PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with Mary?

Declan
May 12th, 2004, 04:26 PM
I'm seriously concerned now. I've followed her career from the start and I've never known her perform so disappointingly in consecutive tournaments on her beloved clay. She should never lose to a player with Sugiyama's clay court credentials, whatever her ranking. As I pointed out the other day, at Sarasota at the start of the 2002 season Mary was totally rusty after 9 months out, and overweight with not being able to train properly - and she still caned Sugiyama on clay 6-3 6-3. What's different now? Teaming up with Sven Groeneveld just before Wimbledon last year seemed to turn around Mary's fitness and indeed her career - within six months her ranking had climbed from 83 to 34, and I felt so confident in the season ahead. Mary's blistering start in Paris when she made her first final since Roland Garros 2000 confirmed this, but since...first a standstill, now a definite regression. Has anyone seen her play since Paris? What's different? What's not working? Has anyone read any interviews or does anyone know anything about what's behind this current (very) lean spell? I mean, come on - yesterday we were all excited because Mary had won a match against a Qualifier !!

Piotrek
May 12th, 2004, 04:36 PM
I'm seriously concerned now. I've followed her career from the start and I've never known her perform so disappointingly in consecutive tournaments on her beloved clay. She should never lose to a player with Sugiyama's clay court credentials, whatever her ranking. As I pointed out the other day, at Sarasota at the start of the 2002 season Mary was totally rusty after 9 months out, and overweight with not being able to train properly - and she still caned Sugiyama on clay 6-3 6-3. What's different now? Teaming up with Sven Groeneveld just before Wimbledon last year seemed to turn around Mary's fitness and indeed her career - within six months her ranking had climbed from 83 to 34, and I felt so confident in the season ahead. Mary's blistering start in Paris when she made her first final since Roland Garros 2000 confirmed this, but since...first a standstill, now a definite regression. Has anyone seen her play since Paris? What's different? What's not working? Has anyone read any interviews or does anyone know anything about what's behind this current (very) lean spell? I mean, come on - yesterday we were all excited because Mary had won a match against a Qualifier !!
:sad:

mamno_MARYFAN
May 12th, 2004, 05:02 PM
I have to agree...

I hate to be pessimistic about Mary...but this is the worst slump that she had for a very, very long time....:sad:

But then...just a bit of a positive note here...at least she won a match...:)

Good luck Mary....!!!!!!!!!:bounce:

sebbe
May 12th, 2004, 05:11 PM

Agree with you declan....I really don't understand what the problem is.
We shouldn't forget though that Mary always have had some difficulties
with Ai but Mary should win on clay.
I was also soo exited after the final in Paris but after that, everything has just crashed. The strange thing is that Mary herself says clay is her best surface, well we can really see that now. I don't want to be negative but if feels like I don't really know. I didn't even believe that Mary was going to win against Dulko.

ashwu
May 12th, 2004, 06:12 PM
it's like 2000 again... i just hope mary could do well in roland garros too this time

Mark Spruce
May 12th, 2004, 06:36 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Maybe she needs to have a talk with David get some pointers or just some kind and caring words from him will help:bounce: :bounce:

Also I think that AI is a bogy player for Mary.

Well yes she has at least got one match won this week:bounce:

regards

Mark

morbidangle
May 12th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Mark I know you think David is the best coach for Mary, but I think Sven is just as good, if not better.

Ai is a tough opponent for Mary, she has now won 4 of her last 5 matches with Mary. I'm not that surprised that Mary lost to her, even on clay... its the scoreline that bothers me. Mary surely could've done better.. I dont know whats going on.. I just hope Mary picks up her form at Roland Garros, thats the one that matters for most!

Mark Spruce
May 12th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Morbidangle, No I did not mean David to coach Mary again. I think that Sven is the best. Just to speak to David, maybe he can just give that extra encouragment etc..

I do like Sven allot.

Wizzy Maryfan
May 12th, 2004, 08:20 PM
I have read that Mary wasn't fast at all ... it seems she is not in shape.

=> Elle aurait grossi il parâit :confused: :sad:

Declan
May 12th, 2004, 08:45 PM
I think Sven is obviously a great influence on Mary, which is why the last few tournaments have puzzled me. I know this may be controversial, but I sometimes wish Mary would also work with her Father again, at least from time-to-time. I know he worked with her intensively in a 'back to basics' capacity in early 2000, just before the Family Circle Cup - and look what happened there, and in the following few months!

Mark Spruce
May 12th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Hello Declan, I kow what you mean. As in 2000 before RG she had been with her father for some time hitting a few balls etc.. But I am a little weary of that man. He put Mary though so much HELL :fiery:

We must continue to support and cheer Mary.

But is is puzzeling to me this past few competitions. What has happened then if she is indeedo out of shame. I find that a bit hard to believe.

take care

Mark

Declan
May 12th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Hello Declan, I kow what you mean. As in 2000 before RG she had been with her father for some time hitting a few balls etc.. But I am a little weary of that man. He put Mary though so much HELL :fiery:

We must continue to support and cheer Mary.

But is is puzzeling to me this past few competitions. What has happened then if she is indeedo out of shame. I find that a bit hard to believe.

take care

Mark

I do, too, Mark. I saw her matches against Golovin and Clijsters at Paris on TV and it was really the 'old' Mary again, in shape and performance. She was supposedly working hard thereafter on preparing for the clay court season, so why should she have gotten out of shape so quickly?

educ00
May 12th, 2004, 09:59 PM
I think coaching is what is wrong with Mary. I saw a question the other day about other players, and the question was "are the ___ sisters burnout or snakebit?" The same question applies to Mary, let's hope that it is the latter.

I think Mary's decision to move to Amsterdam and leave Florida was not the best. I think she was well established in the US and right after moving to Amsterdam post Paris this Winter, her slump began. Mary is mentally weak and I think this move may not have helped. I think the question owes to coaching. We should hope for the best and for some turning tables in Paris and the upcoming summer season.

A title should be in the horizon, right?

Mark Spruce
May 13th, 2004, 04:57 AM
Hello Declan--Well I hope soon that things will turn around.

EDUC00-- Maybe another thing to thinkg about maybe it is taking time for Mary to settle into life in Europe. It is different from living in the USA. It is just a thought though.

I hope so to your last point.

take care

Mark