
The French are idiots. I don't know why more Americans don't boo foreign players at the U.S. Open.
because, apparently, americans have more class and know the meaning of the word "sportsmanship"

if the french dont like the american players, then maybe THEY SHOULD TRY TO CULTIVATE PLAYERS THAT CAN ACTUALLY BEAT THEM?? LOL :lol:

Knizzle
There was no 5 all in the third. :rolleyes:

I doubt she can influence line calls in Paris.

Josh
And she lifted her finger to say that one of Marias backhand was out, and was working as a judge.

Well a lot of other players do that and they don't get nearly the same treatment as Serena did so I guess it was just an accumulation of many things.

Foot_Fault
May 27th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Maybe because she was quite aggressive, like when she hit a ball that touches the net and falls dead on Maria's half, she shouted "Yes" quite loudly.

Or because she influenced some line calls? Like at 5 all third set advantage Kirilenko, Maria hit a deep backhand that just touches the line (you can see it turn white in the slow motion) but Serena immediately raises her finger to influence the line judge who calls it out.

Anyway the booing was out of line but I guess it will never be a lovestory between Serena and Paris....
4 all in the 3rd.

bandabou
For being agressive?! That is just B.s...and you all know it too?! What´s she supposed to do?! Be all passive and quiet?!

per4ever
sshhhhhhhhhh don't say that!!!! Serena doesn't do that, only Justine does!!!

~{X}~
Yes the US Open crowd does carry the US Players...a-duh. However, we don't start booing every person for either asking for a towel to wipe their face or something kinda petty like that. The French crowd just wants to voice their opinion...no matter how insignificant the reason for their outburst may be.

NicoMary
please i'm french and i love Serena:hearts: , a part a little part:fiery: of the crowd is booing Serena because of what happened last year in semifinal....

SJW
May 27th, 2004, 07:27 PM

Or because she influenced some line calls? Like at 5-4 third set advantage Kirilenko, Maria hit a deep backhand that just touches the line (you can see it turn white in the slow motion) but Serena immediately raises her finger to influence the line judge who calls it out.

it was called out before she raised her finger :)

carot
Also put this in perspective please, when she went changing outfits after set 2, the entire crowd was whistling and clapping for her new sexy outfit... so yeah...

and no applause or anything after her double faults... so blah, don't overreact either. ;)

Josh
4 all in the 3rd.

No it was 5-4 for Serena and Maria had advantage to make it 5 all. I corrected it.

katrientje
May 27th, 2004, 07:28 PM
It was a shame how the crowd behaved I totally agree. I just don't understand, Serena played with a lot of sportmanship and they just don't dig it. I feel sorry for her.
they are not worth being there watching this great player :mad:

SJW
yea what a horrible bitch...noting that an out ball was out :rolleyes:

bandabou
This crowd is just pathetic. Plain and simple...

The Guilty
Serena shouted "yes" after the net cord and didn't apologize immediately, but if you looked carefully, she raised her racquet when Maria was serving, which looked like she was apologising. Anyway, even if she didn't, there is no reason to be treated like that.

Lady
They're ready to boo Marat for throwing his racquet, they like to boo :shrug:

But to be fair, part of the crowd tried to overcheer the booing! ;)

hollywood7172
please i'm french and i love Serena:hearts: , a part a little part:fiery: of the crowd is booing Serena because of what happened last year in semifinal....
they're booing her because of last YEAR?????????????????????????????:rolleyes:

and what did she do WRONG last year?

Svennovitch
Well a lot of other players do that and they don't get nearly the same treatment as Serena did so I guess it was just an accumulation of many things.
Those other players don't claim they are the real number one. With her game she shouldn't be needing those points. It is sad...

The French crowd has always been very loud, cheering or booing, for as long as I have been watching tennis.

Beat
May 27th, 2004, 07:29 PM
they're booing ALL the Americans.

have you seen labdze yesterday? he's not american, is he? they're booing everyone. the dummies.

katrientje
I am sure that was as reaction to the booing
But maybe it aggravated things, still not reason to act like a bunch of pigs... And they say the french are classy? :rolleyes:

Josh
it was called out before she raised her finger :)

Possibly, but the crowd probably saw it in and then saw Serena's reaction and didn't like it. But like I said, almost all players do it but because Paris doesn't seem to like Serena, they just saw that as another opportunity to boo her.

bandabou
May 27th, 2004, 07:30 PM
For a netcord?! Please, please....don´t give me that stuff...

Jasmin

ITA. It's just ignorant to boo someone for trying.

7~ŒLêV3ñ½
maybe they just dont like cocky personalities and like the quiet one like ms Venus and Graf...oh well... ;)

Spunky83
listen, in the u.s. the crowd carries the american players. in france it carries the european players. the same people that defended the us crowd are now accusing the french crowd of being unfair

Same opinion. Every country tries to defend her own country (border countries), there´s noting wrong about it. The french are a very patriotic crowd, just as the Americans are.

SF 2003: Justine vs. J-Cap...there were people cheering when Justine hit a serve fault, that´s not nice

FO 2004: Andy couldn´t serve, cause sweat was running down his face, he turns around and grabs the towel...he gets booed...

Just to make clear that I don´t favour anyone. But I guess that the Americans, as well as the French should think about their own behaviour and stop accusing one another. Please!

katrientje
May 27th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Possibly, but the crowd probably saw it in and then saw Serena's reaction and didn't like it. But like I said, almost all players do it but because Paris doesn't seem to like Serena, they just saw that as another opportunity to boo her.
As a matter of fact they didn't react to that one if I recall well, but still...

SJW
It was a shame how the crowd behaved I totally agree. I just don't understand, Serena played with a lot of sportmanship and they just don't dig it. I feel sorry for her.
they are not worth being there watching this great player :mad:
right. late in the third set Maria hit a great point and Serena applauded it on her racquet...yet according to them, she's unsportsmanlike...ok

bandabou
And then why keep boing after the end of the match?!

Josh
May 27th, 2004, 07:33 PM

Because they really don't like her, you can debate it all you want but in the end they don't like her. And unfortunately the crowd is very vocal about that, very classless but not much you can do about it I'm afraid...

hingis-seles
May 27th, 2004, 07:35 PM
You asked in your original post why she was booed and now you don't want to hear why. :confused:

bandabou
May 27th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Because they really don't like her, you can debate it all you want but in the end they don't like her. And unfortunately the crowd is very vocal about that, very classless but not much you can do about it I'm afraid...

Easy talking....how I would like that it would have been a fav of you. Would like to see the reaction then....would it still be: just the way it is?!

Josh
May 27th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Easy talking....how I would like that it would have been a fav of you. Would like to see the reaction then....would it still be: just the way it is?!

Well what do you wanna do about it?

V-MAC
May 27th, 2004, 07:42 PM
the French crowd think they are attending a pantomine when they go to see Serena playing and they treat her as the big bad villan :( its pathetic but thats how it is. be very interesting if the venus/serena semi-final materializes to see how the crowd react to serena under the circumstances of playing her sister.but really, the french crowd were just damn right rude and ignorant today showing no respect whatsoever for a modern legend.I'd feel embarrassed to be French right now :o and you can't say otherwise unless you actually SAW the match this evening.

mentos
May 27th, 2004, 07:42 PM
booing frech, screw 'em. we'll (warrior princess's fan) take victory, let them eat cake.
great fight serena. kudos to kirilenklo(sp) for really turning up the heat.

fammmmedspin
May 27th, 2004, 07:43 PM
They wanted an excuse and Serena gave hem a tiny one with her agressive bodylanguage (though most of the time she held herself in pretty well)

The shame of the thing is that it distorted yet another great match. It wasn't coincidence that Kirilenko went out to serve in a roar, made a difficult choice to play through it and then let Serena rebreak with the crowd making play difficult by shouting and booing depending on who was winning a point. If they had kept quiet who knows if she wouldn't have fallen off her service game. What with that and the netcord and Serena's ball on the line, there was literally nothing in it.

Chance
May 27th, 2004, 07:47 PM
they are fucking morons!

NicoMary
May 27th, 2004, 07:47 PM
they're booing her because of last YEAR?????????????????????????????:rolleyes:

and what did she do WRONG last year?
She pass on the other side of the net a the end of the match to shake Hénin's hand...like if she didn't want to....and a part of a crowd (maybe some belgium) are booing her because of that

bandabou
May 27th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Well what do you wanna do about it?

Haaa.....wouldn´t want to know. How there are people who can classify booing a player as just "life"?!

fammmmedspin
May 27th, 2004, 07:49 PM
1. Because they didn't like her.

2. Because she did what might normally be sensible and ignored them and was polite and friendly and waved at them. They thought this was her baiting them so they responded. There is no pleasing a baying mob - the trick is to get out of there as quietly as you can.

To be fair some of the crowd did applaud her.

Josh
May 27th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Haaa.....wouldn´t want to know. How there are people who can classify booing a player as just "life"?!

The best way to respond to the booing is to keep winning and me thinks Serena is doing a mighty good job at that.

katrientje
The only positive thing I saw was when Serena left the court a quite large part of the audience gave her a big cheer

DelMonte
1. Because they didn't like her.

2. Because she did what might normally be sensible and ignored them and was polite and friendly and waved at them. They thought this was her baiting them so they responded. There is no pleasing a baying mob - the trick is to get out of there as quietly as you can.

To be fair some of the crowd did applaud her.

i think you are absolutely right. for whatever reason, the french crowd have taken a dislike to serena and will use whatever she does (no matter how insignificant) to boo her. she has to accept that situation and rise above it like the champion she is. i tell you what though, there are very few players who could continue to fight under those circumstances and the fact that serena managed to do that today just makes me admire her fighting character even more. GO SERENA!

Avid Merrion
May 27th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Serena answered the booing in the correct way, by winning.

so let the fuckers continue to boo, and Serena to keep ramming it back down their throats :)

Cariaoke
May 27th, 2004, 07:56 PM
They ones who don't like her actually PAY TO SEE HER to try and fuck with her head. It worked last year. But this year is another story. They are determined to nitpick at every little thing... normal shit that goes on in a match, they are going to make a big deal out of it.

Do you, Serena and keep winning. That's the only way you can defeat them. :kiss:

bandabou
May 27th, 2004, 07:57 PM
The best way to respond to the booing is to keep winning and me thinks Serena is doing a mighty good job at that.

guess so, no...

Jakeev
May 27th, 2004, 08:01 PM
You know, if this messageboard is still around in five years, we are still going to have threads complaining about the French crowds.

Guys we have to get over it. The French are the French whether we like it or not and they sure as hell are not going to stop being.......French.

Serena is over the French crowd. We need to be too.

Filip!
May 27th, 2004, 08:02 PM
The crowd was rude. Let's hope this will not happen again!

bandabou
May 27th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Pathetic French...Pathetic French....how I hate them!!!

spencercarlos
May 27th, 2004, 08:09 PM
She apologized later, just before Maria served at 0-15 in that game..(not to mention she made 2 double faults after :O )

Joana
May 27th, 2004, 08:11 PM
They just dislike some players. It happened to ASV, Martina, now Serena. They don't have to do anything specific, they will find a reason to boo again. It's really sad and pathetic, but it's just the way it is. :shrug:
And I believe, it's not the majority of the crowd.

Jakeev
May 27th, 2004, 08:15 PM
It's raining every year and people will always complain about the rain...

It's normal people discuss about it.
Not saying not to discuss just saying we need to get over it. The French are not going to stop booing tennis players cause we don't like them doing it......

katrientje
May 27th, 2004, 08:16 PM
If it means anything, Safin is getting booed lots and lots worse :eek:
the French crowd is just mean, I guess it's not personal...

Ryan
May 27th, 2004, 08:19 PM

They booed her because she's black. Happy? We all know thats what you wanted us to say. Serena is black, and the French hate her for it.

Black Mamba.
May 27th, 2004, 08:23 PM
I can't wait till some of the French players comeback here to the states especially when Roddick plays.

Cariaoke
May 27th, 2004, 08:23 PM
poor Marat...

fuck the French crowds. It's shameful and make them look like they have the IQ of an eraser. :lol: :haha:

It's a shame that the French people are being made to look like assholes because of a few blockheads. UGH!

arn
May 27th, 2004, 08:26 PM
I guess the french like players who are humble in defeat and humble in victory, other players are labeled cocky. That's why all the introvert players at RG get a better treatment by the crowd as the extravagant ones

bandabou
May 27th, 2004, 08:26 PM
They booed her because she's black. Happy? We all know thats what you wanted us to say. Serena is black, and the French hate her for it.

You ain´t even black and you wanna play the race card?! That ain´t funny! You have NO idea what you´re talking about...making fun of rascism?!

My question was: why boo her at all?! But seeing that they´re booing now during the Marat match as well...I guess they´re just plain stupid.

DelMonte
May 27th, 2004, 08:27 PM
If it means anything, Safin is getting booed lots and lots worse :eek:
the French crowd is just mean, I guess it's not personal...

I hope Marat shows them! He just broke back. C'MON!!!!

Black Mamba.
May 27th, 2004, 08:29 PM
I really really really hope that the French players get it twice as bad when they play in the states.

Filip!
May 27th, 2004, 08:30 PM
You ain´t even black and you wanna play the race card?! That ain´t funny! You have NO idea what you´re talking about...making fun of rascism?!

My question was: why boo her at all?! But seeing that they´re booing now during the Marat match as well...I guess they´re just plain stupid.

Serena was very classy after the match. I appreciate the way how she responded, by being very nice towards the crowd.

Tenniscrowds should learn to respect every player. Booing double faults and errors is not nice. Everybody should be happy with matches like this. Who likes 6-0 6-0 more than fights like today? Nobody, I guess.

volta
May 27th, 2004, 08:31 PM
i´m begining to think that they are retarded. Serena come out from that with class. they are stupid as hell.

Joana
May 27th, 2004, 08:32 PM
I really really really hope that the French players get it twice as bad when they play in the states.
In that case, RG 2005 will sure be interesting for US players. :rolleyes:

apoet29
May 27th, 2004, 08:33 PM
The French crowds have been terrible toward Americans in this tourney. I have no idea what's up unless it stems from the political fallout over Iraq, but they need to grow up and applaud the players who win. It is not just the Williams sisters who are getting booed in this tourney. Shaughnessy, Roddick, Davenport have all been booed by the crowds. I think there is a lot of anti-American sentiment in the French crowd for this tournament, which is a shame.

bandabou
May 27th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Serena was very classy after the match. I appreciate the way how she responded, by being very nice towards the crowd.

Tenniscrowds should learn to respect every player. Booing double faults and errors is not nice. Everybody should be happy with matches like this. Who likes 6-0 6-0 more than fights like today? Nobody, I guess.

May the crowd hear you!

DelMonte
May 27th, 2004, 08:34 PM

That's what I don't get it-- I thought we all watch tennis because of matches like today, when against all odds, players somehow dig deep, fight like hell, and somehow come through even on days when they are not at their best. Why on earth can't people appreciate that?? Isn't that what sports is all about?

katrientje
May 27th, 2004, 08:35 PM
The French crowds have been terrible toward Americans in this tourney. I have no idea what's up unless it stems from the political fallout over Iraq, but they need to grow up and applaud the players who win. It is not just the Williams sisters who are getting booed in this tourney. Shaughnessy, Roddick, Davenport have all been booed by the crowds. I think there is a lot of anti-American sentiment in the French crowd for this tournament, which is a shame.
Are you serious? did they boo all americans? I didn't see any of their matches... I know Capriati didn't get any of it...

volta
May 27th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Serena shouted "yes" after the net cord and didn't apologize immediately, but if you looked carefully, she raised her racquet when Maria was serving, which looked like she was apologising. Anyway, even if she didn't, there is no reason to be treated like that.
yes i saw that 2. she raised her raquet to apologize.

Only Venus wasn´t booed right? (at least they like her :rolleyes: )

Black Mamba.
May 27th, 2004, 08:39 PM
This is strictly political, it seems to me that the French can't get at the Bush administration any other way so they view American athletes as an extention of Bush and his policies. That is totally unfair, last time I checked Andy, Serena, Venus, Lindsay, and J-Cap had nothing to do with Iraq. Oh well as soon as guys like Bill O'Reilly catch wind of this they will call for another boycott of French goods just like he did last year when the crowd was like this.

jbone_0307
May 27th, 2004, 08:47 PM
The french crowd is really intelligent because they know whats going on, on the court, and of course the French are going to respond hostile to americans and other coutries players. They are a rowdy crowd and its kind of fun to watch because they boo on shots that are close. I'm sure that 3/4 of Americans would do the same because they hate the french too, and they talk about them.

Filip!
May 27th, 2004, 08:47 PM
May the crowd hear you!

Let's hope it. It would be much better for every player and for tennis!

volta
May 27th, 2004, 08:52 PM
The french crowd is really intelligent because they know whats going on, on the court, and of course the French are going to respond hostile to americans and other coutries players. They are a rowdy crowd and its kind of fun to watch because they boo on shots that are close. I'm sure that 3/4 of Americans would do the same because they hate the french too, and they talk about them.
Serena last year was booed as hell(against Justine) and correct me if i´m wrong nobody booed on US Open to Justine

Helen Lawson
May 27th, 2004, 08:53 PM
I have NEVER been booed at a performance! I have had people cry, applaud, give me a standing ovation, propose, even die, I am that good on stage.

Neely has been booed a lot. She turns up on stage drunk, stoned, or both and does not even try to hide it. Once she even came out on stage for the opening act in the second act's outfit. She just giggled to the audience and said it was like "Momento," backwards that night, the fell down on the couch on stage and started to laugh and toss her shoes off. The booed her off stage, the understudy did it, and Neely went off and got even drunker at a bar and ended up rolling around in an alley screaming her name out in the middle of the night, covered in garbage.

Let us hope that Serena and the other American girls can rise above this.

jbone_0307
May 27th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Maybe because nobody knew about it. People in the US talk about the french all the time, to the point of where people want to change french fries into freedom fries

tennisIlove09
May 27th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Here's my two cents:

It still leads back to last year. It has to. Serena doesn't do anything that other player's don't do. And the French don't forget, or forgive. Just as Hingis. From 1999 on, every time she showed any anger, or questioned any call (whether it was 1st RD, or SF) they got on her.

Perhaps it's more of the same with Serena.

fifiricci
May 27th, 2004, 08:58 PM
This is strictly political, it seems to me that the French can't get at the Bush administration any other way so they view American athletes as an extention of Bush and his policies. That is totally unfair, last time I checked Andy, Serena, Venus, Lindsay, and J-Cap had nothing to do with Iraq. Oh well as soon as guys like Bill O'Reilly catch wind of this they will call for another boycott of French goods just like he did last year when the crowd was like this.
If you guys think the French reaction is nationalistic/childish/uncalled for (or however you wish to describe it), a US response along these lines would seem even more pathetic! I think we have to accept that the French are a rowdy crowd and I dont think people should take it so much to heart if they boo a player of a certain nationality. It's because of reactions like that that stupid wars are started! If you think that US crowds are more intelligent and tolerant of foreign players, you have the moral high ground and you should behave accordingly, and not come down to the level that you perceive your detractors to be on ...............

(BTW I am neither pro or anti USA or France when it comes to tennis, but dont get me started on Iraq :lol: )

fifiricci
May 27th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Are you serious? did they boo all americans? I didn't see any of their matches... I know Capriati didn't get any of it...
Well I'm neither pro or anti French or American (being Welsh :lol: ) but I think the crowd did have a go at Capriati. At the end I got the impression she would be asking her daddy to get in touch with his Mafia contacts and take out a contract on the French crowd!

I'll be at the semis next week, my first trip to RG, so I'll get a real impression for myself then. Maybe for now I'm talking through my arse ............

Helen Lawson
May 27th, 2004, 09:02 PM
They can change French Fries to whatever they want, but French dressing is French dressing. And fondue is fondue.
I love Paris and people there are nice to me, of course that might because I am an international superstar/icon, but who cares anyway if many of the people there are a bunch of assholes, the city is beautiful, the people are beautiful, the wine, champagne, cheese and food in general are delicious. You have to look at the positives. They probably laugh at me and other Americans behind our backs and all, but to hell with them, I won an Oscar and they didn't, so there.

jbone_0307
May 27th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Sry, but I didn't hear any boos after the match was over?? I thought they were cheering.

justine&coria
May 27th, 2004, 09:10 PM
I really find something funny :
- (some people in) the crowd boo a black girl/man : they are racist
- (some people in) the crowd boo an American : they are anti-American

Sorry, but all those who boo players are generally young people (some are children), and they're not like "well, there's an American entering the court and we're gonna boo them". I don't believe they're clever enough to think this way !
An what's funny is that this booing is an excuse for some American to make other American becoming more anti-French (and when you're anti-French you're for the War in Irak and you vote Bush) !

Did they boo Agassi ? No !
Did they boo Venus ? No (at least for the moment, because she's playing Pierce next).
Did they boo Capriati today ? No !
Did they boo Davenport ? No !
(i don't have other examples since there were not many Americans !)
They booed American, Georgian, German, and French people, because they didn't have a very good behaviour !

I have to admit that some in the crowd have something against Serena ! But, it's mainly because Serena gave herself a bad image last year (for example, just remember the face she had when she faced Mauresmo and destroyed her last year).

bandabou
May 27th, 2004, 09:11 PM
believe me....they booed! oh, they booed!

Helen Lawson
May 27th, 2004, 09:13 PM
If they booed Myriam Casanova, is it because they do not like fat people?

bandabou
May 27th, 2004, 09:14 PM
I really find something funny :
- (some people in) the crowd boo a black girl/man : they are racist
- (some people in) the crowd boo an American : they are anti-American

Sorry, but all those who boo players are generally young people (some are children), and they're not like "well, there's an American entering the court and we're gonna boo them". I don't believe they're clever enough to think this way !
An what's funny is that this booing is an excuse for some American to make other American becoming more anti-French (and when you're anti-French you're for the War in Irak and you vote Bush) !

Did they boo Agassi ? No !
Did they boo Venus ? No (at least for the moment, because she's playing Pierce next).
Did they boo Capriati today ? No !
Did they boo Davenport ? No !
(i don't have other examples since there were not many Americans !)
They booed American, Georgian, German, and French people, because they didn't have a very good behaviour !

I have to admit that some in the crowd have something against Serena ! But, it's mainly because Serena gave herself a bad image last year (for example, just remember the face she had when she faced Mauresmo and destroyed her last year).

And was it really THAT bad to keep on doing it this year as well?!

justine&coria
May 27th, 2004, 09:27 PM
And was it really THAT bad to keep on doing it this year as well?!
I personaly don't think so ! But, I mean people have had a bad image of Serena, and she's a bit responsible of that !
Venus didn't got booing. She'll probably be booed when she faces Mary, but it'll be because she faces a French player !
With Serena, it's because she's Serena ! Not because she's American ! It's stupid, but those people who boo her for that are stupid.

akosijepoy
May 27th, 2004, 09:31 PM
i heard from SportsCenter that Venus also got some jeers and whistles...but that changed after she spoke french

Black Mamba.
May 27th, 2004, 09:33 PM
i heard from SportsCenter that Venus also got some jeers and whistles...but that changed after she spoke french

Really, thanks for the info.

the cat
May 27th, 2004, 09:38 PM
It's just ridiculous for Serena to be booed at the French Open! :mad: She plays 100% all out tennis and doesn't dog it. She's a show stopper and a great tennis player who deserves to be cheered and not booed. Why are they booing her? Is it because of last year against Henin when Henin's hand ploy baited Serena into asking about Henin's hand and the French crowd turned on Serena because they thought Serena was trying to get away with something when it was Henin who was trying to get away with something and she did? Something is not right with the French crowd. If Serena gave them something to be upset about I could understand them booing her. But all she does is play exciting all court tennis and win. She deserves to be cheered and not booed.

bandabou
May 27th, 2004, 09:40 PM
It's just ridiculous for Serena to be booed at the French Open! :mad: She plays 100% all out tennis and doesn't dog it. She's a show stopper and a great tennis player who deserves to be cheered and not booed. Why are they booing her? Is it because of last year against Henin when Henin's hand ploy baited Serena into asking about Henin's hand and the French crowd turned on Serena because they thought Serena was trying to get away with something when it was Henin who was trying to get away with something and she did? Something is not right with the French crowd. If Serena gave them something to be upset about I could understand them booing her. But all she does is play exciting all court tennis and win. She deserves to be cheered and not booed.

Say no more, say no more!

DA FOREHAND
May 27th, 2004, 09:47 PM
the french are cowards let them go fuck themselves w/thier fancy ciggy holders.

Martian Willow
May 27th, 2004, 10:27 PM
If they booed Myriam Casanova, is it because they do not like fat people?

...this might also explain their general antipathy towards Americans... :)

justine&coria
May 27th, 2004, 10:27 PM
the french are cowards let them go fuck themselves w/thier fancy ciggy holders.
:rolleyes:

Halardfan
May 27th, 2004, 10:46 PM
There is no excuse for the crowds behaviour...they seemed primed to find fault with Serena...she couldn't do much right in some of their eyes...which in turn made her naturally defiant towards them.

But its stupid to use such behaviour to make sweeping condemnations of the French as a whole...that might appeal to Fox News but we should be above it here!

I wouldn't want people to condemn all of England because a small element of our football fans often behave dreadfully, appallingly, violently...nor should we dismiss America because in some recent Ryder cups an element of the American support have been rude and intimidating to the European players and have shown no class or sense of fair play...

Nor should all of France be written off for the actions of an idiotic few.

volta
May 27th, 2004, 10:50 PM
it looks like that they are there not to see tennis but to boo any1. sorry for the people that like this type of crowd but i hate this crowd they don´t show respect for any1. i though that they woud be fine this year after what happend in 2k3 but i think it got worst. now they boo almost in every match

Rocketta
May 27th, 2004, 11:01 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship:

jimbo mack
May 27th, 2004, 11:14 PM
australian, wimbledon and US would never behave like the french. if i were french i would be so ashamed of their behaviour, its not on. the umpire should do more to discourage their childish behaviour by saying 'quiet please' or something. i think that serena is great in the fact that it doesnt let it bother her, though it must deep down.

those mean old frenchies!!!!!! :(

~VaMoS~ArAnTxA~
May 28th, 2004, 12:07 AM
French crowd is one of the hardest to put up with for the players... But remember the case of Hingis...they were right to do it lol ! But as for Serena today, I admit (even if I don't like Serena) that there was no reason to do that! But do you remember Arantxa? Always kind with every people, always a good fighting spirit, always coming to net very quickly even after a loss to congratulate her opponent...and she's been booed too... This is wierd and mean.

Randy H
May 28th, 2004, 12:10 AM
Whether you like it or not, that is the way the crowd is - They will jump on just about anything, and with Serena that seems multiplied because of a select group of petty people in the crowd. It's just how it is, and the important thing is that Serena chooses to take the high ground and remain sportsmanlike towards them. I am sure most in her situation wouldn't be able to deal with all of that, but it's not like this is the first time the French crowd has booed someone. Hingis was booed far worse than Serena, and even though Hingis was on much better behaviour in years after, I remember quite well that Paris did not forget what happened in the 99 final and were quick to jump on her the minute she stalled or even second glanced a line call. I can think of other examples from before 1999 too, so it's not as if this is a new thing.

It's not polite, and it's not very nice, but it seems as though there isn't a whole lot that can be done - Serena has done just about all that she could possibly do, and if some of the French crowd choose not to appreciate her good points, then that is their loss. Serena is going to keep on doing her thing no matter what, and be all the more determined to continue that. :)

Philbo
May 28th, 2004, 12:12 AM
because, apparently, americans have more class and know the meaning of the word "sportsmanship"

if the french dont like the american players, then maybe THEY SHOULD TRY TO CULTIVATE PLAYERS THAT CAN ACTUALLY BEAT THEM?? LOL :lol:
Lets not make out the american crowd to be 'above' bad behaviour... I recall Pat Rafter being roundly booed at the US Open when he had to retire injured agianst Pioline the year after Rafter won it...Talk about classless...The Flushing Meadows crowd aint much better than those rude french pricks!!

dreamgoddess099
May 28th, 2004, 12:17 AM
I personally don't think so ! But, I mean people have had a bad image of Serena, and she's a bit responsible of that ! Serena isn't responsible for any bad image that the French have of her. She hasn't earned a so-called bad image anymore than Justine. She has a right to be a fierce and aggressive competitor, that doesn't make her a mean or bad person. She plays a sport for Christ’s sakes, should she act meek so that her opponents and people aren't threatened by her? If others are afraid of her for what ever reason, then that's their own insecurity. Other competitors are just as fierce, but some how that's ok as long as they don't hold their heads too high. What I load of BS. :rolleyes: Having a so-called humble or meek personality doesn't make you a better person, or even guarantee that you're good person at all. Some of the world’s worst criminals have so-called good public images. I guess that makes them good people; you know, the type that don't deserve to be booed.
Venus didn't got booing. Venus was booed last year. Anyway, the French don't like Venus any better than Serena; people just want other people to think that. They've booed Venus before and they will boo her again; because they're idiots.

BTW, foreign underdogs always receive most of the crowd support at the USO when facing a Williams. Lindsay and Jennifer are another story. :rolleyes:

Ryan
May 28th, 2004, 03:27 AM

:rolleyes: This isn't their fault, they can't help having a bunch of classless boors for a crowd. Stooping to their level doesn't solve anything, it only makes you as bad as them.

justine&coria
May 28th, 2004, 05:34 AM
I'm gonna say once again what I said in post #100 and # 104.

Main reason for some stupid people in the crowd for booing Serena = Serena's arrogant attitude last year : remember the horrible face she had against Mauresmo when she beat her last year !

For other players, it's not that personal : it's because they face French players or underdogs, or have bad behaviours ! Not because they're American or something else.

Once again, I find this stupid !

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 05:53 AM
booing because serena is a fierce competitot?! Well Justine is even worse...even willing to use gamesmanship...but somehow it ´s aight for her.

Knizzle
May 28th, 2004, 05:57 AM
Justine&Coria!! Serena wasn't arrogant against Mauresmo last year. She was pissed off and focused. Obviously that anger and focus was effective because she SMASHED Momo 6-1, 6-2. I still remember Serena giving Momo congratulations for a lob she hit over Serena's head and an arrogant person doesn't do that. I didn't hear the crowd booing her for beating Mauresmo.

Venus Forever
May 28th, 2004, 06:30 AM
The French crowd will always be ignorant and classless, and that's just how it is.

It's funny with the French. They don't like it when players question calls because they believe it's disrespectful to the linesman, or so they say. BUT, it's alright for them to boo when they think the line call was wrong. :rolleyes:

The French are just pathetic and have no respect. I mean, come on, they were still doing the wave when Maria was trying to serve, and she served through it. They care more about "the wave" than they do about tennis.

jbone_0307
May 28th, 2004, 06:48 AM
You guys are labeling and stereotyping these people. The booing was the action of only a few spectators so we shouldn't judge the whole country on some ignorant people (sounds familiar), the same with the prison abuse scandal, not every american is like that.

Aphex
May 28th, 2004, 07:51 AM
I see a pattern here. A couple of years ago the World Championships of Handball were held in France. France's main rival was Sweden. The Frenchies booed the Swedish team for every single match up until the final. In the final Sweden vs. France the crowd's behaviour was plain awful. They cheered the most outrageous fouls from the French team. They drowned the Swedish national anthem in whistles. They even booed the Swedish team during the prize-ceremony after France had won. It was flat out bloodthirst. And all because they knew Sweden was the better team in reality, so all sport fans of France joined in to give their boys a helping hand.

Now it happens again. They know Mauresmo is weak mentally especially at RG. So now they start working on Serena and Jennifer beacuse they know they are Amelies main rivals. Soon they'll start on Venus and Lindsey as well and after that the last standing Russians.
I wonder if there is a word for sportsmanship in French?

turt
May 28th, 2004, 08:41 AM
... says someone who is still mad at a player for raising a hand last year... puh-leeeeze! :tape:

visions23
May 28th, 2004, 08:59 AM
French also boo their players. Mary Pierce at the beginning of her carreer, Desailly and Makelele in last friendly football/soccer match (because of their behavior with Chelsea), etc...

You guys are labeling and stereotyping these people. The booing was the action of only a few spectators so we shouldn't judge the whole country on some ignorant people (sounds familiar), the same with the prison abuse scandal, not every american is like that.

But you can't stereotype people, indeed. Morever, i bet at least 15 or 20% of the crowd is not french.

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 11:11 AM
... says someone who is still mad at a player for raising a hand last year... puh-leeeeze! :tape:

Totally comparable, of course! And no, I´m not mad....how could I be?! she got what she deserved this year, no?!

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 11:12 AM
I see a pattern here. A couple of years ago the World Championships of Handball were held in France. France's main rival was Sweden. The Frenchies booed the Swedish team for every single match up until the final. In the final Sweden vs. France the crowd's behaviour was plain awful. They cheered the most outrageous fouls from the French team. They drowned the Swedish national anthem in whistles. They even booed the Swedish team during the prize-ceremony after France had won. It was flat out bloodthirst. And all because they knew Sweden was the better team in reality, so all sport fans of France joined in to give their boys a helping hand.

Now it happens again. They know Mauresmo is weak mentally especially at RG. So now they start working on Serena and Jennifer beacuse they know they are Amelies main rivals. Soon they'll start on Venus and Lindsey as well and after that the last standing Russians.
I wonder if there is a word for sportsmanship in French?

Interesting....so this is just chronical?!

jbone_0307
May 28th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Serena last year was booed as hell(against Justine) and correct me if i´m wrong nobody booed on US Open to Justine

Justine isn't French, shes from Belgium and Belgians dont like the French too much, so Serena must have been doing something. :rolleyes:

jbone_0307
May 28th, 2004, 05:21 PM
French also boo their players. Mary Pierce at the beginning of her carreer, Desailly and Makelele in last friendly football/soccer match (because of their behavior with Chelsea), etc...

But you can't stereotype people, indeed. Morever, i bet at least 15 or 20% of the crowd is not french.

I never said it were the French in the first place

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Justine isn't French, shes from Belgium and Belgians dont like the French too much, so Serena must have been doing something. :rolleyes:

And in your (not so) brilliant mind: what was that?!