PDA

View Full Version : Keep ut the good work Mary!

humanity
May 25th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Good start for Mary!

Here goes the article at the french RG site, and below my translation in English

Pierce sans souci
Par Guillaume Baraise
mardi 25 mai 2004

Oublié le cauchemar de l'an passé, et cette défaite au premier tour face à l'Argentine Clarisa Fernandez. Mary Pierce (n°30) a franchi avec succès le premier obstacle, en la personne de la Luxembourgeoise Claudine Schaul (6/2, 6/3). Une joueuse qui venait pourtant de remporter les Internationaux de Strasbourg...

La lauréate des Internationaux de France 2000 avait tout à craindre de ce premier tour. Claudine Schaul, 41e mondiale, ne lui rendait que 10 places dans la hiérarchie. Surtout, la Luxembourgeoise venait de s'imposer à Strasbourg. Samedi, Schaul avait créé la surprise en Alsace en dominant en finale Lindsay Davenport.

Mais c'est une Pierce déterminée et affutée qui s'est présentée sur le court Philippe-Chatrier, ce mardi à 11 heures. Bien réveillée, elle a imposé son rythme sur le match dès les premiers échanges. En 31 minutes, Mary s'adjugeait le premier set 6/2.

La deuxième manche débutait mal pour la double gagnante de la Fed Cup. 3-1 pour Schaul. Mais une accélération permettait à Mary d'empocher les cinq derniers jeux. Avec une telle forme, Pierce peut être ambitieuse, malgré ses 29 ans. Méfiance quand même dès le tour suivant face à l'Espagnole Gala Leon Garcia...

No problem for Pierce

Last year's 1st round nighmare defeat by Clarisa Fernandez from Argentine was forgotten. Mary Pierce (30th seed) went successfully through the first obstacle Claudine Schaul from Luxembourg (6-2, 6-3). Somenone who just won the Strasbourg tournament last weekend...

The 2000 Roland Garros champion had everything to fear from this first round. Claudine Schaul, 41th in the rankings, is only 10 places below Pierce. But foremost she won in Strasbourg on Saturday defeating Lindsay Davenport.

But it was a determined Pierce who showed up at the Philippe-Chartrier court today at 11am. In a good day, the Frenchwoman imposed her rhytm in the match since the begining. In 31 minutes Mary won the first set 6-2.

The second set started badly for the twice Fed Cup winner. 3-1 for Schaul. Mary the turned the ignition on and won the last five games. With such a performance Pierce can be ambitious, even at 29. But she must be cautious in the next round, where Gala Leon Garcia is waiting for her...

Declan
May 25th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Nice report! Not sure that veiled threat of Gala Leon Garcia is entirely justified, though!

educ00
May 25th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Mary!

Amazing work. I was not able to see the match, I regret that.

I do not think Mary is playing doubles. The doubles draws are out and Mary's name - if I am correct - is not on the draws.

Are we expecting a deep singles round? I cannot wait to see a Mary vs Venus match. It better happen that whomever wins that match wins the tourney. I love them both. So yes, Gala, get out of our way!

Tompier
May 25th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Mary would make it 6:0 6:0, Gala is as big threat for Mary as .....:rolleyes:
but I am still concerned, Mary is sloow :sad:

Piotrek
May 25th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Good luck Mary against Gala Leon Garcia.

Goooooooooooo Mary!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

mamno_MARYFAN
May 26th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Guys....

think if Mary beat Garcia and meet Venus in the 3rd round...

think if Mary and Venus engaged in hard hitting rallies....french open style....at the central court...

think if Mary actually beat Venus in that match...

Well guys...welcome to MAMNO_maryfan's dream...:angel:

Go Mary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

morbidangle
May 26th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Guys....

think if Mary beat Garcia and meet Venus in the 3rd round...

think if Mary and Venus engaged in hard hitting rallies....french open style....at the central court...

think if Mary actually beat Venus in that match...

Well guys...welcome to MAMNO_maryfan's dream...:angel:

Go Mary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:
:lol: that'd be great, but lets see what happens tomorrow! I dont wanna look ahead !

C'mon Mary! YOU CAN WIN !:worship: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: