PDA

View Full Version : Amelie will NOT win Roland Garros

GoDominique
May 26th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Doesn't matter if she wins this match or not.

As soon as her opponent wins a few games, Amelie becomes a nervous wreck. All her shots begin to look shaky and stressful, her forehand goes into the net 9 out of 10 times, she plays way too passive, just trying to keep the ball in play (which makes her even more nervous and shaky), she double-faults.

And I don't see how this could change in the later rounds. She just can't deal with the pressure.
She might reach QF or SF, but as soon as she meets a top-player in good form, she will go down badly, like last year.

Ballbuster
May 26th, 2004, 02:12 PM
It is no secret she can be a basket case out there. Mentally, this girl just can't cut it.

volta
May 26th, 2004, 02:14 PM
yes. every1 says that she´s a fav to win this but she just can´t handle the pressure she can win RG but i wont bet my money on her.

Chance
May 26th, 2004, 02:16 PM
hmm if she gets through this match, maybe she will learn how to cope with the pressure..

you just never know...

Sonja
May 26th, 2004, 02:44 PM
This is typical second set behavior from Amélie, happens everywhere, not just France.

Also, it won't be the end of the world if she doesn't win here. Life will go on. :)

Ballbuster
May 26th, 2004, 02:47 PM
This is typical second set behavior from Amélie, happens everywhere, not just France.

Also, it won't be the end of the world if she doesn't win here. Life will go on. :)

That's for sure, we've seen her past behavior, and its not pretty.

- L i n a -
May 26th, 2004, 02:53 PM
If we would have to start a thread for each player who won't win the French...
There's already enough threads on Venus.

GoDominique
May 26th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Never "would" in if-sentences. :)

foreva lindsay
May 26th, 2004, 02:55 PM
amelie may not but lindsay will ;)

mauresmofan
May 26th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Amélie now has a 1 in 32 chance to win the French - that's the only fact in this thread.

Beat
May 26th, 2004, 02:57 PM
As soon as her opponent wins a few games, Amelie becomes a nervous wreck. All her shots begin to look shaky and stressful, her forehand goes into the net 9 out of 10 times, she plays way too passive, just trying to keep the ball in play (which makes her even more nervous and shaky), she double-faults.

sounds like a description of jennifer capriati's match yesterday to me... :o

SpikeyAidanm
May 26th, 2004, 02:58 PM
I dont like Amelie but making judgements that a player won't win the title because of a sluggish match is not what you look for in potential winners.

Just take Kuerten's 01 major struggle vs Russell in r4, proves that sometimes players need matches where they don't play their best tennis in order to advance further in the tournament, same can be said to Serena 02 Wimbledon (7-6 7-6 vs Callens..)

lizchris
May 26th, 2004, 03:02 PM

And I don't see how this could change in the later rounds. She just can't deal with the pressure.
She might reach QF or SF, but as soon as she meets a top-player in good form, she will go down badly, like last year.
This is one time I agree with you.:eek:

GoDominique
May 26th, 2004, 03:04 PM
I dont like Amelie but making judgements that a player won't win the title because of a sluggish match is not what you look for in potential winners.

Just take Kuerten's 01 major struggle vs Russell in r4, proves that sometimes players need matches where they don't play their best tennis in order to advance further in the tournament, same can be said to Serena 02 Wimbledon (7-6 7-6 vs Callens..)
That's true.

The difference is that Serena and Guga both had won slams already.
Amelie hasn't. And she has been nervous before.
She has to prove that she has changed something, that she's not nervous this time.

But she IS nervous again, that's why I think it will be a similar story as in previous years.

mauresmofan
May 26th, 2004, 03:08 PM
They don't hand the trophy out after the second round - Amélie just has to focus on one match at a time. Petrova looks the strongest in the top half of the draw and a threat for the title but she has never even won a singles tournament!

Hulet
May 26th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Pfff@GoDominique. You have to go on and create this thread.:rolleyes: This thread by itself will guarantee that Amelie would win. ;)

bandabou
May 26th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Hmmm.....got the game, but the nerves?! Nope....

KingA
May 26th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Will see.... Amelie sure wasn't playing her 100% in the rd 2 match... and lots of the top players won't be playing their best in the early rounds....

I still believe Amelie has a great chance to win here...... the draw is wide open now.... she is clearly the favourite in the top half of the draw..... I believe there will be a Russian Semi-finalist from the first quarter of the draw now.... and Amelie has a good record against all the Russians.....

Mikey
May 26th, 2004, 04:51 PM
But in her defense, Justine did the same thing for a while until the big Berlin final when she choked but then came back anyway - that combined with the Davenport match at the Australian Open.

Amelie just needs a good match like that to prove herself - who knows? Maybe the Rome matches against Farina-Elia and Capriati were enough to lift her confidence and tell her what to do in those tight situations? I still think that she has a good chance, given that nobody in her half is really that threatening. Lindsay beat her at Amelia Island, but can be exploited on clay (see Strasbourg). Paola Suarez and Elena Dementieva are the only other two candidates, given that Paola's excellent on clay and Dementieva is recovering her form and dead beat Amelie at Toronto last yera.

I'd still say Amelie can make it to the final (though if Lindsay did instead, I'd be more pleased, but still :p), but I don't know if she can beat a Williams sister, that remains to be seen.

GermanBoy
May 26th, 2004, 04:53 PM
BECAUSE: She`ll lose to Lindsay in quarterfinals... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

hewittrok
May 26th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Now that Justine is out, now shes the favorite to win......that equals more pressure which comes out to losing before the final.

Linnie
May 26th, 2004, 05:27 PM

Also, it won't be the end of the world if she doesn't win here. Life will go on. :)Agreed.

Geez, folks, it's only the second round. Better now to work things out than in the later rounds.

LindsayRocks89
May 26th, 2004, 07:41 PM
you can tell that win her match was getting close, she would look nervous and not play as well

GoDominique
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:44 PM
Elena played extremely well, so it would have been tough for Amelie anyway.
But she couldn't get her game going, many many UE's, although today the backhand was the bigger problem.

And yes, I bumped the other thread too. :p

raquel
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:48 PM
Elena played extremely well, so it would have been tough for Amelie anyway.
But she couldn't get her game going, many many UE's, although today the backhand was the bigger problem.

And yes, I bumped the other thread too. :p

:wavey: You couldn't have called it any better! Gets to the QF or SF but when she runs into a player in good form she will lose. Well done!

Any tips on this week's Euromillions lottery numbers? :p

VivalaSeles
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:50 PM
Unfortunately, you were right :sad: Dementieva played very well (except for her serving game at 5-2 2nd set). But Amélie was a shadow of herself :sad: She'll be back though :)

GoDominique
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:57 PM
Don't get me wrong, I was pretty optimistic that Amelie would win today.
I thought that the real test for her would only come in the final.

And normally my predictions are the shit, like Coria will not win Roland Garros. Vamos Carlos. ;)

selesfan87
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:02 PM

You do fortune telling? ;) :D