PDA

View Full Version : Navratilova back to Roland Garros

CapFan#1
May 13th, 2004, 02:59 PM
DID ANYONE ELSE SEE THIS???:eek: Oh well, go on Martina!!

Navratilova back to Roland

Martina Navratilova will play singles at a grand slam event for the first time in 10 years at the French Open later this month, almost 20 years since she last triumphed in the final at Roland-Garros. Organisers on Thursday said they had awarded a wild card to the 47-year-old American, who made her singles comeback last month in Amelia Island.
Navratilova, who holds 167 singles titles, more than any other player in history, lost 1-6 6-3 6-2 to Milagros Sequera in her first WTA singles match in almost 10 years on April 6. She later lost to Amy Frazier in the first round in Charleston.

Czech-born Navratilova won the French Open twice in 1982 and 1984 and played her last singles match at a grand slam event in the 1994 Wimbledon final which she lost to Conchita Martinez.

Overall, she won 18 grand slam singles titles and 58 grand slam titles, including doubles and mixed doubles.

The most outspoken figure in women's tennis has continued playing doubles on the WTA Tour since giving up her singles career in November 1994.

http://www.eurosport.com/img3/shim.gifReuters - 13/05/2004http://www.eurosport.com/img3/email.gif

SpikeyAidanm
May 13th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Not so good news for PAW but :)

Kart
May 13th, 2004, 03:03 PM
She'll probably play both Paris and London.

I agree this is no surprise, with those clay matches it seems only natural that she was building up to this.

Kart
May 13th, 2004, 03:08 PM
LOL that would be hysterical.

Experimentee
May 13th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Go Martina! :D

It would be funny if she faced Martinez in the 1st rd of Wimbledon and got revenge 10 years later :lol:

spartanfan
May 13th, 2004, 03:10 PM
But really what's the point? Why take a spot away from a young and up and coming player who really needs the points and cash? If she were really serious about improving her singles game why enter a tier I or tier II when you haven't played singles in 10 years? Why not a tier III, IV or V to start with and build your way back up? Martina is a media and attention whore and craves the spotlight. I also think she hates the fact that there are now other great players and her name isn't mentioned with every breath of every player about just how great she is. I'm so glad that this is her last year.

MrSerenaWilliams
May 13th, 2004, 03:10 PM
That'd be a DREAM!

GoDominique
May 13th, 2004, 03:15 PM
:rolleyes:

And how much appearance money will she get ?

GoDominique
May 13th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Conchita would thrash her BTW.

GoDominique
May 13th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Like Julie Pullin :spit:
France has good players.

CoryAnnAvants#1
May 13th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Like someone said, very few people believed that she was doing this ONLY to help her doubles game. She is, but Martina also wants to see where she stands as a singles player. Judging by her results, even though they were two first round losses, she's probably still among the top 100 or so women in the world. It'll be a great chance for old time fans to appreciate her one last time and for new fans to witness just how amazing this woman is. She might be able to win a round (or two) with a good draw.

That being said, if she really did care about improving her singles game, she'd take a wild card into the qualifying.

Grachka
May 13th, 2004, 03:47 PM
What a waste of another wild card
which should go to a more deserving player

I don't know what else you would need to do in order to deserve one. :confused:

Good luck to her, she'll fill the stands anyway.

Tatiana'swebsite
May 13th, 2004, 03:48 PM
It's SCANDALOUS :fiery: :fiery:

spartanfan
May 13th, 2004, 03:59 PM
The tour should be trying to promote the new and young players and not focusing on the past. Why not just give a wild card to all the old retired players. It's just a gimmick, the tour should be trying to build a fan base around the new players and hyping them up instead of a three ring circus around Martina. She is on such an ego trip its sad. Move on with your life already. I think that wc should be given to a young lady who is out there week in and week out grinding away making her way up the rankings. Not just given to some one who is not serious about her ranking and just doing it as a novelty. Shame on MN you selfish, self-centered bitch!

Foot_Fault
May 13th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Why is she fucking with the draw like that....get your ass on the dubs court or in a damn Senior Citizens Home some damn where....WTF?

azza
May 13th, 2004, 04:02 PM
I would be so fucken pissed off if i was number 1 seed in Quallies all becasue some Old skank who's shit at singles takes my place :rolleyes:

SelesFan70
May 13th, 2004, 04:04 PM
She's one of the players I've always "despised", but I always knew why! She comes across as arrogant and selfish!

I hope she gets crushed in the first round... :mad:

GermanBoy
May 13th, 2004, 04:05 PM
IMO, Martina playing SINGLEs is ridiculous. I mean you can`t come back after that many years and play tournaments again. She for sure is fit enough and I have much respect for that fact but she shouldn`t "steal" WCs which other young players need. That is not okay. Her days are gone. She should accept that.

Sammm
May 13th, 2004, 04:33 PM
What did she start to love clay this much? :confused: I really hope she doesn't meet Panova and beat her!

GermanBoy
May 13th, 2004, 05:41 PM
What did she start to love clay this much? :confused: I really hope she doesn't meet Panova and beat her!
Then Panova retires... :lol: Not funny, I know! Sorry!

Cool Canuck, Martina is fit and she is competitive but she decided to retire some years ago. Don`t you think she should stick with her decision? I don`t like these combacks no matter whether a player is able to compete or not. She destroys her own career with that. She was No. 1 and won many Grand Slams. That is what she will be remembered for. If she goes on like that she will be remembered to be a person who tried to play again after years but badly lost and that is not necessary. She doesn`t do herself a favour.

*Jool*
May 13th, 2004, 05:57 PM
I want to see a Martinez-Navratilova 1R RG with a Conchi-win 60 60 !!!!!

Knizzle
May 13th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Hope she draws Serena in the first round. I wonder if ESPN will feature Nav's singles matches??

DA FOREHAND
May 13th, 2004, 06:01 PM
She's one of the players I've always "despised", but I always knew why! She comes across as arrogant and selfish!

I hope she gets crushed in the first round... :mad:
Me too, I hope someone gives her a dagel(double bagel)

If she wants a challenge join the mens sr. tour.

Knizzle
May 13th, 2004, 06:02 PM
I hope she draws Serena first round.

DA FOREHAND
May 13th, 2004, 06:04 PM
I guess that's a confirmation of what society think of older people: they should just disappear or die. :o

She's competitive enough to beat Panova 2 years ago and give a good match against Frazier and Sequera and is still one of the best double players. She does deserve the WC because she is competitive and brings attention to the WTA.
It has nothing to do w/wishing old people would just die. I can't speak for anyone else but the fact that she might be competittive at 47 makes womens tennis look like it's stuck in the mid eighties. Let her draw one of te big guns in the first round...see how she really stacks up.

schris
May 13th, 2004, 06:10 PM
:rolleyes:

And how much appearance money will she get ?
I knew it, she came back because she wants to break Steffi`s rekord in prize money :p

Brαm
May 13th, 2004, 06:13 PM
If Kirsten Flipkens does NOT get one, then :mad: :fiery: :shout:

azza
May 13th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Just give the WC to Rennea Stubbs.

DA FOREHAND
May 13th, 2004, 06:19 PM
If she stays fit, why wouldn't she be competitive considering she's one of the greatest player of all time?
She's quite competitive in doubles....singles is a whole other ballgame.

CoryAnnAvants#1
May 13th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Let me offer a few situations for the Navratilova haters and tell me what you think...not doing this to start an argument, just curious to see your reaction

If Steffi Graf asked for a wild card into the mixed with Andre Agassi, would that be wrong? She's retired, she's "stealing" a wild card from a young french player who could use the money and experience, and she wouldn't be planning to play next year...good/bad idea?

Or Arantxa playing doubles this year solely to go to the Olympics in Athens...good/bad idea?

Or Jana Novotna/Kathy Rinaldi taking a WC into a 50K doubles event last November...that was purely a one off thing, but they'd been retired for years and clearly weren't in tennis shape.

What if Chris Evert started asking for singles wild cards again? Apparently even at her age, she's capable of beating up almost all the players at the 10K level.

Furthermore, what is the objection to Navratilova getting a WC...is it her taking it from someone else or the fact she's lost in two straight opening rounds? If she got to the 3rd round of AI and Charleston, would be there any objections?

DA FOREHAND
May 13th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Let me offer a few situations for the Navratilova haters and tell me what you think...not doing this to start an argument, just curious to see your reaction

If Steffi Graf asked for a wild card into the mixed with Andre Agassi, would that be wrong? She's retired, she's "stealing" a wild card from a young french player who could use the money and experience, and she wouldn't be planning to play next year...good/bad idea?

Or Arantxa playing doubles this year solely to go to the Olympics in Athens...good/bad idea?

Or Jana Novotna/Kathy Rinaldi taking a WC into a 50K doubles event last November...that was purely a one off thing, but they'd been retired for years and clearly weren't in tennis shape.

What if Chris Evert started asking for singles wild cards again? Apparently even at her age, she's capable of beating up almost all the players at the 10K level.

Furthermore, what is the objection to Navratilova getting a WC...is it her taking it from someone else or the fact she's lost in two straight opening rounds? If she got to the 3rd round of AI and Charleston, would be there any objections?

While we're clearing the air...I don't hate anyone let alone Navratilova, I used to idolize her. I was literally in awe of her when I met her in 84.

Mixed doubles is a glorified exhibition, I have no problem w/anyone playing dubs, hell let Mary Jo and /Pam Shriver team up for all I care.

It wouldn't look good for Navratilova to get out there and beat a top 20 player, or to go out and catch a beatdown, for shits and giggles.

Grafiati
May 13th, 2004, 07:32 PM
I don't care too much either way as to who gets what wildcard, as I am not a WTA player trying to have a career on tour, but I do believe I agree with the people who wrote that in Martina's case it should be a wildcard into qualifying... if the goal is to compete and to "improve her singles game", why would Martina need to go right to the main draw when she hardly has singles matches under her belt???

GoDominique
May 13th, 2004, 08:26 PM
The problem is that Martina is NOT competitive. Her last two matches have shown that. She lost against weak players (Frazier is weak on clay).
And since than she has done nothing that would indicate she's more competitive now.

She doesn't belong in a GS singles draw. Tour events, OK. But not slams.

alfonsojose
May 13th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Nobody heats her. I don't heat her at all. But it's really sad to do that. Tournaments do this only for money. It's a shame for WTA. Doubles or mixed doubles is Ok, but a singles wild car fro her is really :rolleyes:, even more at RG.

Rtael
May 13th, 2004, 10:11 PM
The problem is that Martina is NOT competitive. Her last two matches have shown that. She lost against weak players (Frazier is weak on clay).
And since than she has done nothing that would indicate she's more competitive now.

She doesn't belong in a GS singles draw. Tour events, OK. But not slams.
You look so ignorant. She lost in three sets to top 100 players. That's more than 90% of the tour can do. Fuck off. The Martina-haters in this thread are showing ignorance on so many levels.

Annika18
May 13th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Sequera is a very good player, as is Frazier. To lose to them on any surface is not a disgrace, especially for a 47 year old.

If she is competitive, which she looks to be, i think she will offer something different, she will bring something different and interesting. i think she would be doing fine against anyone in the draw. don't people want to see the clash of the old and new guard? ;)

she has more chance of winning than most of the potential wildcards anyway :p

flyingmachine
May 13th, 2004, 10:26 PM
If she wants to do it just do it. However, don't think she will win it.

GoDominique
May 13th, 2004, 10:28 PM
You look so ignorant. She lost in three sets to top 100 players. That's more than 90% of the tour can do. Fuck off. The Martina-haters in this thread are showing ignorance on so many levels.
She lost against top 100 players. Grand Slams are for top 100 players. Martina isn't one, and she isn't playing like one.

So she has a minor chance of winning a match against a weak opponent.
If you want to call that being competitive, so be it.

GoGoMaggie
May 13th, 2004, 10:58 PM
I'm dead sure most of the whiners of her playing there were following the game before she first retired and thus have never seen what a great player she was. They just never learn to appreciate the players they have never seen at their peak.

Philbo
May 13th, 2004, 11:58 PM
I dont care if Martina loses, as she said 'she cant do any worse than she did in 1994', but the VENOM of some of the hate in relation to her getting a wilcard is freaky.

WHY THE FUCK SOME 187TH RANKED PLAYER WHO CANT QUALIFY DESERVES A WILCARD ABOVE THE BEST PLAYER OF ALL TIME IS BEYONE ME AND JUST SHOWS HOW MUCH HATE YOU AGEIST PRICKS CARRY WITH YOU!

That applies to you Azza (GO PRATT IM SURE SHE WILL GO FAR INTO THE TOURNAMENT) and Foot Fault, LOL @ whoever said Kirsten Bloody Flipkens deserves one over Martina!!! what a joke..

She is my fave, and I am not too fussed about her playing the French, simply because I dont think she has much chance of winning, but claiming she doesnt DESERVE the wildcard just shows how amazingly stupid most of you in this thread are...

Props to Bradshaw, Rtael, and anyone else with a bit of sense who say 'let her play'

anabolix
May 14th, 2004, 12:21 AM
martina was among a handful of players that made the tour what it is today. Mainly politically but also on the tennis court.

Don't matter what way you slice or dice it, whoever you support is making more money in part 'cos of her. Tennis owes her a debt of gratitude, so do the current players.

I assure you that whoever else would have got that wild card (except seles) would have been a zero draw, whereas martina playing a singles match will fill a stadium. No matter how bad navratilova does, the eyes of the world will be on her, and tennis will get attention.

And as a top ranked doubles player, she deserves a break, even though she will not likely win. Most wild cards dont, btw.

I was surprised about j-caps comments. At a low phase in her life she wasted a bunch of wild cards that could have "gone to younger players".......

Philbo
May 14th, 2004, 12:41 AM
Absolutely... Fuck Capriati..She used up her share of wildcards that could have gone to young up and comers when she was coming back from her pot addiction...

WorldWar24
May 14th, 2004, 12:46 AM
"How can we miss you, if you won't go away?!"

:o

DannerCal
May 14th, 2004, 12:59 AM
She won't get special appearance money at a Grand Slam, however, do you know what the purse is for a G.S when you lose in the first round? $10,000.00.
Not a bad pay day :)

Philbo
May 14th, 2004, 04:56 AM
I would be so fucken pissed off if i was number 1 seed in Quallies all becasue some Old skank who's shit at singles takes my place :rolleyes:
If I had to choose between some 'old skank' to watch in the first round, or Nicole Pratt, I, and 99.999999999999999999% of tennis fans would prefer the old skank by far...

BigB08822
May 14th, 2004, 05:47 AM
I dont understand all the fuss, Martina has just as much of a shot of winning in the first round as any other wild card. Why do people always complain about the old stars stealing the chances of the up and commers? I hear this argument in skating all the time, saying Michelle Kwan should retire and let others come in and have their time in the spotlight. WTF, Kwan and Navratilova have earned their time in the spotlight for eternity and if Navratilova wants another go, then so be it!

GoGoMaggie
May 14th, 2004, 07:44 AM
I dont understand all the fuss, Martina has just as much of a shot of winning in the first round as any other wild card. Why do people always complain about the old stars stealing the chances of the up and commers? I hear this argument in skating all the time, saying Michelle Kwan should retire and let others come in and have their time in the spotlight. WTF, Kwan and Navratilova have earned their time in the spotlight for eternity and if Navratilova wants another go, then so be it!
They just have no idea what a great player Martina was when she was at her peak. Claiming giving a WC to her is a waste is just rediculous as hell. She fills the stands, sells tickets, ups the TV rates, helps tennis get more attention in every courner of the world. If I were the highest ranked player in the qualies, I would completely understand the decision made in favor of giving her a WC. By the way, would those against her WC be reacting the same if Steffi asked for one as well? I think not.

Philbo
May 14th, 2004, 07:53 AM
They just have no idea what a great player Martina was when she was at her peak. Claiming giving a WC to her is a waste is just rediculous as hell. She fills the stands, sells tickets, ups the TV rates, helps tennis get more attention in every courner of the world. If I were the highest ranked player in the qualies, I would completely understand the decision made in favor of giving her a WC. By the way, would those against her WC be reacting the same if Steffi asked for one as well? I think not.
Great post.

Vincent
May 14th, 2004, 08:00 AM
I feel happy for the ball boys and girls because the match is going to end in 30 minutes if Martina draws a Top 10 player.

irma
May 14th, 2004, 08:04 AM
If Steffi would suddenly return. Then I would bash her all over this board. You can count me on that :o

But she still would deserve the wildcard if she wouldn't get one then I would bash the tournamentdirector too :lol:
The same counts for Nav

I just have a hard time to believe that somebody who won so much can enjoy it to play tournaments without any chance of winning (the tournament) or lose to players she would eat for breakfast before.
Maybe I am too obsessed with winning though :p

GoDominique
May 14th, 2004, 08:05 AM
I feel happy for the ball boys and girls because the match is going to end in 30 minutes if Martina draws a Top 10 player.
Great post.

Philbo
May 14th, 2004, 08:11 AM
LOL and the same would apply if a young up and coming player got Martina's wildcard and drew a Top 10 player, so shut the whinging up.

Philbo
May 14th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Conchita would thrash her BTW.
How would you react if Dominique Van Roost decided to have one more run around and asked for a wildcard? Should she be refused for a young up and coming player?

Brαm
May 14th, 2004, 08:16 AM
How would you react if Dominique Van Roost decided to have one more run around and asked for a wildcard? Should she be refused for a young up and coming player?
Hell yeah!

Besides Dominique gracefully retired, just like Graf.

GoDominique
May 14th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Without proper preparation and match practice, yes.

She's not going to do it though. She wasn't good on clay, and she knows that.

Actually we agree on one thing: I don't really have a problem with Martina getting a WC.
I have a hard time to understand WHY Martina is asking for a WC. I don't see the point.
She doesn't want to play singles seriously again.
She doesn't need singles to practice for doubles.
She has little chance to win a round.

Of course she can do whatever she wants, but it should still be allowed to question her decisions when they don't seem to make sense.