PDA

View Full Version : Are professional tennis players the whiniest players in whole sport?

Hulet
May 26th, 2004, 07:04 PM
They make me sick sometimes with all their excuses. I lost because
- I wasn't feeling good
- I just came back from injury
- a baby was crying amongst the spectators
- I am 47 years old.
- so on and so forth.

If you lost, you lost period. If you weren't feeling good enough to play a match, you shouldn't have showed up. :rolleyes: I think hockey players are the toughest; they lose a game and their first response is 'no exuse; we were outplayed.'

:rolleyes: :wavey:

bmxbandit
May 26th, 2004, 07:07 PM
I am 47 years old.
:lol: :lol:

*JR*
May 26th, 2004, 07:10 PM
There are things where they need to whine MORE, such As About how the WTA keeps them in the dark about business stuff they have a right to know. (They Talk The Talk, but haven't yet Walked the Walk).

Yonge
May 26th, 2004, 07:40 PM
I think hockey players are the toughest; they lose a game and their first response is 'no exuse; we were outplayed.'

That is true, except in a match between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Ottawa Senators, in which case the loser always has some problems like 'our star player was injured' or 'there are too many people wearing the other team's jersey'. :)

Eurotennisfan
May 26th, 2004, 07:41 PM

Eurotennisfan
May 26th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Imagine if a marathon runner said he lost because he was "tired" (ala Serena @ year end championships) :lol: :lol: :lol: :tape: :tape: :tape: :tape:

Spunky83
May 26th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Imagine if a marathon runner said he lost because he was "tired" (ala Serena @ year end championships)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or maybe a boxer, who says he had a headache...ok, I´ll stop it, the on with the marathon runner is better.

*JR*
May 26th, 2004, 08:29 PM
That is true, except in a match between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Ottawa Senators, in which case the loser always has some problems like 'our star player was injured' or 'there are too many people wearing the other team's jersey'. :)
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=88596 :p

Declan
May 26th, 2004, 08:38 PM
A bit unfair. Team players may only play a match or a game once or twice a week, and share the physical and mental strain among all their team-mates. Athletes may only run or perform in a ten or twelve one-or-two day meets a season. Tennis players can play 5 or 6 matches a week, in a year-long season, and in singles, there's no-one there to share the load.
Having said that, in the name of good sport I always like to see tribute paid to a player's conqueror, even if there are circumstances that may have affected the result. It's a a courtesy thing.

Linnie
May 26th, 2004, 08:44 PM
This may be off-topic, but kudos to "iron man" Fabrice Santoro. He wins a 6 1/2 hour match played over two days, and comes back today and wins a three-hour, 5-set match. No excuses there! :D

Helen Lawson
May 26th, 2004, 08:51 PM
I feel the press really baits these players, though, they get asked a million times "what happened" and keep asking until they get something that sounds controversial. I just want once for a player to say, "I got my ass beat, fair and square, happens to the best of us. Next question."

Martian Willow
May 26th, 2004, 08:52 PM
...you people never heard of David Coulthard...? :awww:

Avid Merrion
May 26th, 2004, 08:57 PM
:spit: :haha: :lol: if he drove like he whined, he'd be a world champion by now

Foot_Fault
May 26th, 2004, 09:00 PM
This may be off-topic, but kudos to "iron man" Fabrice Santoro. He wins a 6 1/2 hour match played over two days, and comes back today and wins a three-hour, 5-set match. No excuses there! :D
ofcourse no excuses, he won! LOL....read Clements interview.

*JR*
May 26th, 2004, 09:11 PM
No feat of endurance on the womens side may ever match that final Scottsdale Sunday. Ai finished SF wins in both singles and dubs, AND won the finals in both. (Dubs with some Big Blonde Belgian). :p That's FOUR match wins On One day, possibly an Open Era record for either tour, I'd guess. :worship:

Linnie
May 26th, 2004, 09:18 PM
ofcourse no excuses, he won! LOL....read Clements interview.:lol: Haven't read Arnaud's interview yet, but I can imagine.

I forgot about Ai's incredible Sunday!

Declan
May 26th, 2004, 09:28 PM
No feat of endurance on the womens side may ever match that final Scottsdale Sunday. Ai finished SF wins in both singles and dubs, AND won the finals in both. (Dubs with some Big Blonde Belgian). :p That's FOUR match wins On One day, possibly an Open Era record for either tour, I'd guess. :worship:

At Wimbledon in 1982 rain delays caused such a backlog in the Mixed Doubles that on the final Sunday Anne Smith and Kevin Curren won the title winning the last four rounds of the competition, all played after noon that day!

*JR*
May 26th, 2004, 09:41 PM
At Wimbledon in 1982 rain delays caused such a backlog in the Mixed Doubles that on the final Sunday Anne Smith and Kevin Curren won the title winning the last four rounds of the competition, all played after noon that day!
2 of Ai's were "solo flights" though! :p

~VaMoS~ArAnTxA~
May 26th, 2004, 10:23 PM
They make me sick sometimes with all their excuses. I lost because
- I wasn't feeling good
- I just came back from injury
- a baby was crying amongst the spectators
- I am 47 years old.
- so on and so forth.

If you lost, you lost period. If you weren't feeling good enough to play a match, you shouldn't have showed up. :rolleyes: I think hockey players are the toughest; they lose a game and their first response is 'no exuse; we were outplayed.'

:rolleyes: :wavey:

Come on! I think that curling players are tougher that hockey ones lol :lol: They skate for 5 minutes, and then they get a break... :lol: They earn such a big amount of money each year to do this lousy job...
It's not that I don't think that hockey players aren't athletes...they are...but keep in mind that tennis is recognized as the toughest sport by sport psychologists... And do not forget that giving your maximum at EVERY BALL during hours and hours is physically AND mentally very very very hard. ;) All I had to say... ( but I admit that hockey players generally are generally in good condition, but that doesn't excuse the fact that they are playing a team sport, and it calls for less efforts than individual sports, and particularly TENNIS!)

flyingmachine
May 26th, 2004, 10:26 PM
I know who he is and he makes me :o about British drivers.

Hulet
May 26th, 2004, 11:12 PM
Come on! I think that curling players are tougher that hockey ones lol :lol: They skate for 5 minutes, and then they get a break... :lol: They earn such a big amount of money each year to do this lousy job...
It's not that I don't think that hockey players aren't athletes...they are...but keep in mind that tennis is recognized as the toughest sport by sport psychologists... And do not forget that giving your maximum at EVERY BALL during hours and hours is physically AND mentally very very very hard. ;) All I had to say... ( but I admit that hockey players generally are generally in good condition, but that doesn't excuse the fact that they are playing a team sport, and it calls for less efforts than individual sports, and particularly TENNIS!)
Hockey players get banged up, slashed and cross-checked all game and they still comeback for more. They are the toughest bunch out there - I am saying this as a person least interested in hockey. Skating at the highest tempo even for 5 minutes takes a lot out of a person. Anyways, I am not talking about physical thoughness, but mentally they are even more tough. They don't hide behind the tired injury excuses to explain underachievement. I think it's the whole culture of hockey that doesn't excuse any failure due to injuries that is responsible for this sort of toughness. In contrast, tennis players and soccer players really piss me off sometimes with their endless stream excuses to explain why they were beaten.

Xavier_Malisse
May 26th, 2004, 11:14 PM
I've never complained once in my life. Well, unless you count the times I bitched about Jen and her 'requirements' and 'stamina'.

esquímaux
May 26th, 2004, 11:22 PM

Sugiyama Slam!!! :worship:

Hulet
May 26th, 2004, 11:26 PM
I've never complained once in my life. Well, unless you count the times I bitched about Jen and her 'requirements' and 'stamina'.
I thought it was Jenn who complained about your ... um... capabilities. http://images.fotki.com/v7/photos/2/22401/88550/Aus_48vi-vi.jpg

Black Mamba.
May 26th, 2004, 11:57 PM
By a large margin tennis players are the whinest athletes. Tennis aside from golf are the only sports I know where the crowd isn't allowed to cheer during the course of the action because the players apparently can't concentrate with noise. Imagine if in basketball the crowd was forced to be quiet during free throws so the player could concentrate, yeah right. Not to mention tennis players make more excuses than probably any other athletes, IMO if you are well enough to play when you lose don't come back and say I lost because I was hurt, comments and actions like that in other sports breeds anger and resentment from other teams and players, but in tennis excuses are common.

~ The Leopard ~
May 27th, 2004, 12:25 AM
They certainly have the whiniest fans.

salima
May 27th, 2004, 08:32 AM
By a large margin tennis players are the whinest athletes. Tennis aside from golf are the only sports I know where the crowd isn't allowed to cheer during the course of the action because the players apparently can't concentrate with noise, but in tennis excuses are common.

I think this is a heritage from the time when tennis (and golf) was a sport for snobs, and not for the common man.
The excuses, well often players areasked right after a match, and what could they say really?
The ball is round
in and out
to and from
bla bla bla.

*** to analysee why you lost or won a tennis match on this level, you need more time, and, if you found out, you might as well better not tell the rest of the world