PDA

View Full Version : If Venus or Serena lose early ...

Volcana
May 26th, 2004, 07:09 PM
.. and that's a BIG 'if', I'm going to keep my fingers clenched and I'm I'm not going to write a blessed word beyond 'good match' to whoever beat them.

The stuff that's being written after Justine's loss is just too absurd. If not having her endurance back after recovering from a viral infection had no bearing on the match, if playing no red clay tune-ups had no bearing onther match, then sprained ankles and bad knees have no beraing either. If you can be 'over-rated after winning three slams, then you can be over-rated after wining four, or winning six.

Bookmark this thread, and shove it back in my face if I offer up one word of defense for Venus or Serena.

Venus, I love you, and if you knew me, you'd know you're my fave forever, but this is all I can do in response to this crap.

Now go out there, trounce you next fouir opponents, then pay back Serena for every time she borrowed your clothes without asking! And then, you and Amelie can have 'Revenge of the 1st Round 2002 RG Losers'!

Seenus
May 26th, 2004, 07:12 PM
go wash your fingers!

Eurotennisfan
May 26th, 2004, 07:13 PM
.. and that's a BIG 'if', I'm going to keep my fingers clenched and I'm I'm not going to write a blessed word beyond 'good match' to whoever beat them.

The stuff that's being written after Justine's loss is just too absurd. If not having her endurance back after recovering from a viral infection had no bearing on the match, if playing no red clay tune-ups had no bearing onther match, then sprained ankles and bad knees have no beraing either. If you can be 'over-rated after winning three slams, then you can be over-rated after wining four, or winning six.

Bookmark this thread, and shove it back in my face if I offer up one word of defense for Venus or Serena.

Venus, I love you, and if you knew me, you'd know you're my fave forever, but this is all I can do in response to this crap.

Now go out there, trounce you next fouir opponents, then pay back Serena for every time she borrowed your clothes without asking! And then, you and Amelie can have 'Revenge of the 1st Round 2002 RG Losers'!

good post.

The Crow
May 26th, 2004, 07:32 PM

You actually sound surprised lol. How long are you on this messageboard? ;)

Btw when one of the Williams sisters would lose early, you would see the same kind of crap on this board. Only the instigators/defenders would switch place probably ;)

Paneru
May 26th, 2004, 07:38 PM
The level of immaturity around hear
is laughable.

victory1
May 26th, 2004, 07:38 PM

Btw when one of the Williams sisters would lose early, you would see the same kind of crap on this board. Only the instigators/defenders would switch place probably ;)We saw it 2 weeks ago when Serena lost to Capriati. Henin fans where unbearable, especially Chelsea. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DA FOREHAND
May 26th, 2004, 07:41 PM
When you line up across the net you are in affect saying you are ready to compete, you take the bitter w/the sweet. No I'm only 15, I was tired, my feelings were hurt, you win or lose on the court.

justine used unsporting conduct enroute to her French Open triumph last year(the sweet),and was crushed two weeks later at Wimbledon( the bitter).

Venus has taken her fair share of lumps in her career, and even this year, now it's justine and her fans turn. W/out the lows the highs aren't as sweet.

pualeez
May 26th, 2004, 07:47 PM
But how can a lot of people on this board and commentators like Hingis pick Justine as a favorite to win the 2004 RG for the past few days and then come back when she lost and say she was not ready or she lost due to her layoff, or not match tough.

Clearly, in this case a lot of people did OVERRATE her and her ability, that she could come off a month or longer layoff and be able to compete and win a Grand Slam.

dreamgoddess099
May 26th, 2004, 07:53 PM
But how can a lot of people on this board and commentators like Hingis pick Justine as a favorite to win the 2004 RG for the past few days and then come back when she lost and say she was not ready or she lost due to her layoff, or not match tough.

Clearly, in this case a lot of people did OVERRATE her and her ability, that she could come off a month or longer layoff and be able to compete and win a Grand Slam.I agree. Picking Justine over players with much better clay results was stupid. She is not Serena; she can't come off 8 months leave and win a tournament just like that.

DA FOREHAND
May 26th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Hardcourts are Serena's best surface she comes back after eight months off and wins the fifth biggest event on the calendar. *She never had to face Tatiana Garbin though.

justine takes 1/4th of that time off comes back plays on her favorite surface struggles against formerly retired new mom Sandrine...then goes out in str8ts to *Tatiana Garbin......GO FIGURE.:wavey:

bandabou
May 26th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Difference is: No one is giving either sister ANY chance whatsoever to winning the tournament. Justine was the FAVOURITE, ask Wertheim...big difference.

Rocketta
May 26th, 2004, 08:09 PM
I have to agree...Volcana..

I mean people really give it a rest..I'm all for being excited over a Justine loss but I'd rather it be after she's healthy and to my fav not under these circumstances. This proves nothing. We don't know what shape she's in or how well she will do because she's coming back from illness. I suspect it's going to take her less time to get her legs under her than most since it's not an injury she's coming back from and she doesn't have to think or worry about re-injuring anything out there.

I just wish some people would stop running their mouths so much but I don't control anyone but myself so I ignore most like I do when V & S lose a match.

The Crow
May 26th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Good post Rocketta (well except for the "I'm all for being excited over a Justine loss" of course :p)!

Rocketta
May 26th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Good post Rocketta (well except for the "I'm all for being excited over a Justine loss" of course :p)!
:lol:

opps, sorry! :o

I was just trying to be honest. ;) I'm glad you got the jist of my post though. :wavey:

Joana
May 26th, 2004, 08:27 PM
I have to agree...Volcana..

I mean people really give it a rest..I'm all for being excited over a Justine loss but I'd rather it be after she's healthy and to my fav not under these circumstances. This proves nothing. We don't know what shape she's in or how well she will do because she's coming back from illness. I suspect it's going to take her less time to get her legs under her than most since it's not an injury she's coming back from and she doesn't have to think or worry about re-injuring anything out there.

I just wish some people would stop running their mouths so much but I don't control anyone but myself so I ignore most like I do when V & S lose a match.
That's very well said. :yeah:
Love your avatars BTW.

"Topaz"
May 26th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Very strange! Everybody here seems to have good points. Everybody seems to be right from one point of view or the other. Ahhh... slams will do it to you, guys.

Let's keep on watching. I have the feeling some nerve-wrecking stuffs are yet to be unveiled in both men's and women's fields.

:cool:

Pureracket
May 26th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Funny thing is: The only "moralists" in situations where other fans lose are the Williams fans. I don't think I've ever seen where one of the fans of the other players' camps reprimanded their fans for posting negative Williams threads whenever one of the Sisters loses.

However, whenever another top player loses, there is always a thread diffusing the glib that the Williams fans (or others) have.

I don't necessarily celebrate the loss of other players because I like Venus and Serena the most when they "tough out" wins against the other top players; however, I damn sure ain't gonna stop others from celebrating these same losses being that no one seems to stop people from celebrating whenever the Sisters lose(I know that this whole paragraph is redundant).

It's cool that we excercise our moral upbringing, but the practise should be reciprocal. On this message board, it's not.

DelMonte
May 26th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Btw when one of the Williams sisters would lose early, you would see the same kind of crap on this board. Only the instigators/defenders would switch place probably ;)

Exactly!

Infiniti2001
May 26th, 2004, 09:47 PM
We saw it 2 weeks ago when Serena lost to Capriati. Henin fans where unbearable, especially Chelsea. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You don't say!! Notice the above mentioned is conspicuously absent. I guess s/he is deflated. Nothing to say now ehhh? :tape:

SJW
May 26th, 2004, 10:04 PM
actually, i didn't think the board after Justine's loss was that bad

then again, i didn't bother reading anybody elses comments really...

DeDe4925
May 26th, 2004, 10:12 PM

Thank you for telling the truth, like it should be told. Some people are just way too diplomatic. What's the point of having a sports favorite if you can't rub a little salt into the wound every now and then? As long as it doesn't get personal between the rubber and rubbee, or get past talking about the game of the sports figure. What in the hell is wrong with sellin' wolf tickets, as they call it in my neck of the woods. That's the whole fun. Geez.

DA FOREHAND
May 26th, 2004, 10:15 PM
:worship: Thank you for telling the truth, like it should be told. Some people are just way too diplomatic. What's the point of having a sports favorite if you can't rub a little salt into the wound every now and then? As long as it doesn't get personal between the rubber and rubbee, or get past talking about the game of the sports figure. What in the hell is wrong with sellin' wolf tickets, as they call it in my neck of the woods. That's the whole fun. Geez.
:worship: :p

DeDe4925
May 26th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Funny thing is: The only "moralists" in situations where other fans lose are the Williams fans. I don't think I've ever seen where one of the fans of the other players' camps reprimanded their fans for posting negative Williams threads whenever one of the Sisters loses.

However, whenever another top player loses, there is always a thread diffusing the glib that the Williams fans (or others) have.

I don't necessarily celebrate the loss of other players because I like Venus and Serena the most when they "tough out" wins against the other top players; however, I damn sure ain't gonna stop others from celebrating these same losses being that no one seems to stop people from celebrating whenever the Sisters lose(I know that this whole paragraph is redundant).

It's cool that we excercise our moral upbringing, but the practise should be reciprocal. On this message board, it's not.
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Foot_Fault
May 26th, 2004, 10:20 PM
actually, i didn't think the board after Justine's loss was that bad

then again, i didn't bother reading anybody elses comments really...
thats because all the moderators were ARMED with their ZAP-A-THREAD gun!:eek: :armed:

WF4EVER
May 26th, 2004, 10:44 PM
I liked your post, Volcana, although for the most part I was lucky(?) to miss the nasty threads since I'm only reading now.

I do look forward to the Final between Mauresmo and Venus in the battle of the 2001 1st RD RG losers. I really wanted this as a final in 2001 because they were both my favorites at the time, but it couldn't happen then. Also, Venus has had to forfeit two finals on clay to Mauresmo (2002 Warsaw and 2004 Berlin), so I'm hoping that they can both make the final this time and both will be healthy. Of course I'm rooting for Venus all the way, but Mauresmo is my second choice to win if Venus can't.

Re what happened to JHH today. After her match vs Testud and those stats I thought she'd just have to pick it up and she might survive until the 2nd week. I didn't expect Garbin to actually beat her even tho I said to myself that if Tax played her like she played Venus in 2001 losing 6 and 5 (Miami? or IW) and JHH played as badly as she did vs Sandrine that Tax might have a shot. What were the chances of that happening, huh?

I feel bad for Justine, tho, evn though I didn't want her to win (I want Venus to win) but I was kinda shocked that she couldn't fight back after getting that 3-2 break. I don't believe she's physically as well as she could be, obviously she's been practising a lot, but it just wasn't enough. The same thing happened to her in 2002? when she lost to Kapros in the 1st Round. Just unfortunate. I hope she gets well soon and will be fine for Wimby at least.

Infiniti2001
May 26th, 2004, 10:51 PM

Your check is in the mail :p :lol:

1jackson2001
May 26th, 2004, 11:31 PM
nice post

Freewoman33
May 26th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Volcana, you ain't said nothing but a word.

cheesestix
May 27th, 2004, 01:32 AM
Morality?

That's funny.

This whole board is a perpetual catfight! Justine loses - Williams fans come out in droves to harass and rub it in. Williams loses - non-Williams fans come out in droves to harass and rub it in. Back and forth. Back and forth. When will it end?

There may have been ONE Williams fan to try and take some semblance of a moral highground, but the other 99% DO NOT!!!!!!!

It's really funny to see people (and I use the term loosely) like DeMond praising that post, when they don't live by any code of ethics in that regard. Do you think that by association that makes you any better? How stupid do you look to harass one minute and then act like you have some kind of morality the next minute by praising that post?

Btw, DeMond, nice TRUCE (remember that one) that you proposed (which I accepted)!!!!!!!!!!! How surprising that you didn't keep your word!!!!!! First chance you get to get in my business, you only reply to me....hmmm...I don't know.....about 4 or 5 times in one thread???? Yeah, nice truce! Liar.

Oh, and I loved what you said about "rubbing salt in the wound" (or something like that) and "not getting personal". Not getting personal? That's funny! I guess calling people racist (attacking character) because they don't like Venus and Serena isn't trying to get personal? I guess talking about someone's mom (and you're ALWAYS the first to do that) isn't trying to get personal? Not that your low blows mean anything, but you DO try to get personal. It pisses you off when a Williams loses, and you can't handle it! You've even admitted to being a poor sport!

Bottom line is, Williams fans aren't any better than anyone else's fans. Just because ONE may try to take some moral highground, it certainly doesn't seem to rub off on the rest of them. So don't sit there and act like it's everyone else that's the problem. Are some of you that ignorant? It's a perpetual argument.

BTW, I realize that I haven't necessarily taken the moral highground either....but, I DON'T ACT like I have!

slydevil6142
May 27th, 2004, 03:33 AM
Simple facts: Justine is no longer in the tournment.... Venus and Serena are ... doesnt mean either of them will win but until they lose they still have a shot...... what ppl say on this message board doesnt effect the play of any player... doesnt have any impact on the game... I think some ppl think we have alot more power than we do they play tennis we watch tennis we discuss what we saw ... no more complicated no less complicated... no need for anyone to take things personally..

P.S Justine will be fine as she hops aboard her airplane and goes shopping with the millions of dollars she earns a year.

DeDe4925
May 27th, 2004, 03:35 AM
Morality?

That's funny.

This whole board is a perpetual catfight! Justine loses - Williams fans come out in droves to harass and rub it in. Williams loses - non-Williams fans come out in droves to harass and rub it in. Back and forth. Back and forth. When will it end?

There may have been ONE Williams fan to try and take some semblance of a moral highground, but the other 99% DO NOT!!!!!!!

It's really funny to see people (and I use the term loosely) like DeMond praising that post, when they don't live by any code of ethics in that regard. Do you think that by association that makes you any better? How stupid do you look to harass one minute and then act like you have some kind of morality the next minute by praising that post?

Btw, DeMond, nice TRUCE (remember that one) that you proposed (which I accepted)!!!!!!!!!!! How surprising that you didn't keep your word!!!!!! First chance you get to get in my business, you only reply to me....hmmm...I don't know.....about 4 or 5 times in one thread???? Yeah, nice truce! Liar.

Oh, and I loved what you said about "rubbing salt in the wound" (or something like that) and "not getting personal". Not getting personal? That's funny! I guess calling people racist (attacking character) because they don't like Venus and Serena isn't trying to get personal? I guess talking about someone's mom (and you're ALWAYS the first to do that) isn't trying to get personal? Not that your low blows mean anything, but you DO try to get personal. It pisses you off when a Williams loses, and you can't handle it! You've even admitted to being a poor sport!

Bottom line is, Williams fans aren't any better than anyone else's fans. Just because ONE may try to take some moral highground, it certainly doesn't seem to rub off on the rest of them. So don't sit there and act like it's everyone else that's the problem. Are some of you that ignorant? It's a perpetual argument.

BTW, I realize that I haven't necessarily taken the moral highground either....but, I DON'T ACT like I have!
Are you a complete idiot, or just a partial one? I didn't praise Volcana's post. In fact, my post was the complete opposite. That kind of shoots a hole in your theory about every other post you've read, because obviously you have a hard time comprehending and reading at the same time. Retard. :smash:

P.S. I only talk about your mama.

WtaTour4Ever
May 27th, 2004, 06:10 AM
Great Post....!!! Wish more of us Williams Fans acted this way. But I'll take as many as we can get.

WtaTour4Ever
May 27th, 2004, 06:11 AM
For the record I thought that the board response wasn't that bad when Serena lost to JCap, but it could be b/c I didn't read to many threads...so!

cheesestix
May 27th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Are you a complete idiot, or just a partial one? I didn't praise Volcana's post. In fact, my post was the complete opposite. That kind of shoots a hole in your theory about every other post you've read, because obviously you have a hard time comprehending and reading at the same time. Retard. :smash:

P.S. I only talk about your mama.

You praised Pureracket's post, which said that only Williams fans are moral!

Dumbass!!!!!!!!!!

mandy7
May 27th, 2004, 12:45 PM
If Venus or Serena lose early ...

i'd be kinda happy ;)

Volcana
Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:28 AM
Congrats to the Final Four. Play well.