PDA

View Full Version : Fans Meet Mary

educ00
May 13th, 2004, 02:43 PM
I strongly feel and believe that this thread & site gathers one of the most dedicated and loyal fans of Mary Pierce. Personally, Mary is my favorite and I have really been devastated by the lack of coverage she has received ever since slipping down in the rankings. There is very little and weak communication with Mary and her fans. I wonder, then, can everyone share their experiences meeting Mary and what you suggest we do about this? I know Mary is an avid user of email and internet. I do not know her email or personal mailing address of course but I am sure we contact the WTA Tour or something of the sort and try polishing a letter and invite her to use some sort of venue to update us monthly on her progress. It will take some time but I am sure we have great people to go on and do this.

I want to ask, who has met Mary and how? I did, in the 2000 US Open when I was 17 years old. I was in New York, and made her sign 8 different things. I am quite sure I freaked her out given that I am a male and was QUITE EXCITED to meet her. But, for me, it was an special moment in life. One that I remember fondly.

I am a fan of Venus Williams as well. And well, Venus sends us a recurring newsletter every month. It is a brief email outlining her interests, etc. Other players (Clijsters in particular) update their status on their website. Mary does not even have one. I feel like I do not know Mary and I think that would be a fantastic turn to her career now: to have an outlet for her fans. Mark, can perhaps post these newsletters in his website, who knows?

If you are interested, let's keep posting, start emailing journalists and others who can help us get in touch with Mary. Let's be hopeful!

MissTennisFan
May 13th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Hi Educ... I share the views expressed in your message, getting a monthly update on Mary directly from her would be great. In the past, I have also thought of such possibilities, especially in light of the fact that over the years I have heard numerous accounts of fans meeting Mary, and people invariably speak of how incredibly nice she always is. On the other hand, I have also learnt over the past few years that Mary is a very private person, and I wonder how her fans could go about doing this without being intrusive...?

educ00
May 13th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Well, we would not be intrusive by just coming together as fans from all over the world who craft a letter to Mary and suggest different ways in which she could update us on her progress. Perhaps, she could just create an email account in which she does not check email and just uses it to send us her monthly newsletter. As you say, Mary may hate this idea, but there is also the possibility that she may enjoy communicating with us.

Mark Spruce
May 13th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Hello Educ00 + MissTennisFan

This would be a super idea. And I would be completely happy for my site to be used to post the news etc..

Yes with Mary being a very private person we have to tread lightly and carefully. Maybe getting in contact with her Managment company. Maybe should might sent info though them etc...

take care

Mark

aimee20
May 14th, 2004, 11:23 AM
through her management company sounds good to me :rolleyes:
i'd love to support you guys. if there's anything i can do :wavey:

sebbe
May 14th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Hi guys.

I Like this idea alot, it will probably be a very difficult mission to complete=P
I talk with a tennispal from Italy, his coach had Mary's private
selfphone-number but I don't know if I can ask him about it.
As you guys said Mary is a very private person and that's also
a factor with the difficulties. But we can always try, would be soo
cool I think. I've never met any wta-players I just have Monica's autograph, just atp-players like, santoro, shrichapan, robredo, enqvist and a few more. It would be fantastic to create some contact with a wta-player and of course especially Mary(the queen).
Keep in touch about this guys.

Declan
May 14th, 2004, 03:51 PM
I mentioned this to Mark Spruce a while ago... I met Mary at Eastbourne two years ago. It's a very fan-friendly tournament with good access to the players, but I've never taken the chance with anyone before, respectful of the players' privacy and time-constraints. However, on this day Mary had finished a work-out on the practice courts with Nathalie Dechy and was taking a leisurely walk back to the changing rooms and she walked passed me by herself, and on impulse I said hello, and told her she'd always been my favourite player and wished her well at Wimbledon. She willingly posed for a photo with me as well, even though my friends had to fumble in their bags to find the camera and get it ready! She was charming and approachable, but afterwards I couldn't believe I'd spoken to her - I'm far too old for such hero-worship!

FanDeJen
May 14th, 2004, 04:33 PM
The first time I met Mary was in Mexico city (2000), she was there for the doubles exhibition tournament. My sister was part of the staff and she got me a badge as a player guest. So I could go everywhere...
I met her at the players lounge and she was cool, really nice and friendly. I talked to her for a few minutes, she was looking at all the autographs I had, and asking me questions about who had signed :) ... I also got a pic!
I met her again last year in Paris and then again at the usopen ... She´s really nice.

Mark Spruce
May 17th, 2004, 04:30 AM
Hello Sebbe--I think that idea of the Cell Phone number is totally out of the question. That would freak out Mary so much I would think, also I think that it is also not respecting Mary's privacy. I think that if we get this thing off the ground we should go though Mary's Management peope.

At Wimbledon 1999 I got a few auto's but I never met a player to talk too. I hope that one day I can meet Mary that would be just great.
I love all of these storys of people meeting Mary. Hey if you all go to my site you will find a mail address to contact me on. I would love to post these storys of you meeting Mary or you know of people that have met Mary.

take care

regards

Mark

sebbe
May 17th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Yeah I also think that..
But it feels like if we are going trough the Management peope, nothing
will happend. But of course we have to make a try.

MissTennisFan
May 17th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Well if we go through her agent, nothing may come of it as some of you have said, but I think asking Mary directly may be a little too forward... Mary shouldn't feel we're trying to pressure her into doing anything.

Tompier
May 17th, 2004, 08:15 PM
The first time I met Mary was in Mexico city (2000), she was there for the doubles exhibition tournament. My sister was part of the staff and she got me a badge as a player guest. So I could go everywhere...
I met her at the players lounge and she was cool, really nice and friendly. I talked to her for a few minutes, she was looking at all the autographs I had, and asking me questions about who had signed :) ... I also got a pic!
I met her again last year in Paris and then again at the usopen ... She´s really nice.

omg you are sooo lucky :)

Mark Spruce
May 17th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Hello Sebbe and MissTennisFan,

Yes you both have great points. But I think that we must respect Mary's privacy, as she is a very private person.

I think that it might be worth trying though the managment company. Maybe we can write a letter to Mary C/O one of the Grand Slams. That might be another way to try can get hold of her.

take care

regards

Mark

NicoMary
May 18th, 2004, 07:49 AM
i'v meet Mary two times the first time was in RG 2000, i saw her in double with martina Hingis against foretz, dechy or cocheteux....i was at the first place and every 3 games she was going on the other side of the court walking just behind me,:eek: i was in love....:hearts: the second time was this year in the open gaz de france aginst Parra, at the end of the match i'v ask her to sign a photo that i took in RG, i told her that she have made a good comeback match and she told me: "thank you" "nice picture" with her great smile:hearts: :worship:

Tompier
May 18th, 2004, 11:00 AM
noooooooo :bigcry: I want to meet Mary just like you guys

mamno_MARYFAN
May 18th, 2004, 12:40 PM
i'v meet Mary two times the first time was in RG 2000, i saw her in double with martina Hingis against foretz, dechy or cocheteux....i was at the first place and every 3 games she was going on the other side of the court walking just behind me,:eek: i was in love....:hearts: the second time was this year in the open gaz de france aginst Parra, at the end of the match i'v ask her to sign a photo that i took in RG, i told her that she have made a good comeback match and she told me: "thank you" "nice picture" with her great smile:hearts: :worship:
Hi...nicolas, I would love to see that picture...why don't u scan it and post it here for us sometime??;)

Oh gosh...I'm so jealous of hearing how u guys meet Mary...how I wish I could have done the same!!!!!!:hearts:

As for regular updates of Mary on Mark's website...i'm totally behind it 100%!!!!:bounce:

Go Mary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

NicoMary
May 18th, 2004, 03:29 PM
I would love to share with you some pictures that i took from Mary at RG or at the open gaz de france but my scanner is out of order:fiery: :sad: :sad: sorry

I had to say that i was very lucky the first time i met her, i was suppose to watch a men single match on the center court and because of a withdawal i decided to go watch some doubles...i came on a little court and Navratilova was playing double with a south american woman...seat i ask a lady in my back who was suppose to play after and she told me: "Martina Hingis and.................mary Pierce i think":eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

i was crazy...half an hour later Mary was coming....and a few days after she won the tournament.... In Nice i've meet Vénus williams for the first time i mean just near to me, she was going out of the court after a practice session and i was with a friend just near the door....i saw her in RG althought but in the center court

MissTennisFan
May 18th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Wow those are such amazing stories -- thanks for sharing them :wavey:

Is anyone planning to go to RG next week to get Mary's autograph?

Tompier
May 18th, 2004, 04:43 PM
I would if I could :)

Wizzy Maryfan
May 18th, 2004, 05:57 PM

I'll go to RG but I don't know if i will see mary :confused:

MissTennisFan
May 18th, 2004, 08:11 PM
I'll go to RG but I don't know if i will see mary :confused:
Well I certainly hope you do see her! :)

By the way, the French Tennis Magazine published an awesome letter about Mary in this month's issue... I was wondering if someone from this board sent it... like maybe Wizzy, Nicolas or Saby...?

saby
May 18th, 2004, 09:32 PM
It's not me but I want to tell the person who wrote one letter, maybe one or two months ago "thank you" this person wrote exactly what I think !!!
As usual "tennis magazine" answered by a ... well how should I say, like some people who does not want to admit their mistakes !! :fiery:

:angel: :angel: :angel:

saby
May 18th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Why not ask to Sven?
I do think it's the best way to reach Mary:wavey:

:angel: :angel: :angel:

MissTennisFan
May 18th, 2004, 10:03 PM
It's not me but I want to tell the person who wrote one letter, maybe one or two months ago "thank you" this person wrote exactly what I think !!!
As usual "tennis magazine" answered by a ... well how should I say, like some people who does not want to admit their mistakes !!That's exactly how I felt, the person who wrote that letter just expressed what -- I think -- all of Mary's fans have been saying for years. So if you're out there... thanks for letting the mass media know how we all feel!

I was also disappointed by the magazine's response, yet another example of the media's lackadaisical attitude when it comes to Mary.
Well I'll stop being negative now... go Mary!!! :bounce:

Mark Spruce
May 19th, 2004, 03:31 AM
I am so jelous of all the people that have seen Mary and even spoke to her.

Hi SABY--That is a great idea as well. maybe if we can get some more suggestion oh how we might go about this, we then can think of how to get hold of Mary just to see what she would think of the idea.

Also I think that Sven would be a great person to ask oh how Mary might feel about our idea ????

Hey please any one here that has met Mary or know of sotrys about fans meeting her please mail them to my address on my site www.mary-pierce.org (http://www.mary-pierce.org) and I will at a later date put them up on my site.

take care

Mark

MissTennisFan
May 20th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Are you guys suggesting we send Sven a letter or that someone speak to him during a tournament?

Mark Spruce
May 20th, 2004, 04:40 PM
MissTennisFan,

Well maybe you can do both. Try to speak to him and just explain about it and give him the letter ???

Mark

bilal
May 20th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Ok I have never met Mary but my best Mary experience was at an online chat.. I kept asking Mary if she had visited my website, but the moderators weren't letting my question through.. so I asked " how do you prepare for a match" and just 5 seconds later, I saw the question on screen.. I asked another question( dont remember what) and Mary said something like " hi bilal..." that hi bilal was soooo cool! then after Mary said she was leaving, I thought I should close the window, but suddenly I got a private message from the moderator and he said " Mary says she loves your website" I was like " OH MY GOD" but then I thought he is just saying that coz I kept sending those questions.. so I didn't think too much of it.
But then last year at the USO, one of my friends was watching Mary doing some practice and afterwards he asked her for an autograph, she was very nice to him.. then he asked her about my website, and Mary said somthing like " I dont visit websites regulerly but I remember that one.. tell your friend THANKS".... :bounce: still gives me goose bumps just talking about it! :bounce:

Mark Spruce
May 20th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Hello Bilz,

I know how you must feel about your site being visited by ther QUEEN. I know that Mary has visited my site as well.

I have never been on one of those online chats before with a player. I think that I will have to do so some time soon.

I am so glad to see you back posting again.

take care

Mark

bilal
May 20th, 2004, 08:36 PM
hey Mark! :wavey: I am sure she has visited your website too.. I really hope she has. You're doing a great job keeping the website updated. but you were always good at that. I remember back at the CNNSI forums, we were always posting new pics and stuff! :lol:

bilal
May 20th, 2004, 09:15 PM
I don't know if you guys are interested, but my friends (from CBS and CNNSI boards) and I sent a book to Mary about five years back. It was more like a photo album. I asked people to send messages to Mary on my website. Quite a large number of Mary fans emailed thier messages. I used Photoshop to make wallpaper style pages,put the messages on the pages, took printouts and then put them in a large photo album. One of my friends was going to the Chase Championships (1999). I mailed the album to him and he passed it on the Mary.
Now I might be going to Wimbledon this year. Even if I dont go, some of my friends will.. and if you guys think thats a good idea, we can make a book, or just a letter or anything like that and give our web addresses (Mark's and mine) to Mary.

Mark Spruce
May 20th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Hey BILZ that is such a great idea we can try that. It would be so cool if Mary would maybe though her agents tell as more and what she is doing TENNIS WISE etc..

Oh GOD those days on the CNSSI boards I wonder what ever happened to them they were very good.

take care

Mark

Mark Spruce
May 20th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Hi Bilz,

One thing that I am and I am sure the rest of us Mary fans here. Is if we give the book or letter straight to Mary it might freak:eek: her out a bit.

Personaly i would feel better if maybe the letter/book could go to Sven first and he could pass it on.
Well we can use this thread to disuss the idea etc..:bounce:

take care

Mark

"Sluggy"
Jun 15th, 2004, 02:02 PM
I have a question. What about putting together a fan support book for her? I dont think shed mind. It would be so easy to give it to her at the Open Gaz de France or Roland Garros. I easily could have given it to her at Roland Garros this year.... She was doing a signing and I said hi and told her she is terrific. Ive actually 'met' mary once at the open gaz de france, twice at RG so....

My question is this. What about buying what they call in France a livre dor. it is an expensive book with beautiful paper. then we could all type messages in color, with smilies, expressing our apprecation of her. then someone could glue them to each page and then have it given to Mary. It would be beautiful. I personall do not want to give it to her. But i suppose i could give it to someone else at a tournament and let them give it to her. it is just a thought. I would love her to receive something like that from her supporters. what do you think?.

"Sluggy"
Jun 15th, 2004, 02:07 PM

I got a few of her autos at RG last week...

"Sluggy"
Jun 15th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Just wanted to say I agree that giving something directly to a player could, as Mark says, freak them out. I can only imagine that to give her a beautiful professional fan mail book would make her happy. the livres dors that they have in france for this purpose is perfect. Just gotta figure out how to give it to her. I am certain though that if she attends the open gaz de france, if the book was given to the front desk where they all come in, they would give it to her...and she would not know where the book came from, and therefore the problem of giving to her would be solved. I know for a fact that Conchita received a book like this and she was deeply moved and appreciative.

LafandeMary
Jun 15th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Yes I think this is a great idea!
I don't know if it will freak her out, she will probably be very happy to receive that!
And we could be several fans to give her it, that would be nice ;)

"Sluggy"
Jun 15th, 2004, 02:39 PM
LafandeMary - do you livein paris? Are you going to the open gaz de france? do you know what i mean by a livre dor. they are beautiful and beautiful bound and on like gorgeious paper. they cost about 60 euros. do you know what i mean? People could just send me or someone else their colorful messages....print them out on a color printer and then just glue them to the livre dor. It would be beautiful and colorful. Im telling you, i met conchita at RG with another WTAWORLD memember, and we spoke about the book she was given and she was sooooo moved. so i think Mary would be happy about it. but yes, i do not want to be the one to give it to her. I am a man, and not a small one, i would absolutely just shoot myself if i upset, scared or anything like that her.

LafandeMary
Jun 15th, 2004, 03:24 PM
yes I think I know what you mean about the "livre d'or"
I don't live in Paris but in Nantes, and I come every year to the open gaz de france, and to roland garros!

That's funny to talk in english with a french guy :lol:

"Sluggy"
Jun 15th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Non en fait, je suis Americain, mais je parle courrament le francais mais je lecrit mal. Bien sur tu sais ce que cest un livre dor....cest pour un marriage ou quand quelquun quitte un cabinet....tu les achetes a printemps ou dautres grands magazins classes..

Ma femme est de Nantes et jy vais tous les 2 ou 3 mois. jaime beaucoup nantes. jai envoyé un email a Mark pour voir ce quil en pense. donc si on le fait tu pourrais donner ca a mary a lopen gaz? ou ensemble? mais pas moi tout seul, surtout pas. on peut se pmer aussi.

MissTennisFan
Jun 15th, 2004, 08:40 PM
I think that would make a nice gift for Mary. Recently, she just hasn't been getting the attention she deserves and it would be a nice reminder of the public's appreciation of her great game and personality.

I don't think she'd actually mind someone giving it to her in person; if it's done respectfully and the time and place are appropriate, I am sure she would appreciate it.

"Sluggy"
Jun 15th, 2004, 08:50 PM
I think that would make a nice gift for Mary. Recently, she just hasn't been getting the attention she deserves and it would be a nice reminder of the public's appreciation of her great game and personality.

I don't think she'd actually mind someone giving it to her in person; if it's done respectfully and the time and place are appropriate, I am sure she would appreciate it.

I agree. I think she would like it. Do you live in Paris? maybe you could give it to her or no a woman in paris who likes Mary who would like to give the livre dor to her? These books are leather bound and have beautiful skin paper. We would make it in color with smilies from private messages and carefull cut and paste them to the book. just need someone to do it...

MissTennisFan
Jun 15th, 2004, 10:13 PM
Unfortunately, no I don't; I live in Geneva, Switzerland. We could just mail it to her -- to Octagon, that is -- if we can't find anyone to give it to her in Paris. Or we could pick another venue, another tournament in Europe or the States maybe...?

Mark Spruce
Jun 16th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Hello MissTennisFan and FrogBurger.

Well I am sure that we can arrange somthing. FrogBurger I did send you an E-mail about introduction on this sunbject. If you could let me know what you think.

Oh the pic on my site from the Ordina Open, who is the Guy with Mary ???

take care

mark

"Sluggy"
Jun 16th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Unfortunately, no I don't; I live in Geneva, Switzerland. We could just mail it to her -- to Octagon, that is -- if we can't find anyone to give it to her in Paris. Or we could pick another venue, another tournament in Europe or the States maybe...?

This is a beautiful book and kinda expensive. i think if we mailed it to her we would always wonder if she got it. I can find someone to give it to her in Paris, but the question is will she be at the open gaz de france? If not anyway, Im sure she will be at Roland Garros next year. Too bad you live in Geneva MissTennisFan....maybe you could come to Paris anyway?

MissTennisFan
Jun 16th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Too bad you live in Geneva MissTennisFan....maybe you could come to Paris anyway?
Oh but I'd love to! Going to Roland-Garros would be a dream come true... who knows, maybe...

Thanks for bringing up the livre d'or idea FrogBurger...

"Sluggy"
Jun 16th, 2004, 10:18 AM
No Problem MissTennisFan. Who knows, maybe you could stay a night or two with me. thing is I am married with kids, and i cant make decisions like that alone. also hotels are pretty cheap, only about 50 euros. But we really need a woman or two or more in Paris to head this up. Mark will be posting a new thread, and he will get the ball rolling and make the necessary decisions. Roland Garros is wonderful, and i hope you get to go next year maybe?

MissTennisFan
Jun 16th, 2004, 10:26 AM
No Problem MissTennisFan. Who knows, maybe you could stay a night or two with me. thing is I am married with kids, and i cant make decisions like that alone. also hotels are pretty cheap, only about 50 euros. But we really need a woman or two or more in Paris to head this up. Mark will be posting a new thread, and he will get the ball rolling and make the necessary decisions. Roland Garros is wonderful, and i hope you get to go next year maybe?
If something like this worked, it would be awesome! If I could go to Paris next May, well I guess I'd try to find a nice little hotel not too far from Porte d'Auteuil. In any case I appreciate your offer. :wavey:

It would be nice if several of us here on the board could meet then, maybe go to (or several?) of Mary's matches together.

"Sluggy"
Jun 16th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Yes, that would be very cool. i think next year i will just spend the extra money for tickets to Suzanne Lenglen. they are 25 euros a peace instead of 18...not a big difference. that way i can see Mary. that would be cool to watch with other members. i met several of them at RG and said hi to players and watched matches with one really cool woman from the board. it was fun.