PDA

View Full Version : The weakest top ten players of all time

DA FOREHAND
May 11th, 2004, 03:37 PM
It seems to be easier to make the top ten these days so lets list the weakest top ten players of the open era.

Anna Kournikova ( no titles)

Iva Majoli (thanks for the 97 French)

Elena Dem (no second serve)

Daniela Hantu( where are you now?)

Jelena Dokic (See Daniela)

Ai (Oyy vey!)

ßcoene
May 11th, 2004, 03:42 PM
I think this thread is a little too negative. I don't think Majoli being in the top-10 had anything to do with her win at the French Open, or maybe I misunderstand you. The others were also good enough to make the top-10 at one point, so they must have been good or they still are.

emptyhead
May 11th, 2004, 04:06 PM
It's even easier to make Number 1

DA FOREHAND
May 11th, 2004, 04:08 PM
I think this thread is a little too negative. I don't think Majoli being in the top-10 had anything to do with her win at the French Open, or maybe I misunderstand you. The others were also good enough to make the top-10 at one point, so they must have been good or they still are.
Thanks for sharing, and yes you misunderstood what I meant for Majoli, and that's o.k.

It's not about who's good enugh, it's about the strength /consistancy of thier games....

jimbo mack
May 11th, 2004, 04:09 PM
i dont think karina habsudova or barbara paulus did much whilst they were in the top 10

TheBoiledEgg
May 11th, 2004, 04:10 PM
if others were good enough they would have made top 10

making Top 10 is NOT that easy
only 82 players have done so in nearly 30 yrs of Computer Ranks

jimbo mack
May 11th, 2004, 04:11 PM
how can u say that majoli is a weak top 10 player!!!! :fiery:

she was top 10 players for YEARS, and a top 5 player throughout 1996 and most of 97. not to mention her french open grandslam title

nope, majoli was a great top 10 player!!! :)

bandabou
May 11th, 2004, 04:13 PM
No one is doubting those players abilities or anything...itīs just that their results arenīt top 10 worthy...Elena D only last year won her lone three titles, and almost all of them were tier IV or something like that.

Dani H....her LONE highlight is IWī02...gotta have more than that.
Anna K...NO titles and in top 10 even top 8?!

jimbo mack
May 11th, 2004, 04:18 PM
No one is doubting those players abilities or anything...itīs just that their results arenīt top 10 worthy...Elena D only last year won her lone three titles, and almost all of them were tier IV or something like that.

elena dementieva won 2 tier 2's last year (she beat hantuchova, henin and davenport in amelia island) and (sugiyama and rubin in shanghai) plus her title in bali and good results at wimbledon, us open, toronto, new haven, moscow, and paris indoors i'd say she definitely deserved her top 10.

Foot_Fault
May 11th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Anastacia Myskina!!!!!!!!

emptyhead
May 11th, 2004, 04:21 PM
There's nothing wrong with Anastacia Myskina, just your tennis knowledge.

bandabou
May 11th, 2004, 04:23 PM
elena dementieva won 2 tier 2's last year (she beat hantuchova, henin and davenport in amelia island) and (sugiyama and rubin in shanghai) plus her title in bali and good results at wimbledon, us open, toronto, new haven, moscow, and paris indoors i'd say she definitely deserved her top 10.

Shanghai is tier II?! DIdnīt know....o.k., so yeah that warrants her a top 10 rank..

peanuts
May 11th, 2004, 04:23 PM
yea myskina's ranking is a bit inflated right now...

jimbo mack
May 11th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Shanghai is tier II?! DIdnīt know....o.k., so yeah that warrants her a top 10 rank..

only a few players won more than 3 tournies last year, how many did serena win last year? :tape:

bandabou
May 11th, 2004, 04:27 PM
only a few players won more than 3 tournies last year, how many did serena win last year? :tape:

Now, donīt even GO there....4 tournaments in only 7 events and look at this: 2 GSīs,one tier I, one tier II....she defended a tier I AND a major....now tell how many GS-finals or tier I finals Elena D has?!

whorehand
May 11th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Anna achieved that ranking by consistently getting to the latter stages of big tournaments. She earned it.

jimbo mack
May 11th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Now, donīt even GO there....4 tournaments in only 7 events and look at this: 2 GSīs,one tier I, one tier II....she defended a tier I AND a major....now tell how many GS-finals or tier I finals Elena D has?!

:lol:

dont go gettin all defensive, ur too wasy to wind up!

hewittrok
May 11th, 2004, 04:32 PM
It seems to be easier to make the top ten these days so lets list the weakest top ten players of the open era.

Ai (Oyy vey!)Elena doesnt have a first or second serve.

bandabou
May 11th, 2004, 04:35 PM
:lol:

dont go gettin all defensive, ur too wasy to wind up!

Right...with Serena as a fav, no need to get defensive.

jimbo mack
May 11th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Right...with Serena as a fav, no need to get defensive.

graf's my fav, i could never get defensive too ;)

bandabou
May 11th, 2004, 04:43 PM
graf's my fav, i could never get defensive too ;)

:lol: :rolls: No kidding!

!<blocparty>!
May 11th, 2004, 04:44 PM
The WTA rankings DO NOT LIE!

callado
May 11th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Kournikova, Paulus, Myskina, Sugiyama, Martinez, Dokic, Rubin, Dementieva, Coetzer

HectorMagnus
May 11th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Kournikova, Paulus, Myskina, Sugiyama, Martinez, Dokic, Rubin, Dementieva, Coetzer

Excuse me, do you mean Conchita? Ex-queen of clay and Wimby champion? :rolleyes: Yeah, she must be a weak tennis player..... :topic:, upsss, no comment :tape:

Jippo McScally
May 11th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Matinez?! As In Conchita Martinez?! As in the person who's won pretty much every clay court tourny ever and reached all the slam semi's in 1995?!

ys
May 11th, 2004, 05:00 PM

Has wins over 7 #1 players

Grand Slam title for chrissake

Has a very decent record against other Top players. Just experiencing temporary problems.

Certainly

definitely

Ai (Oyy vey!)
During last year, when she reached Top 10 she is by no means a slouch.

There were plenty of much weaker Top 10 players than all listed - like Babsi Schett or Patty Schnyder.

hewittrok
May 11th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Kournikova, Paulus, Myskina, Sugiyama, Martinez, Dokic, Rubin, Dementieva, CoetzerCoetzer has ten titles!

Vass22
May 11th, 2004, 05:14 PM
I disagree with everyone's player's lists. They all deserved it.

hingis-seles
May 11th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Nadia Petrova at #6 without a tournament!

Well, Steffi Graf was ranked as high as #4 before she won her first title, so this is all moot really.

Andrew.
May 11th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Anastasia is a good top 10 player, with wins over Hingis and Mauresmo, but her ranking right now is very inflated. She really isn't a top 5 player.

mandy7
May 11th, 2004, 05:39 PM
danka was top 5, that's not easy
and she'll be back in the top 10 someday

propi
May 11th, 2004, 05:41 PM
:lol: Majoli, Conchita, Amanda there... that's the best joke I've read in years

DA FOREHAND
May 11th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Nadia Petrova at #6 without a tournament!

Well, Steffi Graf was ranked as high as #4 before she won her first title, so this is all moot really.

You're an idiot if you think spending 377 weeks at number one makes one a weak top ten player.

"I disagree with everyone's player's lists. They all deserved it."

Again R.I.F. I never said they didn't deserve to be in the top ten.

A'DAM
May 11th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Stupid thread!!!

[S@nti]
May 11th, 2004, 05:47 PM
there are not weak top 10 players. If they are/were top ten is because they are/were better than the rest. itīs that simple.

Fingon
May 11th, 2004, 05:55 PM

what their results are now is irrelevant,

what their game is now is irrelevant

It only matters what their results were at the time they were top 10.

Majoli can be whatever you like now, but when she was top ten she was a worthy top ten, with a grand slam title.

When Daniela was a top ten she deserved it,

When Jelena was a top ten she deserved it.

It's more fair to analyze how they are at the time they are in the top ten, and then players such as Petrova come to mind, she is a top 10 with no titles, and no big wins with the exception of one against an off-form Capriati, and that is happening while she is top 10.

Even if she wins a title this week, she's spent weeks at the top ten without titles, IMO she would deserve if from this point forward but not before.

You can take Sugiyama as well, she deserved it when she got it, but now her game doesn't seem to be there, so at this moment she isn't playing like a top ten should.

Fat Frog
May 11th, 2004, 06:00 PM

wudn't say she was a weak player...having no titles was down to (bad)luck rather than her ability as a player..she also had to deal with more distractions than most of the other players(even if she did bring a lot of it on herself). However her ability as a tennis player IMHO was never in doubt

Fat Frog
May 11th, 2004, 06:01 PM
oh ya and i agree with most people here..this really is a stupid thread..any player who reached the top10 deserved it

tennisIlove09
May 11th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Weakest top 10ers?

Steffi Graf, Chris Evert, Martina Navratilova, Martina Hingis, Tracy Austin, Venus Williams, Serena Williams, Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin-Hardenne, Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, Lindsay Davenport, Jennifer Capriati, Monica Seles

DA FOREHAND
May 11th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Yep you're right and you should be able to reach number one w/out ever winning a slam...

fammmmedspin
May 11th, 2004, 06:04 PM
I think this qualifies as a top ten illogical thread of all time.

"All time" anywhere but this board is a bit longer than 1997-2004.

Being a top 10 player reflects how well you played relative to other people at the time as judged by the rankings. Its impossible in any one year to say that player 5 deserves it less than player 6 unless you rerun the year with each others opponents and you would still be left to argue who was better by what criteria. All you can do is look at the rankings. You certainly can't compare one year's top 10 with another - who knows if Anke Huber or Jan Novotna playing as they might be playing today with todays technology and training would beat Justine.

You can't judge people's place in the top 10 either by career performance. Rankings are not crystal balls which predict the future - they reflect the past year. Venus wouldn't have not deserved her 1998 ranking if she had taken up kitchen design as a career in 1999. Rankings reflect recent wins and high ones usually include top players. Kournikobva was ranked highly because she beat top players not because she won a few tournaments - which is arguably more creditworthy.

That leaves you with the players on the list. As Ys points out all of those players got their rankings by notable wins. They seem to have been included because they featured less in the Williams era regardless of what they did before the Williams sisters finally emerged. Don't know why Ys includes Patty or Barbara in his list as they also got their ranking by winning tournaments and beating top players. Patty's record of beating top ten (top 1) players is so good that sensible top 10 players still think of her as a top ten opponent if they have any sense.

Finally we have to ask if these were not top ten players what on earth were the top players that they beat? Kournikova and Schnyder have draws of number one scalps which by the threads's logic would imply that practically every recent number 1 was a poor player. Indeed Dementieva seems to have done quite well recently against "top" players just like Schett before her. As for Myskina, who usually features in these threads ,how many of the top 10 have beaten the two top players recently?

hingis-seles
May 11th, 2004, 06:07 PM
You're an idiot if you think spending 377 weeks at number one makes one a weak top ten player.

"I disagree with everyone's player's lists. They all deserved it."

Again R.I.F. I never said they didn't deserve to be in the top ten.

If you actually took the time to read what I had posted, you would notice that I had written that Nadia is ranked #6 and without a title to her name, but even Steffi was ranked #4 before she won her first title, hence it being a moot discussion.

Learn to read, you uneducated boor!

SelesFan70
May 11th, 2004, 06:08 PM
In no particular order....

Andrea Temesvari
Kathy Rinaldi
Carling Bassett
Helena Sukova
Claudia Khode-Kilsch
Ai Sugiyama
Nadia Petrova
Anna Kournikova :rolleyes:

DA FOREHAND
May 11th, 2004, 06:09 PM
I think this qualifies as a top ten illogical thread of all time.

"All time" anywhere but this board is a bit longer than 1997-2004.

Being a top 10 player reflects how well you played relative to other people at the time as judged by the rankings. Its impossible in any one year to say that player 5 deserves it less than player 6 unless you rerun the year with each others opponents and you would still be left to argue who was better by what criteria. All you can do is look at the rankings. You certainly can't compare one year's top 10 with another - who knows if Anke Huber or Jan Novotna playing as they might be playing today with todays technology and training would beat Justine.

You can't judge people's place in the top 10 either by career performance. Rankings are not crystal balls which predict the future - they reflect the past year. Venus wouldn't have not deserved her 1998 ranking if she had taken up kitchen design as a career in 1999. Rankings reflect recent wins and high ones usually include top players. Kournikobva was ranked highly because she beat top players not because she won a few tournaments - which is arguably more creditworthy.

That leaves you with the players on the list. As Ys points out all of those players got their rankings by notable wins. They seem to have been included because they featured less in the Williams era regardless of what they did before the Williams sisters finally emerged. Don't know why Ys includes Patty or Barbara in his list as they also got their ranking by winning tournaments and beating top players. Patty's record of beating top ten (top 1) players is so good that sensible top 10 players still think of her as a top ten opponent if they have any sense.

Finally we have to ask if these were not top ten players what on earth were the top players that they beat? Kournikova and Schnyder have draws of number one scalps which by the threads's logic would imply that practically every recent number 1 was a poor player. Indeed Dementieva seems to have done quite well recently against "top" players just like Schett before her. As for Myskina, who usually features in these threads ,how many of the top 10 have beaten the two top players recently?blah blah blah

You can and we have judged the aforementioned players. I don't understand why people who have a problem w/a particular thread go on to post in that very thread.

Thanks for sharing.

Eurotennisfan
May 11th, 2004, 06:09 PM

Hantuchova made the QF of every slam (beating Justine along the way)
Her IW win was really impressive against a Hingis who had beaten Monica Seles something like 3 and 3 in the earlier round.

Jippo McScally
May 11th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Ys, why have you name Patty? When she reached the Top Ten she had 5 titles and 2 Grand Slam Quarters!

fammmmedspin
May 11th, 2004, 06:21 PM

Andrea Temesvari
Kathy Rinaldi
Carling Bassett
Helena Sukova
Claudia Khode-Kilsch
Ai Sugiyama
Nadia Petrova
Sukova begs the question if she could get to GS finals how much worse by your criteria were the rest of her top 10? Kournikova got there by beating a string of top players including Graf and Hingis - you can't judge her by her post 31 double faults form. Ai got there by winning tournaments and taking out Kim - some people have won GS for doing little more. Petrova is there because she is more successful than 4 people below her and she has some good wins - why is this less praiseworthy than winning a tier 3 (or Tier 1 with no top opposition)? Pretty sure I wouldn't want Petrova in my Q at the French. The others seem to fall into the who else category - obviously no one else was better so how do you compare their performance against other people who were not up against Navratilova, Evert and Graf.

emptyhead
May 11th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Had Anna Kournikova remain injury free she would have become Number 1

DA FOREHAND
May 11th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Had Anna Kournikova remain injury free she would have become Number 1
LOL

And you'd grow a brain and a dick!

bandabou
May 11th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Her IW win was really impressive against a Hingis who had beaten Monica Seles something like 3 and 3 in the earlier round.

Of course....but since then?! nada!!

Knizzle
May 11th, 2004, 07:12 PM
I don't remember her making the QF at the French?? :scratch:

Joseosu19
May 11th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Majoli was comfortably in the top ten already pre Roland Garros 97---check your info.

Coezter reached #3, so she was CLEARLY not a weak top 10er.
Rubin has been in the top 10 in multiple years, and has been pretty consistant.
Martinez was a grandslam winner and in the top 10 for like 12 years or something.

Kart
May 11th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Natalie Tauziat.

Any objections ?

croat123
May 11th, 2004, 08:45 PM
iva was a very strong top 10 player. she had been in the top 10 for almost three years before 97 and remained in the top 10 til after rg in 1998. she won 9 titles (all tier II and above) on 3 surfaces and was dominant on both clay and carpet. she has wins over hingis, seles, asv, martinez, novotna, sabatini, davenport, testud, tauziat, and many more (that i'm too lazy to remember) and all of those players were in the top10 at the same time she was.

Declan
May 11th, 2004, 08:48 PM

Andrea Temesvari
Kathy Rinaldi
Carling Bassett
Helena Sukova
Claudia Khode-Kilsch
Ai Sugiyama
Nadia Petrova

Kathy Rinaldi was a deserved member of the Top Ten for two years from the middle of 1985 (after reaching the Wimbledon semi-finals, note!) to just before Roland Garros in '87 when she suffered a career-threatening injury which kept her out for more than a year and from which she was unfortunately never able to return to her old level...She won three career titles in singles, and was twice a Quarter-finalist at the French as well as her Wimbledon semi-final; 'name' victims included Mandlikova, Shriver, Wade, Sukova, Kohde-Kilsch, Kathy Jordan, Novotna, Ruzici, Hanika, Fromholtz, Garrison, McNeil, and the mighty Steffi Graf- twice! Oh, and she twice took sets off Martina Navratilova at Slams in her glory years - the French in '82 and Australian in '84.

Dava
May 11th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Anyone whos been in the top 10 has deserved to be there, and are all in my eyes greats of the game. We can joke about Annas lack of titles, laugh at Elenas second serve, Iva's well...lack of...everything, but they all got their by WINNING TENNIS MATCHES. Not FHM reader polls, not by fan favoritism. Sure players may not have been on the tour, but I doubt there has ever been a time where all the players in the top 20 has been fully fit.

These girls work there butts off to gain success, and achieved it, and nobody can take that away from them. They could probably cain most of the readers on this board 6-0 6-0 anyway.

bandabou
May 11th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Anyone whos been in the top 10 has deserved to be there, and are all in my eyes greats of the game. We can joke about Annas lack of titles, laugh at Elenas second serve, Iva's well...lack of...everything, but they all got their by WINNING TENNIS MATCHES. Not FHM reader polls, not by fan favoritism. Sure players may not have been on the tour, but I doubt there has ever been a time where all the players in the top 20 has been fully fit.

These girls work there butts off to gain success, and achieved it, and nobody can take that away from them. They could probably cain most of the readers on this board 6-0 6-0 anyway.

Yep....and still get double bageled themselves in a real match as well...

pcrtennis
May 11th, 2004, 09:42 PM
AI SUGIYAMA DESERVES EVERY SECOND SHE HAS BEEN IN THE TOP TEN! :bounce: :worship: :wavey: She defeated Clijsters, Capriati, Henin-Hardenne, Davenport, Zvonareva, Petrova and many, many others on the way!! I don't understand the point in naming the "weakest top ten players"!! :confused: :rolleyes: :o They all deserve to be there.
Also, Ai is simply in a slump since this is her worst surface. Even the best of the best have slumps!!! ;) :D

GoDominique
May 11th, 2004, 09:46 PM
I guess Dominique Monami hasn't been mentioned only because no one remembers that she was in the top 10. :sad:

bandabou
May 11th, 2004, 09:49 PM
You guessed right...( talking about weak! :lol: j/k)

Black Mamba.
May 11th, 2004, 10:06 PM
I believe that a weak top 10 is present when you have players outside of the so called top ten who can beat most if not all of the current top ten on a consistant basis.

Ryan
May 11th, 2004, 10:36 PM
I think most peopel here are mis-interperting the topic. This is "weakest top 10 players". Not "players that didn't deserve to be top 10". Everyone who makes the top 10 deserves it, but DaF was just talking about players he believed were 'weakest' of those who did make the top 10, not an illogical thread at all.

WhatTheDeuce
May 11th, 2004, 10:44 PM
I think most peopel here are mis-interperting the topic. This is "weakest top 10 players". Not "players that didn't deserve to be top 10". Everyone who makes the top 10 deserves it, but DaF was just talking about players he believed were 'weakest' of those who did make the top 10, not an illogical thread at all.
Well, I see your point and I've realized it all along...

Though I wouldn't include Anna Kournikova on the list. When she was top ten she was an amazing player (could have been even better) and she's done almost EVERYTHING except win a title.

switz
May 11th, 2004, 10:57 PM
what a stupid thread. sad how people go looking to cause trouble.

bandabou
May 11th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Well, I see your point and I've realized it all along...

Though I wouldn't include Anna Kournikova on the list. When she was top ten she was an amazing player (could have been even better) and she's done almost EVERYTHING except win a title.

Thing is that is what matters the most: winning a title.

Greenout
May 11th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Iva Majoli in 1997 was an incredible player. Did you even see RG 1997?
She had the magic stick, none of shots were errors, nothing was wrong.
It was one of those perfect weeks of tennis for Iva.

switz
May 11th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Ys, why have you name Patty? When she reached the Top Ten she had 5 titles and 2 Grand Slam Quarters!

1) he hates patty (i suspect is he TBE's evil other half)

2) he could never admit that a russian shouldn't have been there

Patty came into 98 ranked around 30. she won Hobart beating top 10 Van Roost in the final, made the 4th round of the Australian Open losing to Venus, won Hannover beating top 10 Majoli and No. 2 Novotna in the final, won Madrid beating top ten Martinez and Sanchez-Vicario and other quality players i can't remember i can't remember, made roland garros quarter-finals beating no.4 coetzer and losing eventual champ sanchez vicario in 3, won 2 titles in palermo and maria-linkwitz back 2 back, makes GS Clup beating novotna and hingis and loses final to venus in 3, US Open Quarter-finals beating MJ Fernandez and Steffi Graf in straight sets, Awarded Most Improved Player of the Year by WTA, start of 99 wins gold coast beating in form pierce to break into top ten - then of course she mean rainer no.1 and her career sent to hell for a while.

Anyone with a decent ranking followed by those results would have been in top ten. the fact that her ranking plummeted so quickly testifies to that. And now she going to be back in the top 10 by the end of the year because she has finally found some consistancy: GS semi, tier I semi, 3 retirements from tournaments, and only 1 straight sets loss this year. i do't care what anyone else thinks.

Greenout
May 11th, 2004, 11:20 PM
It's a silly thread. [WEAKEST top 10 player]? this comment is an
oxymoron, with the emphasis on "moron". ;)

FarinaLover
May 11th, 2004, 11:21 PM
barbara schett

Leo_DFP
May 12th, 2004, 01:15 AM
Elena doesnt have a first or second serve.
Neither does Capriati, but that didn't stop her from winning three Slams.

~ The Leopard ~
May 12th, 2004, 01:22 AM
Anna achieved that ranking by consistently getting to the latter stages of big tournaments. She earned it.
Sammy is on the money.

Gowza
May 12th, 2004, 01:30 AM
this is debatable. i dont think how weak a player is should be based on titles for 1. petrova is number 6 and has not titles so does that make her the weakest? at the time anna was a pretty good player. atm she's no where but when she was in the top 10 (which is when she should be judged) she was playing pretty well.

iva she won RG im not sure what else she did i cant really comment on her as i wasnt following tennis at the time.

elena d when she first entered the top 10 was playing great tennis, atm ur right her second serve isnt very good but she's in the top 10 isnt she? she's there she deserves it.

dani and jelena, when they got into the top 10 and for most of the time while in there (at least in jelena's case) they were playing good tennis. the year dani got in the top 10 at the AO (before she actually got in the top 10) she really pushed venus and looked like a top 5 player and venus was playing very well at the time. where they are now is irrelevant at the time they were not weak top 10 players.

i agree this thread is very negative and i dont really like it but i needed to speak my opinion to be satisfied with myself.

Je_ne_sais_quoi
May 12th, 2004, 01:50 AM
Farina Elia?

pcrtennis
May 12th, 2004, 01:52 AM
Farina Elia?

She was never in the top ten... :confused: :rolleyes:

Steam
May 12th, 2004, 02:34 AM
Sammy is on the money.
Pretty much.

What people seem to fail to realize or convienently forget is that when Anna was in top form she didn't play any lower tournaments. Of course, hindsight says that that probably wasn't the best move but that doesn't take away the point that its a fact.

You would like to think though that with all the fucking quarterfinals and semifinals she would have been to able to breakthrough at least once. I still think that Eastbourne '98 was going to be it but such is life.

slice
May 12th, 2004, 05:17 AM
fuck off jelena wasnt a weak top10 player! :fiery: no1 is weak if they make it to the top 5! she was at her best when she was in the top 10... beating justine, mauresmo, jen, seles, dementieva, conchita, pierce, myskina, kournikova (at her hottest), hingis, and many more players when they were at their peak... PLUS she was only one of a select few players who was able to take serena to a TB in 2003 :D

she was NOT weak at all! :rolleyes:

Fingon
May 12th, 2004, 05:23 AM
Neither does Capriati, but that didn't stop her from winning three Slams.
wrong,

Capriati rushes to serve and some times it goes wild, but when she manages to hit it in, it's a good serve, and even though Capriati's serve is unreliable it's 10,000 times more reliable than Dementieva's.

Talking about Elena, I like her and it angers me that she is so stubborn to not understand the importance of her problem, she is not going to reach her potential with that serve. It's only a matter of time before players get used to the very slow pace and kill each and everyone of them. Instead of getting annoyed when somebody asks her about it she should start working to get it better. Judging by her recent performance, it has gotten worse, not better.

Pamela Shriver
May 12th, 2004, 06:18 AM
None of you are right. The weakest top ten player is ChrissieE.

Why she could not bench press a frozen pea.

peanuts
May 12th, 2004, 07:06 AM
None of you are right. The weakest top ten player is ChrissieE.

Why she could not bench press a frozen pea.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SerialKiller#69
May 12th, 2004, 07:21 AM
At the time most of the girls were in the Top 10, no one would call them weak.

Stefwhit
May 12th, 2004, 08:25 AM
To all those who utter the name "Iva Majoli"...you know nothing about tennis!!!!

The top ten has been litered with countless players who have acheived far less than she has. Iva is nowhere near the top of a list like that. When she was in the top ten (I believe she was actually ranked #4 on two different times,) she was amongst the best players in the world (duh) and definietely a top contender... Early in her career she became the lowest seed to have won the French Open managing to be the only player on tour that year to beat Hingis in a Grand Slam. And late in her career Iva Majoli became the lowest ranked player to win a Tier I event (ranked at #58).

If you are judging Iva by her tennis as of late (the last few years,) then that's the dumbest thing immaginable since she is no longer ranked anywhere near the top 50, let alone top 10!!

crazillo
May 12th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Karinas Habsudova
Barabara Schett
Katerina Maleeva
Julie Halard-Decugis

SpikeyAidanm
May 12th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Sugiyama.

kart_veteran
May 12th, 2004, 01:42 PM
making Top 10 is NOT that easy
only 82 players have done so in nearly 30 yrs of Computer Ranks

Does someone happen to have a list of those 82 players? That'd make it easier to objectively pick a few players.

Now, most people are just picking a few players who they don't like, and who were active in the past 5 years.

I think you should handle the question in this topic like this:

If Player A retires, and her list of career achievements say: "highest rank: #9". Will you say: "yeah, a former top 10 player, that's how I remember her, quite a nice career". Or will you say: "hmm, i never knew she was ever ranked that high, must have missed something, i only remember her as a mediocre top30 player". Those last group of players should be mentioned here.

GoGoMaggie
May 12th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Indeed the topic is more or less negative but not so illogical either. It's not a question of if the player deserves it or not. There have been top ten players who got there owing to weak fields due to injuires and etc. and stayed there briefly. They still managed to reach there and so they must have been better then mediore players but then we can compare the past top 10 players and discuss who was the biggest fluke.
Since I can't be bothered to check all the past top 10 players, I will mention those who come up in my mind now. Karina Habusdva, Barbara Schett and Paulas, Julie Halard,

Spunky83
May 12th, 2004, 04:43 PM
I disagree with everyone's player's lists. They all deserved it.

This is indeed a stupid thread. E.g. Myskina lost in the first round today, never gotten into a semi at a grand slam, but managed to win Leipzig last year or Moscow (Tier I), this year in Doha. Whatīs the point in being a top ten-player? No one can say that a top ten players must have a good second serve or a good backhand etc., there must be something else which make them a top ten player, thereīs just no chance to cheet on this.

Coetzer Fan
May 12th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Anna Kournikova
Sabine Hack
Julie Halard-Decugis
Barbara Paulus
Nathalie Tauziat
Barbara Schett
Nadja Petrowa
Karina Habsudova