PDA

View Full Version : Zvonareva vs Sharapova

Volcana
May 26th, 2004, 02:31 PM
First of all, ESPN might show this one. Two blonde Russians

The Siberian Shrieker ran Rita Grande out of the house, but Zvonareva had the better clay court season, and the extensive preparation. Zvonareva goes into this match with a huge edge in experience, which she almost never does.

Zvonareva beat Schnyder, Smashnova-Pistolesi, Schiavone on clay this year. Lost to Venus, Justine, Fabiola.

Shaparova beat Mandula and Dementieva, lost to Farina Elia and Capriati.

In the few minutes ESPN showed of Sharapova, she was taking HUGE rips at the ball. And showing no variety at all. Strictly power, power, power, and occassionally less power if she wasn't balanced properly. After getting whacked around by Venus, Justine and Amelie this spring, this should seem very familiar to Girl-At-Her-Volcano.

Sharapova has a weapon Kournikova had to. The 'glamour girl' treatment ticks off some of the other players. And Zvonareva is eminently tick-off-able.

They played in the Memphis semi, Zvonareva winning 7-6(5) 6-2

On paper, Zvonareva in a struggle. Of course, they play on dirt. :)

Total clay court records this year are below.

Zvonareva
----------
Amelia Island... 32 W Tina PISNIK (SLO) 6-3 1-6 7-5
Amelia Island... 16 W Patty SCHNYDER (SUI) 6-2 6-3
Amelia Island... QF L HENIN-HARDENNE (BEL) 4-6 3-6
Charleston...... 32 W Severine BELTRAME (FRA) 6-4 6-0
Charleston...... 16 W SMASHNOVA-PISTOLESI (ISR) 6-0 3-6 6-3
Charleston...... QF L Venus WILLIAMS (USA) 3-6 4-6
Fed Cup......... R4 W Samantha STOSUR (AUS) 6-2 6-3
Warsaw.......... 16 W Lenka NEMECKOVA (CZE) 6-1 6-3
Warsaw.......... QF W Anna SMASHNOVA-PISTOLESI (ISR) 6-3 7-5
Warsaw.......... SF L Venus WILLIAMS (USA) 3-6 2-6
Berlin.......... 64 W Tatiana PEREBIYNIS (UKR) 6-3 6-4
Berlin.......... 32 L Fabiola ZULUAGA (COL) 1-6 7-6(2) 1-6
Rome............ 32 W Dinara SAFINA (RUS) 1-6 6-4 6-2
Rome............ 16 W Elena BOVINA (RUS) 6-3 6-0
Rome............ QF W Francesca SCHIAVONE (ITA) 6-3 6-3
Rome............ SF L Amelie MAURESMO (FRA) 2-6 3-6

Sharapova
---------
Berlin.......... 64 W Dinara SAFINA (RUS) 6-1 1-6 6-3
Berlin.......... 32 W Petra MANDULA (HUN) 5-4 Retired
Berlin.......... 16 L Jennifer CAPRIATI (USA) 7-5 4-6 1-6
Rome............ 64 W Tatiana PEREBIYNIS (UKR) 6-4 7-5
Rome............ 32 W Elena DEMENTIEVA (RUS) 6-1 6-4
Rome............ 16 L Silvia FARINA ELIA (ITA) 6-7(3) 0-6

grmbl
May 26th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Vera!!

Spunky83
May 26th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Íf Vera gets over her stomach aches/nauseas (or whatever it was which hindered her play today), I´d say Vera.

the cat
May 26th, 2004, 02:38 PM
I will be rooting for Maria, but I think Vera will win a topsy turvy 3 set match.

Asfor their match in Memphis, Masha was recovering from a bout with the flu and wasn't 100%. That won't be the case this time. But Vera is a tougher girl than Masha is and is a more experienced player as well. And Ver'a toughness and experience should pull her through in 3 sets.

Dava
May 26th, 2004, 02:39 PM
I say Vera, cause she is the better play (atm), and Sharapova never looks at ease on the dirt. I just hope Vera can get over he tummy bug.

Warrior
May 26th, 2004, 02:46 PM
I hope ESPN will show this. It should be an interesting match.

- L i n a -
May 26th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Vera 7-5 6-2

caramel
May 26th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Vera unless she starts to cry when Maria screams to loud. :devil:
Come on Vera, blast her off the court for throwing Rita out of RG.

TheBoiledEgg
May 26th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Vera's been struggling with a stomach bug going around :(

hope she's 100% on Friday :)

Beat
May 26th, 2004, 02:50 PM
i truly hope maria.

Knizzle
May 26th, 2004, 02:52 PM
I think Maria will win.

LindsayRocks89
May 26th, 2004, 03:01 PM
i think Maria will win also, good luck to her :bounce:

Cam'ron Giles
May 26th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Maria did a poor job on her last song...I say Fantasia will win this one...:retard:

Epigone
May 26th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Vera will show people the difference between talent and hype. As long as the stomach bug doesn't knock her around and she can keep her crying to a minimum, Vera should win.

LindsayRocks89
May 26th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Vera will show people the difference between talent and hype. As long as the stomach bug doesn't knock her around and she can keep her crying to a minimum, Vera should win.

If you're saying Maria doesn't have talent, then you obviously don't know what talent is, shes younger and still has to change things, obviously Vera is also talented and has alot more experience, should be exciting..................

Volcana
May 26th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Vera 7-5 6-2I thought you left this board because we all failed to acknowledge your brilliance and superiority.

This forum is filled with unknowledgeable posters, and I think I will leave now. (http://wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=116291)

Short trip. :)

- L i n a -
May 26th, 2004, 03:16 PM
I thought you left this board because we all failed to acknowledge your brilliance and superiority.

This forum is filled with unknowledgeable posters, and I think I will leave now. (http://wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=116291)

Short trip. :)
No.

It was for not being respectful of my quality posting.

Fortunately, for you, I was talked out of it by some.

LindsayRocks89
May 26th, 2004, 03:16 PM
pic of Vera and one of Maria
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/photo?slug=rog10705261047.france_tennis_french_ope n_rog107&prov=ap
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/photo?slug=rog13705261409.france_tennis_french_ope n_rog137&prov=ap

- L i n a -
May 26th, 2004, 03:18 PM
If you're saying Maria doesn't have talent, then you obviously don't know what talent is, shes younger and still has to change things, obviously Vera is also talented and has alot more experience, should be exciting..................
He's saying Vera is more talented than Masha.

I also wouldn't say Vera is much more experienced... she's only played one year longer than Masha on the tour.

It's not Vera's fault that she consistently gets to Tier I and II Quarterfinals... where Masha hasn't.

per4ever
May 26th, 2004, 03:19 PM
I hope Maria..

Epigone
May 26th, 2004, 03:19 PM
If you're saying Maria doesn't have talent, then you obviously don't know what talent is, shes younger and still has to change things, obviously Vera is also talented and has alot more experience, should be exciting..................I don't deny that Maria is talented, but before the draw was released, bookmakers were giving her better odds of winning than both Zvonareva and Petrova. That is what hype does. Sharapova had essentially no claycourt form, yet she was being given better odds than players who made the QF and SF last year. Vera has made the QF or better in 10 of her past 12 claycourt tournaments, yet people rate her behind Maria. All that I want is some objectivity :).

t_fan
May 26th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Sharapova has a weapon Kournikova had to. The 'glamour girl' treatment ticks off some of the other players. And Zvonareva is eminently tick-off-able.

I tend to agree with you on that. If Vera gets intimidated by Masha's power or goes off-balance mentally, she would probably lose in straight sets. Just look at how she played against Momo in Rome SF.

Hope Masha will win.

LindsayRocks89
May 26th, 2004, 03:21 PM
I don't deny that Maria is talented, but before the draw was released, bookmakers were giving her better odds of winning than both Zvonareva and Petrova. That is what hype does. Sharapova had essentially no claycourt form, yet she was being given better odds than players who made the QF and SF last year. Vera has made the QF or better in 10 of her past 12 claycourt tournaments, yet people rate her behind Maria. All that I want is some objectivity :).

k, i understand where you're coming from :kiss:

Vass22
May 26th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Duh! Vera in two sets! I can't imagine Maria winning this.

BK4ever
May 26th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Vera better take this...I hate all things hyperova and if she wins, the hype machine will be in overdrive :rolleyes:

daniela86
May 26th, 2004, 05:28 PM
I think Vera will win and if she hadn't her stomach bug,she should do it because she has more experience than Maria and because she loves playing this tournament and was lucky here! :D
Btw, I like both (a little bit more Vera) so I will cheer the winner in 1/8! :bounce:

the cat
May 26th, 2004, 06:53 PM
It's imperative that Maria gets off to a good fist pumping start in this match and shakes Vera's fragile confidence. That is Masha's best chance to cause the upset. If Mashara can turn this into a hitting match she has the advantage. But if Vera is in control and constructing points then she has the advantage.

V-MAC
May 26th, 2004, 07:06 PM
I hope Maria turns up prepared for this match...................and no i don't mean prepared as in with her game in check,prepared with a box of man-size tissues and a lifejacket:o

bozmanova
May 26th, 2004, 07:52 PM
i really hope maria wins!

Spunky83
May 26th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Oh, you guys should stop making fun of our lovely, fragile Vera...;)

foreva lindsay
May 26th, 2004, 08:39 PM
i think vera in 3 :)

LindsayRocks89
May 26th, 2004, 08:41 PM
I hope Maria turns up prepared for this match...................and no i don't mean prepared as in with her game in check,prepared with a box of man-size tissues and a lifejacket:o

:lol:

croat123
May 26th, 2004, 08:49 PM
vera easily. maria took advantage of two easy openning round opponents, but vera is too good for her on clay, 6-4 6-1

faboozadoo15
May 26th, 2004, 09:00 PM
sharapova should win this one. she's playing so well, and it's just time for her to make another move at a slam.

GO MARIA!

WF4EVER
May 26th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Vera is clearly the better clay court player, IMO. If she's over that bug by then I favour her greatly to win.

SharapovaFan16
May 26th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Don't let Maria get confidence, and get up on you. She knows how to kick you when ur are down. If she wins the first set I don't expect her to lose. She has killer instinct, and the draw is starting to open up. She can see that, and will take advantage. Maria in 3 sets 6-4,6-7(7-4),6-2

WorldWar24
May 26th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Sharapova, but only coz Vera is sick (that's why she was almost crying today)

beauty_is_pink
May 26th, 2004, 11:12 PM
GO VERA!! :D

switz
May 26th, 2004, 11:59 PM
depends which zvonareva shows up because she's very much a struggle one day, play brilliantly the next type of player. considering she battled with serna you would think her next match should be a good one, but i have a feeling sharapova might get it done this time.

Lucy
May 27th, 2004, 02:02 AM
maria!

cometz9
May 27th, 2004, 03:37 AM
Masha! Masha! Masha! She will avenge her loss to Vera in Memphis :yeah:

Chance
May 27th, 2004, 03:45 AM
if Vera hasn't recovered fully.. then Maria

Dawn Marie
May 27th, 2004, 03:58 AM
Vera will win as she is the better clay courter, yet she is a MENTAL madwoman at times as well. If her madness comes into play she may very well lose the match. It really depends on Vera's brain and what activity is displayed at that particular time. Let us hope she does not go off the boil.

I have a feeling that Vera will wrong foot Maria to a solid victory.

Gowza
May 27th, 2004, 04:17 AM
all this stuff about masha being to hyped, who cares, she is in the top 20 at 17 and isnt that far behind zvonareva, so far this tournament she has dispatched her opponents with extreme ease and zvonareva although having a great first round match (scoreline wise) did have such a good match in round 2, it has also been reported that vera had stomach cramps in that 2nd round match. vera may or may not be healthy for this match but whether she is healthy or not one thing is for sure, sharapova has a shot at winning it. vera probably has the mental edge in beating sharapova on her fav surface this year already and also clay being vera's fav surface and masha's least fav surface.

i think it will be a tight match and the winner is hard to pick so i am going to base my prediction on how each player has gone so far in this tournament. going by this i would say masha is my prediction to win but dont count out vera as she is a very good clay court player.

xcrtbckhnd
May 27th, 2004, 04:25 AM
I think Maria will win this. Vera has too much too lose and will feel the pressure early. Whoever starts well will win the match. I think Maria is the one with less to lose and will go out blasting away. It will be up to Vera to keep up with Maria's pace and handle it. I don't think Vera will do it this time.

VeraNuVirgosFan
May 27th, 2004, 04:45 AM
Masha all the way and always!!

Good Luck, Mademoiselle Sharapova!!

Masharapova
May 27th, 2004, 04:59 AM
Vera :sad:

4-6 6-3 6-1

But Good Luck Anyway :kiss: :hug:

VeraNuVirgosFan
May 27th, 2004, 10:00 AM
...In the few minutes ESPN showed of Sharapova, she was taking HUGE rips at the ball. And showing no variety at all. Strictly power, power, power, and occassionally less power if she wasn't balanced properly. After getting whacked around by Venus, Justine and Amelie this spring, this should seem very familiar to Girl-At-Her-Volcano...
"After getting whacked around by Venus, Justine and Amelie this spring" - 'This spring'?

*Jool*
May 27th, 2004, 10:08 AM
I think Masha will take off in this Slam. She or Suarez will reach the semis.

VeraNuVirgosFan
May 27th, 2004, 10:18 AM
I hope Maria turns up prepared for this match...................and no i don't mean prepared as in with her game in check,prepared with a box of man-size tissues...
Save the box of tissues for someone else because Masha doesn't cry easily.

To V-MAC, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Epigone
May 27th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Save the box of tissues for someone else because Masha doesn't cry easily.It was an inference that Vera is going to flood the court with tears :rolleyes:

VeraNuVirgosFan
May 27th, 2004, 10:27 AM
It was an inference that Vera is going to flood the court with tears
Thanks. I only got it when I saw the post below. I wanted to delete my post, but you already replied to me.
:lol:

sarza
May 27th, 2004, 10:54 AM
vera in 3 sets :)

BK4ever
May 27th, 2004, 10:55 AM
all this stuff about masha being to hyped, who cares, she is in the top 20 at 17 .
blah blah blah, lots of people could be where she is if the had the silver spoon call img in their mouth as well...:rolleyes:

vera better win or i'll be pissed off...the sooner hyperova loses the sooner the hype machine can be shut down :fiery:

the cat
May 27th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Lots of people, BK? Nyet! Maria's hard work and great drive has gotten her to where she is. But maybe IMG does help with the occasional photo shoot. ;) :p

Belgium = Best
May 27th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Sharapova :wavey:

apoet29
May 27th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Lots of people, BK? Nyet! Maria's hard work and great drive has gotten her to where she is. But maybe IMG does help with the occasional photo shoot. ;) :p
I totally agree. Yes, Maria is probably overhyped (although nothing compared to the Kournikova machine), but she had to win matches and work hard to get to where she is. Hype can't buy a player results; winning does that.

It is hard to say what will happen. Vera should go into this match with a lot of confidence, but if Maria is aggressive, then anything can happen.

t_fan
May 27th, 2004, 04:16 PM
blah blah blah, lots of people could be where she is if the had the silver spoon call img in their mouth as well...:rolleyes:
That's not her fault, bk, just chill out a bit ;)

vera better win or i'll be pissed off...the sooner hyperova loses the sooner the hype machine can be shut down :fiery:
Whether Masha wins or loses, hype machine operators will find a way to continue operating :lol:

Anna's example for that.

~|Naomi|~
May 28th, 2004, 04:52 AM
I don't think experience is going to play a big factor in this match, Sharapova doesn't seem to me to get fazed by the big arena. She has been more impressive in the tournament so far and Vera only just beat her in Memphis. Vera has definately played more than Sharapova on clay this year but when Maria has been able to play she hasn't lost ot anyone bad, Capriati and Farina (in Italy).

I think Maria, she is due for a breakthrough slam performance and this may be it:)

pav
May 28th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Vera I've been nervous as hell all this long day
about the match against Sharapova You're going to play
some say You're more experienced, and better on clay
but that churn in My guts, just won't go away
I know You handled Her ,when You both met last
forget about that, it's all in the past
and you have to admit, She gives the ball a good blast
some that don't like Her say that She's over-hyped
but go out thinking that, and Your card could get swiped
I hope when it's all over, the clay around You is dry
and You've played with the attitude of never say die
while I too am an admirer of young Masha
it will make My day if You go out and thrash Her
so many questions to ask
as You settle down to Your task
will You break down and cry
or keep Your eyes dry
will You hold serve and break Her
or will I need to buy an on-line pace-maker
so Vera I hope the stomach virus has gone
You'll go out, have a win, and prepare to move on
now I'd better go out ,find a way to settle my guts
or I'll spend the whole match in the bathroom and that'll drive Me nuts!

Epigone
May 28th, 2004, 07:02 AM
I don't think experience is going to play a big factor in this match, Sharapova doesn't seem to me to get fazed by the big arena. She has been more impressive in the tournament so far and Vera only just beat her in Memphis.:confused: 7-6(5) 6-2 is not "only just" beating her. Vera was down during the 1st set, as well as the 1st set TB, but fought back to win.

VeraNuVirgosFan
May 28th, 2004, 12:05 PM
...Vera was down during the 1st set, as well as the 1st set TB, but fought back to win [at Memphis].
I must say when I saw your post before they play the match today, I was relieved that Masha actually managed to lead the 1st set at Memphis (I'd thought Vera was leading all the way). Your post made me think that Masha would have a chance to win, but I didn't want to write anything at the time because I didn't want to talk about Vera "fought back to win" (I think it would be a bad luck for Masha if I said it).

VeraNuVirgosFan
May 28th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Thank you very much to all the posters who have voted for Sharapova!!

All of us are part of her victory today!

Thank you again for believing in Maria!

Epigone
May 28th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Vera is incredibly inconsistent. Sometimes she will win the 1st set 6-1 or 6-2, then fall away. Other times, like in the 1st set of both her 2nd and 3rd round matches, she went down a double break straight away. It makes her fans just want to :banghead:

~|Naomi|~
May 28th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Well sorry I remembered it as 3 sets:o
But still Maria won. She has to work on her defensive game though, when she is on the attack she looks great but when she isn't she struggles, but a semi spot is possible, even if she won't have to beat a top 10er to get there:o

faboozadoo15
May 28th, 2004, 08:08 PM
i'm not going to look to far ahead for maria bc hell, even weingartner is tough... but paola can be handled. she needs to serve better for that match. and that's a semi :eek: goodness, and on her worst surface!