PDA

View Full Version : (4) Venus Williams vs. Mary Pierce

pierce0415
May 27th, 2004, 03:52 PM
The third round match that everybody has been looking forward to ever since the draw came out. Venus is favored to win but if Mary is on or if Vee's injury flares up then Mary definitely has a chance.:p

Mary PIERCE (FRA) v Venus WILLIAMS (USA) 1998 San Diego Hard (O) QF Mary PIERCE 2-6 7-6 4-0 Retired 1998 US Open Hard (O) 16 Venus WILLIAMS 1-6 6-7 1998 Zurich Hard (I) QF Venus WILLIAMS 4-6 1-6 1998 Kremlin Cup Carpet (I) SF Mary PIERCE 2-6 6-2 6-0 1999 Hamburg Clay (O) FR Venus WILLIAMS 0-6 3-6 1999 Rome Clay (O) FR Venus WILLIAMS 4-6 2-6 1999 Zurich Hard (I) SF Venus WILLIAMS 4-6 4-6 Venus WILLIAMS (USA) leads 5 : 2

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040527/capt.rog14705271525.french_open_rog147.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040527/capt.rog13305271353.france_tennis_french_open_rog1 33.jpg

LindsayRocks89
May 27th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Venus :bounce:

Foot_Fault
May 27th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Mary will Give Venus the Pace and Match Rhythm she likes. From the ground they will be match, Venus has the edge with Foot Speed. I am seeing Vee in 2 CLOSE sets.

Piotrek
May 27th, 2004, 03:56 PM
GO MARY :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: YOU CAN BEAT HER !!!

GermanBoy
May 27th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Want Mary so badly to win! Venus will make it... :sad:

mauresmofan
May 27th, 2004, 04:04 PM
I don't think Venus can afford to play poorly against Maam. Maam has a great serve and ground strokes but Venus is far superior over the ground. Venus has struggled a little in her opening round and today whereas Maam hasn't put a foot wrong. Can't wait for this match!

I love Mary
May 27th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Allez Marie!

Black Mamba.
May 27th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Vee, Mary's game is tight, but I don't see Vee playing like she has in the first two rounds.

Paneru
May 27th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Venus will pick it up as she continually and consistently
has when she needed to amidst her clay court season! :cool:

cheo23
May 27th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Well if they had played today My girl Mary Pierce would have won for sure the way Venus just hit way too many Unforced Errors...I'll stick with My prediction and say My girl Mary Pierce will surprise Venus in 2 close SETs..HMMMMMMM..Score might be 6-3 7-6...By the way..Mary Hit alot of Good ASS Hard Deep shots to Venus's Forehand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hit to the Forehand and Attack Her sucky 2nd SERVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! U Saw her Play NOw LEARN from IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO Mary !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE LOVE U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

apoet29
May 27th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Venus in two comfortable sets.

Scotso
May 27th, 2004, 04:30 PM
ESPN better show this match in its entirety.

DA FOREHAND
May 27th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Well if they had played today My girl Mary Pierce would have won for sure the way Venus just hit way too many Unforced Errors...I'll stick with My prediction and say My girl Mary Pierce will surprise Venus in 2 close SETs..HMMMMMMM..Score might be 6-3 7-6...By the way..Mary Hit alot of Good ASS Hard Deep shots to Venus's Forehand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hit to the Forehand and Attack Her sucky 2nd SERVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! U Saw her Play NOw LEARN from IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO Mary !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE LOVE U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
iT'S ALL about match-ups...You don't play the same against every player. The better server will probably pull this one out.

pierce0415
May 27th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Well if this match is on Saturday it will be on NBC !

pierce0415
May 27th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Great to hear that Mary was in the stands of Chartier during Venus' match ... Not like she is unfamiliar with Vee's game but always good to scout out the next opponent.

WhatTheDeuce
May 27th, 2004, 05:26 PM
I think Mahree has a chance, though I'm gonna predict Venus winning in 2 close, or maybe 3 sets. Wouldn't be surprised to see Mahree win though.

Viva Mahree. :)

daniela86
May 27th, 2004, 05:29 PM
I think it will be a closed match in 3 sets! I hope Mary will win but Venus has more chance to win than her! :)
My prediction Venus def Pierce 4/6 7/6 7/5

Tompier
May 27th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Mary's movement worries me :sad: That will be the key to victory. If Mary moves well She will win but when Venus makes her run all the time She will loose :sad:

Go Mary :bounce: Go Girl :bounce:

hinquit
May 27th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Venus will baggle Mary in one of the sets, maybe in the first or second.
Mary played this same way when she met Capriati and was baggled.
The problem with Venus is she can struggle when she hasn't met that person
before. But since she and mary played a couple of times, it is a great opportunity
for Venus to explore the weakness of Mary tomorrow.

7~ŒLêV3ñ½
May 27th, 2004, 05:52 PM
ms Venus would win... in 2 easy sets... 6-2 6-3 :eek: or.. she could take a tight 1st set from ms VENUS :kiss:

skanky~skanketta
May 27th, 2004, 05:55 PM
one sort of tight (6-4) and one easy set for venus.

morbidangle
May 27th, 2004, 06:38 PM
I hope Mary will win, but Mary's movement is suspect. If Mary moves well, she has a chance, otherwise, Venus will win.

kaki
May 27th, 2004, 06:43 PM
In my opinion,I hardly see an upset happening here,It will rather be an easy score

KoOlMaNsEaN
May 27th, 2004, 06:44 PM
I hope Mary wins :D:D:bounce:

Josh
May 27th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Venus will win :bounce:

sarza
May 27th, 2004, 06:46 PM
im rooting for mary here but i feel that venus will take this match

Tompier
May 27th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Venus will win :bounce:

no she won't :p

Habsudovafan
May 27th, 2004, 06:49 PM
This should be one of the most interesting matches of the tournament. Expecially with Kim and Justine gone...

Josh
May 27th, 2004, 06:50 PM
no she won't :p

Tak, Venus wygrywa! :ras:

Oh how I messed up that sentence :o...

V-MAC
May 27th, 2004, 06:51 PM
i predict Venus to be just stepping up a gear at this stage of the tournament.she'll make Mary look slow like all the top players do.It will be a stylish match though with tennis' two biggest fashion-conscious players battling out in their new RG outfits.

Tompier
May 27th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Tak, Venus wygrywa! :ras:

Oh how I messed up that sentence :o...

No you didn't ;) :yeah:

but still how can you say that, France should be closer to your heart :p than USA + Mary has been living in Holland for one year :hehehe: France and Holland they are your neighbours for godness' sake :p

FanDeJen
May 27th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Allez Mary!!!!

Josh
May 27th, 2004, 07:25 PM
No you didn't ;) :yeah:

but still how can you say that, France should be closer to your heart :p than USA + Mary has been living in Holland for one year :hehehe: France and Holland they are your neighbours for godness' sake :p

:woohoo: Where's my Polish degree? :D

There's just something about Mary Venus! ;)

Tompier
May 27th, 2004, 07:27 PM
one sort of tight (6-4) and one easy set for venus.

Veronica darling :kiss: you are right but you made 1 mistake, there should be "Mary" instead of "Venus" :) Everything else is just fine ;)
take care :wavey:

Tompier
May 27th, 2004, 07:33 PM
:woohoo: Where's my Polish degree? :D

After I see $$$$ (under an agreement :) )

There's just something about Mary Venus! ;)

that one just...just ...hurts me :hysteric:

Havok
May 27th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Venus has to watch out, sloppy tennis won't cut it against Pierce, who can hit the ball as hard as Venus does. If there are lots of forehand to forehand rallies, Mary might be able to win. I just hope this match turns out to be a good one:banana:

"Topaz"
May 27th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Based on movement and stamina, Venus should win. It could be a surprising 62-62 or a 64-46-61.

cometz9
May 27th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Venus :hearts: will prevail in 2 tough sets :yeah:

Jericho
May 27th, 2004, 11:42 PM
If Venus moves Pierce around and is more aggressive which she promised she would be after today's match, then I think she will win. But i dont wanna kinx her ;)

VivalaSeles
May 28th, 2004, 01:27 AM
I do hope Mary wins :D
Allez Mary :D

jan.
May 28th, 2004, 01:56 AM
hah no chance pierce :[

VeraNuVirgosFan
May 28th, 2004, 02:04 AM
Venus all the way and always!!

(Venus, but I miss your smiles that I saw a lot in Hong Kong! Please smile after your matches.)

monicain
May 28th, 2004, 04:47 AM
Look at their colours!
Anyway, ALLEZ MARY! Vous êtes un champion et elle n'est pas! Battez-elle!

Rothes
May 28th, 2004, 04:55 AM
Hopefully Mary

esquímaux
May 28th, 2004, 05:29 AM
Ma'am! :yeah:

WhatTheDeuce
May 28th, 2004, 05:34 AM
My prediction:

Venus Williams (USA) def. Mahree Pierce (FRA/CAN/USA) 7-6, 7-5.

Viva Mahree. :yeah:

LucasArg
May 28th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Venus will do it in straight sets!!! :)

Jarrett
May 28th, 2004, 06:21 AM
Venus!!

tennnisfannn
May 28th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Love both girls but Venus will play mary like she plays Davenport, power doesn't faze venus. She may enjoy the pace and has the foot speed advantage. IN Amelia island people thought Pierce would destroy serena and serena just swept her aside in two easy sets. This is a match up Venus relishes. Two sets

Gandalf
May 28th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Although I would prefer Mary to win, I think that the difference between their serves and Mary's (lack of) mobility will hurt Pierce. Venus in two easy sets.

VeNuS#1LoVa
May 28th, 2004, 09:55 AM
This sucks for me because Mary is my favorite player besides the Williams Sisters. I wanted them both to do well and they're going to end up battling it out in the 3rd Round. With Venus's recent play on Clay, I'd say Venus hands down, but Venus isn't up to par yet with her play in Paris and Mary is playing well, as always here. The crowd will be behind Mary so much and Venus will have to work hard to win this match. Hopefully she will pull it out, she knows what she has to do.

Scotso
May 28th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Mary's serving is a bit better than Venus' imo. Especially the second serve.

I just can't believe my Mary will lose :D Never have, never will ;) allez Ma'am!

Piotrek
May 28th, 2004, 10:48 AM
I do hope Mary wins :D
Allez Mary :D

:wavey: MARY WILL WIN ;) :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Paneru
May 28th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Venus will face 2000 Roland Garros champ Mary Pierce in the next round, who despite a plethora of injuries over the past four years, keeps battling. The clean-striking Pierce has cruised through her first two matches and is looking forward to the encounter.

"It’s been a while," Pierce said. "She’s one of the best players in the world, but I feel quite well."

Venus knows that if she doesn’t get the French favorite moving and dictate play, she could in for a long afternoon.

"Even though she may not have the same ranking or is seeded, she does have the experience of a champion," Venus said. "That’s something I have to be ready for."

Go Venus! :cool:

BTW, Venus walked to the stadium before her match
against Kostanic. Something she said she won't do again,
just stay in the car! :lol:

Tennisfan-Mtl
May 28th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Pierce 6-2, 5-7, 6-3 :angel:

cool bird
May 28th, 2004, 11:18 AM
I think that we all know if Venus come out and plays 100% then she will win easily.
But I dont see that happening. Venus cant afford a slow start. And Mary definaly can,t. I think the first set will be very important. Mary will be looking to get the first big strike in early so she does not have to move to much.

I think if Venus plays well then she will easily, anything under then its marys match

Piotrek
May 28th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Pierce 6-2, 5-7, 6-3 :angel:

:wavey: :worship: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Paneru
May 28th, 2004, 12:12 PM
I think that we all know if Venus come out and plays 100% then she will win easily.
But I dont see that happening. Venus cant afford a slow start. And Mary definaly can,t. I think the first set will be very important. Mary will be looking to get the first big strike in early so she does not have to move to much.

I think if Venus plays well then she will easily, anything under then its marys match

Both have to play well to win.
However, if either were down and
came back to win I bet on Venus before Mary.

Venus 6-2 6-3

SJW
May 28th, 2004, 12:38 PM
if Venus serves well i think she'll win comfortably
if Venus doesn't serve well, Mary's forehand is looking very dangerous thus far, and sitting ducks will be punished.

i hope i'll get to see/tape this match tomorrow.

good luck to both ladies, and go Venus :)

pualeez
May 28th, 2004, 01:33 PM
I hope Venus wins. She needs to stay aggressive.

Paneru
May 28th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Venus gets in a rythym to adjust to clay surface
While in Paris for the French Open, American Venus Williams will send e-mails to USA TODAY describing her various daily experiences throughout the event.

To: USA TODAY readers

Subject: Clay

"The myth that I am not a clay-court player is just not true. I admit that I don't need a calculator to tally the number of clay-court titles to my name (six), but I am proud of them! I also realize that the power game that I play classifies me as more likely to win Wimbledon (on grass) instead of the French Open.

"What I have learned over the last nine years is that I can use my power to my advantage on this tricky surface, but muscle is not always the answer. On the other hand, I could never allow myself to retreat behind the baseline and wait for my opponent to make a mistake. The power in my game is one of the factors that has allowed me to achieve everything that I have in this game. However, I have learned that mixing a pinch of spin and a dash of patience with my natural power game is the perfect recipe for getting into the clay-court rhythm.

"Today in practice, I was gradually able to get into that rhythm, which eluded me in my first-round match (against Tamarine Tanasugarn). I was also moving better today in practice because I feel much more at ease on my ankle (which was strained three weeks ago on clay). My mom, always the voice of reason, reminded me that I should not be too vigorous and to save the best for (today's match vs. Jelena Kostanic). What I don't think many people realize is that I love to play on clay. Clay challenges me to evolve my game, and it is these kinds of challenges that motivate me.

:cool:

bandabou
May 28th, 2004, 01:46 PM
You tell them Venus!!

Experimentee
May 28th, 2004, 03:00 PM
I think Venus will win. Its a bad draw for Mary, I think she would have gone far if she was in another section, like Justine's.

whorehand
May 28th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Venus will exploit Mary's lack of movement, although she does move better on clay. I think how the two lady's serve will be the decisive factor. Mary will happily spank Venus' second serve away, and if she's able to get a lot of hard first serves in, she has a chance.

But I think Venus will be too good for her this time, possibly winning something like 6-3 7-5. But good luck Mary! :)

Foot_Fault
May 28th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Venus will exploit Mary's lack of movement, although she does move better on clay. I think how the two lady's serve will be the decisive factor. Mary will happily spank Venus' second serve away, and if she's able to get a lot of hard first serves in, she has a chance.

But I think Venus will be too good for her this time, possibly winning something like 6-3 7-5. But good luck Mary! :)
I agree, butI think the score will be inverted. 7-5, 6-3

Scotso
May 28th, 2004, 06:48 PM
*bump*

Anna F'd Enrique
May 28th, 2004, 07:00 PM
i am scared about this match! I LOVE THEM BOTH! I dont want them to lose NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Infiniti2001
May 28th, 2004, 07:07 PM
I don't know in how many sets, but Venus will win-- Meryl just hasn't shown me anything to believe otherwise. Go Vee!! :p

darrinbaker00
May 28th, 2004, 07:07 PM
The Canadian-born Frenchwoman from Florida will put forth a valiant effort, but her comparative lack of mobility will be her undoing. After a hard-fought first set, Mary will simply run out of gas. Venus wins 7-5, 6-1. ;)

Knizzle
May 28th, 2004, 07:34 PM
I think Venus something like 6-2, 6-3. Venus will pick up the consistency on her groundies and get into net.

morbidangle
May 28th, 2004, 07:45 PM
I hope the Canadian born Frenchwoman from Florida, who now lives in Amsterdam, will have enough gas in the tank to pull this one through! ;)

Good Luck to Mary! :bounce:

SJW
May 28th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Mary now lives in Amsterdam? :eek:

morbidangle
May 28th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Yeah she does. Sven asked Mary to move to Amsterdam, if she wanted him to coach her. Mary has been living there for almost a year now. She is putting in all the hard work. I hope it pays off! I would love to see Mary back in the top 20. Mary :kiss:

Scotso
May 29th, 2004, 03:37 AM
I don't think people should write Mary off so quickly. Yes, she could get spanked... likely, she won't. She has a chance to beat Venus, especially if Venus doesn't player well.

In any case... we shall soon find out ;) Allez Mahree!

ashwu
May 29th, 2004, 03:46 AM
go go mary!!!!!!

BlinX
May 29th, 2004, 04:01 AM
c'mon mary........you deserve this :dog:

tenn_ace
May 29th, 2004, 04:03 AM
no doubt in mind - Venus... Mary's game is exactly what Venus likes to play against.