PDA

View Full Version : an Objective look at Serena's acting

Eurotennisfan
May 26th, 2004, 04:53 PM
I have said many times that I like Serena. She makes the WTA tour what it is. Having seen some clips of her acting last night; I have to say that objectively and honestly she is a poor actress.

jrm
May 26th, 2004, 05:50 PM
I'm not suprised ...

dreamgoddess099
May 26th, 2004, 06:45 PM
I have said many times that I like Serena. She makes the WTA tour what it is. Having seen some clips of her acting last night; I have to say that objectively and honestly she is a poor actress.Although I don't think anybody expects her to be winning an Oscar anytime soon, I think she can and is getting better. Having said that; she didn't win her first match on tour either, but that didn't stop her from trying and later going on to win multiple grandslams. Serena's acting will improve as long as she keeps striving to get better at it.

vogus
May 26th, 2004, 08:47 PM
with the obvious difference being that Serena started out with LOADS of natural talent as a tennis player/athlete, whereas she has no more talent than the average Jane as an actress/artiste.

Helen Lawson
May 26th, 2004, 08:49 PM
She is not trained as an actress. You cannot wing it and be good. People think you can just show up and memorize lines and be brilliant. My favorite is when some starlet comes up to me and gushes at what a legend I am and then wants the "secret" to "breaking into" Hollywood and Broadway, like you can do it with no effort, no work, and no talent. I hate people like that. I don't go up to my plastic surgeon and ask how how I can "break into" the plastic surgery field. No one comes up to Serena and asks how they can "break into" tennis!

You need lessons, hard work, and talent. Serena has not done much if anything on (1) and (2) for acting, and who knows about (3). Singing and dance lessons would really help her also, they build acting confidence even if you do not ever plan to sing and dance. I would offer my service to Serena, I would teach her "I'll Plant My Own Tree." Can you imagine Serena dodging that Calder mobile while in mid-tune? She had a good face, has an animated face, and is a natural ham. In other words, I do see a future in acting for her, but she's not going to make it to the dizzying heights of acting superstadom doing it between tournaments.

bandabou
May 26th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Great news for the tennisfans, I guess!

croat123
May 26th, 2004, 08:53 PM
she is getting better, her acting isn't great, but she does well in small roles

AjdeNate!
May 26th, 2004, 08:55 PM
She doesn't "make" the shows that she appears in, but she doesn't kill them either. Just somewhere in the middle I suppose.

Evonne Goolagong
May 26th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Well, like all new actresses, Serena will be better at some roles than others. Some people are good at emotional scenes and others aren't. This is what I think of her acting that I have seen so far,

Law & Order SVU - The role was too short, I think she had maybe three lines in one scene.

My Wife & Kids - She did good, she was actually quite funny.

The Division - She was terrible in this role, it just didn't suit her.

Street Time - She was very good in the role, and believable.

croat123
May 26th, 2004, 09:06 PM
i agree, she was good in street time

Mrs. Peel
May 26th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Although I don't think anybody expects her to be winning an Oscar anytime soon, I think she can and is getting better. Having said that; she didn't win her first match on tour either, but that didn't stop her from trying and later going on to win multiple grandslams. Serena's acting will improve as long as she keeps striving to get better at it.
:bounce: :bigclap:

Nobody's Perfecc
May 26th, 2004, 09:14 PM
I agree. Her acting is very stiff and awkward. I think that she will improve bit by bit, but she's no future Halle Berry. Get your priorities(and talents) straight, Serena. :p

*JR*
May 26th, 2004, 09:18 PM
She is not trained as an actress. You cannot wing it and be good. People think you can just show up and memorize lines and be brilliant. My favorite is when some starlet comes up to me and gushes at what a legend I am and then wants the "secret" to "breaking into" Hollywood and Broadway, like you can do it with no effort, no work, and no talent. I hate people like that. I don't go up to my plastic surgeon and ask how how I can "break into" the plastic surgery field. No one comes up to Serena and asks how they can "break into" tennis!

You need lessons, hard work, and talent. Serena has not done much if anything on (1) and (2) for acting, and who knows about (3). Singing and dance lessons would really help her also, they build acting confidence even if you do not ever plan to sing and dance. I would offer my service to Serena, I would teach her "I'll Plant My Own Tree." Can you imagine Serena dodging that Calder mobile while in mid-tune? She had a good face, has an animated face, and is a natural ham. In other words, I do see a future in acting for her, but she's not going to make it to the dizzying heights of acting superstadom doing it between tournaments.

:worship:

spokenword73
May 26th, 2004, 09:22 PM
I have said many times that I like Serena. She makes the WTA tour what it is. Having seen some clips of her acting last night; I have to say that objectively and honestly she is a poor actress.

:D

dreamgoddess099
May 26th, 2004, 09:22 PM
You need lessons, hard work, and talent. Serena has not done much if anything on (1) and (2) for acting, and who knows about (3). Singing and dance lessons would really help her also, they build acting confidence even if you do not ever plan to sing and dance. Serena takes acting lessons, she doesn't sing yet (her mom and sisters can sing so it wouldn’t be surprising if she had a little singing talent herself) but she does play guitar, and she loves to dance. So she acts, plays music, and dances. She actually wants to be a choreographer some day. Also, Serena goes out on auditions for roles instead of just relying on her celebrity to get her roles. I personally would like to see her do a little theatre so she can get a feel for acting in front of a live audience.

tennisIlove09
May 26th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Obviously she's not doing that poorly, or she wouldn't get more roles :)

Helen Lawson
May 26th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Theatre is very good experience, but is a lot harder than making a film or tv spot but that is what really teaches you all the good basics. It is a big time commitment that she probably cannot do. I hope she has a decent acting coach and is not learning that "method" shit that took over in the 50's. I imagine Serena going to an audition is like Tori Spelling going to an audition, but she is willing to do small parts, that is good for someone starting out.

Sportfan
May 26th, 2004, 10:25 PM
Why judge her so harshly Serena is neither the best or worst actress I have ever seen I believe she will only get better the more parts she gets and the amount of work she puts into improving and even with that not every actor or actress is suited to a particular role.

Vechelaux
May 26th, 2004, 10:33 PM
I have never seen her act, but I think anyone who is not an actor who tries to do acting will always burst into flames.

*JR*
May 26th, 2004, 10:39 PM
She just dumped IMG this year, who Didn't Do jack for her anyway! (The Nike deal was negotiated by her NYC lawyer). Serena is now With William Morris, Who Will get her the best Theatrical Teachers in Hollywood. A little Patience, Please?

cheesestix
May 27th, 2004, 02:03 AM
I've never seen her act, so I couldn't say.

However, she's going to get gigs because she's famous and popular, not necessarily because she's a great actress.

Look at some of the famous athletes that have gotten acting/movie gigs, and then tell me they're good actors: Brian Bosworth in Stone Cold, Dennis Rodman in Double Team, Wilt Chamberlain in Conan The Destroyer (actually, he wasn't bad, but he didn't talk much either)....need I go on?

Frankly, though, some Serena fans talk like she walks on water, so I seriously doubt they'd ever be objective about it anyway. She may be decent, but I've never seen her acting.

Fantastic
May 27th, 2004, 03:44 PM
I still maintain that, if she wanted to, Venus would be the better actress. When she and Serena were paired together to present an MTV Music Award, they had to act out a dialogue and Venus was by far the more natural of the two. Serena appeared stage struck and uncertain. Venus was completely at ease and convincing. Introverted people make the best actors and actresses - that's Venus all over.