PDA

View Full Version : Name the Greats at both singles and doubles

TonyP
May 13th, 2004, 05:07 PM
There are probably not that many. My criteria would be slams in both singles and doubles, or number one rankings in both.

IN no particular order:

B.J. King
Navratilova
Hingis
Sanchez-Vacario
Davenport
Clijsters
Novotna
Venus
Serena
Mandlikova (? Don't know that much about her doubles record.)

I'm leaving out Natasha and Gigi, since neither got a slam in singles, although both had respectible singles careers. They'll both go to the Hall of Fame, but only for their doubles play.

Any others?

alfajeffster
May 13th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Margaret Smith Court holds the following:

Singles- 24 majors
Doubles- 19 majors
Mixed- 19 majors

The rest really do have quite a way to go to equal that spread (no pun intended). Interesting that she didn't even make your list.

Hardiansf
May 13th, 2004, 05:18 PM
And you said that Clijsters got a slam in singles?
I think that all the greatest player were good in double too, but they choose to not play that a lot. Let say Williams Sisters, Graf, Evert, and Seles (oh yes, she had some doubles title too in the big tournaments!)

Randy H
May 13th, 2004, 05:18 PM
How can Clijsters be on the list if Natasha and Gigi were left out for also not winning a grand slam singles title? :confused:

bandabou
May 13th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Margaret Smith Court holds the following:

Singles- 24 majors
Doubles- 19 majors
Mixed- 19 majors

The rest really do have quite a way to go to equal that spread (no pun intended). Interesting that she didn't even make your list.

No doubt that she´s the greatest for sure!

skanky~skanketta
May 13th, 2004, 05:24 PM
for me in navratilova and smith for winning ever single major there was in singles, dubs and mixed.

MLF
May 13th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Hana Mandlikova won 4 grand slam singles titles but only 1 doubles slam title. She only won 6 WTA doubles titles. Therefore she either comes off the list or Graf joins it, but by no means would I call Steffi a doubles great.

irma
May 13th, 2004, 05:30 PM
or Evert. Well she won 3 slams right? ( doubles only of course)

barmaid
May 13th, 2004, 05:36 PM
For sure the two Martina's lead the list!!:hearts:

barmaid:wavey:

Andy T
May 13th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Alfa, Court's stats are indeed impressive but ignoring mixed, Nav actually leads 18 singles and 31 doubles = 49, compared to Court's 43.

Otherwise, Maria Bueno, with 7 singles titles and a calendar year Grand Slam in women's doubles (the first ever) deserves a place if we include the 60s. Goolagong also won almost as many women's doubles slam titles as she did singles (7s and 5d + 1 divided final, + 1 mixed at RG). Like Hingis and Court, she did the singles/doubles double at Oz three years in succession. If you include Davenport, with her 3 singles titles, then Wade deserves a mention, too.

Not sure about Mandlikova - she only won one GS doubles title, at the US with Nav. That seems so off the wall for a player of her style and talent but it's true.

alfajeffster
May 13th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Alfa, Court's stats are indeed impressive but ignoring mixed, Nav actually leads 18 singles and 31 doubles = 49, compared to Court's 43.

Otherwise, Maria Bueno, with 7 singles titles and a calendar year Grand Slam in women's doubles (the first ever) deserves a place if we include the 60s. Goolagong also won almost as many women's doubles slam titles as she did singles (7s and 5d + 1 divided final, + 1 mixed at RG). Like Hingis and Court, she did the singles/doubles double at Oz three years in succession. If you include Davenport, with her 3 singles titles, then Wade deserves a mention, too.

Not sure about Mandlikova - she only won one GS doubles title, at the US with Nav. That seems so off the wall for a player of her style and talent but it's true.
You know me, Andy, I've always been one for a good "spread"- and I actually enjoy playing and watching mixed doubles. I have a copy of the 1971 Wimbledon Mixed Final where Billie Jean King / Owen Davidson def. Margaret Court / Marty Reissen in Madge's 3rd final loss that day- it's some of the best tennis I've ever seen, with all 4 players going through dominating patches of play at different times during the 3 set battle. I think Margaret's 19 Mixed deserves to be counted, but you and I have been there already. Hey- what do you think of Martina playing singles at Roland Garros?!? We could get to see her play more than once!!!:bounce:

Jamie
May 14th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Martina Hingis and Martina N.

Kart
May 14th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Sabatini !!!

Anyone who can win a grand slam title carrying the partner she did deserves recognition :p ;) :p :worship: :p :bowdown: :p.

TheBoiledEgg
May 14th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Sabatini !!!

Anyone who can win a grand slam title carrying the partner she did deserves recognition :p ;) :p :worship: :p :bowdown: :p.
I'd like to carry Gaby too :angel: :drool: :kiss: :drool: :tape:

Chunchun
May 14th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Williams Sisters
Navra

*abby*
May 14th, 2004, 02:06 PM
jennifer capriati so many years in the game with plenty of titles to back them up along with an olympic gold medal at the age of 14 or whenever it was beating the world number one-nuff said

TonyP
May 14th, 2004, 02:36 PM
As to Kim, I listed as my criteria, EITHER having won slams in both singles and doubles, or having been ranked number one in both. Kim was ranked number one simultaneously, something only four other women have done.

I certainly think both Goolagong and of course, Maria Bueno belong on the list, as does court. I tend to think of Open era players, so there were some over sights on my list, but that is why I asked others to contribute.

As to the idea that others chose not to play doubles, but were great players, anyway, that's hard to document. Basically, you can only go by what happened, not what might have happened.

As for Davenport, 3 slams in singles, three in doubles and ranked number one in both simultaneously would certainly qualify her for the list.

Mandlikova? Now that I hear her record in doubles, probably not.

And while I think Gigi and Natasha were one of the three best teams ever, only Natasha even got to a singles slam final and we all know what happened that time.

I think GiGi got to a semi-final once at Wimbledon. Neither had great singles carrers,but rank at the very top in doubles. The only teams in history that were as good were Nav/Shriver and Hingis/whoever.

DA FOREHAND
May 14th, 2004, 02:41 PM
There are probably not that many. My criteria would be slams in both singles and doubles, or number one rankings in both.

IN no particular order:

B.J. King
Navratilova
Hingis
Sanchez-Vacario
Davenport
Clijsters
Novotna
Venus
Serena
Mandlikova (? Don't know that much about her doubles record.)

I'm leaving out Natasha and Gigi, since neither got a slam in singles, although both had respectible singles careers. They'll both go to the Hall of Fame, but only for their doubles play.

Any others?

If Kim can make the list Certainly Steffi would warrent a mention.

Declan
May 14th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Don't forget Virginia Wade - three singles and four (I think) doubles. And Francoise Durr, with ten doubles and mixed titles to go with her 1967 triumph at Roland Garros!
And even Mary Pierce, although not known for doubles prowess has won ten tour titles with an assortment of partners and won Roland Garros in 2000 with Hingis.

Gallofa
May 14th, 2004, 02:46 PM
As to Kim, I listed as my criteria, EITHER having won slams in both singles and doubles, or having been ranked number one in both. Kim was ranked number one simultaneously, something only four other women have done.
I think that is a fair point, but Kim was also a bit of an outlier when it comes to being No.1 in singles (not in doubles, she has the GS titles), I think Kim still has to prove that she is a great in singles.

Vincent
May 14th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Martina Hingis and Martina Navratilova! :)

QUEENLINDSAY
May 14th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Lindsay is the Bes!!!!!!!!!!