PDA

View Full Version : Why do Players decided to "SHOW UP" Against a Williams Sister???

Foot_Fault
May 13th, 2004, 02:54 PM
I've notice lower ranked players and other top players Roll Over and play dead with everyone Else...But a Williams Sister. Is it because Venus and Serena are a Standard Of Excellence?

Examples: Chanda Rubin, never shows up against Kim, or Amelie....but when she plays Venus or Serena...she's unbelievable.

Jennifer Capriati- Rolls over playing Amelie, Justine, Kim....but when she plays Serena...it's War, and she tries to War against Venus.

Amelie Mauresmo- Plays awsome against the sisters....usually Rolls over and play dead against everyone else.

Lisa Raymond- Can't hit a forehand with her ass, but put Venus or Serena across the net, and she plays like she's possessed.

Maggie Maleeva- C ranked player, but put her up against the sisters and she plays like a Battered Wife running from her husband.

Karolina Sprem-Losing to Loosers, but plays like a demond against Venus. Go Figure:rolleyes:

I think it's good for tennis. Even when I play people that i think are Better than me, and I play better. So that motivation is good.

There are a host of others..maybe they do see the sisters as a standard of excellence. I guess it's good to give your best against the TOP PLAYERS, they trying to make a name for themselves.

Go Figure:rolleyes: :wavey:

The Crow
May 13th, 2004, 02:57 PM
:lol: :haha:

Or were you being serious?

GoDominique
May 13th, 2004, 03:01 PM
I guess racist hate gets the best out of them.

GoDominique
May 13th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Oh, and Chanda - probably envy.

Foot_Fault
May 13th, 2004, 03:11 PM
I guess racist hate gets the best out of them.I think you're Right...:rolleyes:
The Teacher: "Foot_Fault, Spell Idiot.."
Foot_Fault: GoDominique??...
The Teacher: Excellent!! :D
Foot_Fault: Thank You:)

GoDominique
May 13th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Then why aren't you in school right now?

Jakeev
May 13th, 2004, 03:14 PM
ooooo foot-fault your gonna be mince meat if Conchita fans read what you just said:tape:

Frankly, I think and I have said this alot, the sisters have raised the bar for women's tennis unlike any top players in history.

I just think that in the past, the majority of players did not think they could beat Martina N. or Steffi, so they went on the court expecting to lose. And that they did.

But then again, I have noticed since Kim and Justine have improved, they have become even more difficult to beat on court. And if those two continue the way they are when they are healthy, you can be sure the players will be gunning for them too.

At least in Justine's case, I think already players want a piece of her.

This is what makes women's tennis so much more exciting for me today. The players are trying to raise a level of play we have not seen in a long time.

In a time whe people are complaining that women's tennis is dead, I say he rest of the pack trying to challenge the best is outstanding for the game.

DunkMachine
May 13th, 2004, 03:14 PM
I've noticed the same pattern Foot_Fault. I think that those players think they'll lose regadless. So they just say "fuck it" and hit outrageous shots.

Foot_Fault
May 13th, 2004, 03:22 PM
I've noticed the same pattern Foot_Fault. I think that those players think they'll lose regadless. So they just say "fuck it" and hit outrageous shots.
Thus the case with Karolina...she played AWSOME. I sent a question to Venus on her website yesterday, asking her....Why do she seemingly struggle against players she's NEVER played before, but players she's played she can dispatch of them with ease?

She hasn't responded, but I am anticipating the answer

Experimentee
May 13th, 2004, 03:29 PM
The players have nothing to lose when they play Venus or Serena, they dont expect to win so they loosen up and go for their shots. Its not the same with other players as they seem beatable.

Greenout
May 13th, 2004, 03:33 PM
What are you trying to get with this question? I dont' understand?
So, it's stupid for players to try to take down a grand slam champion,
is that what your saying? I guess that makes everyone on tour
idiots for trying their hardest against the stars with huge reputations.
MORONS!!! ;)

G_Slammed
May 13th, 2004, 03:33 PM
... is it really players deciding to "show up" and show out... Or is Venus/Serena enabling, assisting .. helping out.. not showing up..

dreamgoddess099
May 13th, 2004, 03:34 PM
They play Venus and Serena harder because getting a win over one of them gets a player more creditability and publicity than beating any other player on tour. In a way it's really more of a complement to the great players Venus and Serena are. It shows the value that the other players put on a win against a Williams. For some it's as good as winning a title.

AjdeNate!
May 13th, 2004, 03:35 PM
They all read WTAWorld.com and are under the impression that V&S are the greatest things since sliced rye bread and actually try. The rest of the matches, for the over 1080+ players left on the rankings.... well, nobody even cares to try.

;)

Greenout
May 13th, 2004, 03:37 PM
They all read WTAWorld.com and are under the impression that V&S are the greatest things since sliced rye bread and actually try. The rest of the matches, for the over 1080+ players left on the rankings.... well, nobody even cares to try.

;)

:lol:

croat123
May 13th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Karolina Sprem-Losing to Loosers, but plays like a demond against Venus. Go Figure:rolleyes:

her only bad losses are against dally (she needed medical help when she was up 2-0 in the third) and stosur

all her other losses are to top20 players, she has been very consistant and usually loses in three anyways

calabar
May 13th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Lisa Raymond's victory over Venus at the AO was the highlight of her career. What has she done since? Whenever a player wins or even take V or S to a third set, it is written up in the media as an "almost-victory". Some may not want to admit this, but the Williams Sisters have become the benchmark of excellence for the past 5 years.

Foot_Fault
May 13th, 2004, 03:43 PM
What are you trying to get with this question? I dont' understand?
So, it's stupid for players to try to take down a grand slam champion,
is that what your saying? I guess that makes everyone on tour
idiots for trying their hardest against the stars with huge reputations.
MORONS!!! ;)
Stop looking for NEGATIVES all the damn time. If you read in my original post i stated that winning against a Williams mean getting a name for yourself.
This is just a discussion thread...not a bashing thread.

If you can constitute Chanda Rubin beating Venus in one round then Losing to Moshona Washington in the next round.
Go Figure

Foot_Fault
May 13th, 2004, 03:45 PM
her only bad losses are against dally (she needed medical help when she was up 2-0 in the third) and stosur

all her other losses are to top20 players, she has been very consistant and usually loses in three anyways
This wasn't a Hit against Sprem...I like the chick, i see big things for her future. But this year, she's lost to people she shouldn't (what i know of her now)have lost too.

Greenout
May 13th, 2004, 03:50 PM
You should take this as a high compliment. .

Jakeev
May 13th, 2004, 04:15 PM
The players have nothing to lose when they play Venus or Serena, they dont expect to win so they loosen up and go for their shots. Its not the same with other players as they seem beatable.
Perhaps your right, but then again besides the sisters, I don't think the majority of players find Kim, Justine or even Lindsay that beatable either. But they still try their best.

Look at Lindsay at Indian Wells and Amelia Island earlier this year. She seemingly struggled against players like Dulko (the girl had 18 winners and only won 5 games against Linds) and Sun, but in the end it was still Lindsay who dictated the outcome of the match.

And althought Karolina Sprem probably had THE most spectacular loss ever against Venus Williams on clay, I doubt you are gonna see her do that against Venus at say Wimbledon.

But again, I think it's great for lower-ranked players to try and challenge the best. Like I already mentioned, it at least proves there is a little more depth to the game then the doubters would like to believe.

Pureracket
May 13th, 2004, 04:22 PM
I guess racist hate gets the best out of them.Wow!!!!! I didn't even think that YOU were this bitter, GoDominique.:rolleyes: Why would you go off like this?

DA FOREHAND
May 13th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Ummm you forgot about justine...plays like a woman on juice against Kim,Jennifer, Amelie, but rolls over against Venus notching just one victory out of eight attempts.

Knizzle
May 13th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Venus is making people's careers this year. Raymond, Kuznetsova, Dementieva, Sprem. Beating the sisters brings fame a notoriety like none other.

griffin
May 13th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Yeah, why is it that the only great matches Amelie has played have been against Serena - boy, those last two were real barn burners.

I do think that if you're the person to beat, other players will be more likely to raise the level of their game to try an beat you.

But pretty much every other premise in your post about who plays good/bad/ugly against whom is false.

bandabou
May 13th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Well in seeing how just taking Venus to a third-set can notch you player of the week award, it is no surprise really that players try so hard against the sisters. ;)

V-MAC
May 13th, 2004, 05:12 PM
I've notice lower ranked players and other top players Roll Over and play dead with everyone Else...But a Williams Sister. Is it because Venus and Serena are a Standard Of Excellence?

Examples: Chanda Rubin, never shows up against Kim, or Amelie....but when she plays Venus or Serena...she's unbelievable.

Jennifer Capriati- Rolls over playing Amelie, Justine, Kim....but when she plays Serena...it's War, and she tries to War against Venus.

Amelie Mauresmo- Plays awsome against the sisters....usually Rolls over and play dead against everyone else.

Lisa Raymond- Can't hit a forehand with her ass, but put Venus or Serena across the net, and she plays like she's possessed.

Maggie Maleeva- C ranked player, but put her up against the sisters and she plays like a Battered Wife running from her husband.

I think it's good for tennis. Even when I play people that i think are Better than me, and I play better. So that motivation is good.

There are a host of others..maybe they do see the sisters as a standard of excellence. I guess it's good to give your best against the TOP PLAYERS, they trying to make a name for themselves.

Go Figure:rolleyes: :wavey:

:o :o I hate bringing this up but wasn't chanda pretty much steam-rolled by venus in her FIRST match back this year in the Hong Kong exhibition? 6-3 6-3 i think. Chanda has really only performed well against venus ONCE and the same for serena.

- L i n a -
May 13th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Here's a bit of knowledge for the tennis fans:

1) Go to this site: http://home17.inet.tele.dk/wta/

2) Read some results.

3) Once you are a bit educated on this, then feel free to post your valuable opinions.

Jakeev
May 13th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Well in seeing how just taking Venus to a third-set can notch you player of the week award, it is no surprise really that players try so hard against the sisters. ;)
Now come on bandabou acting like TeeRex is definitely not one of your strong points.......

Jakeev
May 13th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Here's a bit of knowledge for the tennis fans:

1) Go to this site: http://home17.inet.tele.dk/wta/

2) Read some results.

3) Once you are a bit educated on this, then feel free to post your valuable opinions.

You know "old enlightened" one how bout for a change you actually respond to a thread like this instead of your usual have-witted responses.

Think ya can do that just one time?

bandabou
May 13th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Now come on bandabou acting like TeeRex is definitely not one of your strong points.......

Guess not, huh?! :lol:

harloo
May 13th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Serena has commented on this very fact on the ESPN special saying she noticed how players who normally don't play well in other matches, bring their A game when competing against her and Venus. So she knows that C rated players elevates their game playing against them.

I do wish that everyone would elevate their game regardless of what match they are playing. It would be more exciting on the tour, and I also think other players are starting to catch on. In a year or so maybe their will probably be about 10 players who are favorites to win any slam. :eek:

madZonna
May 13th, 2004, 05:42 PM
You know "old enlightened" one how bout for a change you actually respond to a thread like this instead of your usual have-witted responses.

Think ya can do that just one time?

At least she spells her insults correctly, Mr/Ms have-wit. Yes, now post a silly comeback about me being a grammar Nazi.

Black Mamba.
May 13th, 2004, 05:49 PM
A win against the sisters is like winning the entire tournement. When they lose it's all over the internet and for the first time SportsCenter actually talks a little about tennis outside of big tournements.

Darran
May 13th, 2004, 06:12 PM
I don't think they neccessarily try any harder, its just no-one notices if a player plays " the match of their life" against Anca Barna out on court 15 do they. So if someone plays really good against a top player, commentators and fans alike all start murmerings about trying harder against the top players, nothing to lose, match of their life etc etc. I just don't buy it.

Ballbuster
May 13th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Beat a "Sister" get cool points.

Its no secret, all they do is make them better.

esquímaux
May 13th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Examples: Chanda Rubin, never shows up against Kim, or Amelie*ahem*

RR Championsh (http://angelfire.com/space2/wta2/tur2003/cham1374.htm) 2003 C Rubin(8) - A Mauresmo(4)4-6 6-4 6-2
4Key Bisc. (http://angelfire.com/space/wta/tur2003/keyb1085.htm) 2003 C Rubin(12) - A Mauresmo(8)6-0 6-2

Chanda also leads 3-1 in H2H. Now when Chanda plays Kim, that a WHOLE DIFFERENT story! : ownage : :help: :leash:

Abdoul
May 13th, 2004, 06:39 PM
yeah . i realized that as well
the reason is... after Martina Hingis, the Sistaz are the barometer of modern tennis.

Pureracket
May 13th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Well, F'fault's point is validated when we look @ this board after one of the Sisters loses. The board erupts.

Again: There are people on this board who don't even have favs. The one and only thing we know is that they don't like the Williams Sisters.

Some posters have to even change their names time and time again in order to root against them.

NO other player in the WTA has this kind of reaction.

fammmmedspin
May 13th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Largely because they have nothing to lose or can do something the sisters can't cope with.
Sometimes because the Williams sisters do what they do very well and beat most other people trying to do it to them. They don't play other peoples games well though (usually don't have to) and their (now largely Venus's) error count helps the opponent.
Consistent imaginative players who don't play their game and can take advantage of the error count stand a fair chance against them if they can force the match into their own style. Players who play Williams tennis less well but more consistently will beat those players but lose to a sister.

"Topaz"
May 13th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Players always want to know how their games stand against the best. Venus once said she always measured her game's level or progress when playing Davenport. Why Davey and not Hingis, I never knew.

"Sluggy"
May 13th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Oh, and Chanda - probably envy.

Sounds flawlessly logical!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Diesel
May 13th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Because the Sisters are seen as the standard to beat.

tennnisfannn
May 13th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Well, even if you lose against a Williams, you have a chance of being awarded Player of the Week.
Sanchez and Dally are already in the running for this week.

Bright Red
May 14th, 2004, 12:22 AM
Part of it is the lower ranked players probably spend a lot of time analyzing the Williams Sisters games either to imitate it or to exploit weaknesses. This makes it look like they're playing really well against the Sisters, when the reality is that they're just really familiar with the Sister's game. Lower ranked players don't study other lower ranked players games beforehand and therefore have to rely on sheer tennis talent and adaptability. It's basically the difference between studying for an exam and not.

vettipooh
May 14th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Everyone wants to prove that they are good enough to beat a Williams sister.Its like getting a badge of honor.You wear it for the rest of your life,because Pam and Mary Jo, will never let you and the rest of the world,forget that you beat a Williams sister!!!!When you do,you achieve a certain status!!!! :) ;)

Jakeev
May 14th, 2004, 07:53 AM
At least she spells her insults correctly, Mr/Ms have-wit. Yes, now post a silly comeback about me being a grammar Nazi.
Nah nop swilly cumback cause yo wight I spelt uit rong.

So how bout I just say drop dead you butt-ugly, stupid bitch/dickhead?

Another moron has arrived on the board........

DunkMachine
May 14th, 2004, 08:02 AM
yeah . i realized that as well
the reason is... after Martina Hingis, the Sistaz are the barometer of modern tennis.
Look at this joker 2 posts and allready red dotted like a hindu