PDA

View Full Version : Article: Zheng puts China on the Map...

brunof
May 26th, 2004, 08:17 PM
I thought I would share this article for those who haven't seen it. I am quite excited for Chinese tennis these days - Zheng advaces to the third round here and will crack the top 50, Tian Tian Sun and Ting Li are nearing the top 20 in doubles, Na Li won 8 straight matches in a recent ITF Challenger in China, Shuai Peng's results are starting to improve, and China seems to indeed be on the map. :bounce:

"China's policy of promoting tennis ahead of the 2008 Beijing Olympics paid dividends on Wednesday when Jie Zheng put the country on the tennis map by advancing to the third round of the French Open. The Chinese number onebeat 31st-seed Emilie Loit 6-4 6-1 and set up a third round clash with Italy's Tathiana Garbin.

Zheng won two matches in qualifying at Roland Garros last year but failed to make the main draw.

"In recent years, the Chinese Tennis Association pays more attention to improving tennis in China," said Zheng after she beat Loit, who has won two claycourt tournaments this year.

"Because we have the Olympic Games, the cities are investing more money and giving national tennis players more opportunities to play tournaments outside."

Zheng, who said she had hoped to meet Henin-Hardenne in the tournament to "learn a lot", has slowly climbed the WTA ladder in the past four years to reach 58th in the world.

"I started playing tennis at the age of seven. Until the age of 15, I played tennis in the province of Si Chuan, in the southwest of China.

"From the age of 17, I joined China's national team," added Zheng, who came to Paris with her mother and cites Steffi Graf as her main inspiration."

http://www.eurosport.com/imgbk/TENNIS/ALL/big_MD-I143580.jpg

pierce0415
May 26th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Great for Zheng! Hopefully she will be able to make history by becoming the first Chinese woman to reach 4th round of Grand Slam.

jrm
May 26th, 2004, 09:28 PM
How come Asia never produces power players/big hitters (female only) ... most of them are really crafty with nice touch.

Vechelaux
May 26th, 2004, 09:29 PM
I reckon she will do it. She hits like a wee boot.

Shame that there is no big quality points on offer in the third round :sad:

pcrtennis
May 26th, 2004, 11:34 PM
How come Asia never produces power players/big hitters (female only) ... most of them are really crafty with nice touch.

Zheng hits the ball REALLY hard. She isn't about counterpunching, she goes after the ball! :bounce:

DelMonte
May 26th, 2004, 11:38 PM
it's always really nice to see new and exciting prospects in tennis. kudos for her rise in the rankings! also, it was she who gave venus quite a tough match in maimi, right? (i am not sure about this)

New
May 27th, 2004, 12:44 AM
She sounds very down to earth and nice!!! :bounce: I hope she gets by Garbin who upsetted Henin. I'm not even thinking about the quarters now...just one step at a time...who knows what may happen? I really hope she reaches the fourth round and wakes up her government about the need to promote tennis!

I know how it feels cos in my country it's all soccer! I wish someone in my country would reach the third round too...but no such luck at the moment....

AjdeNate!
May 27th, 2004, 12:45 AM
All the way to the semis!!! Go China!!!

kyk710
May 27th, 2004, 12:52 AM
Congrats to Zheng!! She has a great chance to make it to the fourth round, and already by beating Loit she will be very close to the top 50 :) :bounce:. The Chinese girls have basically come out of nowhere to having a couple of phenomenal years. They have been steadily climbing in the rankings and I won't be surprised if next year there are 4 or 5 Chinese girls in the top 100. Keep it up girls!!

LiliaLee-Frazier
May 27th, 2004, 01:05 AM
Very nice wins for her and for China..the more countrys and players of various backgrounds the better it is for the sport... :D :bounce:

Tennisace
May 27th, 2004, 01:51 AM
Go Jie :D

kfh_9118
May 27th, 2004, 04:49 AM
Good luck against Garbin, Zheng Jie :bounce:

Mr_Molik
May 27th, 2004, 04:53 AM
go jie!

xcrtbckhnd
May 27th, 2004, 05:01 AM
Good luck to Jie! I hope she can show her best tennis and get to the next round!

Mattographer
May 27th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Way to go, Jie! :D

Libertango
May 27th, 2004, 08:07 AM
:bounce: Nice article, thanks! Wish Jie all the best, think she can still beat Garbin, has a really good chance for the 4th round! I'm so pleased for her, and can't wait to see her play. :D

btw, I think Venus beat her in Miami, someting like 6-4 6-4, so it was close :)

salima
May 27th, 2004, 08:13 AM

ever heard of Iroda Tulyaganova or Big Akgul A
;)

.....there must be difficult to find the talented playerds in China, with so many to choose from :confused: :angel:

Sammm
May 27th, 2004, 10:20 AM
I lik her and Tian Tian Sun

justine&coria
May 27th, 2004, 10:50 AM
I saw some highlights of her match against Loit and I was impressed by Zheng : she's fast and hits the ball very well !
At one point, Loit was having Zheng running from one corner to the other, Loit came to the net and had a smash : Zheng ran to catch the ball and hit a passsing-shot ! I was like WOW ! :eek:
And she attacks well to !! I'd like her to go far at RG.

spudrsca
May 27th, 2004, 11:12 AM
ever heard of Iroda Tulyaganova or Big Akgul A
;)

.....there must be difficult to find the talented playerds in China, with so many to choose from :confused: :angel:
Tennis is not a big sport in China, they prefer Table Tennis where they excel.

Eiffel
May 27th, 2004, 11:54 AM
great proud of her :worship:

Gooo, to beat the girl who beat Justine :bounce: :bounce:

brunof
May 27th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Woot Jie! I am nervous for tomorrow's match, but I hope she can pull through. Third round is amazing, 4th round is even greater! :)

brunof
May 27th, 2004, 08:52 PM
BTW, where are the pics? LOL. There is no Jie or Shinobu to be found! :sad: :confused:

GO JIE!