PDA

View Full Version : Venus/Serena eyes light up - Shenay Perry mentioned

treiber04
May 27th, 2004, 02:48 AM
Expect Venus and Serena to move on

Do you think Serena and Venus Williams' eyes lit up when they saw Justine Henin-Hardenne lost in the second round to Tathiana Garbin? Yes, the Williams sisters are both in the other half of the draw, but their chances of winning the title improved with the Henin-Hardenne shocker.

Serena Williams has a second-round match Thursday against the world's 100th-ranked player, Russia's Maria Kirilenko. Given the early success of Russian women in this tournament, Williams can't take this match lightly.

Venus Williams meets Croatian Jelena Kostanic, a tougher foe based on rankings (she's 39th in the world). Kostanic has gone past the second round of a Grand Slam just once, at the 2000 Australian Open. Look for both Williams sisters to move on.

Potential show stoppers

19-year-old Argentine Gisela Dulko is taking on yet another older player. First she dispatched Martina Navratilova with relative ease. Her second-round opponent is 32-year-old Conchita Martinez, who has been to the quarterfinals or better at Roland Garros 11 times.

Martinez

The French should have a lot to cheer for. Virginie Razzano is trying to reach the third round for the third time in her career; not bad for someone who turned 21 earlier this month. She has a tough test against 17th-seed Francesca Schiavone. Meanwhile, France's Mary Pierce, seeded 30th, faces pesky left-hander Gala Leon Garcia of Spain.

12th-seeded Ai Sugiyama has a tough challenge against Virginia Ruano Pascual. Known for her doubles play, Ruano Pascual hasn't made the third round at the French since 1998, though she has a legitimate shot of scoring an upset here.

American Shenay Perry, a 19-year-old ranked 110th in the world, finally won a first round Grand Slam match. Now she meets Katerina Srebotnik of Slovenia, who made the round of 16 at Roland Garros in 2002.

--------------------

It's nice that Shenay is starting to get mentioned, an interesting article as well.

Black Mamba.
May 27th, 2004, 02:51 AM
The only thing Vee and Serena took from Henin is that you have to bring your A game because these lower ranked players are coming after you.

xcrtbckhnd
May 27th, 2004, 02:55 AM
Good luck Shenay!!!! Katarina will be tough! I'm not sure what to expect from Katarina after beating Vakulenko 0 + 0, then losing 0 + 2 to Lindsay the next match, so I guess Shenay has a chance at least to keep it close. I hope Shenay can take this match!!!

PointBlank
May 27th, 2004, 03:04 AM
To bad no Shenay forum for this to go in :(

:rolls:

Knizzle
May 27th, 2004, 03:07 AM
Venus and Serena ain't thankin bout Justine.

Black Mamba.
May 27th, 2004, 03:08 AM

That's exactly what I'm saying

PointBlank
May 27th, 2004, 03:20 AM
That's exactly what I'm saying
um..no..thats exactly what your typing

unless you have severe mental problems and talk to yourself :shrug:

Jericho
May 27th, 2004, 03:22 AM
imagine Venus saying: "Woohoo!!! Justine, who I'm 7-1 against, is out of the tournament! Now I have a chance to win the title!" :tape:

dreamgoddess099
May 27th, 2004, 04:15 AM
imagine Venus saying: "Woohoo!!! Justine, who I'm 7-1 against, is out of the tournament! Now I have a chance to win the title!" :tape:
Haven't you heard? Justine is a better player now. She's not afraid Venus anymore. Funny how Venus has never been afraid of her.

VeraNuVirgosFan
May 27th, 2004, 05:04 AM
The Williams sisters might not think about Justine.

But this morning when I learnt about Justine's loss, it didn't take long before I thought about "The Hand" and how Serena was treated by the French crowd during the SF last year.

bandabou
May 27th, 2004, 05:20 AM
:lol: Donīt think Venus or Serena needs nobody to beat Juju for them to win a tourney...me still thinks that itīs the other way around...

xcrtbckhnd
May 27th, 2004, 05:26 AM
Back to this thread.....Good luck Shenay in your next match!!!! Great to see you win your first GS 1st round, take it one further and surprise Katarina!!!!