PDA

View Full Version : Have you read this?

!<blocparty>!
May 11th, 2004, 09:26 PM
I was reading Ace tennis magazine, and I was apalled at one of the letters i read. No doubt some of you have read it, but for those who havent, heres what iot said:

Players should Cover Up

Dear Ace

Having seen Serena Williams's latest figure hugging outfit, I feel it is about time the tennis authorites imposed guidlines for what is permissable on the tennis court and what is not. Wimbledon, which is one tournament where outrageous and totally inappropriate clothing is unlikely to be countenanced, apparently has a dress code that requires "almost entirely white and customary tennis attire". I was dismayed when players like Robbi Ginepri and Max Mirnyi were allowed to wear sleveless shirts at Wimbledon last year, and how I shudder to think what Serena will be allowed to get away with.
There is no reason why tennis players should be allowed to reveal more flesh: now that we are being warned of the dangers of exposing our skin to the sun for too long, it is surely safe to cover up. And nobidy would expect cricketers, golfers or footballers wear outfits as revealing as those that some of our tennis stars are parading about in.
Although Serena claims she is more comfortable in her skimpy, two pice bikini, I tend to take a cynical view. I note that Serena has recently singed a multi-million clothing contract with Nike, and in order to gain maximum attention, her clothes have been designed to be as titillating as possible.

Marjori, Kent

Wow, what a hater, and old fashioned biddy!

She must still be living in the Victorian age.
Do you think that is totally stupid?

Dava
May 11th, 2004, 09:31 PM
I thought it was a bit harsh, you know Serena isnt the only girl whos wearing this outfit, but at least it looks good on her. Ok its not for Wimbledon but sometimes you get the skimpier outfits to deal with the climate.

croat123
May 11th, 2004, 09:32 PM
someone actually wrote that :o :help:

Kart
May 11th, 2004, 09:33 PM
LOL at the sleeveless shirt comment. Next she'll want them to stop wearing shorts ...

The woman has a point about the risks of long term sun exposure though but something tells me she's not overly concerned with Serena's health :rolleyes:.

ico4498
May 11th, 2004, 09:35 PM
dang ... Kent needs an enema.

Martian Willow
May 11th, 2004, 09:36 PM
...I'm surprised it wasn't signed Appalled of Tunbridge Wells...Ace is an LTA magazine...what do you expect...? :)

Allez-H
May 11th, 2004, 09:37 PM
i'm totaly ok with the outfits but I personally think that the outfits at Wimbledon should be a lil' more 'classic'.Hey,I'm a teenager I love that kind of stuff but I don't know,we're talking about Wimbledon here.It's a special GS not like the other ones.In the beginning I also thought: playing in white????WTF???But very soon I undertsood why:the contrast of the white on the green is just beautiful.So I think that the outfits could be a lil' more classical.I mean like,the ussual not the the outfit ala bikini of Serena.
But that's my opinion.I also hope Justine will were sleeves at Wimbledon but there's a good chance she'll be playing sleeveless again.It's not like it's the end of the world or something.

!<blocparty>!
May 11th, 2004, 09:39 PM
...I'm surprised it wasn't signed Appalled of Tunbridge Wells...Ace is an LTA magazine...what do you expect...? :)
yeah, well, I thought that is was put in for a joke, I bet the editors were laughing!

sartrista7
May 11th, 2004, 10:05 PM
yeah, well, I thought that is was put in for a joke, I bet the editors were laughing!

Well they certainly weren't paying attention to editing. Seriously, that piece of shit rag is such an appalling excuse for journalism... everything is so sloppy, from the standard of writing to the design and layout to the fact checking to the ideas for features to the fucking SPELL-CHECKING... god, even thinking about it makes the journalist in me livid.

Ballbuster
May 11th, 2004, 10:30 PM
African Americans rarely get skin cancer. She's just can't stand to see Serena beat her faves with her ass hanging out.

kosmikgroove
May 11th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Isn't he jumping the gun a little early? We don't even know what Serena will be wearing for Wimbledon! LoL, in any case it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out...

dais
May 11th, 2004, 10:46 PM
It would'nt hurt Serena to "show" a little class and take a page from her sisters book. :angel:

Crazy Canuck
May 11th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Undoubtedly this is one of the people who flipped out in shock and outrage over Janet's nipple.

dreamgoddess099
May 11th, 2004, 10:56 PM
It would'nt hurt Serena to "show" a little class and take a page from her sisters book. :angel:
Oh, you mean like the outfit Venus wore in AO 01? Anyway, Serena has just as much class as she has ass.

dais
May 11th, 2004, 10:57 PM
It just strikes me odd that Venus can look so nice and Serena looks like a bag lady most of the time, { my apologises to bag ladies}

Did anybody get a load of that "catsuit" or her yellow and green outfit? Gawd it was hideous. :eek:

bandabou
May 11th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Well.....the outfit ain´t that bad....if the short was a lil bit longer it would be more than aight. Besides, some of the outfits Venus has worn were waaaaayyyy more revealing than anything Serena´s worn. Wimbledon ´00, Oz open´01 come to mind....but because Serena is soo bodylicious everything gets blown out.

*JR*
May 12th, 2004, 01:06 AM
Well.....the outfit ain´t that bad....if the short was a lil bit longer it would be more than aight. Besides, some of the outfits Venus has worn were waaaaayyyy more revealing than anything Serena´s worn. Wimbledon ´00, Oz open´01 come to mind....but because Serena is soo bodylicious everything gets blown out.
Bandy, you expect too much intelligence from some ppl! :p

"Topaz"
May 12th, 2004, 01:40 AM
Very funny. People used to pick on her "power". Now that most (if not all) of the major players display power in their games, power isn't that bad anymore. At the moment, it's skin and somehow sex. I've seen Hantukova reveal more, or at least try to. But since she doesn't have much of a body, whatever she does there isn't much to see. Maybe it will take players of Rena's corpulence like Kim, Cappy, Pierce to do it before people start giving a break to Lil Sis.

Greenout
May 12th, 2004, 01:50 AM
LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Is this person a Cliff Richard fan? :lol:
Sounds like this person still against women voting, wearing trousers
and having a job other than a housewife!

I'll tell, believe it or not?. One of my favorite tennis outfits has good to
be Serena's black catsuit. That is a classic, and IMHO it was tasteful, fun,
and very cool.

I thought her Miami 2 piece was very appropriate...very MIAMI, South Beach.
Ok- perhaps at WIMBLEDON it would'nt work ;but I hardly doubt she would've
worn it there anyway. Duh.

Personally...I love the shorts, the sleeveless(Yo! Justine!), and even the
surfer girl stuff that NIKE has Myskina, Sharpy and Dani wear. My non-tennis
friends love it too. If you were a teenage girl, those are the outfits you would
purchase. Great for off court too. :)

croat123
May 12th, 2004, 02:23 AM
I think the players should follow k-lina's example and dig out their anna k. outfits :hearts:

Pureracket
May 12th, 2004, 02:59 AM
Maybe if they paid the women as much prize money as they paid the men, the women would be more inclined to follow the "customary tennis attire" tradition.

slice
May 12th, 2004, 06:20 AM
i applaud that person who wrote that article :worship:

i think wimbledon should remain with its traditional clothing attire with the full sleeves and white colour etc...

and serena really shouldnt be getting away with some of the clothes she gets away with these days :rolleyes: she just does it 4 attention and her ass isnt really an asset to be showin off :tape: venus at least has a simple type of clothing that suits her :) just dont wear that frock again :erm:

azza
May 12th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Serenas face is hideous hence her cloths :o

dais
May 31st, 2004, 02:22 AM
Gawd!!! she's wearing pink. The fashion police should be called.

The only taste Serena has is in her mouth. :eek:

Lee-Waters' Boy
May 31st, 2004, 03:05 AM
I can understand people having problems with Serena's outfits. Personally, I don't. But the comment about sleeveless shirts was too much :lol:

GermanBoy
May 31st, 2004, 03:08 AM
I want to see Robby Ginepri and Max Mirnyi sleveless!!! :drool: :lick: :kiss: :hearts: :angel:

SpikeyAidanm
May 31st, 2004, 03:09 AM
This old lady needs some sexual hormones in her coffee.

GermanBoy
May 31st, 2004, 03:10 AM
I can understand people having problems with Serena's outfits. Personally, I don't. But the comment about sleeveless shirts was too much :lol:
The one in the matches vs. Asagoe and vs. Talaja was okay but vs. Kirilenko... :rolleyes: :wazzup:

dais
May 31st, 2004, 04:13 AM
Serena should take a page from Amélie's book. The class of any cat-walk. :worship:

miranda_lou
May 31st, 2004, 04:16 AM
African Americans rarely get skin cancer.

WRONG!!! That's a myth that has caused a lot of people to die from skin cancer.:rolleyes: ANYBODY can get skin cancer, no matter how dark their skin is. A dark-skinned Black person should always wear sun block. Serena knows this since I've seen her put sun block on while sitting in the stands watching Venus play (and vice-versa when Venus is watching Serena). She knows better, thank goodness.

As for Serena's outfits . . . I really hate those shorts. They are way too short. However, the skirt looks good, even though I dislike the diamond-studded belly button.

dais
May 31st, 2004, 04:26 AM
Exactly, you hit the nail on the head.

Eurotennisfan
May 31st, 2004, 04:57 AM
If the WTAtour dis-allowed something...I bet that would make news...a PR dream for the tour.

AjdeNate!
May 31st, 2004, 05:49 AM
I want to see Robby Ginepri and Max Mirnyi sleveless!!! :drool: :lick: :kiss: :hearts: :angel:
I'd go a step further for Robby... shortless! :tape:

miranda_lou
May 31st, 2004, 06:23 AM
I'd go a step further for Robby... shortless!
I'll go even further . . . Robby actually winning a match!!!:lol: :lol: Now, that would make news.:rolleyes: Ever since his "liaison" with Ms. Minnie, the boy hasn't been able to hit a ball and he's fallen about 50 places in the rankings.:mad:

Mr_Molik
May 31st, 2004, 08:28 AM
i wouldnt mind if it was someone actually hot wearing that type of thing but serena :tape: :scared:

irma
May 31st, 2004, 08:36 AM
I am going to start a campagne that beachvolleyball should be forbidden right away :lol:

oh and I am not a fan of serena's outfit. I like the dress way more but the two piece one is nothing more revealing then in other sports not just beachvolleyball so I don't see the problem!

GermanBoy
May 31st, 2004, 02:59 PM
I'd go a step further for Robby... shortless! :tape:
I didn`t want to say shirtless because someone could call me superficial... :angel: ...but you topped that! :lol: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :lol: Thank you for mentioning this fact... :worship:

Princess Fiona
May 31st, 2004, 03:25 PM
Wow... :speakles:

I think that a player should wear what they want to wear as long as they are comfortable!! Whether it be sleeves, no sleeves, catsuit...

Tennis is going to move with fashion and Serena is a young woman interested in fashion... (If I had a body like Serena's I don't know that I would want to cover it up!! ;) Her comfort is the most important thing... )

I haven't read 'Ace' magazine for ages. I can't remember the last time I read it...

tennnisfannn
May 31st, 2004, 03:40 PM
How come knickers are permitted to run in at the olympics? can they be anymore revealing?

Princess Fiona
May 31st, 2004, 03:50 PM
How come knickers are permitted to run in at the olympics? can they be anymore revealing?
We had to wear that style of shorts for PE lessons at school...

Ugh!! :sad: Bad memories come back... *shiver* ;)

dais
May 31st, 2004, 09:58 PM
:) If serena would tone down her color schemes it would help immeasurably. I have to wear shades every time I watch her on T.V.

I hope Jen wipes her out so I wont have to watch her any more. By, By, Serena. :wavey:

dais
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:54 PM
Congratulations to Jen and Myskina on their great victories. :kiss: