PDA

View Full Version : Venus' First USA Today Diary Entry!

tennisIlove09
May 26th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Venus battles through mental struggles in the first round

While in Paris for the French Open, American Venus Williams will send e-mails to USA TODAY describing her various daily experiences throughout the event.

To: USA TODAY readers

Subject: Focus

"I always watch the matches that are on before me. (Tuesday, Venus followed the Fabrice Santoro vs. Arnaud Clement match that lasted 6 hours, 33 minutes). With a match that dramatic, it was hard to refocus. After losing the first two games in my match, it became apparent to me that I was still thinking about Santoro and Clement. My opponent (Tamarine Tanasugarn of Thailand) did not waste any time in punishing me. I was able to get my focus back by telling myself, 'Hold your serve, Venus,' and then battle back for the break. Then I knew that it was time to pull out the notes, which I write to myself before the match to help me simplify. It worked like magic, because I won the next 10 games in a row making the score 6-2, 4-0. But then I became overconfident and went for shots that were not necessarily the right ones. My opponent won three straight games and was gaining momentum. I realized that I didn't want to be in the same situation as Santoro and Clement, so I strongly urged myself to close it out! (Venus won 6-2, 6-4).

Venus Williams' Web site is www.venuswilliams.com (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/french/www.venuswilliams.com).

Sportfan
May 26th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Thanks so glad vee is doing these diary entries hopefully focus won't be a problem tomorrow.

Infiniti2001
May 26th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Thanks, now this is the Venus I know.. While the other diary enteries on her site may be her thoughts, it's quite obvious she is not the one writing them :p

volta
May 26th, 2004, 02:01 PM
you can check her RG diary on her website. www.venuswilliams.com

tennisIlove09
May 26th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Thanks, now this is the Venus I know.. While the other diary enteries on her site may be her thoughts, it's quite obvious she is not the one writing them :pNo, she does. :)--at least that's what they tell me

Pureracket
May 26th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Is this the same diary entry as is on her website? I'm using a friend's slow computer, and I don't wanna go to that site if it's the same entry as the one posted in this thread.

Hulet
May 26th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Yup, this is the kind of diary I would like to read from Venus. What her thought process is during match and anything related with tennis. Good diary, it could have been great if she were to expand it a little.

tennisIlove09
May 26th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Is this the same diary entry as is on her website? I'm using a friend's slow computer, and I don't wanna go to that site if it's the same entry as the one posted in this thread.
Yes it's the same. I think the entire "On-line Diary" is to get more attraction to www.VenusWilliams.com (http://www.VenusWilliams.com)

Ballbuster
Thank God she's keeping it simple. Worrying about writing a diary entry and concentrating on your game, et.al can be draining.

Infiniti2001
No, she does. :)--at least that's what they tell me

I will never believe that.. :tape:

Paneru
May 26th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Yup, this is the kind of diary I would like to read from Venus. What her thought process is during match and anything related with tennis. Good diary, it could have been great if she were to expand it a little.

I think short and simple is good.
Right to the point. No need for over-analyzing.

Paneru
May 26th, 2004, 02:06 PM
What does it matter, they are still her words
and that's all that matter! ;) :p

tennisIlove09
May 26th, 2004, 02:08 PM
:lol: When Vee emails me, I'll ask her ;)

Hulet
May 26th, 2004, 02:13 PM
I think short and simple is good.
Right to the point. No need for over-analyzing.
Good point. :)
When Vee emails me, I'll ask her
Show off. :rolleyes: ;)

Paneru
May 26th, 2004, 02:31 PM
:lol: When Vee emails me, I'll ask her ;)
Well aren't we special! :p ;)

"Topaz"
May 26th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Venus's notes simplify things for her. Meanwhile, her diaries simplify things for me. :angel:

Foot_Fault
May 26th, 2004, 05:48 PM
love every minute of it!

LindsayRocks89
May 26th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Vee :)

Chance
May 27th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Venus gets in a rythym to adjust to clay surface
While in Paris for the French Open, American Venus Williams will send e-mails to USA TODAY describing her various daily experiences throughout the event.

To: USA TODAY readers

Subject: Clay

"The myth that I am not a clay-court player is just not true. I admit that I don't need a calculator to tally the number of clay-court titles to my name (six), but I am proud of them! I also realize that the power game that I play classifies me as more likely to win Wimbledon (on grass) instead of the French Open.

"What I have learned over the last nine years is that I can use my power to my advantage on this tricky surface, but muscle is not always the answer. On the other hand, I could never allow myself to retreat behind the baseline and wait for my opponent to make a mistake. The power in my game is one of the factors that has allowed me to achieve everything that I have in this game. However, I have learned that mixing a pinch of spin and a dash of patience with my natural power game is the perfect recipe for getting into the clay-court rhythm.

"Today in practice, I was gradually able to get into that rhythm, which eluded me in my first-round match (against Tamarine Tanasugarn). I was also moving better today in practice because I feel much more at ease on my ankle (which was strained three weeks ago on clay). My mom, always the voice of reason, reminded me that I should not be too vigorous and to save the best for (today's match vs. Jelena Kostanic). What I don't think many people realize is that I love to play on clay. Clay challenges me to evolve my game, and it is these kinds of challenges that motivate me.