PDA

View Full Version : How would you deal with the French Crowd?

Eurotennisfan
May 26th, 2004, 07:29 PM
let's say you are playing a Frenchman/woman (let's say Amelie or Grojean) how would you deal with the crowd? I think I would just feed off the boos and give the finger every 5 seconds and act like I don't care (ala Jennifer Capriati). I would also make headlines by flipping the bird on my way up all while smiling :yeah: :nerner:

Helen Lawson
May 26th, 2004, 07:40 PM
I would break into song. A crowd loves a good song.

Yonge
May 26th, 2004, 07:45 PM
I'll let my game do the talking a-la Serena Williams in the QUARTERS last year against Amelie. Don't even mention the semis...

Spunky83
May 26th, 2004, 07:47 PM
I would take something with me to...I don´t know the word for it...you know these things which fit into your ears in order to shut everything down? lol

Or maybe...I would just hit some balls (ACCIDENTLY) into the crowd (with full power...(accidently). O maybe to make it more effective, my racket...accidently, of course.

esquímaux
May 26th, 2004, 07:52 PM
I'd join in the booing :D

tennisIlove09
May 26th, 2004, 08:01 PM
They would only boo you if you question calls. If you play the match, they won't be against you

Mrs. Peel
May 26th, 2004, 08:09 PM
I love what Jen Cap did...just tell them to SHUT IT!!! :fiery:

victory1
May 26th, 2004, 08:15 PM
I would taunt them like Jenn did and then after I won, I would tell them to kiss my a**!;)

Spunky83
May 26th, 2004, 10:26 PM
They would only boo you if you question calls. If you play the match, they won't be against you

Uhh...funny thing today happened when Roddick wanted to serve, but then sweat dropped down his face, he turned around and grabbed his towel, guess what happened? The crowd booed! It´s not like I don´t like the french crowd (it´s such a special atmosphere), but sometimes I really do think that they have gone nuts about booeing...They love to cheer and to boo...doesn´t really matter, what you are doing or not doing... :lol:

volta
May 26th, 2004, 10:34 PM
i would fire the balls in their direction :devil:

fammmmedspin
May 26th, 2004, 10:41 PM
let's say you are playing a Frenchman/woman (let's say Amelie or Grojean) how would you deal with the crowd? I think I would just feed off the boos and give the finger every 5 seconds and act like I don't care (ala Jennifer Capriati). I would also make headlines by flipping the bird on my way up all while smiling :yeah: :nerner:
1. You would be disqualified for bringing the game into disrepute or obscentity.

2. The crowd would do everything that they did to Serena last year ten times over. Boos as you go to serve. Cheers as your ball hits the net. Eggs as you sit there at the interval listening to roars of your opponents name. Calls as you race for the ball. Serena couldn't take it nor could Martina and they could be far worse.

3. The Fallujah response isn't always the best one. Ignore them in a pleasant way and they just get tired - it may not be the US or Black American way but its probably better to keep quiet.

fammmmedspin
May 26th, 2004, 10:44 PM
i would fire the balls in their direction :devil:
if you hit anyone they win as you get disqualified:devil::sad: . Provocation is no defence.:sad: :eek: :eek: :eek: :o :o :o

*abby*
May 26th, 2004, 10:47 PM
ok im confused now what is flipping the bird?ppl r sayin it loads an i dunno wot it means how stoopid am i lol!!!is it giving THE finger?

volta
May 26th, 2004, 10:49 PM
if you hit anyone they win as you get disqualified:devil::sad: . Provocation is no defence.:sad: :eek: :eek: :eek: :o :o :o
LOL i was kidding. i think that ignoring them is the best thing to do. Serena did that on Indian Wells last time she was there and she won.

esquímaux
May 26th, 2004, 10:52 PM
ok im confused now what is flipping the bird?ppl r sayin it loads an i dunno wot it means how stoopid am i lol!!!is it giving THE finger?
Yes, it's flipping the finger used to midfiddle ;)

OUT!
May 26th, 2004, 10:55 PM
You just have to deal with it. Any reaction will make things worse.

Black Mamba.
May 27th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Ignore them like athletes in other sports have to do. This is the part of tennis I hate, I mean when players start talking about the crowd and how the crowd is it makes me laugh. Imagine if soccer, hockey, football, or basketball players said the crowd was the reason why they lost they would get laughed at and deservedly so.

beauty_is_pink
May 27th, 2004, 12:22 AM
i would jus ignore them and play my tennis. it would be hard to get the "boos" and "alleezzz" out of your mind but if they see that you aint affected by their negativity and see you playing amazingly they'll have respect for you.

but if they behave like assholes.. walk up to one of them.. look them straight in the eye with a mean stern face and say "want a piece of this?" while holding a fist out "no? you dont.. well shut your bouche!" of course.. learning some french swear words aint that bad! :devil:

faste5683
May 27th, 2004, 12:27 AM
I'd join in the booing :D

:haha: I'd also throw a few rotton tomatoes at myself, just to add to the degradation...

:wavey:

dreamgoddess099
May 27th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Ignore them like athletes in other sports have to do. This is the part of tennis I hate, I mean when players start talking about the crowd and how the crowd is it makes me laugh. Imagine if soccer, hockey, football, or basketball players said the crowd was the reason why they lost they would get laughed at and deservedly so.Soccer, hockey, football, and basketball are all team sports with coaching allowed. Tennis is individual and no coaching allowed. The two don't compare.

dreamgoddess099
May 27th, 2004, 01:06 AM
They would only boo you if you question calls. If you play the match, they won't be against youEverybody questions calls, but not everybody gets booed. The officials can make mistakes, so why should a person playing to win not question a call? Sometimes players are right when they question calls. Should they just given away the points that they rightfully earn?

Infiniti2001
May 27th, 2004, 01:31 AM
I'd http://members.fortunecity.com/pannye80/0d015160.gif the RG crowd :lol:

Black Mamba.
May 27th, 2004, 02:56 AM
Soccer, hockey, football, and basketball are all team sports with coaching allowed. Tennis is individual and no coaching allowed. The two don't compare.

How is it different? If they can deal with the crowd so can tennis players. Imagine playing the Sacramento Kings in Arco arena where the fans ring cow bells and crap while the players try to shoot free throws or imagine when the Lakers played the Nuggets here in Denver and the crowd started chanting "No means No" to Kobe Bryant. I don't understand how coaching can help a player deal with the crowd they just deal.

cometz9
May 27th, 2004, 03:42 AM

:lol: :haha:

xr6turbo
May 27th, 2004, 03:46 AM

:haha: :haha:

DeDe4925
May 27th, 2004, 03:46 AM
1. You would be disqualified for bringing the game into disrepute or obscentity.

2. The crowd would do everything that they did to Serena last year ten times over. Boos as you go to serve. Cheers as your ball hits the net. Eggs as you sit there at the interval listening to roars of your opponents name. Calls as you race for the ball. Serena couldn't take it nor could Martina and they could be far worse.

3. The Fallujah response isn't always the best one. Ignore them in a pleasant way and they just get tired - it may not be the US or Black American way but its probably better to keep quiet.
Why do you make a distinction between US and Black American way? :confused:

DeDe4925
May 27th, 2004, 03:49 AM
:haha:

LindsayRocks89
May 27th, 2004, 03:51 AM
i would get really mad and start shouting at them

fammmmedspin
May 27th, 2004, 04:12 AM
Why do you make a distinction between US and Black American way? :confused:Stereotypical Americans are confident and assertive anyway. In an assertive society with a history of racial discrimination its not surprising if many Black Americans are even less inclined to quietly accept what they think is unfair criticism. "You dissing me?" isn't a concept that you find little old ladies in Cheltenkham or Salt Lake City adding to the English language - its got hundreds of years of history behind it.

jack duckworth
May 27th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Eurotennisfan
I would also make headlines by flipping the bird ...hmmmm...interesting ;)

i would set my vera on them :)

once a crowd gets on a players back...very difficult for the player to cope....its ok saying...do this and that....you try it with thousands of space cadets booing you :) .......look how some people on this board get aggitated and upset over a post sometimes....so imagine thousands all at once booing you..and trying to upset you

*hingis_forever*
May 27th, 2004, 11:44 AM
How is it different? If they can deal with the crowd so can tennis players. Imagine playing the Sacramento Kings in Arco arena where the fans ring cow bells and crap while the players try to shoot free throws or imagine when the Lakers played the Nuggets here in Denver and the crowd started chanting "No means No" to Kobe Bryant. I don't understand how coaching can help a player deal with the crowd they just deal.
In tennis you need that much more concentration and focus.

Princess Fiona
May 27th, 2004, 12:18 PM
If the crowd started to boo me I would cry... I'm sure I would take it personally and handle it very badly indeed!! Whaaaa... Just as well I am not a (very good) WTA player... *gulp* ;)

DelMonte
May 27th, 2004, 12:27 PM
i would get really mad and start shouting at them

and maybe throw garlic which i just happen to carry in my bag at them. :lol:

Veritas
May 27th, 2004, 12:39 PM
I'd ignore them, and and just walk out of the court ASAP (w/o signing any autographs or doing any oncourt questionnares).

Martina tried to give the crowd a taste of their own medicine back in '99, but that cost her the title. But yeah, I wouldn't have the guts to even roll my eyes at 'em (unless they go overboard).

What people have got to realise is that in some cases, once a large chunk of the RG crowds decide they don't like you, then that'll stay that way for a while. If that's the case, I'd avoid playing in Paris for the rest of my life. It may be "cowardly", but why should I subject myself to all that crap when I don't have to put up with it? Like Martina said, "I need oxygen to live. I don't need the French Open" :lol:

sarza
May 27th, 2004, 02:02 PM
whenever they booed me i would just laugh at them. It would make them worse i think but i think it would just make me more determind to win, and then once i won i would just laugh even more :)

Foot_Fault
May 27th, 2004, 02:05 PM
:armed: TECH-9!

mandy7
May 27th, 2004, 02:06 PM
it's not like they boo everyone, come on :rolleyes: