PDA

View Full Version : French Open Wildcards Decided! Highest ranked Aussies get them!

AUSBOY
May 14th, 2004, 05:09 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Aussie Watch
Reid and Wheeler get French Open wildcards
May 14, 2004

Australia’s Todd Reid and Christina Wheeler have been announced as the recipients of wildcards into the French Open main draw, under a reciprocal agreement between Tennis Australia and the French Tennis Federation.

Todd Reid has a current world ranking of 119 and in 2004 reached the quarterfinals of the AAPT Championships in Adelaide and the adidas International in Sydney. He won through to the third round at the Nasdaq-100 in Miami and lost to eventual champion Roger Federer in the third round of the Australian Open. Todd is also a regular hitting partner with the Optus Australian Davis Cup Team.

At the 2003 French Open Todd received a wildcard and took a set off Richard Krajicek (NED) in the first round before going down 3-6 6-2 6-2 6-1.

Christina Wheeler’s world ranking currently sits at 177. Recently she has been contesting the ITF Women’s Challenger tournaments in the United States, reaching the quarterfinals of Redding, California, and winning a doubles title (with partner Ansley Cargill, USA) in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Like Todd, Christina was also granted a wildcard into the 2003 French Open where she lost in the first round to Italian Tathiana Garbin 6-4 6-3.

The 2004 French Open will be held at Roland Garros, Paris from Monday 24 May – Sunday 6 June

azza
May 14th, 2004, 05:55 AM
:retard:

AUSBOY
May 14th, 2004, 06:04 AM
Oh well its the fairest system, when no Aussie deserves it they might as well give it to the highest ranked Aussie!

Christina is just lucky as her ranking is dropping from 177 to outside the top 210 next week, so she just got it ahead of Evie, another week and Evie would have had it!

On the downside we could have had an extra Aussie in the tournament if they had gone with someone else that wasnt already directly in qualifying.

Christina deserves the chance though. Its not like she has had many handouts. unlike Evie who has had stacks of GS Main draw wildcards, think she's up to like 8 now where as this will be Wheeler's 4th I think

azza
May 14th, 2004, 06:09 AM
No offense But Todd hasnt played any Clay court events and Peter Luczak ( the forgotton one :p ) has played heaps :mad: Peter is 100% deserving poor Pete :sobbing: o well hel Qualify and then Vs reid in the 1st round and beat Him and then he will show every Peter Luczak is the best :shout: :p

:worship: LOVE YOU PETE :worship:

louloubelle
May 14th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Christina can never land an Aussie one so Im glad she's got one over Evie. Tho I was pushing Sophie's bandwagon, her time will come.

Just hope this can give Christina's career a kick-start

SpikeyAidanm
May 14th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Toddles :banana: :yeah:

Mattographer
May 14th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Good decision for no WC to Evie! :banana:

broncosven
May 15th, 2004, 09:30 AM
So happy that Christina got it . . .since she got nothing at Oz open i think its fair that she got in into the French

Vicky88
May 15th, 2004, 12:11 PM
I can't complain as I have no problem with them handing out to the highest rank outside of DE.

However, I would like them to follow a similar strategy for the AO instead of the randomness they have employed in the past. Maybe the complaints of Wheeler and Grahame may have finally gotten thru to TA.

SpikeyAidanm
May 15th, 2004, 12:13 PM
So Wheeler gets the French Open WC for the third year in a row.

Well better luck to her this year, is it correct that her only main draw win in the WTA came against Kournikova in the 02 FO.

SpikeyAidanm
May 15th, 2004, 12:15 PM
At the 2003 French Open Todd received a wildcard and took a set off Richard Krajicek (NED) in the first round before going down 3-6 6-2 6-2 6-1.

Tennis Australia :tape: :tape:

That result was at the Aussie Open 03, Todd didnt play RG last year I recall.

azza
May 15th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Im still depessed bout Luczak :mad:

broncosven
May 15th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Wont Luzack be in qualifying ??? . . the same as Paul B, Tood L and Scott D

Would love to see Christina win a round . . she lost in qualies 5 and 4 .. . . but for her first match on clay was quite a good one . . 1 win would do her wonders

azza
May 16th, 2004, 05:39 AM
Its Besdies the Point Sven if an Aussie has done well on clay then he should be awared the FO WC Peter reached 3 Clay finals what has Todd done on clay? Nothing so does that justify Todd getting a WC for doing nothing while Peter is working his ass off on the Challenger circuit and Todd doing nothing on clay

Baccanello and Draper havnt been sighted all year :sad:

Larkham is a lazy ass hasnt competed in anything after those Aussie clay challengers

Luczak will prolly be the only Aussie but lets Pray for Scott and Paul

broncosven
May 16th, 2004, 09:19 AM
I agree it should be a horses for courses rule and Peter should of got it since he has played well on the challengers so far on tour ???

Lets of hope that Peter qualifies and then makes it further then Tood . . . .

hopefully some others will join him in MD aswell

louloubelle
May 16th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Should've played-off both of them - Luczak is unlucky but Reid is their golden child atm. Fairest system in my books.

broncosven
May 16th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Well that would be the fairest way and how they do it for Wimbledon each year

ozfan44
May 17th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Wheeler has been playing like shit i wish they had of given it to Sophie Ferguson, who has trained hard and is now getting the results to show her hard work. If Dellacqua wasn't still sick it would have been good for her to get it.