PDA

View Full Version : Is Anyone Else Starting To Wonder About Dinara Safina?

CJ07
May 12th, 2004, 07:17 PM
I know different players progress at different rates, but I definately though Dinara Safina would be atleast top 20 by now. She really hasn't progressed at the same rate that she did when at 15 she was a top 60 player. Although she's in the top 35, she's really plateaued.

Too many opportunities lost. She should've beaten Sharapova, and definately Zvonareva.

She really needs to do something quick because the clay season is about to end in a month or two.

DA FOREHAND
May 12th, 2004, 07:22 PM
What's to wonder about her? She has a famous brother. Perhaps she's just another russian tennis player, w/what appears to be loads of promise, but unable to step up and fufill the expectations.

Spunky83
May 12th, 2004, 07:24 PM
She´s so young, it shoudln´t be surprising that she can´t win so many matches in a row. I am sure that she can be a good top 20 player, if not better. Just give her some time.

CJ07
May 12th, 2004, 07:24 PM
What's to wonder about her? She has a famous brother. Perhaps she's just another russian tennis player, w/what appears to be loads of promise, but unable to step up and fufill the expectations.
what I meant was she was supposed to be better than Marat.
obviously, that's yet to happen

"Sluggy"
May 12th, 2004, 07:25 PM
OUch! is it time already to start doubting Dinara? I think shes gonna kick into gear soon. I hope so. she is so cute and seemingly nice. She looked really good at opengazdefrance. We shall see.

bandabou
May 12th, 2004, 07:28 PM
She seems to suffer from the same disease all Russian players suffer: they can´t get over the hump. Vera has it with getting in the top 10, Nadia has it with winning a title, etc..and Dinara has it with getting in the top 30.

They just don´t have the mental strength to deal with it, I guess.

CJ07
May 12th, 2004, 07:29 PM
OUch! is it time already to start doubting Dinara? I think shes gonna kick into gear soon. I hope so. she is so cute and seemingly nice. She looked really good at opengazdefrance. We shall see.
well Safina's tournaments are so spaced out
so I guess it may seem getting ahead....
I think she'd be better serviced playing 4 or 5 weeks in a row, then taking an extended break rather than 2 or 3 then a break.

Atleast untill she consistently starts reaching the SF's and F's

"Sluggy"
May 12th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Well til then ill just keep my fingers crossed. she made such a nice impression on me this year when i saw her live and face to face.

CJ07
May 12th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Well til then ill just keep my fingers crossed. she made such a nice impression on me this year when i saw her live and face to face.
really? She really got smoked by Clijsters though.

Has she made a dent against any top player?

miranda_lou
May 12th, 2004, 08:15 PM
what I meant was she was supposed to be better than Marat.
obviously, that's yet to happen
I think it was Marat who said that.:rolleyes: He obviously loves his sister and was answering a question about her potential.:tape: I haven't read where anyone else has said she could be "better" than Marat.

Actually, I don't think Dinera really has what it takes to be a top player. Maybe top 40-30 but definitely not top 10. I saw her play Anna K. last year in Miami and, of course, she beat Anna, but that wasn't anything to crow about.:lol: I've seen her play twice in person since then and both times she went down without a whimper.:rolleyes:

I'm afraid Dinera is destin to be "sister of" for all of her tennis career. Not as bad as Jaslyn but not particularly outstanding either. Cute girl, though.:hearts:

tenn_ace
May 12th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Actually, I don't think Dinera really has what it takes to be a top player. Maybe top 40-30 but definitely not top 10.
I like Dinara, but I agree that she's not a top 10 material. At least, yet. Top 20 - maybe. In fact, I have posted a similar thread in RR awhile ago.

She's not powerful/athletic enough to be the next Williams/Davenport, but not crafty enough to be Henin/Hingis. Her game is very one dimensional and her head is as :mad: as her brother's.

pav
May 12th, 2004, 08:57 PM
I don't get this attitude that Safina is a complete failure because She didn't beat the shit out of Zvonareva,like She was playing someone way below Her in the rankings

Epigone
May 12th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Too many opportunities lost. She should've beaten Sharapova, and definately Zvonareva.If Dinara couldn't handle Sharapova, why should she have definitely defeated Zvonareva? Vera is very inconsistent from set to set, and from match to match, so this was Vera's match to lose. Vera is one of the best claycourt players in the world, so I don't know why the result comes as a shock :confused: .

I think that Dinara has a great deal of talent, but she just hasn't made any big waves. She needs to play some Tier IIIs, and just generally get used to playing consistent tennis. Once she gets into a groove, the good results will come. I think that she will break into the top 20 and stay there.

mariok
May 12th, 2004, 11:23 PM
It's too early too say she's not good. She had some really nice results this year + the 2nd best result on a grand slam- she made it to the 3rd in OZ, at the USO she lost in the 4th. She didn't have luck with her draws and she didn't even play all that much. I've never seen her playing, so I cannot say if she's a top10 material or not, but, maybe, she's being careful, trying not to play too many tournaments, at least not yet. She is improving her ranking, I think she is yet to be on the rise. We shall see, but I'm sure she'll get to top20 and then it's all up to her. Good luck, Dinara!

Martian KC
May 12th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Like her brother, Dinara has become a headcase.:rolleyes: Only time will tell.

Mariangelina
May 13th, 2004, 12:11 AM
Not only is she a superstar's sister, she's Marat Safin's sister. He's not exactly Mr. Overachiever. Dinara's still young. She didn't play much juniors and appeared on tour kinda late. Marats brotherly pride may have got the better of him, but I think Dinara definitely has Top 20 potential, at least.

BK4ever
May 13th, 2004, 12:37 AM
Dinara's main problem is her head :sad:

Her second problem is that she is just not aggressive enough to make it to the top. The way the game is going, you have to be able to hit winners consistently and from anywhere on the court..thats just the reality of the game and if she keeps on being passive she will never reach top 20.

ico4498
May 13th, 2004, 12:38 AM
the tale of the two Martinas should have proven, beyond doubt, that the race is not always for the swift, but also for those that can endure.

way too early for conclusions on Safina.

Gowza
May 13th, 2004, 12:50 AM
dinara has promise but imo not as much as zvonareva, sharapova, kuznetsova etc at the rate she was going when she was 15 i did expect her to be in the top 20 by now however in the last year ive not been so tough on the young players that i follow. dinara is still improving which is the main thing she hasnt gone backwards. i have a feeling by the end of the year she will be in the top 25 maybe even top 20.

*JR*
May 13th, 2004, 02:49 AM
Like her brother, Dinara has become a headcase.:rolleyes: Only time will tell.
Coach Choudury specializes in headcases, As A Suisse Situation Showed in '02. ;)

Fantastic
May 13th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Dinara started 2004 with some great results that took her ranking from the low-50s to the high-30s. Then wasn't she injured only 3 or 4 weeks ago? Perhaps, the injury is effecting her confidence at the moment. Taking sets off Maria and Vera shows she's at least being competitive despite the setback. Let's not overreact to her recent results just yet. The year is young and all it takes is a good draw and one good win to send a player on a hot streak. Even the very elite players have a couple of lacklustre weeks.

Experimentee
May 13th, 2004, 02:43 PM
I think shes doing ok. She had a great result earlier this year and has been improving every year and getting better wins. She is progressing up the rankings, slowly but surely. You cant expect all players to develop at the same rate. I dont believe she will be greater than marat, but certainly she is talented enough to be top 20 or even top 15.