PDA

View Full Version : Infamous Dewulf translates Justine's Biography

DelMonte
May 11th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Source: http://www.henin-hardenne.be/bin/index.asp?lang=en

Mixed feelings about the Dutch version of Justine's biography...
10/05/2004:

For a couple of weeks now, there is a Dutch version of Justines biography on sale at the better bookstores. A must for every Dutch fan, but Justine herself has mixed feelings about it.

April 2003: Justines fans were pleasantly surprised by a biography about her professional and private life in French. Le bonheur au bout du court , written by Patrick Haumont and authorized by Justine herself, became a must for every Belgian and French fan and was old out in no time.

Shortly after, a second French version was published. For a couple of weeks now, there is also a Dutch version of the book..
Great joy for the Flemish (BE) and Dutch fans, unfortunately, there is still no translation in English..
But Justine herself is not that pleased with the Dutch version, she has some mixed feelings about it. She always wanted a Dutch translation of the book for her fans but the fact Filip Dewulf wrote it, doesnt make her very happy. And thats not something she hides!

(editorial note: After the US Open 2003, Filip Dewulf doubted the origin of Justines muscles and insinuated she took some kind of drugs to enhance them.)

Allez-H
May 11th, 2004, 08:41 PM
I totally agree with her.Dude has the phonenumber of J,why the hell did he never call to excuse himself?Is he too chicken too say it in person?
I'm sorry but I lost allot of respect for that guy...

Spunky83
May 11th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Isnt it ironic?...

Well, however...that book should be released in english soon! I wanna read it too...

~|Naomi|~
May 12th, 2004, 05:48 AM
Dewulf:mad: He is ths stupid reason that everyone took Lei's comments as Justine is on drugs cause he had already said it so they linked Lei's with his comments and were all like yes Lei said it to:rolleyes: Lei never said it:mad:
Why couldn't Justine have chosen someone else? I'm sure there are professionals who do this:)

CooCooCachoo
May 12th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Isnt it ironic?...

Don't you think? A little too ironic.. ;)

Greenout
May 12th, 2004, 06:11 AM
I think one of the other items of irksomeness for Justine, besides the
fact that Dewulf transtated it, is that he deleted her "Forward" which
revealed a personal message about why she decided to write the book,
and inserted his "Forward" in translating the book. He sort of grovels
for her forgiveness in the his newly translated Dutch version. :p

Is this guy a jackass or what? :lol:

Gandalf
May 12th, 2004, 06:54 AM
He's the Belgian Pat Cash. Start telling us about your love life, Filip! We care soooooo much!

Martian KC
May 12th, 2004, 06:59 AM
for her forgiveness in the his newly translated Dutch version. :p

Is this guy a jackass or what? :lol:

:haha:

Allez-H
May 12th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Dewulf:mad: He is ths stupid reason that everyone took Lei's comments as Justine is on drugs cause he had already said it so they linked Lei's with his comments and were all like yes Lei said it to:rolleyes: Lei never said it:mad:
Why couldn't Justine have chosen someone else? I'm sure there are professionals who do this:)
Don't come down here and say that Lei didn't insinuate anything,cuz that's bullshit.He had his share in this case too,and he knows it damn well.

Sarah<Kim-fan>
May 12th, 2004, 12:54 PM
I think it's time for Justine to get over it. I agree, it was very unfair and stupid what Filip Dewulf said, I'm not really a fan of his, but I don't think it's a good idea from Justine to keep talking about it in the media... though I can understand she isn't happy that from all 10 million belgian people he is the exact one choosen to translate her book...

pigam
May 12th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Let's please leave it at this.
Justine is very honest. In her heart she hasn't forgiven Dewulf, so she
refuses to 'act as if she did' just to please some poeple.

The awfull thing is Dewulf never (!!) apologised to Justine in private,
but now uses the book in which she shows her deepest feelings to appolise!
That's right! He LEFT OUT Justine's introduction
-the part where she explains WHY she writes the book-
and REPLACED it by his own apologies.
To put clear; he is now making money at the expense of a person
he hurt very deeply.
It's his choice, but if I were him, I wouldn't even DARE to translate the book
and take my own conclusions.

Justine doesn't 'condamn' the Flemish peope who buy this book,
she has every right to let her fans know, she isn't happy with the choice
of the translator.

Eurotennisfan
May 12th, 2004, 01:02 PM
He's the Belgian Pat Cash. Start telling us about your love life, Filip! We care soooooo much!
:lol: :lol: :tape:

Allez-H
May 12th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Let's please leave it at this.
Justine is very honest. In her heart she hasn't forgiven Dewulf, so she
refuses to 'act as if she did' just to please some poeple.

The awfull thing is Dewulf never (!!) apologised to Justine in private,
but now uses the book in which she shows her deepest feelings to appolise!
That's right! He LEFT OUT Justine's introduction
-the part where she explains WHY she writes the book-
and REPLACED it by his own apologies.
To put clear; he is now making money at the expense of a person
he hurt very deeply.
It's his choice, but if I were him, I wouldn't even DARE to translate the book
and take my own conclusions.

Justine doesn't 'condamn' the Flemish peope who buy this book,
she has every right to let her fans know, she isn't happy with the choice
of the translator.
:worship: :worship:
It's not up to us to decide whether she needs to get over it or not,it's up to her.He hurted her feelings not ours.I still find it childish of him.I mean his comments offcourse,but also his behaviour afterwoods too.The minute he noticed that people (that includes the general audience and even the journalists) took his comments very bad and totally disagreed with him,he suddenly changed his mind and thought his comments were totally moronic.Didn't it had to do more with the fact that he might just lose the last 'grain' of respect he got from the audience?Or maybe it'd jeopordize his jobs as a columnwriter for a couple of papers?He's 'man' enough to apolagise himself publicly but he can't even make a simple phonecal to Justine?That's plain bullshit ....

That's what I love about J:she's honest.She doesn't like the guy?She isn't gonna fake that she loves him.Her reaction when she got back from the USO
wAS just so mature and professional.I loved the 'My only doping is hard work'.Even the big idiot himself said that he felt like a total fool after he saw justines reaction on his comments:while his were total rubbish,hers were extremely professional.

Greenout
May 12th, 2004, 01:31 PM
I think it's time for Justine to get over it. I agree, it was very unfair and stupid what Filip Dewulf said, I'm not really a fan of his, but I don't think it's a good idea from Justine to keep talking about it in the media... though I can understand she isn't happy that from all 10 million belgian people he is the exact one choosen to translate her book...

Heard the song remake song "It's My Life" by No Doubt, originally
by great 80's band Talk Talk. Well, the lyrics says it all. Justine
chooses to live her life the way she feels. There's been always
been the tug between doing what's proper and taking it in a direction
she can feel comfortable with. I don't think you have the right, nor
the understanding to say what she shouldn't say out to her supporters
on the official website. To be fair; the comment she made wasn't
directed as a PR press statement - it was just something to the
supporters. You do know that Justine doesn't gain income off her
book, since her royalties profits goes directly into her charity project.
It's a personal book for a personal cause- isn't it any wonder that
she's taking this personally?.

Odd, but I think your taking this issue personally as a pin prick to
someone that's close to the player you support, mainly Kimmy.
If you feel guilty about what happen, don't try to turn things around
and blame Justine for it. Remember she was the at the receiving
end of Lei's and Dewulf's hi-jinx?.

Peace.

bandabou
May 12th, 2004, 01:40 PM
The guy has some balls for sure! I mean if Ive offended someone the way he did, Id never even think about doing anything in name of the person Ive offended. I hate you, I dont deal with you...simple.

Greenout
May 12th, 2004, 01:43 PM
The guy has some balls for sure! I mean if Ive offended someone the way he did, Id never even think about doing anything in name of the person Ive offended. I hate you, I dont deal with you...simple.

:haha: I still can't believe he omitted to translate her "Forward/Intro"
to the book and include his own crap! :p

Allez-H
May 12th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Well,i'm thinking that he's the kinda guy who thinks:any publicity is good publicity.He just needs the attention soooooooo bad,that he'd do anything.If I was him,I would've just dropped the project in respect for Justine but also for himself for God sake.I mean,firts you totally diss a girl and the next day you come up with the translation of her biography and you praise her.Make up your mind dude... :rolleyes:

Sarah<Kim-fan>
May 12th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Heard the song remake song "It's My Life" by No Doubt, originally
by great 80's band Talk Talk. Well, the lyrics says it all. Justine
chooses to live her life the way she feels. There's been always
been the tug between doing what's proper and taking it in a direction
she can feel comfortable with. I don't think you have the right, nor
the understanding to say what she shouldn't say out to her supporters
on the official website. To be fair; the comment she made wasn't
directed as a PR press statement - it was just something to the
supporters. You do know that Justine doesn't gain income off her
book, since her royalties profits goes directly into her charity project.
It's a personal book for a personal cause- isn't it any wonder that
she's taking this personally?.

Odd, but I think your taking this issue personally as a pin prick to
someone that's close to the player you support, mainly Kimmy.
If you feel guilty about what happen, don't try to turn things around
and blame Justine for it. Remember she was the at the receiving
end of Lei's and Dewulf's hi-jinx?.

Peace.
first of all, this has nothing to do with the fact that I'm a Kim-fan, in fact, I like Justine too, I saw her playing several times, and she's great, I just like Kim a little bit more than Justine, me being a Kim-fan doesn't mean I hate Justine!
I'm sorry you took my comments this way, I didn't mean to blame Justine for anything she said or did.
I just wanted to say what I thought was the best to do in a situation like this, which is IMO just ignore stupid comments...
I think it's great from Justine that she doesn't care about what other people think at that she just goes on with her life. I think she's a great player and a great person, I really do, though you probably find that hard to believe from a person with Kim Clijsters in her signature;)
I just hope that you all understand that I didn't mean anything bad with my post, on the contrary!
hope you understand what I'm trying to say...

Allez-H
May 12th, 2004, 01:48 PM
first of all, this has nothing to do with the fact that I'm a Kim-fan, in fact, I like Justine too, I saw her playing several times, and she's great, I just like Kim a little bit more than Justine, me being a Kim-fan doesn't mean I hate Justine!
I'm sorry you took my comments this way, I didn't mean to blame Justine for anything she said or did.
I just wanted to say what I thought was the best to do in a situation like this, which is IMO just ignore stupid comments...
I think it's great from Justine that she doesn't care about what other people think at that she just goes on with her life. I think she's a great player and a great person, I really do, though you probably find that hard to believe from a person with Kim Clijsters in her signature;)
I just hope that you all understand that I didn't mean anything bad with my post!
hope you understand what I'm trying to say...
We do..It's just a very delicate issue.

Greenout
May 12th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Ok. Sure Sarah. :) I really think what pissed her off was the omission of
her "Forward/Introduction" in the beginning of the book, and the inclusion
of Dewulf's personal message. I think the publishers screwed up! I hope
when the English edition get's released that they make sure the "Forward"
by Justine is included.

CooCooCachoo
May 12th, 2004, 01:52 PM
for her forgiveness in the his newly translated Dutch version.

:D

Lady
May 12th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Oh, Sarah, I wanted to give a rep for your post, but need to wait these 24 hours ;)

Thank you for your post, we understand :)

Sometimes, we're too sensitive ;) lol

Sarah<Kim-fan>
May 12th, 2004, 01:55 PM
We do..It's just a very delicate issue.
it certainly is!

Ok. Sure Sarah. I really think what pissed her off was the omission of
her "Forward/Introduction" in the beginning of the book, and the inclusion
of Dewulf's personal message. I think the publishers screwed up! I hope
when the English edition get's released that they make sure the "Forward"
by Justine is included.
which is understandable, he just shouldn't have done that,
I hope for you guys there will be an English translation very soon!
Oh, Sarah, I wanted to give a rep for your post, but need to wait these 24 hours
Thank you for your post, we understand
Sometimes, we're too sensitive lol
:) I think we all are when it comes to our favourit player

and, this was my last post in this thread, don't want to get in any more trouble ;) :tape:

bandabou
May 12th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Well,i'm thinking that he's the kinda guy who thinks:any publicity is good publicity.He just needs the attention soooooooo bad,that he'd do anything.If I was him,I would've just dropped the project in respect for Justine but also for himself for God sake.I mean,firts you totally diss a girl and the next day you come up with the translation of her biography and you praise her.Make up your mind dude... :rolleyes:

But some people dont have spine....they have two-faces.

flyingmachine
May 12th, 2004, 03:04 PM
I just wonder what kind of balls he has. :scratch: Tennis balls? Golf balls? Footballs? I just don't think he has any balls whatsoever. He's just wants attentions. :fiery: Don't think he has a done a good job on that either Justine wants a her forword notices in her book so she can explain to fans the reason she wrote the book. Yet he's didn't put it. This not all remembered what he's saying about Justine's muscules after she won the US open along with Lei. If you are a sportman/sportwomen and someone is accues you using drugs and there is no evidence for it you will be truly pissed off by it. That's what she is feel about Dewulf the irony of all this is that he is also the person who is tranlate her book with can be a very personal thing. Anyway I just fed up with all this :mad: I just the accident will be closed from now on. :fiery:

Allez-H
May 12th, 2004, 03:07 PM
it certainly is!

which is understandable, he just shouldn't have done that,
I hope for you guys there will be an English translation very soon!

:) I think we all are when it comes to our favourit player

and, this was my last post in this thread, don't want to get in any more trouble ;) :tape:
You're not in trouble :) Just like Lady said:we are just very sensitive but also very harmless at the same time :angel:

I wanted to rep you back but I have to wait 24 hours too :(

bandabou
May 12th, 2004, 03:18 PM
I just wonder what kind of balls he has. :scratch: Tennis balls? Golf balls? Footballs? I just don't think he has any balls whatsoever. He's just wants attentions. :fiery: Don't think he has a done a good job on that either Justine wants a her forword notices in her book so she can explain to fans the reason she wrote the book. Yet he's didn't put it. This not all remembered what he's saying about Justine's muscules after she won the US open along with Lei. If you are a sportman/sportwomen and someone is accues you using drugs and there is no evidence for it you will be truly pissed off by it. That's what she is feel about Dewulf the irony of all this is that he is also the person who is tranlate her book with can be a very personal thing. Anyway I just fed up with all this :mad: I just the accident will be closed from now on. :fiery:

You said it.....

DA FOREHAND
May 12th, 2004, 03:34 PM
"Justine is very honest. "

Looked like you had a good post, but you lost me after that statement. The hand seen round the world was not that of an honest person.

pigam
May 12th, 2004, 03:39 PM

Looked like you had a good post, but you lost me after that statement. The hand seen round the world was not that of an honest person.
OUCH! :sad:
That hurts :sad: :bigcry:
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2003/20030622/s6.jpg

Martian KC
May 12th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Has Dewulf apologised at all? If he hasn't, how can Justine get over it?

DA FOREHAND
May 12th, 2004, 03:56 PM
LOL

Karma's gonna getcha! :wavey:

bandabou
May 12th, 2004, 03:58 PM
:lol: DAANNNGGG!!

DelMonte
May 12th, 2004, 04:11 PM
I find this whole story rather strange. I confess I know nothing about the applicable/relevant law in this area, but I would be interested to know whether this Dutch version of Justine's biography is published by the same publishing house as the original French one and also whether there were any legal mechanisms (e.g. an injunction) Justine could have resorted to prevent Dewulf from translating this book. I also assume that Dewulf would have had to seek permission from the publishers to translate the book and it seems astonishing that such permission should have been granted given the whole history between Dewulf and Justine.

However, the strangest aspect of this story is Dewulf himself. For want of a better phrase: "What the hell??!!". Why is the person who insinuated that Justine was doping -just about the most serious allegation you can make against a professional athlete- translating her book when they are not even on speaking terms? If this is some sort of (sad) attempt to atone for what he said, then why not do this through Justine herself? I, for one, am very sceptical of his motives.

At the end of the day, I think what Dewulf did was highly inappropriate and amounts a form of violation. From what I gather (not having read the it), Justine's book was a rather personal attempt to explain some things about herself, her up-bringing etc and I don't think it's right that the person who was responsible for one of the bleakest moments in her professional career should be part of that endeavor. Whatever his motives may have been, Dewulf should not have done this OR he should have done this only with Justine's express permission and agreement at every single step. The replacement of the foreword with his own piece of writing is, in my view, a sad attempt to insert himself in Justine's story.

Whatever people might think about Justine (and I am both a fan and a critic), she's handled the Dewulf debacle really well and I don't think it's right that Dewulf should now continue to 'force himself' on Justine by translating her book. Leave her alone, already!

DelMonte

PS Next thing we'll hear is that John MacEnroe is writing a biography on Vee and Serena. EEK!

Lady
May 12th, 2004, 04:36 PM
For everyone interested, there's a thread in Justine Time "Justine speaks...", where great members of WTA World & JPS, pigam & fleemke, translated some parts of the book, including Justine's preface! ;)

Allez-H
May 12th, 2004, 04:45 PM
For everyone interested, there's a thread in Justine Time "Justine speaks...", where great members of WTA World & JPS, pigam & fleemke, translated some parts of the book, including Justine's preface! ;)
Yep,and it it's a very emotional part so for the people who are intrested in Justines book,you just might need some tissues :sad:

The Crow
May 12th, 2004, 04:51 PM
I find this whole story rather strange. I confess I know nothing about the applicable/relevant law in this area, but I would be interested to know whether this Dutch version of Justine's biography is published by the same publishing house as the original French one and also whether there were any legal mechanisms (e.g. an injunction) Justine could have resorted to prevent Dewulf from translating this book. I also assume that Dewulf would have had to seek permission from the publishers to translate the book and it seems astonishing that such permission should have been granted given the whole history between Dewulf and Justine.

However, the strangest aspect of this story is Dewulf himself. For want of a better phrase: "What the hell??!!". Why is the person who insinuated that Justine was doping -just about the most serious allegation you can make against a professional athlete- translating her book when they are not even on speaking terms? If this is some sort of (sad) attempt to atone for what he said, then why not do this through Justine herself? I, for one, am very sceptical of his motives.

At the end of the day, I think what Dewulf did was highly inappropriate and amounts a form of violation. From what I gather (not having read the it), Justine's book was a rather personal attempt to explain some things about herself, her up-bringing etc and I don't think it's right that the person who was responsible for one of the bleakest moments in her professional career should be part of that endeavor. Whatever his motives may have been, Dewulf should not have done this OR he should have done this only with Justine's express permission and agreement at every single step. The replacement of the foreword with his own piece of writing is, in my view, a sad attempt to insert himself in Justine's story.

Whatever people might think about Justine (and I am both a fan and a critic), she's handled the Dewulf debacle really well and I don't think it's right that Dewulf should now continue to 'force himself' on Justine by translating her book. Leave her alone, already!

DelMonte

PS Next thing we'll hear is that John MacEnroe is writing a biography on Vee and Serena. EEK!
Good post! I'm assuming Justine must have signed something so Filip could translate this book. Maybe he already had the signed contract before his comments last year?

Allez-H
May 12th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Good post! I'm assuming Justine must have signed something so Filip could translate this book. Maybe he already had the signed contract before his comments last year?
Yep they did but I still think they could've arranged it so that Filip didn't had the right to translate it but they just didn't mind anymore since it would take in so much times and efforts.

nicky
May 12th, 2004, 05:12 PM

I heard on the radio (some time ago) that Dewulf was asked by the publisher to do this translation - I suppose with Justine's consent- before the whole incident. So he was already working on this translation when the doping row started. And I guess there was a contract, so probably the publisher could't really back out.

I think it's even very well possible that the publisher didn't mind Dewulf translating, because, admit it, it brought a lot of extra publicity. And all publicity is good publicity, as we all know ;). After all, Justine may not make money out of this book, but the publisher definitely does.

The omission of the preface however, is to a large extent the fault of the publisher. He should have realised it was important, and it could easily have been put into the book as well as the "justification" of Dewulf :shrug:

lauryn
May 12th, 2004, 05:12 PM
I think Dewulf was supposed to write the dutch version before he opened his big mouth after the US Open. We didn't get any news updates about the Dutch version, I thought someone else would write it now. But then a week ago I read that the book was out, written by Filip. :( So I guess they agreed to do this before the whole incident, still Filip should have known to step back

Fedcup
May 12th, 2004, 05:48 PM
you can forgive somebody but you can't forget.

Just like Justine will never forget this. She'll maybe forggive him but that won't say she's big friends again. I'm sure she would have preferred another translator

Fingon
May 12th, 2004, 05:53 PM

oh dear :rolleyes:

DelMonte
May 12th, 2004, 08:03 PM
I heard on the radio (some time ago) that Dewulf was asked by the publisher to do this translation - I suppose with Justine's consent- before the whole incident. So he was already working on this translation when the doping row started. And I guess there was a contract, so probably the publisher could't really back out.

aah, ok. thanks for clarifying.

Spunky83
May 12th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Its all about DA HAND...when will it ever stop?

DA FOREHAND
May 12th, 2004, 08:35 PM
someone brought up character, namely her honesty...I presented exhibit A

( :wavey: )

SJW
May 12th, 2004, 08:41 PM

pffffffffffffffffffftttttttttt :p

Juju #1
May 12th, 2004, 09:11 PM
http://smileys.******************/cat/11/11_2_2.gif

Greenout
May 12th, 2004, 11:35 PM
"Paging! Flip Dewulf! Flip Dewulf! Your up next, here's the knee pads
and don't forget the bib!"
http://www.wtnphotos.com/data/510/12003-ausopen375.jpg

:p

Martian KC
May 12th, 2004, 11:53 PM

Never. They only bring it up whenever they don't have anything else to critique about. :wavey: Pathetic, I know!

Fingon
May 13th, 2004, 01:13 AM
Never. They only bring it up whenever they don't have anything else to critique about. :wavey: Pathetic, I know!
He sounds like and old frustrated single woman doesn't he?